Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 119 of 188 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 169 ... LastLast
Results 2,951 to 2,975 of 4692

Thread: General Television Discussion

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mae View Post
    Wow!!!!! I gotta say this seems absolutely ludicrous on the surface of it all. First, after watching the video (Thx for that, Mae!!!) it seems fairly evident that the two hosts have never read the books. Second, the numbers seem prohibitive. Third, I may be off base, but I seem to recall that Chris Tolkien and/or the heirs was/were miffed over the sale of the rights to, Peter Jackson because he/they felt that, Jackson didn't do right by J.R.R.'s original material or something like that. As I recall, he stated that he couldn't wait to have the rights revert back to the family never to be sold again. Of course, $250 million buys a LOT of Kleenex for which to cry into and helps to create a genral sense of well being if you know what I mean!!! lol Anyway, if they are planning 5 seasons of shows that means before they even hire a writer, director, film crew and actors their base cost for each season is $50 million dollars!!! Holy crap!!!!

Then there is the question of what story they could possibly be thinking of telling. I admit I am not aware of the machinations/intricacies involved in purchasing story rights, but as a huge fan & collector of the books I would think that the source material they are restricted to is the 3 volume LOTR, which would be the 3 novels and the indexes included in ROTK. Jackson utilized some of the ROTK index material to flesh out "The Hobbit" films, but I was under the impression that the studio/Jackson had additionally purchased the rights to "The Hobbit" and already had the rights to the LOTR trilogy that included the index's. If there is someone here that has a more in depth knowledge of how the book to film rights work I would certainly appreciate an education.

Nevertheless, despite all of that the biggest question to me is still, what freaking story could they possibly be considering telling over 5 seasons? I mean flawed when compared to the novels as you may consider them, Jackson covered the "Money" stories (i.e. The Hobbit & LOTR) pretty damn well in 6, 3 hr (nore or less) feature films IMHO. He also did so with what? 6-8-10 marquee top of the line actors that became iconic in their roles and performances. On the surface I immediately think that the only available story material yet to be covered and also of any true substance would be from "The Silmarillon" which is a prequel of sorts containing what is basically a very expanded version of the material provided in the ROTK indexes. If you haven't read "The Silmarillon" it's basically a collection of unfinished works that, Chris Tolkien hammered into a novel. That would seem to mean that they bought the rights to the wrong book!!! lol Again, I am not an expert in how film rights work and the two video hosts may not be relating the proper terms with regard to the novels either. As I said, I didn't get the impression that they were fans of the novels so the info in the video could be somewhat skewed. Obviously, I need to read the THR article, which hopefully offers more detailed information.

Still, I get drawn back to the shear numbers and what possible profit/benefit, Amazon could get from a 5 season long show that doesn't earn a single dollar in profit until it has generated one billion dollars!!!! Have TPTB at Amazon taken to smoking crack at their luncheons these days? LOL Does the new purchase of the LOTR rights entitle them to all the merchandising and put a stop to all of New Line's merchandise production? Does anybody here know how all that shit works in the business world? And as long as I'm on a roll asking questions who the heck would you possibly cast as say, Gandalf, Aragon, Frodo, etc. that could take your mind off of Ian McCellan, Viggo Mortenson, Elijah Wood, etc?

I apologize for the length of this post and I probably forgot to mention two thirds of the questions in my mind regarding this announcement. Again, I would really appreciate the insight/knowledge of anyone (or collectively?) here that is familiar with how these things work. 'The Hobbit & LOTR" are probably my most favorite novels of all time and I collect rare editions of the books to this day (Pics are available in my collection thread which has some truly awesome and inspired "Dolso" wooden cases for the more valuable editions I've collected) and have passed this wonderful story down to my son and now my grandson all of which is to say I am a HUGE fan of the works!!!

So if there are any "Movie Nerds", Film Moguls, LARPers or film fanatics out there who are well versed in "The Biz" side of something like this please, school me away!!! lol lol You'll not find a more eager listener out there!!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

This one of those properties that just makes sense to be made into a TV or movie. It's also one of those properties that has had a long history. It's been in development with various studios over the past decade. It was supposed to be a movie, but now it looks like it might settle in on TV, which makes more sense.

If you haven't read the graphic novels, pick them up. They're fantastic.

