Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 567 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 143 543 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 14171

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post

All are 1st printing and look like the paperback was printed without a cover and bound into blue boards. Then the cover was put into a library protector and wrapped on the book.

I've never seen a library bound book done in this way before.

Any ideas? Anyone ever seen it like this before?
    I have a pocket books "Storm of the Century" hardback like them.

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Slightly bigger than the paperback just because the hardcover extends over the endges a bit.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post

All are 1st printing and look like the paperback was printed without a cover and bound into blue boards. Then the cover was put into a library protector and wrapped on the book.

I've never seen a library bound book done in this way before.

Any ideas? Anyone ever seen it like this before?
    I have a pocket books "Storm of the Century" hardback like them.
    Did you know that The Book of the Month Club issued a hardcover Storm of the Century? That may be what you have.

John

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

These look like the permabound volumes like my wife got for her library when she was a high school librarian.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default (HOW TO) 'Separate' items in your collection

Hi everyone,

I have a question : with all the books you guys have, how do you "separate" particular books from others?
    I mean... Do you put all the 1st eds aside from the others? All the signed ones together (and not with the unsigned ones), 1st signed?

I guess that S/L are easier to recognise as must have slipcase for most of them... but otherwise? How do you recognise a signed book from an unsigned?

Do you put some kind of post it on the cover, on the protective film?
    Do you do anything? (You may find by accident that something is signed while you forgot about it)

Could be interesting to know what are the "possibilities". It could help if you ever sell books...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have a question : with all the books you guys have, how do you "separate" particular books from others?
    I mean... Do you put all the 1st eds aside from the others? All the signed ones together (and not with the unsigned ones), 1st signed?

I guess that S/L are easier to recognise as must have slipcase for most of them... but otherwise? How do you recognise a signed book from an unsigned?

Do you put some kind of post it on the cover, on the protective film?
    Do you do anything? (You may find by accident that something is signed while you forgot about it)

Could be interesting to know what are the "possibilities". It could help if you ever sell books...

I can't speak for others but, I tend to keep them in the order of publication. The S/N and Limiteds are easy to identify and the signed first I just put a "S" sticker on the book cover. Otherwise they are normally fairly easy to identify. Especially for a collector (wink) lol

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have mine in chronological order, too - one full set. What I do is put the "highest" of the book with the main collection, and store the others separately. For example, a signed book trumps an unsigned, a first edition trumps 2nd which trumps a book club eddition, etc. That way I have the "best" ones displayed together. The ARCs/Proofs are simply chronological since I only have a couple duplicates.

The S/L are, of course, separate from those. After looking at how some of our other collectors dislpay their books, though, I'm rethinking the whole thing!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Great thread. I'm going to put it in the regular Collector's forum as it is more a question (as of now), than specific advise. It can be moved back.
    Thanks to herbertwest.

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My King S/Ls are separate from the rest of my books as I store them lying flat rather than standing. My DT books are stored in the same place as my King S/Ls but are standing. My other S/Ls are stored standing as they are in slipcases or are loose as published and not in traycases like my King S/Ls. (Insomnia's not really in a traycase, but I don't want to damage the slipcase.) I have other regular novels signed as well and they are shelved with my other signed books so they are kept together and safe.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Did you know that The Book of the Month Club issued a hardcover Storm of the Century? That may be what you have.

John
    No. It's the Pocket Books one. I have the Book-of-the-Month one as well.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

With over 400 books in my collection, I generally have them shelved in chronological order. However, because of the large size of some of the Limiteds, I do have some out-of-sequence ordering of my books.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

These are the ways they are filed in my bookshelf.

First Editions, chronologically
    The Dark Tower
    S/L US books
    S/L UK books
    And then others (about, magazines, etc)

And that’s it. I don’t make note if a book is signed or not. I know which ones they are (I think? lol)

I used to separate them by novel, bachman, DT, collections, novellas, etc. Now I just lump them all together.
    Geoff

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Alphabetical by author and title, genres seperated, nonfiction alphabetical by author within subject.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay. How do they differ?

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Okay. How do they differ?

John
    Pocket Books Hardcover

Book-of-the-Month Hardcover

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks!

John

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Which of those 2 is the better collectible?
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

Country
    Country Flag

Which of those 2 is the better collectible?
    Depends on how you look at it.

There are thousands of Book Club ones, but only 1 Pocket Books hardback. The Pocket Books hardback is not an "official" release though.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    With over 400 books in my collection, I generally have them shelved in chronological order. However, because of the large size of some of the Limiteds, I do have some out-of-sequence ordering of my books.

And how do you recognise signed items for instance?

I like the idea of small stickers with "S" on it... However, you have to be sure that the stickers wont stick to much... or maybe do you cover them then add the sticker?
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I have my 7 or so "top shelf" books that are the crown of my meager collection. No order necessary.

Those books are literally on the top shelf
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Mine are by size/width. Lots of scope for O.C.D here

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by gsvec View Post
    I have mine in chronological order, too - one full set. What I do is put the "highest" of the book with the main collection, and store the others separately.

Do you Gretchen?. I get lots of satisfaction from seeing multiple duplicate colectible books together on my shelves. It looks a lot more substantial.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the idea of small stickers with "S" on it... However, you have to be sure that the stickers wont stick to much... or maybe do you cover them then add the sticker?
    Excellent question. Assuming the books are stored with the spine facing outwards, how do Collector's differentiate between a signed and an unsigned book on their shelves?

Would love to hear.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

Excellent question. Assuming the books are stored with the spine facing outwards, how do Collector's differentiate between a signed and an unsigned book on their shelves?

Would love to hear.
    I had custom stickers made that say Autographed Copy. I place them on the Bordart cover, not on the DJ itself.

It kind of looks cool on my shelf to see the sticker.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have the following categories for my collection:

Slade (UK, US, Signed, ARCs, etc)

King (US, UK of the 1st edition/ trade editions)

King Dark Tower S/L (S/Ls and DT related S/Ls + the HC comics, Road to the Dark Tower, UK DTIV, AE w/ Sketch of DTVII, etc, etc)

Lovecraft/Cthulhu (the Arkham Cthulhu collections, Centipede Press' Artbook and soon their Lovecraft collection)

Other S/L (exactly what you'd think, although I'm gearing this category more towards lettered editions now - trying to get at least on lettered from each of my favourite presses)

Leatherbound (Easton Press, Franklin Library, custom bound books)

Other (have some Freemasons stuff, the Hannibal series, and misc)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 567 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 143 543 ... LastLast