Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 113 of 188 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 111 112 113 114 115 123 163 ... LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,825 of 4692

Thread: General Television Discussion

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    http://collider.com/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series-amazon/
    It’s been a little over fifteen years since Peter Jackson‘s The Lord of the Rings trilogy concluded and you know what that means: remake time!

As Deadline reported today, the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien is currently shopping around rights to a TV series based on The Lord of the Rings with a hefty sticker price. The Tolkien estate has put a price tag of $200-250 million dollars on the rights and is currently taking meetings with Netflix and Amazon to discuss the next iteration of the beloved fantasy novels. Whereas earlier reports suggested that Warner Bros. Television and Amazon were already in talks for the series, it seems that Netflix is still in the running, whereas powerhouse HBO has apparently already turned down the offer.

There’s good reason for HBO to make that move. It already has Game of Thrones and what is starting to look like an endless series of spin-offs of George R.R. Martin that ensures that they will never have to seriously consider an original idea ever again to make money. On top of that, the $200 million payment is just for the rights and they are apparently quite limited to make sure that any spin-off would have to include another rights payment. This is even before we start talking about production costs, which would put the full price of making this series well over the half-a-billion mark.

That’s likely why Amazon is currently the favorite to take the deal, if it’s taken at all. Amazon honcho Jeff Bezos has mandated that Amazon’s streaming service needs a major fantasy series to compete with Game of Thrones and this would fit his bill, even if there are thousands of other fantasy and science-fiction series that haven’t been touched. Hell, nobody has been able to do a decent adaptation of Orson Scott Card‘s “Ender” series, but then you don’t necessarily want to be giving more money to a vehement racist. The Lord of the Rings offers name recognition and a clear map for spin-off series that could help with Bezos’ push to stop putting money into genuinely great TV (Transparent, Mozart in the Jungle, One Mississippi, Catastrophe, etc.) and move more toward series that could compete against major film franchises.

As Deadline points out, its strange that Warner Bros. and the Tolkien estate are working together after a lawsuit involving the use of Tolkien’s characters on slot machines had them at odds for something like half a decade. Still, nothing brings big companies together like the possibility for more money and the appeal of just remaking or rebooting stories that have already been told ad nauseum. This could very well be the big deal that Bezos has been searching for in his journey for cultural domination. On the other hand, Jackson has already put together over ten hours of inspiring filmmaking and visual storytelling based on Tolkien’s books. Amazon may be able to pay for the right director, writers, crew, and cast to make this thing work but other than fans of the books who feel like they’ve been robbed because Jackson cut out hours of maps, songs, narrative detours, and unendurable histories, is there really an audience for this that would justify spending double the cost of The Washington Post on this?
    If they greenlight a straight remake, it will be one of the biggest trainwrecks in TV history. Tolkien's world is vast. There's tons to mine material from besides Rings and Hobbit.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yup, if all Tolkien books on Middle Earth are included, then it could be interesting. A television remake of LOTR is not needed.

Gunslinger Apprentice Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Seriously? More Lord of the Rings? Already??

Did any of you guys actually watch all the Hobbit movies? Or was I the only one who was *super* bored with all of this middle earth stuff?

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Andi View Post

Did any of you guys actually watch all the Hobbit movies? Or was I the only one who was *super* bored with all of this middle earth stuff?
    Yes you were the only one bored. LOL I loved all the films.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi has a spectacular aura about Andi's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Really? But *three* Hobbit films! They were just so....bloated!

And that's coming from a woman in love with Luke Evans. So, that's like saying a lot.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Really? But *three* Hobbit films! They were just so....bloated!

And that's coming from a woman in love with Luke Evans. So, that's like saying a lot.
    lol I do think the Hobbit could have been just two.. yes.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Hobbit trilogy was definitely bloated. But I still went and saw them all

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, they were really stretching things, but I saw them all and enjoyed them to varying degrees. I was somewhat obsessed with LoTR when they came out. I saw each one in theaters multiple times. Then I bought the theatrical versions on DVD. Then I bought the Extended Editions on DVD. Then I bought them on Blu-ray. I haven't purchased one Hobbit film on Blu-ray yet, so that tells you something about the 3 Hobbit films.

I will say this, a few years ago I marathoned the 3 Extended Editions of LoTR. It was an awesome day. I still want to marathon all the Hobbit films and the LoTR films in the same day. That would be amazing.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it was just Return of the King that did it to me. I absolutely loved Fellowship and the Two Towers, saw them each multiple times in the theaters, but by the time I got about half way through Return of the King I found myself looking at my watch and wondering what in tarnation those stupid Hobbits are STILL crying about. I know, I know, I shame my nerdy self. But after that I just felt...burnt out.

I guess you really can have too much of a good thing.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Yeah, they were really stretching things, but I saw them all and enjoyed them to varying degrees. I was somewhat obsessed with LoTR when they came out. I saw each one in theaters multiple times. Then I bought the theatrical versions on DVD. Then I bought the Extended Editions on DVD. Then I bought them on Blu-ray. I haven't purchased one Hobbit film on Blu-ray yet, so that tells you something about the 3 Hobbit films.

I will say this, a few years ago I marathoned the 3 Extended Editions of LoTR. It was an awesome day. I still want to marathon all the Hobbit films and the LoTR films in the same day. That would be amazing.
    I had a day off and did this with the extended versions as well. A bit bloated or not, one of the best trilogies of all time, LOTR. I have never seen any extended versions of the three Hobbit movies. Are they any good? I did really enjoy the Hobbit movies.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone seen Alias Grace on Netflix? I'm halfway through and really enjoying watching the story unfold. Sarah Gadon is a breakout star.

She was one of the best parts of 11.22.63.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't watch any of Alias Grace yet but I consider it every time I log into Netflix and see it on the trending/new feed. You really like it, eh? Perhaps I'll finally give it a shot. I need something else to binge watch before Future Man comes out on Hulu in a few days.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I haven't watch any of Alias Grace yet but I consider it every time I log into Netflix and see it on the trending/new feed. You really like it, eh? Perhaps I'll finally give it a shot. I need something else to binge watch before Future Man comes out on Hulu in a few days.
    It's very different than anything else I'm watching right now. It's very slow and methodical in the way it's unfolding the story. I'm having a hard time taking my eyes off of Sarah Gadon. She commands the screen at all times. It's only 6 episodes, so it's one you can get through really quick if you're a binger, which I'm not.

As for Future Man, I'm also looking forward to that one. Reminds me a lot of The Last Starfighter.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default General Television Discussion

I’m binging Rectify on Netflix. Slow moving but I’ve been glued to it the past few days. It draws you in.

Country
    Country Flag

http://www.comingsoon.net/tv/news/90...d-of-the-rings
    Amazon today confirmed the rumors that it has acquired the global television rights to The Lord of the Rings, based on the celebrated fantasy novels by J.R.R. Tolkien, with a multi-season commitment. The upcoming Amazon Prime Original will be produced by Amazon Studios in cooperation with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line Cinema, a division of Warner Bros. Entertainment.

“The Lord of the Rings is a cultural phenomenon that has captured the imagination of generations of fans through literature and the big screen,” said Sharon Tal Yguado, Head of Scripted Series, Amazon Studios. “We are honored to be working with the Tolkien Estate and Trust, HarperCollins and New Line on this exciting collaboration for television and are thrilled to be taking The Lord of the Rings fans on a new epic journey in Middle Earth.”

“We are delighted that Amazon, with its longstanding commitment to literature, is the home of the first-ever multi-season television series for The Lord of the Rings,” said Matt Galsor, a representative for the Tolkien Estate and Trust and HarperCollins. “Sharon and the team at Amazon Studios have exceptional ideas to bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s original writings.”

Set in Middle Earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal includes a potential additional spin-off series.

A world-renowned literary work, and winner of the International Fantasy Award and Prometheus Hall of Fame Award, The Lord of the Rings novels was named Amazon customers’ favorite book of the millennium in 1999 and Britain’s best-loved novel of all time in BBC’s The Big Read in 2003. Its theatrical adaptations, from New Line Cinema and director Peter Jackson, earned a combined gross of nearly $6 billion worldwide. With an all-star cast that included Elijah Wood, Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellen, Liv Tyler, Sean Astin and Orlando Bloom, The Lord of the Rings trilogy garnered a combined 17 Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

The upcoming Amazon Prime Original will be available for Prime members to stream and enjoy using the Amazon Prime Video app for TVs, connected devices including Amazon Fire TV, and mobile devices, or online with other Amazon Prime Originals online at Amazon.com/originals, at no additional cost to their membership. Eligible customers who are not already Prime members can sign up for a free trial at Amazon.com/Prime. For a list of all Amazon Prime Video compatible devices, visit Amazon.com/HowtoStream. The series will be a global release for members to watch via the Prime Video app or online at PrimeVideo.com in more than 200 countries and territories.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Set in Middle Earth, the television adaptation will explore new storylines preceding J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Fellowship of the Ring. The deal includes a potential additional spin-off series.
    The fuck it better.

Welp... looks like it's finally time to get Amazon Prime.

Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if they're calling it The Silmarillion?

Oh and Amazon Prime has great shows as it is: The Man in the High Castle, Transparent, Red Oaks, Bosch, One Mississippi, the upcoming Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams...

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I wonder if they're calling it The Silmarillion?

Oh and Amazon Prime has great shows as it is: The Man in the High Castle, Transparent, Red Oaks, Bosch, One Mississippi, the upcoming Philip K. Dick’s Electric Dreams...
    They better not call it just The Silmarillion. Most people have no clue what that is. Maybe something like The Lord of the Rings: The Silmarillion.

As for Amazon Prime, I'm well aware of their programming. I've been itching to watch High Castle and Bosch. You actually forgot to list another Amazon show I'm dying to watch - Sneaky Pete. The main issue is time. My TV show menu is just bursting at the seams right now. I'm having a hard enough time fitting in all that Netflix has to offer. I have been good about removing shows from my list this year though. Especially new network shows.

Interesting tidbit: Titus Welliver's son goes to the school my mom works at and I saw him at a play.

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Sneaky Pete was pretty good.
    I have cut out some bad shows, to make way for better ones like Mindhunter. I blew out Lore as well. Not bad but the re-enacting was pretty poor and only 6 episodes.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

My TV show menu is just bursting at the seams right now. I'm having a hard enough time fitting in all that Netflix has to offer. I have been good about removing shows from my list this year though. Especially new network shows.
    Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but if it's not on AMC, HBO or Netflix, I don't bother with it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    My TV show menu is just bursting at the seams right now. I'm having a hard enough time fitting in all that Netflix has to offer. I have been good about removing shows from my list this year though. Especially new network shows.
    Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, but if it's not on AMC, HBO or Netflix, I don't bother with it.
    You’re pretty much bang on with that. I have all but given up on every network show... but Big Bang Theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    You’re pretty much bang on with that. I have all but given up on every network show... but Big Bang Theory.

When Sheldon a couple episodes stated "he wanted to touch children everywhere" and didn't comprehend what he said.....I lost it! I still enjoy the show. I almost hate Flash and Arrow now. Those are shows you throw on and make dinner, internet shop, shower, or even clean lol.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm getting there. What about FX? They have some great shows. USA has Mr. Robot, so that's a must watch for me. As for networks, that's where I get most of my sitcoms from. When it comes to dramas, This is Us is the only one I truly enjoy. Lethal Weapon is a guilty pleasure. There's a few others that I watch but only really pay half attention to like Once Upon a Time, which needs to get cancelled and The Blacklist, mainly because Spader is soo good on there.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

You forgot Starz (Ash Vs the Evil Dead) and IFC (Stan Vs Evil and Brockmire).

The rest is mostly hawt garbage.

I do keep Hulu around though....for my Rick and Morty fix and random horror movie binging. Plus, Future Man looks great.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

When Sheldon a couple episodes stated "he wanted to touch children everywhere" and didn't comprehend what he said.....I lost it! I still enjoy the show. I almost hate Flash and Arrow now. Those are shows you throw on and make dinner, internet shop, shower, or even clean lol.
    Did you try Young Sheldon? What trash.... two episodes and done

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 113 of 188 FirstFirst ... 13 63 103 111 112 113 114 115 123 163 ... LastLast