Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 567 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 154 554 ... LastLast
Results 1,326 to 1,350 of 14174

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Do both books have orange pastedowns?

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll dbl check in a bit. I have the black board one in the car. I run out in a bit and make sure it has black boards, black cloth and red or orange paste downs.

Anything else I should check while I'm out there?
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    I'll dbl check in a bit. I have the black board one in the car. I run out in a bit and make sure it has black boards, black cloth and red or orange paste downs.

Your oil.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I have two copies myself. both have all the points of a 1st edition, 1st printing. One has the SK in gold on the front board, the other does not.

Perhaps since the books were printed by different printers, and this is one difference.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

Your oil.

Country
    Country Flag

OK, I lied. It's all black, boards, binding and pastedowns.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to Eric I now have a 1st state Four Past Midnight with the gold SK on the front cover.

I had a copy that had the price and 1st printing, but the SK was just embossed black same as the boards.

Do the collectors out there think it's worth it to keep both?

What exactly did the Gold vs. Black SK signify?
    The first copies issued have gold embossed "S.K." initials on the book's front board (cover). Later printings had black embossing.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks. Weird since the copy page has 1 - 10 on it.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher

My Collection

Country
    Country Flag

There's a few books that have differences in them, even though they are first edition/first printings, with full numberlines.

The UK Rose Madder springs to mind. One state has black endpapers and the other has a picture of a rose.

The UK Nightmares and Dreamscapes has the picture of the house opposite page 448 in one state, and page 433 on another state.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm keeping both.

Thanks for all the info peoples
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher

My Collection

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Few weeks ago, I've recieved from a published, single-sided pages printed of an upcomming book. Some kind of 2nd draft printing... a thick pack of paper lol.
    It's not King related, but i was wondering.

Does anyone have anything like this, related to Stephen King?
    (I guess it's before the galley bound state, and before the proofs in the timeline).
    In the case of King, would it be worths anything?
    (i guess that if it's an early book it would, or if someone loves a book would may want something like this).
    Being nosy...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Thanks to Eric I now have a 1st state Four Past Midnight with the gold SK on the front cover.

I had a copy that had the price and 1st printing, but the SK was just embossed black same as the boards.

The first copies issued have gold embossed "S.K." initials on the book's front board (cover). Later printings had black embossing.
    In my collection I have a review copy with inserted promo material that has non-gold SK letters on the front board.

Also, King inscribed several copies to sales reps. I've got one of those with associated promo material that is also the non-gold variety.

The copy I bought at the bookstore when the book came out has gold SK initials on the front board.

From what is in my collection I would think the non-gold variety is first, but I really don't have any first hand knowledge. Just guessing.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post

In my collection I have a review copy with inserted promo material that has non-gold SK letters on the front board.

Also, King inscribed several copies to sales reps. I've got one of those with associated promo material that is also the non-gold variety.

The copy I bought at the bookstore when the book came out has gold SK initials on the front board.

From what is in my collection I would think the non-gold variety is first, but I really don't have any first hand knowledge. Just guessing.
    Perhaps I should amend the listing in the Catalog to mention both states, with a note indicating it is still undetermined which-if either, or both, is/are to be considered a true 1st/1st.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My understanding was always that both fit the requirements of a 1st/1st, but that the gold embossing came first (from what I've read on sites like Tomas'). But I think its more like the Tommyknockers where both red and gold DJs are 1sts, but some places will list one or the other as the "true" first.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    My understanding was always that both fit the requirements of a 1st/1st, but that the gold embossing came first (from what I've read on sites like Tomas'). But I think its more like the Tommyknockers where both red and gold DJs are 1sts, but some places will list one or the other as the "true" first.
    The difference with Tommyknockers is that the 1st/1st difference is in the dust jacket, not the actual book. There are several differences in dust jackets:

'Salems Lot x 3
    Pet Semetary
    Tommyknockers
    Rose Madder
    On Writing (UK)
    From a Buick 8 (UK)
    Lisey's Story (UK)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

In this particular instance, I think we are defining (clarifying) which book(s) will be considered 1st's. Bob had an excellent example providing evidence that the non-embossed was included in promo material, and thus deserves consideration as the true 1st. Other than anecdotal, no evidence has been produced as yet to argue that the embossed was the true 1st.
    For now-subject to change; my opinion is both qualify equally. I think there were 1.5 million printed initially, it wouldn't surprise me if half were embossed and half were not.
    Excellent fodder for discussion.

Country
    Country Flag

Here's what I have...

Quater bound with black cloth.
    Black boards.
    Orange paste downs.
    SK is embossed on the front cover, but black.
    Title is embossed on the spine in Gold
    Flap price is U.S. $22.95, Canada $29.95.
    Number line is 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1.

Need any more pics?

-Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher

My Collection

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Fairly comprehensive. So far the front board, not the DJ or CR page is the puzzle.
    I am sure we'll work it out.

Country
    Country Flag

For those who want to see both types of embossing:

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Up in the Collections forum, gsvec posted a couple pictures of her edition of Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?. I answered with my copy, which is quite different than hers. I thought the discussion of these differences should be down here.

As I pointed out above, my edition is a trade paperback with a different cover, pagination and page layout. According to Justin Brooks' Primary Bibliography, there was only one edition of this book and his description matches my copy. Gsvec obviously has another edition.

Does anyone have any light to shine on this?

John

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I can only tell you I have seen both before. I've seen the one you have online a couple times and the one she has was carried at our local Waldenbooks for awhile.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Up in the Collections forum, gsvec posted a couple pictures of her edition of Bred Any Good Rooks Lately?. I answered with my copy, which is quite different than hers. I thought the discussion of these differences should be down here.

As I pointed out above, my edition is a trade paperback with a different cover, pagination and page layout. According to Justin Brooks' Primary Bibliography, there was only one edition of this book and his description matches my copy. Gsvec obviously has another edition.

Does anyone have any light to shine on this?

John
    Gsvec's one is a later printing edition.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think it would be a second printing, because of the major differences between the two volumes. I think, at best, gsvec's copy is a second edition.

John

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The interesting thing, thought, is there's no mention of a previous printing on the CP - just the 1986 copyright in addition to the 1994 one. Since there's a full number line, I'll go for 2nd edition.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

+ Reply to Thread
Page 54 of 567 FirstFirst ... 4 44 52 53 54 55 56 64 104 154 554 ... LastLast