Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 188 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread: General Television Discussion

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

It's a scifi show about a group of astronauts on a mission throughout the solar system. It takes place in their present time aboard the spacecraft, and is also told in flashbacks which detail their training period and selection process for the mission.
    Once in space the crew begins to experience strange things, and they begin to realize that their mission may not actually be what they were told.

I highly recommend checking it out.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Well, True Blood has really only had two short seasons, so can you really call it the best of the decade with so few episodes? Same goes for Modern Family.
    That was kind of my point, if Modern Family can be on there, why not True Blood?

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

My negative reaction was mainly toward Modern Family and 24 being on there, I haven't seen some of the other shows but MF is bs and I could only get into 24 for maybe two seasons before losing interest. It wore out its premise and characters pretty quick.

I obviously agree with Lost (duh) and CYE (double duh), I'm surprised that the Wire or Battlestar Galactica (or the Office!) weren't on the list over some of the others. They wouldn't be on top of my personal love list, but they are definitely some of the best popular shows of the 2000s.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    i am curious as to what defying gravity is about. never heard of it. can i get the cliff notes version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    It's a scifi show about a group of astronauts on a mission throughout the solar system. It takes place in their present time aboard the spacecraft, and is also told in flashbacks which detail their training period and selection process for the mission.
    Once in space the crew begins to experience strange things, and they begin to realize that their mission may not actually be what they were told.

good synopsis

whats this about missing episodes?

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Oh, and I think Doctor Who isn't there because it's a UK program. Those seem pretty exclusively US shows.
    Haha, yeah i got that pam, just couldn't resist playing the role of "pissed off uberfan who disputes EVERYTHING". And to be honest, I wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't turn up on a list of Top Ten TV Shows of the Decade even if it was just UK shows. I'm a fan of Dr Who purely because it's great entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.

Now, if it had included UK shows, and neglected to add the original version of the Office...well, then I would've been genuinely pissed off! I mean, the US one was pretty good in it's first 3 seasons, but the original office was groundbreaking. No exaggeration - it was so realistic that at the time it was first shown, it hardly got any notice because people thought it was a real show. That would definitely rank high on my list of top ten shows of the past decade, and most likely of my top ten greatest shows ever.

Same goes for Life on Mars. Still, at least the remake didn't make it on the list! I'm still pissed off at that botched ending.

Spoiler:
    Major Tom...wtf were they thinking?!?

Actually, what are people's top ten shows? Separate thread, or just post the list in here?
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

just had a quick check through fedic station and cant see another thread for the top ten tv progs. i'll start a thread as i think it will start some major discussions.

i am thinking of starting a vote off for the best tv prog of all time as discussed previously, just wanting to make sure no one else is thinkig of doing it? dont want to stand on toes

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just run it by Feev. I'm not sure what he has planned in the immediate future and I think he prefers to have only one of best of all time things running at a time.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

cool, will leave it for now and speak with him later

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Right on! I do like the idea though.

I already have a list to nominate.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by candy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    i am curious as to what defying gravity is about. never heard of it. can i get the cliff notes version.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post

good synopsis

whats this about missing episodes?
    Well being in the US, and having it air on ABC they decided to cancel it on us and only showed up till episode 8, leaving behind the remaining 5 episodes. They said that they'd bring them back and air the remaining ones in the near future but of course they didn't.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by ola View Post
    My negative reaction was mainly toward Modern Family and 24 being on there, I haven't seen some of the other shows but MF is bs and I could only get into 24 for maybe two seasons before losing interest. It wore out its premise and characters pretty quick.

I obviously agree with Lost (duh) and CYE (double duh), I'm surprised that the Wire or Battlestar Galactica (or the Office!) weren't on the list over some of the others. They wouldn't be on top of my personal love list, but they are definitely some of the best popular shows of the 2000s.
    I mean don't get me wrong either, I think Modern Family is humerus, just not grade A material. But ya, why not the Office? the Office keeps winning awards does in not? I have no idea what the Wire is, and I really can't say ye or ney to Battlestar, since I'm an old school Battlestar fan and hate it when they bastardize stuff, like the new V series on TV.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Oh, and I think Doctor Who isn't there because it's a UK program. Those seem pretty exclusively US shows.
    Haha, yeah i got that pam, just couldn't resist playing the role of "pissed off uberfan who disputes EVERYTHING". And to be honest, I wouldn't be too surprised if it didn't turn up on a list of Top Ten TV Shows of the Decade even if it was just UK shows. I'm a fan of Dr Who purely because it's great entertainment, nothing more, nothing less.

