Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Exorcist: 40th Anniversary Edition

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default The Exorcist: 40th Anniversary Edition

I posted this in the What are you currently reading? thread, but wanted to single it out for its own thread, as I know lots of us here like this novel:

http://www.theninthconfiguration.com/#aug32011

Dear TNC.com readers - a bit of new and exciting news from Bill regarding the 40th Anniversary Edition of The Exorcist!

Dear Ryan,

I forgot to tell you that the 40th Anniversary Edition of The Exorcist will have a touch of new material in it as part of an all-around polish of the dialogue and prose. First time around I never had the time (meaning the funds) to do a second draft, and this, finally, is it. With forty years to think about it, a few little changes were inevitable -- plus one new character in a totally new very spooky scene. This is the version I would like to be remembered for.

All the best,
    Bill
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/0062094351/

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Wow!! What a gyp!!!

CD did this one not too long ago and not only did I think it to be the definitive edition, but also very nicely done by the boys and girls at CD:

Only to find out he had another up his sleeve!!! Damn, don't seem fair!!

Edit: Well at least it's cheap enough!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I too have this edition. The 40th Anniversary Edition, however, sounds like it will have different text, sort of like the Revised Gunslinger. So it's worth having both for the different versions of the novel.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I read that book a long time ago. It scared the hell out of me.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I too have this edition. The 40th Anniversary Edition, however, sounds like it will have different text, sort of like the Revised Gunslinger. So it's worth having both for the different versions of the novel.
    Oh, I hear ya and I'll most likely get it for approx. $20 all in. However, you'd think he could have added that text to the CD edition? Oh well, I guess for $20 I should'nt complain, but I mean really? LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, it's lame. I feel the same about King adding a story to the paperback of FD,NS and not to the edition that cost a few hundred dollars.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

William Peter Blatty? For this obvious money-grab...........................................

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Amazon shipped my copy. Should be cool.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Amazon shipped my copy. Should be cool.
    Mine too!!! And I saved .17 cents off the pre-order price to boot!!!! Now its burning a hole in my pocket!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I actually can't wait to see what Blatty added in!!! I have to admit even though I'm a little cheesed he didn't release the new material in the CD edition.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

The book is here! Very attractive dust jacket, and the interior design is very cool. Too bad there's no intro by Blatty talking about the revision process. This goes next to the CD edition

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It was a great book to begin with and I see no good point in a revision personally.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just got mine today as well. Handsome publication, but I'm gonna break a rule and read it. Looking forward to discovering the new material.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com/books...ist/about.html
    The Exorcist: The 40th Anniversary Revised Limited Edition
    by William Peter Blatty
    featuring original artwork by Caniglia

Sold Out In Less Than 30 Hours!

The Exorcist: The 40th Anniversary Revised Limited Edition

Earlier this year, William Peter Blatty announced that he had revised his original manuscript for THE EXORCIST to be published as a special 40th Anniversary edition.

Lonely Road Books will be publishing a deluxe, oversized, slipcased and signed Limited Edition of this version of the book next year. This edition will feature full-color artwork by Caniglia and will be limited to just 374 copies of the Limited Edition and 26 copies of the Lettered Edition, making it an extremely collectible edition.

About the Revised Special Edition:
    For the special 40th Anniversary Edition of The Exorcist, William Peter Blatty has returned to the manuscript, reworking portions of the book that never satisfied him. Due to financial constraints and a pressing workload at the time, he was forced to forego a desired revision. "For most of these past forty years I have rued not having done a thorough second draft and careful polish of the dialogue and prose," Blatty says. "But now, like an answer to a prayer, this fortieth anniversary edition has given me not only the opportunity to do that second draft, but to do it at a time in my life—I am 83—when it might not be totally unreasonable to hope that my abilities, such as they are, have at least somewhat improved, and for all of this I say, Deo gratias!" Among the changes, Blatty has added a chilling scene introducing the unsettling minor character of a Jesuit psychiatrist.

About the Book:
    The Exorcist, one of the most controversial novels ever written, went on to become a literary phenomenon: It spent fifty-seven weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, seventeen consecutively at number one.

Inspired by a true story of a child's demonic possession in the 1940s, William Peter Blatty created an iconic novel that focuses on Regan, the eleven-year-old daughter of a movie actress residing in Washington, D.C. A small group of overwhelmed yet determined individuals must rescue Regan from her unspeakable fate, and the drama that ensues is gripping and unfailingly terrifying.

Two years after its publication, The Exorcist was, of course, turned into a wildly popular motion picture, garnering ten Academy Award nominations. On opening day of the film, lines of the novel's fans stretched around city blocks. In Chicago, frustrated moviegoers used a battering ram to gain entry through the double side doors of a theater. In Kansas City, police used tear gas to disperse an impatient crowd who tried to force their way into a cinema. The three major television networks carried footage of these events; CBS's Walter Cronkite devoted almost ten minutes to the story. The Exorcist was, and is, more than just a novel and a film: it is a true landmark.

Purposefully raw and profane, The Exorcist still has the extraordinary ability to disturb readers and cause them to forget that it is "just a story." Published here in this beautiful special Limited Edition, it remains an unforgettable reading experience and will continue to shock and frighten a new generation of readers.

About this Special Edition:
    With an oversized page size and an extremely low print run, this special edition will feature a high-quality paper stock, a deluxe binding selected from the finest materials available, and cover artwork and original illustrations by Caniglia. This stunning special edition will be like no other book in your collection.

