Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 188 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 138 ... LastLast
Results 2,176 to 2,200 of 4697

Thread: General Television Discussion

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree, but there must be enough people who like it for the networks to keep churning them out.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I would never say they should go away. There's still a place for them. I just notice that as I get older, I have moved away from those kinds of shows. Even shows like Blindspot and Blacklist would benefit from shorter seasons. Shows like that really struggle to stay fresh for 22 episodes. I wouldn't mind seeing shorter seasons (13 episodes) on networks like we see on cable.

Quantico is a perfect example. The show started out strong, but by episode 15, they started having to reinvent new storylines. It felt like a completely new season in a way.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Even shows like Blindspot and Blacklist would benefit from shorter seasons. Shows like that really struggle to stay fresh for 22 episodes. I wouldn't mind seeing shorter seasons (13 episodes) on networks like we see on cable.
    Took the words out of my mouth. If those shows had shorter seasons (like premium networks and Netflix are known to do), they would be so much stronger, tighter, and focused on a narrative level. TV has the opportunity to do what movies can't in really developing characters, plot, setting, etc. over a series of eight or twelve or twenty-two hours, but sometimes the extra time is a negative. Because if you're making a 22-episode season, you need 22 hours of compelling story. It seems like networks are still under the impression that more is more. Take The Blacklist for example. It would've been an excellent 12-episode mini-series. The filler would be cut, each case-of-the-week, and we'd know Red's relationship with Liz in no time.

And I thought the same thing about Quantico. I watched the pilot last fall out of curiosity and it ended up being one of my new favorite shows. But midway through it did seem like they were stretching it out. If they would've cut the episode order in half, it would've been even better. I can't imagine if each season of Homeland was 22 episodes. It's different with comedies, but it's hard with dramas that have a season-long arc.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I've been saying this for a while, too. It was a problem with Quantico and also with The Blacklist. I really like the BBC model of series with 4, 8, 10 or 12 episodes. Anything more, and the show sags in the middle.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Anyone see "The Quarry?" Premiered on Cinemax I believe Friday. About Vietnam vet from 1972 that can't find a job and is approached by someone with a job: to be a hit man. I thought it was interesting and well done so far.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I've been saying this for a while, too. It was a problem with Quantico and also with The Blacklist. I really like the BBC model of series with 4, 8, 10 or 12 episodes. Anything more, and the show sags in the middle.
    It seems too many episodes these days, makes shows out to be fillers with main concepts shown in 5 of the 20 plus episodes. It seems 10-13 episode shows are overall done the best. Though I feel 10 episode seasons are ended too short.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

In all honesty I never watch shows on prime time networks like NBC or FOX because - while the premises are initially intriguing and full of verve - they all eventually delve into a formulaic 'case of the week' framework while advancing the core narrative minimally each episode. Then you have 20+ episodes of season with all that filler stuffed in there. No thanks.

Pretty much if it's not on HBO, AMC or Netflix original content I don't even bother with it.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    In all honesty I never watch shows on prime time networks like NBC or FOX because - while the premises are initially intriguing and full of verve - they all eventually delve into a formulaic 'case of the week' framework while advancing the core minimally with each passing week. Then you have 20+ episodes of season with all that filler stuffed in there. No thanks.

Pretty much if it's not on HBO, AMC or Netflix original content I don't even bother with it.
    I am pretty much starting to think this way to man...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    In all honesty I never watch shows on prime time networks like NBC or FOX because - while the premises are initially intriguing and full of verve - they all eventually delve into a formulaic 'case of the week' framework while advancing the core minimally with each passing week. Then you have 20+ episodes of season with all that filler stuffed in there. No thanks.

I am pretty much starting to think this way to man...
    It's a shame you guys are right and you can mention dozens of shows falling into this type of television. Shows like Arrow and the Flash are pretty great with the characters (likable) and so forth. But, with being 20 plus episodes and running past season 2, you see the filler and repetitiveness that is being brought up. My complaint for several years has been Supernatural. Amazing show with fast cars, hot women, hard rock music, cool characters......and now on season.....27? And it is the same repetitive story line since season 5 ended. What once went down as a possible top 10 show of all time for me, is now a shell of once was .

