Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 188 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 120 ... LastLast

Thread: General Television Discussion

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Well, at least Doctor Who has managed to stay around a little while.
    So true! I'm even okay that they keep changing him because that's just the way it's always been done. I love Doctor Who now but I couldn't stand the old ones. OMG talking trash cans! RUN!!!
    My friend, you need to watch the early Baker episodes. Almost anything from his first 3 years kicks arse, with the Talons of Weng Chiang being fucking perfect. Mostly, they just stole a lot of truly classic gothic horror stories for the plot, but they did it so well that it hardly mattered.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of old who does pale in comparison to the old series - mostly the stuff from the 80s, imo - but the first 3 years of tom baker are still the best seasons of Doctor Who ever. No ifs, no buts, no exceptions!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If it were on Fox they'd have cancelled it as soon as they realized someone (anyone) liked the show.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

One more thing:

[quote=ICry4Oy;470613]
    Quote Originally Posted by <ô> bango skank <ô> View Post
    I know Uk shows are not prooving too popular but... quote]

I love BBC shows but get pissed when they go away after only 2 or 3 seasons. Robin Hood is one but they screwed up by killing Marian and made me ill by making Kate part of the gang. Torchwood and Primeval both "seem" to be gone. Even if they're not gone they piss me off killing all the people I liked. There were some others but I can't remember them right now.
    Can't think of a single horror writer who does that...

- Melike

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

I love BBC shows but get pissed when they go away after only 2 or 3 seasons.
    Not to mention really short seasons! Boo to that. Of course, it might help the overall quality of the show when you're making 18 instead of 180 episodes. Theoretically, less writing filler.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

If it were on Fox they'd have cancelled it as soon as they realized someone (anyone) liked the show.
    Send all your truly great cancelled shows to us! Better yet, send it to channel 4: that channel loves making truly great shows that absolutely no one watches! I'm not joking: they've made 6 series of Peep Show - one of the greatest comedy shows ever, i must add - even though no one watches it when it's actually on telly, but it sells incredibly well on dvd (strange, i know).

Ok, considering the "6 episodes per series" rule we have in the UK, especially with comedy shows, that means that there's only a grand total of 36 eps, but don't knock it! Quick dvd = quick sales = quick new series. Shame Fox hasn't discovered this, yet!

- Melike

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Well, at least Doctor Who has managed to stay around a little while.
    So true! I'm even okay that they keep changing him because that's just the way it's always been done. I love Doctor Who now but I couldn't stand the old ones. OMG talking trash cans! RUN!!!
    My friend, you need to watch the early Baker episodes. Almost anything from his first 3 years kicks arse, with the Talons of Weng Chiang being fucking perfect. Mostly, they just stole a lot of truly classic gothic horror stories for the plot, but they did it so well that it hardly mattered.

Don't get me wrong, a lot of old who does pale in comparison to the old series - mostly the stuff from the 80s, imo - but the first 3 years of tom baker are still the best seasons of Doctor Who ever. No ifs, no buts, no exceptions!
    I'd be willing to give the old Baker episodes another look but, and you're gonna hate me for this, I absolutely hated them and him when I tried to watch previously.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Send all your truly great cancelled shows to us! Better yet, send it to channel 4: that channel loves making truly great shows that absolutely no one watches! I'm not joking: they've made 6 series of Peep Show - one of the greatest comedy shows ever, i must add - even though no one watches it when it's actually on telly, but it sells incredibly well on dvd (strange, i know).

Ok, considering the "6 episodes per series" rule we have in the UK, especially with comedy shows, that means that there's only a grand total of 36 eps, but don't knock it! Quick dvd = quick sales = quick new series. Shame Fox hasn't discovered this, yet!
    Actually the one thing I dislike about your tv seasons/series is how short they are. Well, that and the weirdness of your insisting on calling seasons series.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Actually the one thing I dislike about your tv seasons/series is how short they are. Well, that and the weirdness of your insisting on calling seasons series.
    You think that's weird? Why do you call your shows that last for 6 months seasons?

- Melike

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Send all your truly great cancelled shows to us!
    I'm not sure that we have that many .... I mean, I'm still upset about 240-Robert being cancelled, but I'm fairly odd.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

You think that's weird? Why do you call your shows that last for 6 months seasons?

To confuse y'all, of course.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Yeehaw

But, to answer the question: Why are UK series so short? Well, whole bunch of reasons:
    1. If it's 6 episodes only, it's usually because it's written by one or two writers, no more. So writing 6 brilliant episodes rather than 20 can prove to be a bit less of a strain!
    2. How it's filmed: peep show is filmed using only one camera. Sounds simple enough, but it's meant to be from the point of view of every character. Literally, the pov. So that can take a fucking long time to do!
    3. It's short because the writers planned it that way. Look at the different versions of the Office, for example: original had a beginning, a middle, and an end. So did the remake...until it continued with season 4!
    4. Because we're cooler than you!

Although HBO does have some of the most awesome shows ever, but one question: why are all those shows so short?

- Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

[*]Because we're cooler than you! [/LIST]
    hell yeah!

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

HOLYSHITIDIDN'TKNOWSTEPHENKINGWASONTHECOLBERTREPOR TLASTNIGHTWHOA!

