Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: King's Role in SoS

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Default King's Role in SoS

Today I was thinking generally about King's role in Song of Susannah.

Did you like his appearance in the novel?

Do you think King created Roland by writing about him or did Roland already exist and King just wrote about him?
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Erin?? What is this "Awesome topic night"?

Personally, like King says in the book he's not Gan, but sings Gan's song. So in the process of writing about Roland and his quest he gives force to it. But is definitely not a puppeteer, nor do I think of Gan as a puppeteer. There is always a chance that things go differently because of the Red King's will.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know what came over me tonight.
    I am Daenerys Stormborn and I will take what is mine. With fire and blood.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

I like it a lot.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, this is cool - I was online until midnight last night, so I wasn't expecting to have much to do when I came to the board this morning

When I first read the books and got to King's role in them, it really jarred me at first. See, when I'm reading - it doesn't matter where I am, alone or with people, somewhere quiet, somewhere noisy - if I get into the story I'm simply not there at all while I'm reading. I totally get transported by a good book.

But when SK first put himself in the tale it was as if I'd been thrown back into my chair and reality with a bump. There was too much realism in it, but not in a good way. Then, I kinda started to enjoy it because it started to make sense - plus the writing was still good, and King furthered the plot and gave it a new twist as a character, instead of being self ingratiating.

Now, whenever I'm rereading, I can't imagine the book without King being in it.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought it was very cool of himself to included him self, expessily with all his faults

Expessily?

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

When I first read the books and got to King's role in them, it really jarred me at first. See, when I'm reading - it doesn't matter where I am, alone or with people, somewhere quiet, somewhere noisy - if I get into the story I'm simply not there at all while I'm reading. I totally get transported by a good book.
    Exacly what I was thinking. After rereading, I liked it a lot better, and it made sense in the end. But the first time I didn't like it. At all.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Thank you for expessing that Daghain.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm in Daggers boat. At first I was a little put off by it but I believe King understands his fans are deep thinkers and will eventually figure that kind of thing out.

Seems all together necessary for sure now, when its re thought
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I was pretty excited to see King portrayed in the book. I had NO idea where it was going, but his first encounter with Roland was hilarious! And, as it progressed, it DID work.

I know it took the series in a new direction, and for some, it killed their adventure. For me, it deepened it.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    I was pretty excited to see King portrayed in the book. I had NO idea where it was going, but his first encounter with Roland was hilarious! And, as it progressed, it DID work.

I know it took the series in a new direction, and for some, it killed their adventure. For me, it deepened it.
    This is exactly what I felt. Now Bill, get the hell out of my mind. Its deadly in there.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post

This is exactly what I felt. Now Bill, get the hell out of my mind. Its deadly in there.
    It's quite cluttered too!!! You need some housekeeping up here!!!

Good idea.

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't like it. For me, it was one of the things that bogged down the last few books. I didn't think it was done badly. I just think it shouldn't have been done.

King really should have asked me before pulling that shit.

He asked me and I said "hell yeah, go ahead. Especially to piss off this guy Cozener"

Otter of the Prim cozener will become famous soon enough cozener will become famous soon enough cozener's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I knew you were in on it you fuckwad!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Expessily?
    Damn right. Welcome back

Traveler Sinistar is on a distinguished road Sinistar's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Lol...King did manage to pull it off but I just didn't like the whole Deus Ex Machina concept here. Doesn't mean I'm not a deep thinker...am so!!!!!
    "What have I become? My sweetest friend...everyone I know goes away in the end...and you can have it all...my empire of dirt...I will let you down...I will make you hurt..." --Trent Reznor

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistar View Post
    Lol...King did manage to pull it off but I just didn't like the whole Deus Ex Machina concept here. Doesn't mean I'm not a deep thinker...am so!!!!!
    For me I like that the "deus ex machina" part went only so far, its even mentioned several times that King is the conduit but not Gan. I dig the concept and its cosmic implications within the saga.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Right, It basiclly stated that King could only do so much, like CK said, only a minor role

Well I wouldn't say minor, I would more say that he is not actually creating these folk and events but "the pipe, not the water that flow through it" and to go a little farther, not the source of the water.

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

right, thats a better explaination, well said

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Well I wouldn't say minor, I would more say that he is not actually creating these folk and events but "the pipe, not the water that flow through it" and to go a little farther, not the source of the water.
    Reminds me of the great Carlos Santana quote that the music is the water and the audience is the plant, he is just the hose. I agree, I don't think King necessarily "created" anybody. He's a functionary of ka to help get people in the right place. What they do when they get there is freewill.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast