Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 188 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 121 ... LastLast

Thread: General Television Discussion

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Matt Berry makes me swoon. If only the Snuff Box theme song were a little longer, I would have that playing non-stop.

We put on an awful horror movie called the Devil's Chair the other night because he makes an appearance in it, it's funny that he's on the Sarah Silverman program now too! That caught me by surprise.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Well, it was just the one ep on season 2, but it's totally worth it just to hear him say "Jesus wept!" and "Well isn't that miraculous?"

Hmmm, i was considering checking out The Devil's Chair for the same reason as you ola, but if it is as awful as you say, i think i'll stick to watching his comedy and listening to his albums for now!

Oh, one more thing: a longer version of the Snuff Box theme!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLKibXI3fXY"]YouTube- Snuff Box - Full Theme Song by Matt Berry[/ame]

One of the greatest themes ever! (Next to Doctor Who, of course!) Will they ever bring it back? I'd give anything to see Berry say "Fuck you!" one more time!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Aw man. I thought he might have been in another season or episode of SSP besides that one I saw, because he posted something on his Twitter. Oh well. :/

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Soooo, in the past I've downed the new Battlestar Galactica. Only because I was a die hard fan of the original. However, recently, I've got hooked on Caprica. Now I feel that I need to watch the new Battlestar and reevaluate my opinion on it.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I think that might be a good idea.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    Soooo, in the past I've downed the new Battlestar Galactica. Only because I was a die hard fan of the original. However, recently, I've got hooked on Caprica. Now I feel that I need to watch the new Battlestar and reevaluate my opinion on it.
    Gotta agree with Still Servant, it's worth checking out. I know it's considerably different from the original, but it's one of the few remakes that has done that and has actually worked. I've only seen the mini series and the first season, but it certainly impressed me. It's not exactly the light family entertainment that the original was, but it's certainly a great gritty scifi show.

However, I've just discovered a littl' known British gem that did a little bit of both back in the 70s. I bought the complete first series of Blake's 7 last week, a scifi show that was made with a really low budget (especially considering it was given the exact same budget as most other BBC shows at the time), and is, like a lot of 70s scifi at the time, a show about a bunch of characters fighting and running from an empire of evil.

It's also easily of the best shows I've ever seen.

I'm only halfway through the first series, but there's a lot of stuff that stick out, and I mean in a very, very good way. First, there's the Federation. It could've seemed like a ripoff of the Empire in Star Wars, but it's a lot subtler than that. The main character, Roj Blake, is perfectly happy with his life - until he finds out he used to be a resistance fighter who was captured, brainwashed, and was made to betray his friends before his memory was erased. It's clear that this fascist society is not afraid to use some seriously dirty tricks to keep its citizens in line, especially when they frame Blake for the worst possible charges. (And if you think you know what that is, it's actually much worse!)

Then you got the other "good guys", all of whom are criminals, most of which are only really sticking with Blake because he can keep them alive. Only Blake seems truly devoted to bringing the Federation down. And unlike Star Wars, the prospect of good triumphing over evil is made to be a lot bleaker and unlikely.

Even more surprising is that there's actual some serious development in the show, which judging by a lot of 70s shows I've seen, is something that's very ahead of its time. Not just storywise, either: Blake's development from naive civilian to total rebel is handled brilliantly. Although, as cool as Blake is, he's not the coolest character in the show. That would be Kerr Avon: a selfish, brilliant computer genius who barely cares for anyone but himself, and naturally gets some of the best lines.

I'll probably come back on here after I've finished watching the first series and write another mega long post, but I'll just say this: if you like truly great scifi, with classic characters and brilliant dialogue, like your scifi gritty, dark and miserable (and don't mind some really shit special effects, even by 70s standards), track down Blake's 7. It's totally worth it!

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

OK, just finished watching Series One of Blake's 7, and I have this to say:

If you're a fan of Firefly/Serenity and have yet to see Blake's 7, see it. I had heard that B7 might have had some influence on Firefly, but it was only when I saw the series 1 finale that I was certain that it must have been a huge influence:

Blake: Nice shot, Avon!
    Avon: I was aiming at his head.
    Anyone who's a Firefly fan will recognise that quote instantly. Shocks me that Blake's 7 has yet to be released on Region 1 dvd, though. Watching it, with a bunch of criminals in space running away from a fascist society, it's clear it's influenced many other scifi shows, with Farscape also immediately springing to mind.

Anyone in the UK or can get region 2 dvd: buy it, it's cheap enough. Anyone outside of Region 2: buy a multiregion dvd player, and buy some imports off ebay. Or watch it through other means that I simply cannot condone (but then if the bastards aren't even going to release it in Region 1, then that particular method might be the only way of watching it at all!), but see it! Tell your friends about it! Be like me and preach about it!

At the very least, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing about something cool that no one does. It's a petty reason to watch it, I know, but an immensely satisfying one!

- Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i used to love blake 7 - you know you're making me feel old doc
    Spoiler:

My Mood
    Yeehaw

My problem candy was that I was just born in the wrong decade: it's plain to see that the 70s was the best for tv classics! Doctor Who, at it's best in the middle of the decade with Tom Baker kicking arse in Hammer Horror ripoffs homages, John Thaw and Dennis Waterman kicking arse in the streets of London in the Sweeney, and Blake and Avon kicking arse across the whole of space itself! Yep, the 70s was clearly kickarse, my friend!

- Melike

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I'm on season 3 of Battlestar Galactica and I have to admit that I do like it.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone else hooked on "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" yet?

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Anyone else hooked on "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" yet?
    I want to, I'm waiting for it to get on my video on demand list so I can download it. That's the new series right? on discovery or something?

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes! New series on STARZ network/movie channel. Lots of breasts and penises (peni?)!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if that's the way tv guide would describe the series.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Savvy is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

My Mood
    Amused

LoL

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just watched the Being Human season two finale.

My God. Even better than the first series, and that's saying something.

Shit, the scyfy remake is gonna suck so hard. On its own, it might be good (but let's face it, that's not gonna happen!), but compared to the brilliant original, it's going to be total shit.

- Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice misterman is on a distinguished road misterman's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Stand on SyFy

Watching "The Stand" on the SyFy channel, I think I like it better, now that it has aged a bit. -Can't say I enjoy all the commercials!

I had forgotten how dark it was, Doh! facepalm.
    -Searching for the "Perfect Key Lime Pie."

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

I never understood what people have against that miniseries. For something that was run on network TV, and which was directed by Mick Garris, I thought they did a pretty good job.

To me, The Stand is still one of the best adaptations of Stephen King's work, alongside The Shining, 1408, Stand by Me, and Misery.

Gunslinger Apprentice Savvy is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Just watched the Being Human season two finale.

My God. Even better than the first series, and that's saying something.

Shit, the scyfy remake is gonna suck so hard. On its own, it might be good (but let's face it, that's not gonna happen!), but compared to the brilliant original, it's going to be total shit.
    It was brill wasn't it hehe , I loved georges face as he was looking at the tv

My Mood
    Amused

awww...Pam and Jim are having a
    Spoiler:
    girl
    !

My Mood
    Yeehaw

One question. I like to think that I have good taste in comedy. My favourite comedy shows are Red Dwarf, Spaced, Snuff Box, The Office (UK), and South Park.

So, i've gotta ask: is it wrong of me to think that 30 Rock is easily one of the funniest shows right now? It's silly, it's stupid, but my god, is it brilliant! Only just caught a few season 3 eps recently, and if they're all this random, then this is the most truly random show I've watched since Spaced, and that's saying something! Not like Family Guy random, where it's so formulaic you ALWAYS see the random pop culture joke coming, but genuinely out-of-the-blue random. I think the quote "I should warn you, I'm allergic to horses!" sums it up. I need to find a cheap box set of this right now!

- Melike

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post

So, i've gotta ask: is it wrong of me to think that 30 Rock is easily one of the funniest shows right now? It's silly, it's stupid, but my god, is it brilliant! Only just caught a few season 3 eps recently, and if they're all this random, then this is the most truly random show I've watched since Spaced, and that's saying something! Not like Family Guy random, where it's so formulaic you ALWAYS see the random pop culture joke coming, but genuinely out-of-the-blue random. I think the quote "I should warn you, I'm allergic to horses!" sums it up. I need to find a cheap box set of this right now!
    I love 30 Rock. I'm watching it right now. Tracey Morgan is hilarious. "I need to get me an EGOT. an Emmy a Grammy a Oscar and a Tony."

My Mood
    Yeehaw

A discussion on another board has got me thinking that once again I'm needed to remind everyone on this board of another British classic to check out. If you like the following:
    • Shaun of the Dead
    • Hot Fuzz
    • Randomness
    • Laughing so hard until you pee

Track down Spaced. It is, quite frankly, one of the greatest sitcoms ever. And I mean ever. Here's one small, tiny reason why:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sqSQ5Vu8vM"]YouTube- Spaced | Unspoken Telepathy | Channel 4[/ame]

This is why I'm so looking forward to Scott Pilgrim Vs the World, which Edgar Wright has directed. If he can make movie fights look as good as the above fight, it's bound to be one of the best films of the year!

- Melike

Kvothe The Bloodless SigTauGimp is on a distinguished road SigTauGimp's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm a big Spaced fan too, DD.

Has anyone caught "Justified" on the FX network? For some reason, this show has pulled me in...only aired three episodes so far. I have no idea why I like it, everything is nonspecific, but like it, I do.

Elodin: "Tombs is for feckless twits who can't chew their own food. My boy's a Re'lar! He has the feck of twenty men!"

Kvothe: “Books are a poor substitute for female companionship, but they are easier to find.”

Simmon: ”It’s just ointment in case you get burned...but if you mix it with piss, it turns into candy.” Sim’s expression was deadpan. “Delicious candy.”

Were you there to see the Bear?
    YouTube

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 188 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21 22 23 31 71 121 ... LastLast