/dies

My two favorite Stephens.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just watched the series 1 finale of Misfits. I hope they do another series. And I mean, I really fucking hope they do another series, cause that ending was just the most horrible, horrible cliffhanger, ever. Funny, in a dark way, but also fucking harsh.

To those of you in the US who have BBC America, if you ever see that it's on, watch it. It may be easy to overlook as just another show about a bunch of total shits, but trust me, it's brill. Hilarious, weird, and just all round brilliant, like Life on Mars, Doctor Who and The Office, it goes on the list of, "Programmes that make me fucking proud to be British!"

- Melike

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    [*]Because we're cooler than you! [/LIST]
    hell yeah!

Clearly you haven't met ME.

*goes off to try to find what Paula speaks of*

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Right then, seeing as it's CHRRRRIIIIIIIIISSSSSMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSS SS!, to quote Slade, and is, as always, a time for celebration, for families to come together, and also of course, for spending hours and hours in front of the tv, i thought i'd do a little post here of what was on in the UK today.

First of:
    Sarah Jane Adventures - just a repeat of the Doctor Who crossover last month, but still, great to catch that in the morning!

Doctor Who
    Brand new ep, but i'm not saying a word until you folks in the US have a chance to see it! (Seeing as it's only a one day gap, i thought i'd be fair!)

Eastenders
    For those of you who don't know, Eastenders is a British soap that's filled with stupid plotlines, stupider characters, and cockneys. Thought i'd watch it though: tonight the local villain was murdered. Gasp! Shock! Horror! Who did it? The daughter? The wife? The mistress? The ex? The weasel? The baby? Although, from what i saw, it appeared to be a statue. He really shouldn't have turned his back on that!

The Royle Family Xmas Special
    Ah, now that's more like it! And before any of you in the US ask, no, this wasn't the queen's speech, but a brilliant, brilliant, brilliant comedy about a northern english family who spend most of the time in front of the tv. Actually, that's no exagerration: most of the entire series is the family in front of the telly! Not only that, but the laughs don't come from the family being dysfunctional as a ton of other sitcoms try to do so much as the family being so close because of the telly! The best example was the family constantly singing the tune of a BBC news programme called "The One Show"! That really did get my entire family howling with laughter, that did! (Can you spot the irony, folks?) Oh, i can't praise this programme enough, unless you haven't seen it, in which case i'll shut up now!

Gavin and Stacey
    Oddly enough, this wasn't a xmas special, as it was clearly set in summer. Still, another great comedy, although admittedly one i don't watch often enough. Completely worth it for an old lady singing The Smiths, though!

Well, that's about all i've watched today. Americans, Canadians, everybody on this board: any notable xmas specials that were shown today?

- Melike

My Mood
    Gay

Actually, I spent just over two hours watching that heart-warming holiday extravaganza ... Jurassic Park. Ah. Good times.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Sounds like very good times, pam.

Actually, pam, one question: in america, do you have any special episodes of tv shows on xmas day? I mean, i know you've got plenty of xmas themed episodes as part of a regular season, but do you have any xmas one offs, or double lengthed episodes, or extra miserable soaps, JUST for xmas day?

Or it is that just an eccentric british thing?

- Melike

My Mood
    Gay

Some US shows do a Christmas themed episode, yes, but not a lot of them. I guess that cuts into the reruns or re-playability, or something. I don't know the reason.

Oh, and they'd NEVER be shown on Christmas Day. They'd be probably the week or two before Christmas, in the shows normal time slot.

Actually, probably one of the more rememberable programs, at least that come to mind for me, are the many different Thanksgiving Themed episodes that Friends did each year.

And... Friends did a very funny Christmas/Hanukkah featuring the "holiday armadillo".

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEAVDID6HwU]The Holiday Armadillo[/ame]

Mostly, I think, in the US - we're big on running specific movies on television at Christmas. Every year - 24 straight hours of A Christmas Story is on. It's A Wonderful Life, and Miracle On 34th Street are constants. I just finished watching Little Woman, which is on every Christmas. Oh, and even National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Eastenders
    For those of you who don't know, Eastenders is a British soap that's filled with stupid plotlines, stupider characters, and cockneys. Thought i'd watch it though: tonight the local villain was murdered. Gasp! Shock! Horror! Who did it? The daughter? The wife? The mistress? The ex? The weasel? The baby? Although, from what i saw, it appeared to be a statue. He really shouldn't have turned his back on that!

?
    i don't watch the soaps anymore (hav'nt done for around 5 years - long story) but that just summed up every Xmas episode of ANY soap.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Right, for some clarification on why my sig is currently one of the most awesome on this board (not THE most, but pretty close), and why you should bow down before the greatness of Matt Berry:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdWI5OksQNI"]YouTube- Snuff Box- Quest for the Silver Cowboy Boots[/ame]

Snuff Box: whether you're British, American, or from the constellation of Betelgeuse, you need to see this show!

- Melike

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Gay

Okay, finally caught The IT Crowd on IFC and laughed my ass off. It's a UK import ( of course! ) and it's priceless, especially if you have any kind of IT background.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

And to prove my point about Berry further: he's in The IT Crowd, too! Well, from Series 2 onwards at least. He really does have the most amazing voice in that show!

Actually, he really does have the most amazing voice in any show!

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 188 FirstFirst ... 10 18 19 20 21 22 30 70 120 ... LastLast