Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Book Dedications

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone willing to post an explanation that is correct and less than ~100 words?
    It will go into the Catalog entry.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Lets see what Jim says in his letter then condense it for the catalog.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Lets see what Jim says in his letter then condense it for the catalog.
    Looking forward to it.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Starting with "The Long Walk", what info is there about Jim Bishop, Burt Hartlen and Ted Holmes?
    I just purchased The Long Walk from Jim Bishop - inscribed to him by SK. He is sending along a letter of provenance explaining the dedication and inscription. Ill post when I receive it. Hatlen was his English teacher University of Maine. Jim is actually still at the University and I believe was also one of his teachers. I did ask Jim if he knew who Susan Artz was (thinking she was also from the University) but he has no idea who she is.
    Really nice. Books inscribed to the dedicatee (the so-called dedication copy) are premium prizes.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

11/22/63 is dedicated to Zelda...I can't remember the exact wording, but am assuming that it's Owen and Kelly's daughter.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    11/22/63 is dedicated to Zelda...I can't remember the exact wording, but am assuming that it's Owen and Kelly's daughter.
    Awesome!!!

AND coincidently, my 4,000th post!!!!! Yay, Merlin!!!

LOL LOL

Thanks Karen!!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    AND coincidently, my 4,000th post!!!!! Yay, Merlin!!!
    ...this week!

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Starting with "The Long Walk", what info is there about Jim Bishop, Burt Hartlen and Ted Holmes?
    I just purchased The Long Walk from Jim Bishop - inscribed to him by SK. He is sending along a letter of provenance explaining the dedication and inscription. Ill post when I receive it. Hatlen was his English teacher University of Maine. Jim is actually still at the University and I believe was also one of his teachers. I did ask Jim if he knew who Susan Artz was (thinking she was also from the University) but he has no idea who she is.
    Really nice. Books inscribed to the dedicatee (the so-called dedication copy) are premium prizes.
    Agreed! Still waiting for it to arrive...

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by DanishCollector View Post
    They were his teachers in college (or high school) and they read the novel in its first draft and urged him to keep on writing...or something like that.
    Any link or book to look in to verify that info? I don't doubt you, but "Confirm twice, publish once" is how I want to verify before I enter the info in The Catalog.
    All three (Jim Bishop, Ted Holmes and Burt Hatlen) were teachers at the University of Maine and all were influential and encouraging to SK. Still waiting for - and looking forward - to the letter from Jim.

My Mood
    Twisted

Still cant find out anything about Susan Artz. Maybe the name was changed to protect the innocent...

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

On the german SK page, ´we´ have the translated versions of ´several dedications:

http://www.stephen-king.de/buecher-u...widmungen.html

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Ewwww....wasn't Zelda Louis Creed's sister in law that was the "dark secret" kept in the back room as a child until she died?

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Gunslinger Apprentice scstandpipe is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post

Ewwww....wasn't Zelda Louis Creed's sister in law that was the "dark secret" kept in the back room as a child until she died?

That's what I thought of first...although I think it was Louis's wife Rachel's older sister who died of spinal meningitis; now I can't get the male actor who played Zelda in the movie out of my head!!!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

11/22/63 is dedicated: For Zelda, welcome to the party.
    Any idea who Zelda is?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

It's his newest grandchild. He explains this in the Afterword.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah, thanks. I haven't read the book yet.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

He planned to dedicate it to someone else (I won't say who) changed his mind when the new family member arrived.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    He planned to dedicate it to someone else (I won't say who) changed his mind when the new family member arrived.
    Perhaps to Bev?

Wouldn't that have been a kick in the pants? No, to another author whose work he identifies as being inspirational for this book.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

TWTTK:

This is for Robin Furth and the gang at Marvel Comics.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Joyland: For Donald Westlake
    Westlake is a writer.

The Dark Man: In Memory of Carroll F. Terrell, scholar and friend.

Doctor Sleep:

When I was playing my primitive brand of rhythm guitar with a group called the Rock Bottom Remainders, Warren Zevon used to gig with us. Warren loved gray t-shirts and movies like Kingdom of the Spiders. He insisted I sing lead on his signature tune, “Werewolves of London,” during the encore portion of our shows. I said I was not worthy. He insisted that I was. “Key of G,” Warren told me, “and howl like you mean it. Most important of all: play like Keith.”
    I’ll never be able to play like Keith Richards, but I always did my best, and with Warren beside me, matching me note for note and laughing his fool head off, I always did my best.
    Warren this howl is for you, wherever you are. I miss you, buddy.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Very cool inscription. I've said this before, but its worth stating again (at least to me) that I met Warren Zevon before he reached fame. I heard Werewolves of London before it was even released! That and a few other songs as well! All on the island of Kauai in 1977 I think.
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you to jhanic for the dedication from Revival:

This is for the people who built my house:

Mary Shelley

Bram Stoker

H. P. Lovecraft

Clark Ashton Smith

Donald Wandrei

Fritz Leiber

August Derleth

Shirley Jackson

Robert Bloch

Peter Straub

And ARTHUR MACHEN, whose short novel
    "The Great God Pan" has haunted me all my life.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My pleasure!

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast