Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 188 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 138 ... LastLast

Thread: General Television Discussion

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Here you go DD, I revived it for you

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...?4232-The-Wire
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Heather!

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Cheers, Heather! Probably won't be that many users who'll comment on it, since The Wire has gotta be one of the least watched tv shows that people rave about. But I'll be posting some thoughts and views on it as I go on, certainly.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I had never even heard of it till you started talking about it
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Really? Cause I've heard so much hype around it, with a number of reviews claiming it to be one of, if not the, greatest tv series ever made. I was skeptical at first, especially as I'm not a fan of cop shows, but...fuck, is it so much more than that! Yep, definitely one that is more and more becoming one of my favourite US shows yet.

- Melike

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone else been enjoying some old school killing on Hatfields & Mccoys?

I think I'm rooting for the Hatfields.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I watched the first ep and the first half of the second last night, yeah. I don't know if I'm specifically rooting for anyone, but I have been enjoying it.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Never seen The Wire, will get to it eventually. Starting Hatfields & McCoys tonight or tomorrow. Love Kevin Costner.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I plan to get to The Wire, eventually. I've come across several online polls that hail it as the greatest show probably ever. Plus, it's got Littlefinger in it !

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    What show is it in reference to?

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I plan to get to The Wire, eventually. I've come across several online polls that hail it as the greatest show probably ever. Plus, it's got Littlefinger in it !
    I've certainly had no problems with it so far, Fernando. Excellent characters, excellent dialogue, huge interweaving storylines...yeah, it's definitely one of the best I've watched. So long as you give it a little patience, you end up addicted to it. I really haven't seen anything like it, tbh.

- Melike

Gunslinger Apprentice Hbgunslinger is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Hatfield and Mccoys was a good miniseries. It was really good to see some of my all time favorites Tom Berenger especially and Powers Boothe. The show was well done and the acting was very well done. My only complaint was the way it ended, just kind of had a "well we ran out of time lets just end it"

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    What show is it in reference to?
    ANYTHING I DON'T WATCH AND THAT'S A LOT.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I think you all know my feelings of UK to US remakes by now: some of them may have the potential to succeed, others are a bad idea from the start, but most of them ultimately fail. Here's a link I found on the number of remakes planned for this year:

http://www.denofgeek.com/tv/us-remak...-tv-shows-work

Wow. I mean I knew about Elementary (which there's a 99% chance that it won't be as good as Sherlock, although whether it will be total shite at all is up in the air atm), and Misfits, well, that might succeed, but will probably epically fail if on a network channel and not cable, but Only Fools & Horses? Not only one of the greatest British tv sitcoms ever made, but one that is essentially British? They're really scraping the bottom of the barrel for something like that. Jesus fucking Christ.

- Melike

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The problem isn't that UK to US remakes generally suck; it is that remakes generally suck.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yes, but US producers generally go the extra distance to making UK remakes suck twice as much!

- Melike

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It is all an extension of our tea party...just another way of getting at y'all.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Yep. Next on the list: Doctor Who, starring Jim Carrey! (Which, believe it or not, they actually tried to do in 1996, but he turned it down. It's a miracle that we got a Doctor as great as McGann at all!)

- Melike

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Keanu Reeves jus signed on for the new Doctor Who....the bbc one not a us remake.

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Keanu Reeves jus signed on for the new Doctor Who....the bbc one not a us remake.
    If that were to actually happen, these would be my initial reactions:

Followed by hunting the prick down who made it happen, get my own robot and arrange this (NSFW):
    Spoiler:

- Melike

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Some UK to US remakes are decent (yes, I used a list):

The Office (haven't seen the original, but I LOVE the US one)
    Shameless (again, haven't seen the original)
    Wilfred (not UK, I know, but you guys all sound alike to me, lol)
    Being Human isn't TOO horrible
    Hell's Kitchen, MasterChef, Kitchen Nightmares, etc.
    American Idol
    America's Got Talent
    Dancing With The Stars
    Top Gear
    X-Factor
    The Weakest Link
    Who Wants To Be A Millionaire
    Whose Line Is It Anyway?
    All In The Family
    Three's Company

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

The only UK-to-US remake I actually enjoy massively to the original is Whose Line Is It Anyway. I think that's mostly because I understand more of the references, ergo it's funnier as a general rule. And that is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. My roommate and I quote it constantly. Good times

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Some UK to US remakes are decent (yes, I used a list):

The Office (haven't seen the original, but I LOVE the US one)
    Shameless (again, haven't seen the original)
    Wilfred (not UK, I know, but you guys all sound alike to me, lol)
    Being Human isn't TOO horrible
    Hell's Kitchen, MasterChef, Kitchen Nightmares, etc.
    American Idol
    America's Got Talent
    Dancing With The Stars
    Top Gear
    X-Factor
    The Weakest Link
    Who Wants To Be A Millionaire
    Whose Line Is It Anyway?
    All In The Family
    Three's Company
    Reads like a lot, but take out the game shows and reality/talent shows, which is really down to how dumb/talentless you can make the contestants to make it entertaining (you know I'm right ), and another that's Australian, and there's about 5 dramas or sitcoms based on UK shows that are actually good. Most tend to suck. Look at this list.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...evision_series

I mean if you've heard of half the sitcoms/dramas on that list, I'll be impressed. Most seem to be one-off pilots or cancelled after a few episodes. So generally, US remakes do suck, but there are, as you pointed out, exceptions. It doesn't matter if they're as good as the original (the office US isn't, but it's still pretty good, watching right now, actually), as long as it's good, that's what counts. And we both know that a US remake of Doctor Who would definitely suck!

- Melike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 188 FirstFirst ... 28 36 37 38 39 40 48 88 138 ... LastLast