Limitation Information:
    • Limited Edition: 374 signed copies bound in a deluxe material with full-color illustrations, a full-color dust jacket, and housed in a custom-made slipcase ($100)

• Lettered Edition: 26 copies, with all the special features of the Limited Edition, plus a different type of high quality binding, a full-color dust jacket, housed in a custom-made deluxe traycase ($500)

Nice. Well, I got the trade at least.

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.cemeterydance.com/page/CDP/PROD/o_blatty01
    In January 1968, I rented a cabin in Lake Tahoe to start writing a novel about demonic possession that I'd been thinking about for many years. I‘d been driven to it, actually: I was a writer of comic novels and farcical screenplays such as A Shot in the Dark with almost all of my income derived from films; but because the season for "funny" had abruptly turned dry and no studio would hire me for anything non-comedic, I had reached James Thurber's stage of desperation when, as he wrote in a "Preface to His Life," comedy writers sometimes take to "calling their home from their office, or their office from their home, asking for themselves, and then hanging up in hard-breathing relief upon being told they 'weren't in.'" My breaking point came, I suppose, when at the Van Nuys, California, unemployment office I spotted my movie agent in a line three down from mine. And so the cabin in Tahoe where I was destined to become the caretaker in Stephen King's terrifying The Shining, typing my version of "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" hour after hour, day after day, for over six weeks as I kept changing the date in my opening paragraph from "April 1" to April something else, because each time I would read the page aloud, the rhythm of the lines seemed to change, a maddening cycle of emptiness and insecurity — magnified, I suppose, by the fact that I had no clear plot for the novel in mind — that continued until I at last gave up the cabin and hoped for better luck back "home," a clapboard raccoon-surrounded guest house in the hills of Encino owned by a former Hungarian opera star who had purchased the property from the luminous film actress, Angela Lansbury, and where I finally overcame the block by realizing that I was starting the novel in the wrong place, namely the Georgetown section of Washington, D.C., as opposed to northern Iraq. Almost a year later I completed a first draft of the novel. At the request of my editors at Harper and Row, I did make two quick changes: cleaning up Chris MacNeil's potty mouth, and making the ending "less obvious." But because of a dire financial circumstance, I had not another day to devote to the manuscript, so that when I received a life-saving offer to adapt Calder Willingham's novel Providence Island for the screen for Paul Newman's film company, I instantly accepted and left my novel to find its fate. For most of these past forty years I have rued not having done a thorough second draft and careful polish of the dialogue and prose. But now, like an answer to a prayer, this fortieth anniversary of the novel has given me not only the opportunity to do another draft, but to do it at a time in my life — I will be 84 this coming January — when it might not be totally unreasonable to hope that my abilities, such as they are, have at least somewhat improved, and for all of this I say, Deo gratias!

— William Peter Blatty

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Discuss "The Exorcist/Legion"

Hope I have this in the right forum. With the recent publication of the CD "The Exocist/Legion" and "The Exorcist, 40th Anniversary Edition", I for one embarked on a re-read of the books.

So I thought it worth digging up the old discussions arising from those books regarding "Good vs Evil" and "Did Father Karras win in his battle against Pazzuzu"? Feel free to move onto other story related discussions as these books were certainly polaring tales at the time and I submit still stand the test of time.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It has been a few months since I read The Exorcist, but for the life of me can't remember if Father Karras was the younger or older priest. Need to refresh my memory...lol...will get back when I do remember.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Merlin, would you mind if I moved it to the Mansion? That's where we are discussing such books

a wonderful thread, thank you! I hope I'll be able to take part after I've re-read both. I love The Exorcist, and I absolutely adore Legion.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Merlin, would you mind if I moved it to the Mansion? That's where we are discussing such books

a wonderful thread, thank you! I hope I'll be able to take part after I've re-read both. I love The Exorcist, and I absolutely adore Legion.
    Feel free to move it where you feel it should be and my apologies for my over enthusiasm. Your In-box is full again! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

moved! it seems a good place for it, so you can disregard my PM altogether. I will try to clear some space, though

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    It has been a few months since I read The Exorcist, but for the life of me can't remember if Father Karras was the younger or older priest. Need to refresh my memory...lol...will get back when I do remember.
    or better still, when you've re-read the book! it is totally worth it

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I probably will after I find Legion. Another book to look for...hehehe...

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I probably will after I find Legion. Another book to look for...hehehe...
    Well Darling, I've heard through the grapevine that you have read "Legion" and are working on "The Exorcist". Your thoughts and opinions? Enquiring minds wants to know!!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

where do I begin?.....lol...I love how they brought Kinderman's character out for Legion. I thought as I was reading The Exorcist that he needed a book to tell his story and well there it is. Heehee. He has a way of getting answers that need answering but does it in a way that you don't realize that he has done it. His sarcastic ways are what I adore about his character, especially about the carp!

His 'theory' which is throughout the whole of the story is subtle and doesn't bog you down like some other books do that I have read earlier in my reading history.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

where do I begin?.....lol...I love how they brought Kinderman's character out for Legion. I thought as I was reading The Exorcist that he needed a book to tell his story and well there it is. Heehee. He has a way of getting answers that need answering but does it in a way that you don't realize that he has done it. His sarcastic ways are what I adore about his character, especially about the carp!

His 'theory' which is throughout the whole of the story is subtle and doesn't bog you down like some other books do that I have read earlier in my reading history.
    Good stuff!!! He is a character for "The Ages" so to speak. Glad you enjoyed it!!!

28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh it was a splendid read for me. I just wish I would have found these books when I was younger. There aren't that many books that I would re-read and these are definitely going to be "read to death" as my mother used to say....lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast