Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 455 of 567 FirstFirst ... 355 405 445 453 454 455 456 457 465 505 555 ... LastLast
Results 11,351 to 11,375 of 14171

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes indeed. I attended the Con myself and he was there with his wife Audrey Price.....If you remember, Michael painted (as did other artists) in front of the crowd....The "goody bags" we all got included art prints signed by various artiosts, so if you got a Whelan signed one I'm sure it is legit.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree with David. He is right. Congrats on the sigs!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Thanks for the information.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jon10g View Post
    Hi
    I have a set of prints which I received from Palavercon. Two of them are Michael Whelan DT prints and appear to be signed. Did he attend the Con and if so, are these likely to be genuine signatures?
    Thanks
    https://web.archive.org/web/20050407...alavercon.com/

https://web.archive.org/web/20050407....com/about.php

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    Nice one Lori - sometimes it's worth the stretch, if you really want that book.
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Congrats!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    Congrats Lori!!
    Thanks guys!!

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Thanks Mr Flagg for those links. Wish I could have gone to the Con. Just got the prints and a copy of Song of Susannah if I remember correctly.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Hi
    I have a set of prints which I received from Palavercon. Two of them are Michael Whelan DT prints and appear to be signed. Did he attend the Con and if so, are these likely to be genuine signatures?
    Thanks

What the heck is The Dark Tower the Really Abridged Version?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Hi
    Thanks

What the heck is The Dark Tower the Really Abridged Version?

Single sheet of paper.

The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed...
    Spoiler:
    wash rinse repeat

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    Thank you everyone for your thoughts and comments! I had both devils and angels on my side!
    After all of this I can officially conclude this saga. I made a counteroffer one last time just to see if he would try and see things my way. Surprisingly he did! I will soon be the proud owner(FINALLY)of a Frankenstein S/L and this gal is a HAPPY one
    Way to go, Lori!! Good for you!
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

There is a copy of The New Lieutenant's Rap for sale on eBay. In the listing the seller repeats the story we have all heard that King was so upset that some guests left their copies of TNLR on their tables that he locked the rest of the copies in his safe where they remain today.

My questions are: Do we know if this is true? If you repeat something often enough it becomes a fact to some collectors. Who is the source that first reported on King's anger? An employee at Tavern On The Green? Another guest? Has anyone ever seen in an interview where King mentions his anger/disappointment and subsequent locking up the remainder of the copies?

I just wonder sometimes if this stuff we read is true. Anyone know of any proof or documentation to this story?

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Why the hell wouldn't people take it with them??
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I just wonder sometimes if this stuff we read is true. Anyone know of any proof or documentation to this story?
    The Moderator of the SKMB stated in post #14632 dated Nov 13, 2014: "No. He understands when people do it if that's the reason but that's never the thought going into it. He wanted to give the people attending the party a treat. In addition to a copy of The New Lieutenant's Rap (which a lot of people left behind unopened BTW--I'll bet they're kicking themselves now!), we got a peace sign necklace and a copy of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon as that came out the same day as the party was held. And a great party/dinner at Tavern on the Green. ;-D

Same thing for the original versions of The Plant. They were meant to be Christmas card/gifts and were never meant to be distributed for sale."

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    As I understand it the guests were not only book people (writers, publishers, agents,etc.) but also from the entertainment sector as well as others. Lots of the guests may have had no idea what it was or its value to collectors.

And speaking of the guest list can anyone believe King didn't invite Bill Thompson to the damned party celebrating the publishing anniversary of Carrie?

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Huge congrats Lori. Very jealous! That's a holy grail of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    The Moderator of the SKMB stated in post #14632 dated Nov 13, 2014: "No. He understands when people do it if that's the reason but that's never the thought going into it. He wanted to give the people attending the party a treat. In addition to a copy of The New Lieutenant's Rap (which a lot of people left behind unopened BTW--I'll bet they're kicking themselves now!), we got a peace sign necklace and a copy of The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon as that came out the same day as the party was held. And a great party/dinner at Tavern on the Green. ;-D

Same thing for the original versions of The Plant. They were meant to be Christmas card/gifts and were never meant to be distributed for sale."
    So what was the question that the moderator was responding to? She mentions the left behind copies in sort of an aside comment. I don't think she is implying any anger or disappointment on King's part. Or am I misunderstanding the reason for her post?

Maybe the moderator was responding to a question of whether or not King minds if people sell the items he means as gifts. But I still don't see any evidence or mention that King was "so upset that he locked all remaining copies of TNLR in his office safe." It may be true but I've never heard it confirmed by anyone who would know.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I posted a question on SK.com in the discussion section for TNLR. Hopefully Ms. Mod will answer the question (although I don't believe Marsha was King's XA at the time). The message is of course moderated so It likely won't be approved until Tuesday or Wednesday.

My post:
    There is a long standing rumor that at the party" "Reportedly, approximately 28-42 copies were left on the table and thrown
    out by staff that night. None were recovered from trash. Stephen was so
    disgusted that drunk guests did this, that he took the remaining 380+
    copies and placed them in his office safe in Bangor, where they remain
    to this day."
    Is that true?

http://stephenking.com/library/limit...s_rap_the.html

Marsha has been King's secretary and assistant for quite a while. I met her at the Bag of Bones signing in 1998.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Marsha has been King's secretary and assistant for quite a while. I met her at the Bag of Bones signing in 1998.
    Good. Hopefully she will not only know the answer, but also answer the question.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm curious to see what she says about it.

Good. Hopefully she will not only know the answer, but also answer the question.
    She will probably just confirm that many guests left theirs behind and not comment on King's reaction or lack of.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It would seem reasonable to believe that even if some copies were tossed in the trash, King or some staff person would have retained all other copies (380?) that weren't given out.
    I find it a bit far fetched that King keeps the remaining copies in a safe. More likely he has them in a box in one of his rooms/storage areas that he keeps numerous valuable editions of his books.
    If Marsha denies outright the part about King being disgusted, we'll have to take her for her word.
    As you said, if King was disgusted, Marsha will likely not comment.

The math also seems sketchy. If 500 copies were printed, why bring them all to an event where there were likely far less guests.
    If 380 were retrieved, and ~40 were trashed, then only 80 people took their copy?

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Good rumor either way.

I think it's one of those apocryphal stories that's been told and re-told so many times that whatever the "real" truth is will never be known.

It's like SK's own comments about the Salem's Lot CP edition - first he loves it, then he hates it. Does he even know for sure?

Good question to ask.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As I understand it the guests were not only book people (writers, publishers, agents,etc.) but also from the entertainment sector as well as others. Lots of the guests may have had no idea what it was or its value to collectors.

And speaking of the guest list can anyone believe King didn't invite Bill Thompson to the damned party celebrating the publishing anniversary of Carrie?
    No matter the value, just grab it and think about it later !
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

No matter the value, just grab it and think about it later !

In 1999 "the internet", and high speed connections were just a dream for most people.

At a high end celebratory event held at The Tavern on The Green, guests would be seen as odd to go around "grabbing" things laid out on the tables.
    In NYC and the high end world of celebrity at the time, that would be tacky. No person who considered themselves to be important (and thus at The Tavern on The Green) for a VIP event would care, let alone have the foresight (or the sad admission they would need the money later) for a fledgling auction house.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 455 of 567 FirstFirst ... 355 405 445 453 454 455 456 457 465 505 555 ... LastLast