Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 188 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 135 185 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 4697

Thread: General Television Discussion

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I actually had to laugh at this:

http://deadline.com/2016/08/viewers-...es-1201797735/
    Nearly half of viewers say they wait until they’ve heard good things about a show before they will start watching it, said Alan Wurtzel, NBC’s President of Research and Media Development, today at TCA.

“It’s one of these things where, like, ‘Don’t waste my time on stuff that I’m really not going to like,’ and that puts a pretty big burden on us to essentially get people to kind of sample a program,” Wurtzel explained.

Presenting a brain-blistering amount of data on viewing trends based on NBC’s research, Wurtzel also revealed that, in a sort of Catch-22, more than half of people said that even if they hear good things about a show, “‘If I can’t see [previous] stuff before I go to the new episodes, I’m not gonna watch it’.”

“That’s a big deal….Everybody in the business has to take heed of that 54%, because it’s a huge issue,” he said.

And of particular interest to network execs before the start of the new TV season, 72% said they were more likely to start watching a returning series this fall on broadcast networks if they had access to all the past episodes on demand or online, to catch up.

“This is what people want,” Wurtzel says of the new data showing people want to watch stories in a coherent narrative order. “And we have to figure out a way to get it to them.”
    They're just starting to figure it out? Why would I start watching a new season of an ongoing show if I can't catch up with previous seasons easily?
    Are they talking about people that have already watched the show and just want to re-watch the old episodes as a refresher or people that have never seen the show at all?

My wife falls into the former group. She always wants to watch the previous season of a show before the new one starts to catch up. If it's the latter, well then DUH!!! Who would jump into a show like say The Walking Dead without watching previous seasons? You would have no idea who anyone was or why you should care about them at all. Unless it's a show like American Horror Story where watching the previous seasons has very little bearing on new seasons. But even then there are certain things you pick up that you otherwise wouldn't if you hadn't watched previous seasons.

As far as waiting to hear good things about a show, I've had a number things that I've watched simply because I saw a commercial or a trailer and thought it looked like something I might enjoy. This has burned me a few times because I'll get into it and then it's not successful enough and gets cancelled. Whispers was a good example of that. I'm still waiting and hoping that Superstore comes back for a 2nd season.

Then there are the shows that I hear lots of good things about but I just never get around to watching them. Things like Lost, Breaking Bad, Shameless and Orange is the New Black...
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    My wife and I have been watching Blloodlines on Netflix. I remember a few people talking about it but now that Stranger Things has come out it seems everyone has forgotten about it.

We are just about done with season 1. It's interesting that they would show a flash-forward to how the season is going to end as the very first scene of the show. I also kinda like how they keep showing the same flashbacks (and a few more flash-fowards) but every time they add a little more detail or dialogue to it.
    I liked the first season well enough. It wasn't exactly must-see TV for me -- I struggled with it at times -- but I'm glad I stuck with it. Now I need to find time for the next season.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    My wife and I have been watching Blloodlines on Netflix. I remember a few people talking about it but now that Stranger Things has come out it seems everyone has forgotten about it.

We are just about done with season 1. It's interesting that they would show a flash-forward to how the season is going to end as the very first scene of the show. I also kinda like how they keep showing the same flashbacks (and a few more flash-fowards) but every time they add a little more detail or dialogue to it.
    I liked the first season well enough. It wasn't exactly must-see TV for me -- I struggled with it at times -- but I'm glad I stuck with it. Now I need to find time for the next season.
    Same. It is truly a well acted show, with nothing going on. Season 2, the last 2 episodes were really good. You have to dredge through the others though.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    I actually had to laugh at this:

http://deadline.com/2016/08/viewers-...es-1201797735/
    Nearly half of viewers say they wait until they’ve heard good things about a show before they will start watching it, said Alan Wurtzel, NBC’s President of Research and Media Development, today at TCA.

“It’s one of these things where, like, ‘Don’t waste my time on stuff that I’m really not going to like,’ and that puts a pretty big burden on us to essentially get people to kind of sample a program,” Wurtzel explained.

Presenting a brain-blistering amount of data on viewing trends based on NBC’s research, Wurtzel also revealed that, in a sort of Catch-22, more than half of people said that even if they hear good things about a show, “‘If I can’t see [previous] stuff before I go to the new episodes, I’m not gonna watch it’.”