Now, if it had included UK shows, and neglected to add the original version of the Office...well, then I would've been genuinely pissed off! I mean, the US one was pretty good in it's first 3 seasons, but the original office was groundbreaking. No exaggeration - it was so realistic that at the time it was first shown, it hardly got any notice because people thought it was a real show. That would definitely rank high on my list of top ten shows of the past decade, and most likely of my top ten greatest shows ever.

Same goes for Life on Mars. Still, at least the remake didn't make it on the list! I'm still pissed off at that botched ending.

Spoiler:
    Major Tom...wtf were they thinking?!?

Actually, what are people's top ten shows? Separate thread, or just post the list in here?

DD - You have my undying respect... The Office ( UK ) is about the funniest show I've ever seen. I love it.

Um, and what about Buffy ?!? And, honestly, ER had some really good seasons in 2000s.

Like I said, it's not my list - but I found it interesting.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Gay

Yet another list :

Mostly excellent, all of them memorable, here are the decade's Top 10 television achievements as tapped by the TV writers of The Associated Press.

In no particular order, they are:

• "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation" (premiered October 2000) and the franchise it inspired. This drama was already a surprise hit when, with season two, it emerged as a reassuring response to the sorrows and anxieties of 9/11. The Las Vegas-based investigators functioned with a clinical detachment from evil and evildoers, while insisting that truth and justice await those who pursue it with keen-eyed devotion. That was just the sort of reminder viewers needed. And apparently still do, with "CSI" remaining a powerhouse, along with its spinoffs, "CSI: Miami" (premiered September 2002) and "CSI: NY" (September 2004), where science, reason (plus blood-and-guts) prevail.

• "The Daily Show With Jon Stewart" (yes, we know he came aboard in 1999) and "The Colbert Report" (premiered October 2005). Weeknights on Comedy Central, this one-two satirical punch helps keep viewers abreast of all the foolishness they suffer at the hands of the media — and at the hands of newsmakers the media cover.

• "Survivor" (premiered May 2000). It began with personalities such as Rudy, Richard Susan and, of course, host Jeff Probst, on an island near Borneo. Now, 18-and-counting editions later, CBS' "Survivor" doesn't just endure as the pioneer of TV reality-competition, it prevails as the gold standard.

• "American Idol" (premiered June 2002). It's bigger than Simon Cowell's proudly brandished biceps. It's bigger than the audience's sigh of relief when Paula Abdul finally severed her ties. It's maybe not quite as big as it once was, but after eight editions, Fox's "American Idol" is bigger than almost anything else on TV, while continuing to transform pop culture in a big way.

• "High School Musical" (January 2006). If "American Idol" didn't get the nation singing, this shockingly popular Disney Channel film did — that is, the nation's teens and tweens, who, along with gorging on the original film and its sequels (with a fourth installment due next year), have put on a high school musical themselves in seemingly every auditorium in the land.

• "The Osbournes" (2002-05). Poor addled Ozzy couldn't even handle his TV remote. But viewers were able to operate theirs, and, switching to MTV in droves, they made a huge hit out of this rock star's kookie family life. Meanwhile, its wild success crystallized a new sub-genre of reality TV, populated by the likes of Tommy Lee, Victoria Gotti, Danny Bonaduce, Hulk Hogan, Whitney Houston and so many more: Celebrities masquerading as themselves while they pretend their act isn't just another slice of show biz.

• "The Sopranos" (1999-2007). Yes, it started before the millennium, but genius doesn't always arrive at a turning point, but, instead, is one. Anyway, most of "The Sopranos" aired in 2000 and beyond — including the infamous, maddening blackout finale, which, all by itself, guaranteed this HBO mob drama a place in pop-culture perpetuity.

• "The Shield" (2002-2008). No drama series reached further with a surer hand, week after week. Consistently absorbing, exciting and disturbing, this LA-based cop show remade the image of its network, FX, kick-started the career of its star, Michael Chiklis, and proved that basic cable could compete not only with the premium channels, but also with the best of cinema. Thanks to "The Shield," viewers were given notice not to accept anything less.

