Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 567 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 509 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

M.I.A. Unfound One is on a distinguished road Unfound One's Avatar

Conveniently, a majority of the time the books I want happen to be paperback.
    I just find it more cost effective and they're so much easier to transport.
    The few hardcover books I have are the Harry Potter books - I went to midnight releases for them.
    I'm sure my DT books (or at least the last 3) would all be hardcover if I had known about the series back when they were being released...

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

i don't read hardbacks... i only buy them
    then put them in my bookcase so everyone can go WOOOO!

actually.... i buy one hardback and stick it the case for the wooo factor... and one hardback to read. then a UK version, a proof, a limited..... etc.

seriously...for reading, always hardback for all things king...
    paperbacks pretty much for every other author.... unless i'm at a discount book store and find the hardback for cheap.... then i'll get it.

WARNING Mark, once you go hardback, you never come back.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm a hardback/paperback guy too. I buy the hardback for my bookshelf (and to read if I can't wait). I'll pick up a paperback somewhere along the way to read or re-read. They're handy and expenable.

I rarely read new releases, so my system seems to work.

Mark, if you're going to shell out the 22 quid, make sure you're getting a good first edition/first printing. It makes it all worth it.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by NeedfulKings View Post
    ... Mark, if you're going to shell out the 22 quid, make sure you're getting a good first edition/first printing. It makes it all worth it.
    I agree completely. For new King books, I buy 1st/1st, although I have plenty of paperbacks from the days before I starting collecting. Other authors I'll go with whatever's on the shelf. Because of my commute, a lot of my reading copies (both King and others) these days are downloaded audiobooks from audible.com.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey, thanks everyone for your help, much appreciated. I've got a picture of the cover off waterstones.co.uk

And the synopsis...

Synopsis

Upon its initial publication in 1975, "Salem's Lot", with its 'intended echoes of Dracula' was recognized as a landmark work. The novel has sold millions of copies in various editions. Now, with the addition of fifty pages of material deleted from the 1975 manuscript as well as material that has since been modified by King, an introduction by him, and two short stories related to the events of the novel, this edition represents the text as the author envisioned it. It also features lavishly creepy photographs by acclaimed photographer Jerry Uelsmann, printed interior endpapers, and a stunning page design.
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Oh yeah, my sister bought this for me for Christmas. It does have some awesome illustrations in it.

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Paperback if you want to read it. If your like me, any book I've ever owned in Hardback is ruined if I read it. My personal choice would be both, though. Not much help, huh?

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Default DT Portfolio - Advice Please.

Friends -

I recently purchased a Waste Lands art portfolio. It is still in it's original shrink wrap. Here are some details:

"Limited edition portfolio of 12 color plates, signed by the artist. Still in original shrinkwrap."
    Author: DAMERON, Ned
    Title: WASTE LAND PORTFOLIO; Illustrations from the Grant Bookseller Book

I was wondering if anyone had some advise as to how I should store these. Should I remove them from the shrink wrap? Should they be placed in individual sleeves of somekind? Should I get a box? Honestly, I have no clue how to preserve these.

Also, I paid about 50 dollars for this set. How did I do?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Long Days,
    turtlex
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    Friends -

I recently purchased a Waste Lands art portfolio. It is still in it's original shrink wrap. Here are some details:

"Limited edition portfolio of 12 color plates, signed by the artist. Still in original shrinkwrap."
    Author: DAMERON, Ned
    Title: WASTE LAND PORTFOLIO; Illustrations from the Grant Bookseller Book

I was wondering if anyone had some advise as to how I should store these. Should I remove them from the shrink wrap? Should they be placed in individual sleeves of somekind? Should I get a box? Honestly, I have no clue how to preserve these.

Also, I paid about 50 dollars for this set. How did I do?
    I don't think they need any special storage consideration. I took mine out of the shrinkwrap so that I could look at them. I have mine laying flat in a closet stacked with a bunch of other portfolios so that they don't get bent.

The Donald Grant website still has them for sale for a little less than you paid.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

We sell them for $30
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Gay

Bummer, looks like I paid too much. Drat.

Thanks for the advise.

Anyone have any other DT portfolios?

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Super Saiyan Mark is on a distinguished road Mark's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Stupid question but... Is a portfolio a collection of art work on like a big sheet? So if i were to buy the portfolio you bought, turtlex, i could take each picture out, and hang them up in my house?
    2:45 am- 11th February 2008- I Finished The Dark Tower

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Mark88880 View Post
    Stupid question but... Is a portfolio a collection of art work on like a big sheet? So if i were to buy the portfolio you bought, turtlex, i could take each picture out, and hang them up in my house?

Not a stupid question, no such thing. Not one sheet, no. There are 12 individual prints. You could definitely frame them and hang them separately. That would be cool.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have two sets of the DT portfolio. One set was matted, framed and hung, the other I have stored.
    I am going to fold this into the general Q&A thread with a 1 day redirect.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

My portfolio is still in the shrinkwrap. I have it stored in the mailer that my copy of The Stand portfolio came in--that mailer is pretty big and has plenty of extra room.

John

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll probably buy another one soon (a regular one) to frame the illustrations.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Gay

Friends -

Can you list any websites were DT art is available for purchase. I have two Michael Whelan prints, which I love.

I went to the Darrel Anderson site (www.braid.com/darktower/index.htm) but when I tried to purchase a print, I got a notice that the shop was closed (major bummer, I wanted a turtle print).

Does anyone know of any others.

Thanks very much in advance.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Default Sk books

I've noticed that some of his books are getting harder and harder to get a hold of new copies of. Why is this? Don't these publishers know they need to keep reprinting books because we keep wearing them out?

Just didn't know if anyone knew about a big reissuing for certain books like Misery, The Stand, Insomnia, etc., was coming up...

Perhaps this should go in SK news... but sometimes i get lost here.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Are you talking hardcover or paperback? Because I've seen just about the entire King collection in paperback in my local Barnes & Noble.

EBay is also a great place to look for secondhand books.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

When all the hullabaloo dies down over his soldier comments all the Dittoheads will need to rebuy the books they've burnt.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm still waiting for the mass selling of the first editions - my "stimulus check" can CERTAINLY go for that.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I'm just hoping they're SO disgusted with him that they'll just want to give them away rather than taint their house with them.

*runs to register at every site they're talking about it*
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I really think we should begin a campaign to collect those horrible books for the better of humanity.

...then we can keep the books.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, I was just gonna' burn them for all those good folk. Honest, I was.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice MrsSmeej is on a distinguished road MrsSmeej's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Are you looking for volunteers for the collection site? I would like to be added to that list please.

It just occurred to me... Shouldn't we have a code word so that Mr. Sheppard's supporters don't catch on to the plan?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 567 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 19 59 109 509 ... LastLast