“That’s a big deal….Everybody in the business has to take heed of that 54%, because it’s a huge issue,” he said.

And of particular interest to network execs before the start of the new TV season, 72% said they were more likely to start watching a returning series this fall on broadcast networks if they had access to all the past episodes on demand or online, to catch up.

“This is what people want,” Wurtzel says of the new data showing people want to watch stories in a coherent narrative order. “And we have to figure out a way to get it to them.”
    They're just starting to figure it out? Why would I start watching a new season of an ongoing show if I can't catch up with previous seasons easily?
    I know, right? Half the reason I don't watch many current shows is that there's so fucking much to catch up on in the first place!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    I can't tell you. I will say that Ives main or real tormentor is revealed in episode 1 of season 3 which I was ecstatic about. Dr. Jekyl pops up. He is from India.....and absolutely amazing. A new character, a woman, who is like a badass joins the fun. I like her. And an Indian chieftain who is in everything when you see him is helping out as well. Many new and great characters. Closure......sort of not really. You just assume things. Logan talked about it after the finale and it makes sense when he explains it. Whenever you watch and finish it Ricky let me know.
    Spoiler:
    Well, I watched the final two episodes last night. I really liked the finale. And the final battle with EVERYBODY in it was really, really good.

I'm fine with the characters' ends for the most part. Not everyone got a big send-off "moment" like Vanessa, but it seems like we left them in good enough places where we can kind of imagine where they go and what they do next.

And I agree with you about the new characters. Generally it seems like shows add a bunch of random new characters in their final seasons and they suck. In the case of Penny Dreadful, I loved all the new characters this season, especially Dr. Seward and Catriona. I would watch a spin-off just about Dr. Seward. Such a kick-ass character. I loved her "Fuck him" line about Dracula and laughed out loud.

My main problem with this season (aside from it being over) is that it feels like, because Logan knew this was the end, he tried to cram so much stuff into these 9 episodes. It feels like we could've easily gotten two or three seasons from the material that was in Season 3.

I also feel that enough time wasn't given to Dracula's attempted courting of Vanessa and the aftermath of that; the whole "end of days" thing in the final couple episodes EASILY could have stretched out half a season. Just think how awesome that would be. End of Season 3, the final scene is Vanessa getting bitten by Dracula. Then all of Season 4 (instead of the last two episodes of Season 3) is assembling everyone to save her, just like they did with Mina.

Like I said before, the splitting up of the characters didn't really work for me. Though it may have had everything not felt as rushed.

So, though I'm sad it's over, I'm fairly satisfied with the end we got for the characters.

Also, this made me laugh:

https://www.gofundme.com/2b2r9qxw
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I can't tell you. I will say that Ives main or real tormentor is revealed in episode 1 of season 3 which I was ecstatic about. Dr. Jekyl pops up. He is from India.....and absolutely amazing. A new character, a woman, who is like a badass joins the fun. I like her. And an Indian chieftain who is in everything when you see him is helping out as well. Many new and great characters. Closure......sort of not really. You just assume things. Logan talked about it after the finale and it makes sense when he explains it. Whenever you watch and finish it Ricky let me know.
    Spoiler:
    Well, I watched the final two episodes last night. I really liked the finale. And the final battle with EVERYBODY in it was really, really good.

I'm fine with the characters' ends for the most part. Not everyone got a big send-off "moment" like Vanessa, but it seems like we left them in good enough places where we can kind of imagine where they go and what they do next.

And I agree with you about the new characters. Generally it seems like shows add a bunch of random new characters in their final seasons and they suck. In the case of Penny Dreadful, I loved all the new characters this season, especially Dr. Seward and Catriona. I would watch a spin-off just about Dr. Seward. Such a kick-ass character. I loved her "Fuck him" line about Dracula and laughed out loud.

My main problem with this season (aside from it being over) is that it feels like, because Logan knew this was the end, he tried to cram so much stuff into these 9 episodes. It feels like we could've easily gotten two or three seasons from the material that was in Season 3.

I also feel that enough time wasn't given to Dracula's attempted courting of Vanessa and the aftermath of that; the whole "end of days" thing in the final couple episodes EASILY could have stretched out half a season. Just think how awesome that would be. End of Season 3, the final scene is Vanessa getting bitten by Dracula. Then all of Season 4 (instead of the last two episodes of Season 3) is assembling everyone to save her, just like they did with Mina.

Like I said before, the splitting up of the characters didn't really work for me. Though it may have had everything not felt as rushed.

So, though I'm sad it's over, I'm fairly satisfied with the end we got for the characters.

Also, this made me laugh:

https://www.gofundme.com/2b2r9qxw
    Agreed. Devil's advocate though showed me one thing. From when the characters are together working together, they work and defend each other very well. Like season 3, when they are apart trying to figure themselves out or deal with their problems and dilemmas, they don't necessarily fail, but they can't handle it alone. I'm fine with this as it showed these characters did well together when together. As for the main antagonist, yes, they could have gone on and on with him and it would never get old....at least for me. Overall it was one of my favorite shows I have seen in a long time, just disappointed it didn't have one more season since their isn't too much out their I truly fall in love with.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

My Mood
    Confused

As for Penny dreadful, when it comes out as a complete set, I will buy it on blu ray. I enjoyed it that much. Still haven't pulled the trigger on Breaking Bad, but one day I will. Just too many King books to save up for lol.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As for Penny dreadful, when it comes out as a complete set, I will buy it on blu ray.
    I have S1 and 2 on DVD. I just saw in Wal-Mart that they had them both together for like $30. Don't know about Blu-Ray though.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm on the fence about watching Falling Water. I have to really be careful with what I watch this Fall. I just don't have the time to watch as much stuff as I used to. I don't want to get sucked in because I end up having to stick with the stuff I start with.

Exhibit A: I still have to watch the last 2 episodes of Blindspot.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

That trailer for Falling Water reminds me of The Event and Revolution. In other words, shows that start well but have NO IDEA how to end the first season, let alone the series.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    I have to really be careful with what I watch this Fall. I just don't have the time to watch as much stuff as I used to. I don't want to get sucked in because I end up having to stick with the stuff I start with.
    Took the words right out of my mouth. And even putting aside the time we have to watch TV, there's just so much of it now, thanks to broadcast networks, premium channels, Hulu, Netflix, etc. More watching avenues=more shows=TV watching as a full-time job.

And about sticking with what you started with, I feel that way too, but especially this past fall season: Scream Queens, Blindspot, Veep, and some others. They all have their moments of greatness which sucks because those are the moments where I'm like, "Well, maybe it'll get better," and it suckers me into watching the rest of the 22-episode season.

Still haven't decided if I'm going to stick with those three. They may be "back burner" shows for me, like Ray Donovan (still haven't started this summer's season yet).

As for new shows, I want to check out Timeless, but am not totally convinced that it won't be dragged out and more case-of-the-week stuff like Blindspot.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I am super excited for the start of the new American Horror Story season. Ricky any word on when that new Baby Jane show is going to be?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

All I've seen is a 2017 air date, nothing specific. Maybe they'll go for January, if they want to have something after AHS finishes its season. And I think I might actually watch AHS live this year. I always wait for the DVD to come out so I can binge-watch, but the secrecy around this season is intriguing me. Plus, I don't want to have the theme, characters, etc. spoiled if I were to wait until the DVD comes out. I just finally got around to watching Coven this summer.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Makes sense, maybe they will. I'm really looking forward to it. And I'm super curious about the theme this year as well. There's been some pics posted that lead to a possible theme, but I won't say if you don't want to know. And if it's real then I'm extra excited for this season.

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    There's been some pics posted that lead to a possible theme, but I won't say if you don't want to know. And if it's real then I'm extra excited for this season.
    Yeah, I did see those. If that ends up being the theme, they could really do anything with it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Makes sense, maybe they will. I'm really looking forward to it. And I'm super curious about the theme this year as well. There's been some pics posted that lead to a possible theme, but I won't say if you don't want to know. And if it's real then I'm extra excited for this season.
    The promos for the upcoming season have been super creepy. I enjoyed AHS: Hotel, but I felt like something was missing all season.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

I agree, Hotel is one of my least favorite seasons. I hope this season makes a comeback.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't seen Hotel yet. Hulu has everything except that season.

They will probably rerun it prior to the new season though.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

Just started The Night Of on HBO. I wanted all episodes to air so I can just binge it all in a day or two. I'm only halfway through episode one but it's damn good and intense.

Country
    Country Flag

How halfway through the show. This is amazing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 188 FirstFirst ... 35 75 83 84 85 86 87 95 135 185 ... LastLast