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Last season was it for me when it comes to Flash, Arrow and all that. Too many GOOD things to watch that do not get tiring... 16 Episodes is the MAX... and there is so many out there that are worth a watch!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Last season was it for me when it comes to Flash, Arrow and all that. Too many GOOD things to watch that do not get tiring... 16 Episodes is the MAX... and there is so many out there that are worth a watch!
    I can't just quit. I still like Arrow and Flash, but the repetitiveness is apparent and wearing on me. I'm waiting for the new show on FX with Tom Hardy. Excited but cautious on the Exorcist Frday the 23rd.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    It seems too many episodes these days, makes shows out to be fillers with main concepts shown in 5 of the 20 plus episodes. It seems 10-13 episode shows are overall done the best. Though I feel 10 episode seasons are ended too short.
    Even then, a show can surprisingly drag. Like Bates Motel. Despite how short those seasons are, they occasionally feel like dragging, especially when focusing on sub-plots that aren't half as interesting as the main story. But there are definitely plenty of shows that are able to cram in a lot of plot for a 10-hour story, too. Fargo especially was one I adored.

It probably says a lot about us Brits that we've basically stuck to 6 eps per series for a lot of shows, especially sitcoms. Then again, most shows only have one or two writers a series in those cases, and sometimes, it can be several years before a show comes back (looking at you, Red Dwarf), so it's a really different model for UK television altogether.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't mind sitcoms with 20+ episode seasons if the writing is good (The Mindy Project, The Big Bang Theory). That really goes for any genre. See: The X-Files, I Love Lucy, etc. The number of episodes doesn't matter if the writing isn't there.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Comedies are a little different though. Most of them don't have overarching story arcs and thus don't require them to move toward an end game with a sense of urgency.

Stuff like Seinfeld, Married With Children, Everybody Loves Raymond etc., aren't really 'about' anything so they don't have to deviate too much from the "life in the day of xyz" format.

I do agree with you though, good writing is good writing regardless of genre.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Watched the "Son of Zorn" pilot. Really funny! He-Man fans should get a kick.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

In all honesty I never watch shows on prime time networks like NBC or FOX because - while the premises are initially intriguing and full of verve - they all eventually delve into a formulaic 'case of the week' framework while advancing the core narrative minimally each episode. Then you have 20+ episodes of season with all that filler stuffed in there. No thanks.

There are a few exceptions, at least initially. Then they lose their way. How to Get Away with Murder is a good example. The first season was really solid. Then season 2 happened and they had a hard time stretching the premise.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Country
    Country Flag

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Just started watching Supergirl. Calista looks great. I guess 50 really is the new 40.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Just started watching Supergirl. Calista looks great. I guess 50 really is the new 40.
    I love Supergirl (and the whole Arrowverse).

Country
    Country Flag

You know I did too but when your talking 80ish episodes a year from the current four shows... it gets OLD AND STALE real quick... this year i will be passing and not watching any of them.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't got into the Arrowverse yet but I've been enjoying Supergirl.

Country
    Country Flag

This year is the year to watch them because of that epic four-show crossover event. If you're into comics, this is pretty much porn.

Country
    Country Flag

I know eh? I love that shit.. alas, time is not on my side and I had to cut some stuff out. Dropped a lot of shows... if I am not pumped to see it... then it is see ya later!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    This year is the year to watch them because of that epic four-show crossover event. If you're into comics, this is pretty much porn.
    So what are the shows I need to watch? I'm a bit out of it with these ones.

Country
    Country Flag

It's Arrow, The Flash, and Legends of Tomorrow: https://geekritique.net/2015/05/19/a...logical-order/

All are (or will be) available on Netflix. There's a separate Arrowverse thread here as well.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 88 of 188 FirstFirst ... 38 78 86 87 88 89 90 98 138 ... LastLast