Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 188 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread: General Television Discussion

POW!-lah idk, my bff jill? is on a distinguished road

I live in a very small island in the Caribbean.
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    has anyone noticed the influx of paranormal shows lately. there are Ghost hunters, paranormal state, Ghost lab, and a new one i saw a preview for but couldn't remember the name for. just an observation i noticed.
    And don't forget Ghost Adventures, Extreme Paranormal, Ghost Stories, Celebrity Ghost Stories, Psychic Kids. And the list goes on

Honestly I don't mind so much, because I love anything to do with the paranormal. Some of the shows are pretty good, but some I will admit are just ridiculous. Has anyone been watching Extreme Paranormal? That one is just crazy!
    [rant]
    I was watching Ghost Adventures with a friend of mine last night, and holy fucking shit. I've never laughed so hard in my life!
    (Okay, I might be exaggerating.)
    Even though I was high off my ass, which probably accounts for the excessive laughter, I could see how absolutely ridiculous the show was.
    Did anyone see the I See Dead Celebrities South Park episode a few weeks ago?
    Ghost Adventures is EXACTLY like that. I think they were making fun of Ghost Hunters in South Park rather than Ghost Adventures, but still.
    The main guy or makeshift "investigator" or whatever kept trying to show off his pecks and biceps the entire time he was on screen. What are all those muscles going to help him with anyway? Kicking some ghost's ass? Everyone knows you can't fight a ghost.
    Another thing was that he and the crew kept freaking out about, well, nothing! One little speck of dust moved in a corner, and all hell broke loose.
    Even the way they talk is so melodramatic. The host's voice sometimes became so low he almost sounded a bit like Batman.
    My friend and I felt like what little remained of our intelligence was being insulted, so we arrived at the conclusion that Ghost Adventures HAS to be a parody ghost show.
    It just has to be.
    There is no way in hell this show can take itself seriously, let alone have someone else take it seriously.
    [/rant]

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Yeah that one is a bit ridiculous. I love how they'll play back a recording, or show a video of a so called orb and be like this was the voice or spirit of so and so. They just sound so sure of themselves. Like there's no possible way it could be a million other things.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

that is just wrong on so many levels....and funny...lol

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Why did the Defying Gravity thread get sent to the clearing?

Generally after a long time of no posting (interest?) threads get sent to the clearing. If you want it could be brought back from the dead (no thread or post is ever really gone here), though if it doesn't hold interest for long periods of time it could likely end up there again. I'd be happy to resurrect it though.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by idk, my bff jill? View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    has anyone noticed the influx of paranormal shows lately. there are Ghost hunters, paranormal state, Ghost lab, and a new one i saw a preview for but couldn't remember the name for. just an observation i noticed.
    And don't forget Ghost Adventures, Extreme Paranormal, Ghost Stories, Celebrity Ghost Stories, Psychic Kids. And the list goes on

Honestly I don't mind so much, because I love anything to do with the paranormal. Some of the shows are pretty good, but some I will admit are just ridiculous. Has anyone been watching Extreme Paranormal? That one is just crazy!
    [rant]
    I was watching Ghost Adventures with a friend of mine last night, and holy fucking shit. I've never laughed so hard in my life!
    (Okay, I might be exaggerating.)
    Even though I was high off my ass, which probably accounts for the excessive laughter, I could see how absolutely ridiculous the show was.
    Did anyone see the I See Dead Celebrities South Park episode a few weeks ago?
    Ghost Adventures is EXACTLY like that. I think they were making fun of Ghost Hunters in South Park rather than Ghost Adventures, but still.
    The main guy or makeshift "investigator" or whatever kept trying to show off his pecks and biceps the entire time he was on screen. What are all those muscles going to help him with anyway? Kicking some ghost's ass? Everyone knows you can't fight a ghost.
    Another thing was that he and the crew kept freaking out about, well, nothing! One little speck of dust moved in a corner, and all hell broke loose.
    Even the way they talk is so melodramatic. The host's voice sometimes became so low he almost sounded a bit like Batman.
    My friend and I felt like what little remained of our intelligence was being insulted, so we arrived at the conclusion that Ghost Adventures HAS to be a parody ghost show.
    It just has to be.
    There is no way in hell this show can take itself seriously, let alone have someone else take it seriously.
    [/rant]

Joe: Ahhhrg! Did you feel that???

Bill: Yes. it brushed against me. It was hairy and cold.

Joe: We have discovered Bigfoot's ghost!!!
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Nice one, Ruthful!

That about sums up my attitude toward paranormal shows.

