Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: King's Role in SoS

Blaine the Terror Train Mad Man is on a distinguished road Mad Man's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

*hints at "fiction"* - but yeah i got it now, what you mean at least In this case it depends from a view to life if i think about it like that then yeh it would be absurd without him but i don't think about it like you i guess

I am the one I am the one
    The godlike terror train
    The superior, artificial brain
    Feel free to call me Blaine!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

but then, as I suggested before, you must be equally dissatisfied with other references (Seven Samurai, Wizard of Oz, etc), as well as the origin of Roland himself as Browning's Childe Roland?

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

To be honest...i'm not. Those things doesn't bother me at all Perhaps the reason would be that they're also fictional.

The godlike terror train

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry if this doesn't seem related to King being in SOS, but one thing bugged me about it. Eddie's on a mission in the book to learn where Co-op City is, Brooklyn or the Bronx. Aaron tells Eddie that Co-op City is in the Bronx, always has been. Eddie asks King where it is and he says it's in Brooklyn, same as the world where Eddie is from...1984 is it?...This is July 9, 1977. Does King say that cause he's confused? Is this a mind trap? This world that Eddie and Roland are visiting at the time is the key world, we get there in SOS and in the next book, so what gives?

Traveler ImprisonedNtheDarkTower is on a distinguished road ImprisonedNtheDarkTower's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Today I was thinking generally about King's role in Song of Susannah.

Did you like his appearance in the novel?

Do you think King created Roland by writing about him or did Roland already exist and King just wrote about him?
    I really liked Kings role in SOS. To me, it was just another little twist to get a smile out of me. And make me want to keep reading just to see what exactly what piece of the puzzle he was playing.

In King's fantasy land. I believe Roland already existed. And the Character of King just helps out with his part of Ka.

John F. Kennedy Anastasia is on a distinguished road Anastasia's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When King first wrote about himself as some author of Salem's Lot I really didn't expect there be a continuation and he'll put himself in person into the books. So, when Roland and Eddie decided to go and see him it was a real twist! But truely a good one. I mean it was one of the things I really liked in SoS.
    But at the same time I can't still decide how I feel about it. I mean wether King made up the Roland's world and the characters or they already existed. I finished the book just yesterday, so I need to think it over again

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
    When King first wrote about himself as some author of Salem's Lot I really didn't expect there be a continuation and he'll put himself in person into the books. So, when Roland and Eddie decided to go and see him it was a real twist! But truely a good one. I mean it was one of the things I really liked in SoS.
    But at the same time I can't still decide how I feel about it. I mean wether King made up the Roland's world and the characters or they already existed. I finished the book just yesterday, so I need to think it over again
    I have been thinking a lot about it and now I think
    Spoiler:
    SK is a protector of the Tower. He is a Beam guardian. Yes, he writes about the Tower but he didn't create it (not in the series). When he is writing down the story of Roland he makes the Beams stronger. He has power in his words but he is just a servant, too. A servant of the Beams. Of the Tower. But not Gan.

Roland would have understood.

John F. Kennedy Anastasia is on a distinguished road Anastasia's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Spoiler:
    SK is a protector of the Tower. He is a Beam guardian. Yes, he writes about the Tower but he didn't create it (not in the series). When he is writing down the story of Roland he makes the Beams stronger. He has power in his words but he is just a servant, too. A servant of the Beams. Of the Tower. But not Gan.
    Actually yes, I tend to agree with you. (should I put a spoiler?)
    Spoiler:
    SK (the character of DT) doesn't seem to me being a Gan even though Roland thought he is at first. But then who made him write this story? And what does help him to have effect on everything going on (such as passing that note to Jake, for example)?

Traveler chris777 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    When I first read the books and got to King's role in them, it really jarred me at first. See, when I'm reading - it doesn't matter where I am, alone or with people, somewhere quiet, somewhere noisy - if I get into the story I'm simply not there at all while I'm reading. I totally get transported by a good book.
    Exacly what I was thinking. After rereading, I liked it a lot better, and it made sense in the end. But the first time I didn't like it. At all.
    Agree 100% I was actually pissed off that he would do that. It felt to me like it was a narcistic thing. Roland and Eddie calling Stephen King a GOD?! Comon man...Now reading it more it makes a little more sense. TBH i'd rather it not have happened at all. But considering Pere, and Flagg, and everything else...it makes sense.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

The more I read and think about it, the less it appeals to me. I need to find that picture of him in SOS and write "metafiction fail" underneath.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by obscurejude View Post
    I need to find that picture of him in SOS and write "metafiction fail" underneath.

Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    I need to find that picture of him in SOS and write "metafiction fail" underneath.

Perfect.

I looked and looked, but couldn't find one online. The picture I was thinking of is actually in DT 7, but I don't have a scanner. I'll figure out a way, hopefully.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The more I read and think about it, the less it appeals to me. I need to find that picture of him in SOS and write "metafiction fail" underneath.
    Is there a pic of him?
    I have never seen it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
    Spoiler:
    Actually yes, I tend to agree with you. (should I put a spoiler?)
    Spoiler:
    SK (the character of DT) doesn't seem to me being a Gan even though Roland thought he is at first. But then who made him write this story? And what does help him to have effect on everything going on (such as passing that note to Jake, for example)?
    To answer to your questions:
    The Beam or the Tower did. Or maybe he just has this special talent that he can write about other existing people's life... he can feel the other worlds but just when he is writing.

Is there a pic of him?
    I have never seen it.
    Yeah, there's one that's in the "this haze of green and gold" section if I'm not mistaken. Its been a while for me, and my books are buried under several others at the moment.

Country
    Country Flag

Is there a pic of him?
    I have never seen it.
    Yeah, there's one that in the "this haze of green and gold" section if I'm not mistaken. Its been a while for me, and my books are buried under several others at the moment.
    Wow, I would be interested in it.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no scanner, but here.

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Thanks Brice. I had a really hard time finding that online for some reason. Couldn't seem to come up with the right search tags.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't use search tags. I just know where all the art from the books is online. It was my pleasure to help.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

and where would that be?

The godlike terror train

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't name that site.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

The godlike terror train

Country
    Country Flag

Oh thank you, Brice. The nice thing is that I have this pic in my SOS but somehow I forgot tha it's sai King.
    silly me

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

You're welcome, Letti!

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Man View Post

oh, very well...

Spoiler:
    thedarktowercompendium

If you rescue me

Traveler Cravinsky will become famous soon enough Cravinsky's Avatar

After being directed to this thread by Jean (for which I say thankee-sai) and reading the responses and contrasting opinions, I feel I should share my own. I am on my first read-through of the series and have just finished the part in SoS where Roland and Eddie meet Stephen King, I had already known King played some role in the series before I reached this part, and I had been looking forward to it as the concept of it really sounded interesting. My first opinion however was similar to others who believe it just should not have been done, it pulls away from the story and seems very narcissistic at points (as mentioned already the idea of Roland and King being so similar they might be brothers, as well as the general idea of King being this godlike figure which Roland falls onto one knee for). However I've taken on a lot of what has been said, especially the ideas conveyed by Jean, the fact of the matter is that the Dark Tower concerns all universes, so why should it not include our own? And if our universe is to be included you could not ignore the importance of a man who writes about Roland and the Dark Tower, it's almost as if it really connects us as the reader to the series, or at least tries to, by showing that indeed our own world hangs in the balance as much as any other.

I conclude in my head and heart that the concept behind King's role is both required and certainly interesting, its execution was perhaps poorly handled in some areas but I'm sure by the time I finish the series it will all fall into place and I might reconcile with my own opinions on a second read-through.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast