Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 188 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast

Thread: General Television Discussion

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

anyone have any thoughts about the new show starting tonight called "The Event". It is starring Jason Ritter and Blair Underwood as the main characters of the show. seems to be on the lines of Flash Forward, meaning the genre.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm really excited to see the Pilot tonight. I have no idea what the "Event" could be, and according to some interviews I've read, neither do the writers. I hope that's not the case though and that I'm not disappointed.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Another US show with an intriguing premise? That'll be another show that won't be in the UK for at least 6 months - they still haven't shown Persons Unknown over here yet. And US fans complain about getting Dr Who 2 weeks later than us!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

But....that's soooooo long It's like.....14 whole days, even! Practically half a whole month! And you really expect us to wait that long?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Hmmm. You do have a point. It is Doctor Who, after all. It's ten times more brilliant than most other shows out there, so two weeks is more unreasonable in that case!

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Finally! Someone understands!
    It's okay, though...I rarely catch it when it airs, so I wait a long time, some episodes. Really, it just depends on how lazy I am.
    Do I look for it online and wait for it to download or watch the DVD I just got from Netflix? But soon it will be Doctor Who discs - I can't wait!

Right now, it's Undeclared: the complete series. I'd actually never heard of it but the main guy is played by one of my favorite actors, and it's really quite funny!

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tempus Frangit View Post
    Did anyone else just watch Boardwalk Empire on HBO? I've been looking forward to this show and have to say I was pretty impressed. I love the 1920s, and I know I'm going to keep loving this if it stays this good.
    This looked so good. Unfortunately I don't have HBO
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

We just signed up for some special kind of cable on our new tv, and got HBO for like 3 months as a bonus. It really is so awesome. My parents definitely are not going to subscribe after it runs out, and I don't know what I'm going to do without it
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Use the internet for watching your favourite shows instead...?

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Hmmm, seeing that the Lost thread has new posts, it's really reminded me that I really need to get round to watching seasons 5 and 6! I'd love to finally join in on that discussion! And if two Doctor Who boxsets weren't released over the next couple of months, i'd probably have 5 and 6 by now! Ah well. Just another reason for me to get a job, methinks!

- Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I watched the Pilot of The Event the other night and I thought it was pretty good! It set up alot and it seems like there's going to be tons of interesting situations going on. Though, I am suprised that they went the route of (what I'm guessing to be)
    Spoiler:
    parallel universes
    in the first episode!

It had a couple of interesting twists so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes. Hopefully it won't be canceled already.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

What channel in the US is the Event on, Ricky? That should tell you whether it'll get cancelled or not.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

It's on NBC. I've had disappointments with cancellations with just about every major network so I can't make a guess based off of that.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, is it trying to be the new Lost? Does it have an ongoing mystery and therefore you have to tune in every week to get what's going on?

If it is, then it's got no chance, at least not for lasting more than one whole season, two at most, and that's if it's lucky. Lost was extremely lucky due to constant promotion, word of mouth and the fact that ABC clearly had a lot of faith in J.J. Abrams already with Alias. But because of Lost, too many networks are essentially looking for the next Lost, and therefore want mystery shows that people will want to tune into every week, but if the hook's not good enough, then no one will watch. Also, the writers of Lost were clever: it didn't really begin at a fast pace, not in the early episodes of the first season, at least. All you really needed to know was that these guys were people who had crashed on an island. Made it a perfect jumping on point for the first season or so. It's only with the final episodes that you really needed to watch every single ep, but by then it had it's core ongoing audience.

If a show begins with a total mystery and just about begins to explain it in the first episode, then people who tune into the second are gonna have no fucking idea what's going on. Already, you've got a failure on your hands if that happens: if people can't jump on board the second or even the third ep, the show's got no chance of success. Oh sure, people who are likely to forget it might just use Tivo, but honestly, does anyone really bother to use Tivo unless it's a show they really like already? Doctor Who, back in the very beginning, might have also had this problem of no one paying attention (especially since President Kennedy had just been shot the day earlier), if the makers hadn't bothered to show the first episode again just before the second the week after.

If a show is perfect to jump onto at any point and is also of high quality then it will do incredibly well, not just in the US but in the UK, too. If it's trying to have a concept as awesome as Lost and hope that the core audience will watch it immediately from the first episode and be hooked every week, then it's highly likely that it's doomed to fail. Just my thoughts on it, anyway.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, it did have a very action-packed beginning but I'm not so sure that it'll impact it negatively. Time will tell. I'll be interested to see the ratings for sure.

My prediction: The Event will at least see the end of season 1.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yeah, it just depends on when the ending happens. Like the US version of Life on Mars: the UK got two successful series out of it and one 1 spin off that was surprisingly decent, the remake however got cancelled at 17 episodes but they did get to resolve it. How? By tagging on a mega-dumb, mega-cheesy ending that shat all over the original. ABC bastards!

- Melike

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

"Gabe could you lower yourself? I'm tired of talking to your crotch."
    - Jo, The Office Season premiere TONIGHT

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

We've yet to get season 5 of the Office (US) over here. Which is a shame, because I must admit, I have enjoyed the remake a great deal, and it's been better than I've thought. It's so very different to the original, but not too much. It's very much it's own show. I just hope the seasons after season 4 have maintained the high level of quality. Personally, i'm looking forward to the 5th season of 30Rock: one of the funniest shows I've ever watched, to be honest! Can't get enough of it!

- Melike

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I hear this is Steve's last season on The Office. I think if he leaves, it will go down hill.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

If he leaves, they shouldn't have to worry about trying to maintain the quality of the show: they should just have the good sense to just end it. Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant were lucky, in this respect: when they thought they were pretty much done with it, they finished it. Maybe they did finish it a bit too soon at only 14 episodes, but the realism of the original is one of the reasons why I love it.

- Melike

Country
    Country Flag

The Office premiere last night was nothing short of amazing. I can't count how many times I laughed out loud. It was very refreshing to see them going back to the "good" Office format of pranks and stupid humor because last season was...not good.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Good sign for them to end it now, then: better to end it on an amazing high than a limp low. Especially if Carrell is definitely leaving the show!

- Melike

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Entertainment Weekly chose their "5 Shows That Changed TV" - stating "Television has gotten better than ever over the past 20 years. Here's the five reasons why." - by Ken Tucker

1. Twin Peaks
    2. The X-Files
    3. Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    4. The Real World
    5. The Shield

While I'll agree with probably the top 4 listed there... it's easy to see how The Real World ended up spawning dreck like "Real Housewives" and "Jersey Shore".
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Entertainment Weekly chose their "5 Shows That Changed TV" - stating "Television has gotten better than ever over the past 20 years. Here's the five reasons why." - by Ken Tucker

1. Twin Peaks
    2. The X-Files
    3. Buffy The Vampire Slayer
    4. The Real World
    5. The Shield

While I'll agree with probably the top 4 listed there... it's easy to see how The Real World ended up spawning dreck like "Real Housewives" and "Jersey Shore".
    I never seen 4 of those 5 shows.

I've watched a few seasons of The Real World depending on the cast but I haven't watched in years because now it's just a bunch of whiny obnoxious 20-somthings that like to get drunk, create lots of drama and wouldn't know what the "real world" was if it slapped them in the face.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

The thing is - when it started, for say, the first two or three seasons, Real World was actually a pretty good show. It wasn't the train wreck of self-centered-celebrity-hounds you see today.

I think I agree with the list, except I was never a fan of The Shield, so can't really understand why that might be included.

Also, understand that this is strictly their list for the last 20 years ( which explains the absence of some pretty major shows ).
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 188 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 37 77 127 ... LastLast