So does [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo4tzrxyXsA"]this[/ame]

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

Generally after a long time of no posting (interest?) threads get sent to the clearing. If you want it could be brought back from the dead (no thread or post is ever really gone here), though if it doesn't hold interest for long periods of time it could likely end up there again. I'd be happy to resurrect it though.
    i'm part way through this series, (we have only just got it here,) i must say i am really enjoying it. soo soo much better than SG universe which is pants

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

No need, we can just use this thread

Candy what part are you up to?

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Candy what part are you up to?

7/13. Apparantley according to my recording the next episode is halloween on the ship

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

speaking of paranormal shows i found this and thought it was funny.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcXiUSZPuWA"]YouTube- Muppet Labs Experiment 5T832: Ghost Hunt [HD][/ame]

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Found this pretty interesting list ... the TOP 10 TV SERIES OF THE DECADE :

Top 10 TV series of the decade
    By Barry Garron

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – Every decade has its landmark TV shows, and there will or should never be complete agreement on which 10 series belong at the top of the list.

For purposes of this list, a TV show is eligible only if it premiered in or after 1999. In addition, TV shows were judged on their artistic merit and overall contribution to the medium, not on their ratings or profit margins.

10. MODERN FAMILY

* ABC, 2009-present

It's a little risky to pick a new show as one of the best of the decade, even after seeing about a dozen episodes. In the case of "Modern Family," the risk is minimized by the track record of its creators, Steven Levitan and Christopher Lloyd. At a time when most new shows are just finding themselves, this one has been so consistently funny, smartly produced and crisply written that it has all the earmarks of a classic in the making.

9. LOST

* ABC, 2004-present

Part adventure, part mystery and part sci-fi, "Lost" defies convenient characterization. Supposedly conceived as a blend of "Lord of the Flies," "Survivor," "Gilligan's Island" and "Cast Away," the series developed a unique mythology and an unconventional rhythm that mixed stories of the present with those from the past and future. Creators Jeffrey Lieber, J.J. Abrams and Damon Lindelof created one of TV's biggest casts, then made each character utterly fascinating.

8. 24

* Fox, 2001-present

Robert Cochran and Joel Surnow conceived this series when the idea of a terrorist attack that would bring down the World Trade Center towers seemed inconceivable. But when the unthinkable happened, America rallied around indefatigable agent Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) and some super-suspenseful, action-packed, provocative stories. Even the real CIA took notes. With an uncanny knack for selecting guest stars and a real-time format, "24" injected shots of excitement to the small screen.

7. 30 ROCK

* NBC, 2006-present

Maybe it's because Tina Fey and Lorne Michaels know TV from both sides of the camera. More than that, they understand the nutty things that happen when the surf of corporate culture pounds the shore of creative anarchy. "30 Rock," a TV show within a TV show, is occasionally guilty of biting the hand that schedules it, but never runs out of business and showbiz targets ripe for being lampooned.

6. MAD MEN

* AMC, 2007-present

Matthew Weiner rewound the clock nearly a half-century to create a drama that provides a fresh look at relationships and business and gender through vintage glasses. Set in the early 1960s in a prominent ad firm, "Mad Men" is beautifully written and blessed with a strong cast, starting with Jon Hamm as flawed executive Don Draper. You've come a long way, baby, but it sure is fun to look back.

5. DAMAGES

* FX, 2007-present

Few if any creators have ever spun more intricate and surprising yarns than Glenn Kessler, Todd A. Kessler and Daniel Zelman in "Damages," a high-stakes legal drama in which almost nothing is exactly as it seems. A superb cast, starting with Glenn Close, brings to life some of the most ambitious plots ever conceived for TV. This may be as intriguing and addictive as TV gets.

4. THE SHIELD

* FX, 2002-08

Just as David Chase found a new and powerful direction for crime drama, Shawn Ryan shattered the mold for police drama. "The Shield" was everything no police series had ever been, starting with antihero Vic Mackey (Michael Chiklis), a sympathetic but impossibly corrupt Los Angeles cop who made up his own rules of law enforcement as he went along. Moral ambiguity provided a gateway to stories that were stark, real and absolutely incredible.

3. CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM

* HBO, 2000-present

From his earnings as creator of "Seinfeld," Larry David could have bought one of the Virgin Islands and retired to a life of leisure and luxury. Instead, he trumped himself with a comedy series that poked fun at political correctness and poked even more fun at a curmudgeonly version of himself. Plotted but not scripted, "Curb Your Enthusiasm" raised mortification and tactlessness to art forms.