• "Arrested Development" (2003-06). A send-up of human vanities, greed and corruption, this Fox comedy about the unlikely Bluth clan stayed amusingly askew, pokerfaced and absurd. It could claim neither long-term nor widespread success, but there was something groundbreakingly demented about it. Charting new ground, it prepared the way for oddball comedies to come, such as "The Office" and "30 Rock." The Bluths were comedically bent trailblazers.

• "Lost" (premiered September 2004). From its first episode (the dreadful plane crash on the island), this ABC drama demonstrated an epic, mind-bending sweep through time and space, with a vast array of characters. It doesn't always make sense (though maybe it will, with the series finale next year), but "Lost" has made one thing clear: With serialized TV, nothing is too way out or ambitious.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I like only two of those...Stewart and Ozzy.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Along the Path of the Beam mdarkpoet is on a distinguished road mdarkpoet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A show I feel I should mention is Metalocalypse, a constant laugh for lovers of metal and even those who don't love metal. It's just a constant lol session for me I recommend checking it out.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

me and my hubby watch Metalocalypse every now and then. it is funny to a point that we have to contain ourselves not to wake the kids up.

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Found this pretty interesting list ... the TOP 10 TV SERIES OF THE DECADE :

Top 10 TV series of the decade
    By Barry Garron

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – Every decade has its landmark TV shows, and there will or should never be complete agreement on which 10 series belong at the top of the list.

For purposes of this list, a TV show is eligible only if it premiered in or after 1999. In addition, TV shows were judged on their artistic merit and overall contribution to the medium, not on their ratings or profit margins.

10. MODERN FAMILY

* ABC, 2009-present

It's a little risky to pick a new show as one of the best of the decade, even after seeing about a dozen episodes. In the case of "Modern Family," the risk is minimized by the track record of its creators, Steven Levitan and Christopher Lloyd. At a time when most new shows are just finding themselves, this one has been so consistently funny, smartly produced and crisply written that it has all the earmarks of a classic in the making.

9. LOST

* ABC, 2004-present

Part adventure, part mystery and part sci-fi, "Lost" defies convenient characterization. Supposedly conceived as a blend of "Lord of the Flies," "Survivor," "Gilligan's Island" and "Cast Away," the series developed a unique mythology and an unconventional rhythm that mixed stories of the present with those from the past and future. Creators Jeffrey Lieber, J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof created one of TV's biggest casts, then made each character utterly fascinating.

8. 24

* Fox, 2001-present

Robert Cochran and Joel Surnow conceived this series when the idea of a terrorist attack that would bring down the World Trade Center towers seemed inconceivable. But when the unthinkable happened, America rallied around indefatigable agent Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) and some super-suspenseful, action-packed, provocative stories. Even the real CIA took notes. With an uncanny knack for selecting guest stars and a real-time format, "24" injected shots of excitement to the small screen.

7. 30 ROCK

* NBC, 2006-present

Maybe it's because Tina Fey and Lorne Michaels know TV from both sides of the camera. More than that, they understand the nutty things that happen when the surf of corporate culture pounds the shore of creative anarchy. "30 Rock," a TV show within a TV show, is occasionally guilty of biting the hand that schedules it, but never runs out of business and showbiz targets ripe for being lampooned.

6. MAD MEN

* AMC, 2007-present

Matthew Weiner rewound the clock nearly a half-century to create a drama that provides a fresh look at relationships and business and gender through vintage glasses. Set in the early 1960s in a prominent ad firm, "Mad Men" is beautifully written and blessed with a strong cast, starting with Jon Hamm as flawed executive Don Draper. You've come a long way, baby, but it sure is fun to look back.

5. DAMAGES

* FX, 2007-present

Few if any creators have ever spun more intricate and surprising yarns than Glenn Kessler, Todd A. Kessler and Daniel Zelman in "Damages," a high-stakes legal drama in which almost nothing is exactly as it seems. A superb cast, starting with Glenn Close, brings to life some of the most ambitious plots ever conceived for TV. This may be as intriguing and addictive as TV gets.

4. THE SHIELD

* FX, 2002-08

Just as David Chase found a new and powerful direction for crime drama, Shawn Ryan shattered the mold for police drama. "The Shield" was everything no police series had ever been, starting with antihero Vic Mackey (Michael Chiklis), a sympathetic but impossibly corrupt Los Angeles cop who made up his own rules of law enforcement as he went along. Moral ambiguity provided a gateway to stories that were stark, real and absolutely incredible.

3. CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM

* HBO, 2000-present

From his earnings as creator of "Seinfeld," Larry David could have bought one of the Virgin Islands and retired to a life of leisure and luxury. Instead, he trumped himself with a comedy series that poked fun at political correctness and poked even more fun at a curmudgeonly version of himself. Plotted but not scripted, "Curb Your Enthusiasm" raised mortification and tactlessness to art forms.

2. THE WEST WING

* NBC, 1999-2006

Creator Aaron Sorkin swore this show wasn't his way of making civics palatable to a mass audience, but it did just that. Neo-cons ran the real White House during most of the show's run. On TV, though, a team of highly principled progressives operated the levers of TV government. Quite possibly, this unfailingly witty and intelligent series, packed with powerful performances, whetted the country's appetite for change it can believe in.

1. THE SOPRANOS

* HBO, 1999-2007

From its opening musings about ducks in Tony Soprano's swimming pool to its ambiguous and much-discussed ending, "The Sopranos" pioneered a new form of drama. Creator David Chase brilliantly melded the dark, violent world of organized crime boss Soprano (James Gandolfini) with the conventions of middle-class suburbia. It dominated water cooler conversation even though, as an HBO program, it was available in only a small fraction of the nation's households.
    I love Modern Family and I think that it's one of the better sitcoms of the decade, but I wouldn't put it in my top 10. I think it's too soon. Also, I would put shows like Arrested Development and The Office on there.

I knew 30 Rock would be on there, but I think it's an overrated show. I think they rely too much on guest stars for their laughs. I also don't think Tracy Morgan is funny. He's basically playing himself.

I would also like to see Breaking Bad on the list. I know Mad Men is the AMC show that gets all the attention, but Breaking Bad is just as good.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post

Also, I would put shows like Arrested Development and The Office on there.

Yes, thank you. I totally forgot that one, and it deserves a spot wayy more than most of those.

Gunslinger Apprentice <ô> bango skank <ô> is on a distinguished road <ô> bango skank <ô>'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know Uk shows are not prooving too popular but... Spooks! Propper class. has went a bit down hill but first few seasons were mint. And Planet Earth, yeah its a wild life doc but its one of the best things ive seen on tv ever. As is the BBCs current nature doc Life.
    "God pisses down your neck everyday, but only drowns you once.*

"When the shooting starts, we kill what moves. " - Roland Deschain

My Mood
    Gay

I love BBC. BBC America is one of my "always check" cable channels. I even love the bad BBC shows like Mistresses and Bad Girls. And, frankly, I love Top Gear !!!

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Just wondering pam, did you watch the original Life on Mars at all? Because out of all my favourite shows (most of which are admittedly british, except for ones on HBO or created by Joss Whedon, of course), Life on Mars definitely ranks up incredibly high. In the top 3, at least. No, make that top 2. Mainly because of Gene Hunt and his never ending supply of fantastic quotes:

Sam: If this were related to football, he would've had serious injuries!
    Gene: He's dead! That's quite serious!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Gay

DD - Unfortuntely, I only caught a couple of episodes, but I did enjoy them... I was sort of hoping for one of those marathon deals, where I could catch the whole series in a day.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[quote=<ô> bango skank <ô>;470147]I know Uk shows are not prooving too popular but... quote]

I love BBC shows but get pissed when they go away after only 2 or 3 seasons. Robin Hood is one but they screwed up by killing Marian and made me ill by making Kate part of the gang. Torchwood and Primeval both "seem" to be gone. Even if they're not gone they piss me off killing all the people I liked. There were some others but I can't remember them right now.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, at least Doctor Who has managed to stay around a little while.

If you rescue me

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Well, at least Doctor Who has managed to stay around a little while.
    So true! I'm even okay that they keep changing him because that's just the way it's always been done. I love Doctor Who now but I couldn't stand the old ones. OMG talking trash cans! RUN!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 188 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 69 119 ... LastLast