Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 459 of 567 FirstFirst ... 359 409 449 457 458 459 460 461 469 509 559 ... LastLast
Results 11,451 to 11,475 of 14171

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

I seem to remember reading somewhere that there are 2 versions of the S/L MY PRETTY PONY tray case. The 1st edition the title on the spine is horizontal & on the 2nd edition it was vertical. Can anyone verify this?

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

My dilemma. I recently moved and apparently the area I live in my collectible insurance won't cover flood damage. They won't give it to me because of the "risk." Nothing got damaged but it is about the future "maybes." I have amassed a nice collection, so if there is another hurricane, I would have to take everything with me just in case. Many King books aren't that valuable. You know, the many novels of high volume print runs like Cell, Lisey's Story, Insomnia, etc. Many firsts that don't hold weight, but take up space so to speak. Some of his newer novels, CD makes a great slipcase for them which raises their value, but most seem to not care when it comes to resell.

I have been kicking around the idea that attempting to become a completion-ist collector, financially and space wise, will be improbable for me personally. I have also been thinking since I have Insomnia S/L and the gift edition, that the other first edition isn't worth having around as the value is nil (as an example of many of King's books). But, there are some valuable normal trade editions like It, Firestarter, Shining, Carrie, etc that are worth obviously holding onto and collecting.

What would you do? Is there a cut off for normal trade hardbacks to not collect based on value down the road? Am I over thinking this and should hold onto everything even though many trade hardbacks are worth just 10.00 bucks? Is there a timeline that collectors stop collecting? Are there people out there that only collect lettered, S/L, and gift editions only, but own some first editions that end with It or Misery or a certain period? Any thoughts and hindsight would be great!

I do know some collectors collect only what they love (certain books or stories). But being a horror fan of one of the greatest writers that I admire, I'd buy the bad stories simply because of who King is and what he represents to the horror genre.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    My dilemma. I recently moved and apparently the area I live in my collectible insurance won't cover flood damage. They won't give it to me because of the "risk." Nothing got damaged but it is about the future "maybes." I have amassed a nice collection, so if there is another hurricane, I would have to take everything with me just in case. Many King books aren't that valuable. You know, the many novels of high volume print runs like Cell, Lisey's Story, Insomnia, etc. Many firsts that don't hold weight, but take up space so to speak. Some of his newer novels, CD makes a great slipcase for them which raises their value, but most seem to not care when it comes to resell.

I have been kicking around the idea that attempting to become a completion-ist collector, financially and space wise, will be improbable for me personally. I have also been thinking since I have Insomnia S/L and the gift edition, that the other first edition isn't worth having around as the value is nil (as an example of many of King's books). But, there are some valuable normal trade editions like It, Firestarter, Shining, Carrie, etc that are worth obviously holding onto and collecting.

What would you do? Is there a cut off for normal trade hardbacks to not collect based on value down the road? Am I over thinking this and should hold onto everything even though many trade hardbacks are worth just 10.00 bucks? Is there a timeline that collectors stop collecting? Are there people out there that only collect lettered, S/L, and gift editions only, but own some first editions that end with It or Misery or a certain period? Any thoughts and hindsight would be great!

I do know some collectors collect only what they love (certain books or stories). But being a horror fan of one of the greatest writers that I admire, I'd buy the bad stories simply because of who King is and what he represents to the horror genre.
    I look at my growing collection and wonder what I got myself into.

I love and I have to have 1st edition 1st printing (Flatsigned by King) of all of Kings books. That is my "poor mans" collection, many of them have been with me since my teenage years.

I love my s/L books. getting them at sale price makes me think how I wish I was collecting as long as others on this site. Imagine (like many members here) buying Six Stories, The STand, etc... at issue price! Some here bought several copies!

I wish I would have stopped at these two categories. I made the mistake of collecting the doubleday years from CD and anniversary editions of PS publishing --- I could live without these budget draining collections. But I already have them....

I wishi I did not start collecting all the first appearances, but I got them too....

My point is, its your collection and your rules.... 1st editions 1st printings take up one entire Billy book shelf,

I DO NOT COLLECT for value based on what is going to happen down the road.... Look at Beanie Babies, Precious Moments, Bill Cosby collectables, you do not know what is going to happen. Collect what you love and be happy with what you got.... Make your own rules.....

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Buy flood insurance. When a hurricane comes that you have to leave for, take a box of the ones most important to you and put the ones you want to try to save in plastic and as high up as you can. That's what I do. I live about 5 minutes from Galveston Island and you just can't worry about taking a bunch of stuff when the monster storm is heading for you. The threat of another Carla, Alicia or Ike smashing thro doesn't stop me from collecting what I want. And believe it or not, and maybe it's heresy, but they are just books.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Lurker is correct. Buy flood insurance. The company that writes your collectible policy might not offer it, but it is available.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Lurker is correct. Buy flood insurance. The company that writes your collectible policy might not offer it, but it is available.
    Thanks guys. My insurance company does not have flood insurance, so I will have to shop around. As for what you are saying Brian, I do understand what you are saying about making my own rules. I'm just trying to figure out if huge run copies are worth having if I need to run for the hills. I do collect for the hobby and enjoy what I have, but I do try to think about down the road value. My younger years I collected baseball cards at the worst possible time. The ones with thousands of the same cards out there that today have zero value. Down that road, those cards are now a bonfire .
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

My Mood
    Confused

As for flood insurance, with the damage that my area took, I feel the rates will be astronomical.

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Thanks guys. My insurance company does not have flood insurance, so I will have to shop around. As for what you are saying Brian, I do understand what you are saying about making my own rules. I'm just trying to figure out if huge run copies are worth having if I need to run for the hills. I do collect for the hobby and enjoy what I have, but I do try to think about down the road value. My younger years I collected baseball cards at the worst possible time. The ones with thousands of the same cards out there that today have zero value. Down that road, those cards are now a bonfire .
    First off, I hope you never need to use said insurance but definitely good to have!
    I understand what you're saying here and I've thought about it as well. What I've done is when I get an S/L or a flatsigned book I no longer feel the need to keep the first trade edition(speaking on later published books, obviously not Carrie, The Shining etc. That would be just plain silly! lol) For example I recently bought a first edition flat signed Cell and gave my unsigned trade edition to a friend. But I'm not one that needs to have two or three of everything and it's a storage issue as well so that's my personal preference. As you stated there are so many of these later editions being published that firsts seem pretty easy to come by.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post

I look at my growing collection and wonder what I got myself into.

I love and I have to have 1st edition 1st printing (Flatsigned by King) of all of Kings books. That is my "poor mans" collection, many of them have been with me since my teenage years.

I love my s/L books. getting them at sale price makes me think how I wish I was collecting as long as others on this site. Imagine (like many members here) buying Six Stories, The STand, etc... at issue price! Some here bought several copies!

I wish I would have stopped at these two categories. I made the mistake of collecting the doubleday years from CD and anniversary editions of PS publishing --- I could live without these budget draining collections. But I already have them....

I wishi I did not start collecting all the first appearances, but I got them too....

My point is, its your collection and your rules.... 1st editions 1st printings take up one entire Billy book shelf,

I DO NOT COLLECT for value based on what is going to happen down the road.... Look at Beanie Babies, Precious Moments, Bill Cosby collectables, you do not know what is going to happen. Collect what you love and be happy with what you got.... Make your own rules.....
    Very good advice!

omit

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Flood insurance is a national program under FEMA. FloodSmart.gov
    Any agent should be able to get you coverage.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Dumb (and late) question : there was no SK desk calendar for 2016?
    Any for 2017?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Nope. 2015 was the last one.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Question in general. When a TPB and THC of a book is released at the same time; which one is considered the true 1st?
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Question in general. When a TPB and THC of a book is released at the same time; which one is considered the true 1st?
    The only instance where that occurred with King is Storm of the Century I think.

Otherwise, the HB is usually more desirable than the PB.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by skyofcrack View Post
    The only instance where that occurred with King is Storm of the Century I think.

Otherwise, the HB is usually more desirable than the PB.
    What about the Bachman books? did they come out at the same time?

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Stephen King Collecting Questions

Another one that comes to mind is The Bachman Books. There's also the U.K. editions which are released at the same time as a TP, although they're a limited release. To me the HC is the 'true 1st' even though the release date is the same.

Edit. With Storm, the TP would be the true first. The only HC was a BCE.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Possibly neither/both. When in doubt, don't split the baby, buy both (although I do not have the TPB of The Bachman Books, so what do I know )

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I also have a memory that Danse Macabre (MacDonald - UK) was published simultaneously in paperback, but I just checked the catalogue and it doesn't mention this, so I'm probably wrong.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

The 1st trade hardcover, if there is one, is preferred. There would no doubt be a lower number of hardcovers published. The trade paperback, if released at the same time, is also collectible although less so.

For instance, The Bachman Books in hardcover in reasonable shape would be hard to find for less than $100+ with anything approaching fine going for at least $150. A softcover version in fine condition can be found for $30.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Back cover on the Bachman Books 1st edition paperback "This cover was also used as the wrap-around cover for the proof" which leads me to assume that the paperback is the true 1st edition.

also this ad is in the back of the 1st edition paperback & not in the hardcover.

and this is the back cover on the Special Hardcover Collector's Edition. (note no barcode.)

thus fewer hardcovers were printed & there was a $10.00 price difference between the two books.

& 275,000 more paperbacks.

NEW QUESTION! Did the hardcover Bachman Books go into a 2nd edition or are there only 25,000 hardcovers?

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    NEW QUESTION! Did the hardcover Bachman Books go into a 2nd edition or are there only 25,000 hardcovers?
    I have a second printing hardcover Bachman book and I saw a 5th printing I believe for sale on ebay yesterday.

Thank You!

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    I have a second printing hardcover Bachman book and I saw a 5th printing I believe for sale on ebay yesterday.
    I knew of a 2nd and 3rd....didn't know there were more before the BCE. thanks!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 459 of 567 FirstFirst ... 359 409 449 457 458 459 460 461 469 509 559 ... LastLast