Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 567 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 552 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,300 of 14170

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I suspect every book with a dust jacket has variant dust jackets as designers tweak the design for the final edition. A lot of these probably aren't yet recognized by collectors as most of the rejected or trial designs stay within the publishing house. I suspect this is the case with the "yellow lettered" dj for THE DARK HALF.

In the case of ROSE MADDER there are several known variants. This first photo shows (on left) a proof dust jacket with King's name in black on the front panel and in red on the spine. This one is not in Beahm's last collectibles book.

On the right is a rejected design that has King's name in red on both the front panel and the spine. I think this was rejected because King's name didn't really stand out enough. Both of these have the book title in much larger letters than on the final design.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Another proof dj on the left with the final design showing King's name in white on both the front panel and the spine but without the Viking logo printed on the lower part of the spine.

Final design of dj on the right.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I'll see if I can get some photos

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Yeah - it was CT. I was there.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

Wait, wasnt it called "Just Books, Too?"

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

This is the one I posted in the jhanic proofs thread under Collectibles:

It is probably the most common of the "alternate" Rose Madder dust jackets. It's the same one as the left-most one in Bob's first picture.

Interestingly enough also is the fact that if a seller lists Rose Madder on eBay and selects the "Stock Photo", this is the image that is used!

John

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks guys!

Life is a garden...dig it!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey Dolan, have any photos?
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Gunslinger Apprentice Glass is on a distinguished road Glass's Avatar

Yes, Patrick, merge away.

Once I had a storefront picture, I figured out it was the Connecticut store.
    Order The Talisman: The Road of Trials comic book set signed by Robin Furth and Tony Shasteen at The Signed Page!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Shawn. We'll wait a bit longer to see if Kenny (or anyone else) wants to post photos of the event.

(Side note: The duplicate thread has been moved to The Clearing as this thread contains the meaningful discussion.)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Had someone ask this via PM and I thought I would toss it to the group. I don know The Stand notoriously "yellowed".

I bought a fine/fine copy of Firestarter and it's in wonderful condition. I was wondering if Firestarter copies are supossed to be perfect white or if they were published with a DJ color slightly off-white. My copy looks fine by itself, but when you put it up to another SK book with whites in it (insomnia whites) it looks dull. Verdict?

Yes, my good friend Shannon (Wiz, you met her before) took me from the YMCA to the CT book signing in a LIMO! She was amazing. iI she is on these boards, I'd love her to say hi! I think of her a lot...she is an amazing person. (Sorry for quality... it moved VERY FAST!)

Here we are:

King and Whelan

Shannon and King

King and I

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for sharing, Kenny.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Had someone ask this via PM and I thought I would toss it to the group. I don know The Stand notoriously "yellowed".

I bought a fine/fine copy of Firestarter and it's in wonderful condition. I was wondering if Firestarter copies are supossed to be perfect white or if they were published with a DJ color slightly off-white. My copy looks fine by itself, but when you put it up to another SK book with whites in it (insomnia whites) it looks dull. Verdict?
    I've seen Firestarter with varying stages of white. I just figured the differences in colors was due to age, handling, and exposure. So I am not sure.

IMO - I would think that most whites from the age of Firestarter would seem a little dull when compared to a newer white like Insomnia.

Life is a garden...dig it!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Here are a couple of photos pertaining to The Dark Half question:

Colorblind as I am, I definitely see two different colors here. I may have misquoted what he said about the author's name on the spine earlier. Here is his comment:

The “Stephen King” on the spine of the dust jacket with the yellow lettering on the front is slightly lighter than the “Stephen King” on the spine of the dust jacket with the orange lettering on the front.

You will notice in the file name “Orange S” that the “S” is a bit orange

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Those definitely look like two different colors, to me.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Gunslinger Apprentice batsker will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

I would guess it was an off-white, because even with the yellowing due to aging, wouldn't there usually be some variation between the spine and the rest of the dust jacket? Mine is an even off-white throughout.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post

I wonder if this isn't just a case of sun fading. The "Orange S" is slightly around the curve of the spine and might not have been exposed to the light as much.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post

I wonder if this isn't just a case of sun fading. The "Orange S" is slightly around the curve of the spine and might not have been exposed to the light as much.
    I agree. I am going to post some pics of trade Eyes of the Dragon that show noticeable color differences-which I attribute to being exposed to light.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I agree. I am going to post some pics of trade Eyes of the Dragon that show noticeable color differences-which I attribute to being exposed to light.

EDIT:

I am intrigued. My EOTD have gold lettering on the spine of two, and red lettering on the spine of two others. The gold does not appear to be faded.
    I took pictures, but the flash, and broadart covers on some make it difficult.
    I will post pics, but also try to scan.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quick scan:

The gold/faded is on the left in spine and face scans of the book.

I wonder if these aren't just quality control issues during production.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

(It could be interesting to have a thread about variant covers and rejected DJ only no?)
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 52 of 567 FirstFirst ... 2 42 50 51 52 53 54 62 102 152 552 ... LastLast