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/fx-y...ot-1202745185/
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    This one of those properties that just makes sense to be made into a TV or movie. It's also one of those properties that has had a long history. It's been in development with various studios over the past decade. It was supposed to be a movie, but now it looks like it might settle in on TV, which makes more sense.

Sounds kind of lonely. What can you compare it to? I heard Dreadstar was going to be adapted into a show. Anyone know if true or when?
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post

Sounds kind of lonely. What can you compare it to? I heard Dreadstar was going to be adapted into a show. Anyone know if true or when?
    Oh, he has company! He's the last man on Earth. Everyone else left alive is a female. Believe me, he stays busy. I personally can think of a few things to do.

Besides, he has a pet monkey.

It has a Walking Dead vibe. Minus the blood thirsty zombies.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

I will take a look and find it and read it. Of course, after I blow through "The Terror." Overall it is a bit slow, but I love the atmosphere of it. Seems a bit too long though.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

My Mood
    Confused

Thoughts on "The Alienist" anyone? I really enjoyed it and disappointed that it is, or allegedly is, one and done. I feel there could be another season of these characters working together for another mentally unstable killer on a spree.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Of course, after I blow through "The Terror." Overall it is a bit slow, but I love the atmosphere of it. Seems a bit too long though.
    I thought it was actually moving way to quickly But that's probably because I've read the book, and there's so much to the story, that I know they're only going to be able to fit a fraction of the book in. Not a fan of all the changes they're making to it also. If I separate it from the book though, I'm enjoying it.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The Expanse returns tonight. I already bought snacks and will be turning my phone off.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I am really enjoying this season of Timeless. I love that it's more character-focused, not to mention they're exploring other parts of history instead of wars, wars, and more wars. The reduced episode count also forces it to be more focused.

As for The Terror, I haven't watched this week's but...not so much.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thoughts on "The Alienist" anyone? I really enjoyed it and disappointed that it is, or allegedly is, one and done. I feel there could be another season of these characters working together for another mentally unstable killer on a spree.
    I loved The Alienist. I hope they bring it back. All 3 leads are A-List film actors, but I'd love to see them do a season 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I am really enjoying this season of Timeless. I love that it's more character-focused, not to mention they're exploring other parts of history instead of wars, wars, and more wars. The reduced episode count also forces it to be more focused.
    I love Timeless! It's one of the easiest to digest shows on TV. The characters are great, the stories are fun. Yes, it's procedural in nature, but it's much more watchable than a typical procedural network show.

My Mood
    Confused

Netlix "Lost in Space," anyone watching?
    Overall I thought it was forgettable. It seemed like a prequel to the show. Episodes seemed to drag too long on meager problems the characters had or fell into. They are going out into the unknown with no weapons; none?! Really?! And "their" version of Dr. Smith I felt was awfully done.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

4 episodes in, losing interest in Altered Carbon...

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    Interesting. IMO, that's about where it started to turn around and get more entertaining. It was a pretty slow build-up before that.
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

It's funny. I stalled at episode 5. I didn't lose interest, but I certainly didn't squeeze in episodes whenever I had a moment. That's when you know you are super into something. Whether it's a TV show, video game or book. When you try to consume it whenever you have a moment or two. I decided to back burner it and catch up on the rest of my backlog and so there it sits.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I enjoyed Altered Carbon; binge watched it straight through in one sitting.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Oh, hells yes!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

YAASS!!!

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Country
    Country Flag

Featuring Sophia Lillis playing the young Amy Adams, which should have been the reverse for It 2.

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

I made it through ep. 3. I take it that it didn't get better. I was disappointed.
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Country
    Country Flag

Oh no, it's the final season

Country
    Country Flag

Do we have a Netflix Marvel thread? I couldn't find one...

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

May 18th

Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

My wife and I watched every season of SOA when it was on FX and then later bought all the seasons on DVD. When I heard Sutter was making a spin-off, I was really hoping it would be about the "first 9". I'm interested in this new show but not really excited about it.

The field of roses looks really cool too...

My Mood
    Confused

I loved SOA and for so many seasons was shocked it was so good for that long of a run. However, I felt the ending was so idiotic and egotistic, that the show drops notches down the line for me regarding "great" shows. As for a spin-off.......I'm not sure I'll make the time for it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 119 of 188 FirstFirst ... 19 69 109 117 118 119 120 121 129 169 ... LastLast