2. THE WEST WING

* NBC, 1999-2006

Creator Aaron Sorkin swore this show wasn't his way of making civics palatable to a mass audience, but it did just that. Neo-cons ran the real White House during most of the show's run. On TV, though, a team of highly principled progressives operated the levers of TV government. Quite possibly, this unfailingly witty and intelligent series, packed with powerful performances, whetted the country's appetite for change it can believe in.

1. THE SOPRANOS

* HBO, 1999-2007

From its opening musings about ducks in Tony Soprano's swimming pool to its ambiguous and much-discussed ending, "The Sopranos" pioneered a new form of drama. Creator David Chase brilliantly melded the dark, violent world of organized crime boss Soprano (James Gandolfini) with the conventions of middle-class suburbia. It dominated water cooler conversation even though, as an HBO program, it was available in only a small fraction of the nation's households.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

A Top 10 TV List without Doctor Who on it?!? The blackguards!!!

Seriously though, even by serious american tv standards, I'm very "hmmmmm" about that list. OK, so the Sopranos is on that list, which is truly a great show, but where's Deadwood? Where's Rome? Where's basically every single great HBO drama ever? I've never watched the Wire, but considering the rave reviews i've heard of it, i'm shocked! And 24?!? Come on, that show was absolutely fantastic when it first started, but now it's so ridiculous it's bordering on self parody:

"I'm gonna go out there and switch on the ventilation!"
    "But Jack, that room's full of nerve gas! You'll never make it!"

Ok, so the previous two sentences were paraphrases in the extreme, but this quote is word for word from the show:

"I can hold my breath!"

Erm...what the fuck?

No House? No Monk?

No. Just no.

EDIT: Thanks for putting up the list though, pam!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

That list...wee-ow.

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

excellent list pammie baby.

however i must be missing something as i only watch/have ever watched one of them
    ;lost; hmmmm

My Mood
    Gay

I liked the list, and some of the show, but I'd have things in a different order.

I'd have West Wing as # 1.

To me, West Wing ( at least the first five seasons where Sorkin was around ) is one of the best written, best acted television shows. Period.

( Remember, that list is strictly best shows in the past decade. )

I never really liked The Shield... and I'd have Saving Grace on there, and maybe Big Love.

Surprisingly, I was never a big Sopranos fan.

Oh, and I think Doctor Who isn't there because it's a UK program. Those seem pretty exclusively US shows.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Anyone know if Defying Gravity is coming back?

And as far as the top 10 list, here's my 2 cents;

I think Modern Family is humerus, but top 10? I love Ed O'Neil, but he's just to much like Al Bundy from Married with Children.
    And I think True Blood should be on that list.

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Quote Originally Posted by Mordred Deschain View Post
    I highly doubt it. They were supposed to air the remaining episodes but I don't foresee that happening now either. Especially since it's getting released on dvd next month.

I finished watching them all, and now I'm extra sad that it's not on air anymore. I really enjoyed it, and they could have gone pretty far with it.

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I highly doubt it. They were supposed to air the remaining episodes but I don't foresee that happening now either. Especially since it's getting released on dvd next month.

I finished watching them all, and now I'm extra sad that it's not on air anymore. I really enjoyed it, and they could have gone pretty far with it.
    Ya I was really enjoying it to. And the cliff hangover....jeez! Are the remaining episodes going to be on the dvd?

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Ya I was really enjoying it to. And the cliff hangover....jeez! Are the remaining episodes going to be on the dvd?
    Yep, and if you're super curious they're all already online. I didn't like the way ABC ended it. They really have showed the remaining episodes because it would have made more sense. Or at least have shown one more, because everything pretty much was explained in the following episode.

John F. Kennedy craig85br is on a distinguished road

Born and raised in Essex, England but currently living in Lille, France
    Country
    Country Flag

And as far as the top 10 list, here's my 2 cents;

I think Modern Family is humerus, but top 10? I love Ed O'Neil, but he's just to much like Al Bundy from Married with Children.
    And I think True Blood should be on that list.

I think True BLood should be on there but the biggest mistake on the list in my opinion is the omission of Dexter. It is a world class TV show!!! It has everything you could want in a TV show!!

My Mood
    Gay

Well, True Blood has really only had two short seasons, so can you really call it the best of the decade with so few episodes? Same goes for Modern Family.

John F. Kennedy craig85br is on a distinguished road

Born and raised in Essex, England but currently living in Lille, France
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Well, True Blood has really only had two short seasons, so can you really call it the best of the decade with so few episodes? Same goes for Modern Family.
    Good point there. I think if it runs for a few more seasons at the same pace and content it has a rightful place on the list!

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

i am curious as to what defying gravity is about. never heard of it. can i get the cliff notes version.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 188 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 68 118 ... LastLast