Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 418 of 567 FirstFirst ... 318 368 408 416 417 418 419 420 428 468 518 ... LastLast
Results 10,426 to 10,450 of 14171

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I have an uncorrected proof of The Witches of Eastwick by John Updike in a traycase that looks like a hardcover book. It is so well done that I believe it came from the publisher although I can't be certain.

Personally I like the idea.

"One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

That's really nice (even though I'm not a fan of all the red)!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I had that already set up.

The book would present better in front of another color for sure!
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Gunslinger Apprentice neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity is a splendid one to behold neo_trinity's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Did anyone here (except Gerald) ever consider having slipcases or traycases made for their proofs? I'm not a big fan of aftermarket cases and don't think they are necessary to protect my hardcover books. But proofs are a bit more vulnerable, so...

My US Dead Zone proof came with a custom traycase but I don't think I've seen any others, except Gerald's. Thoughts?
    Hi,

I have personally never had a slipcase made for a proof because as Bob and Paul mentioned, there is always a possibility of damaging a corner with the removal. At the very least, there will be rubbing on the base of the proof each time you remove and insert. That will damage it over time, if you continually are inspecting it. Occasionally I will purchase a proof that the previous owner will have a slipcase for, but it is quickly removed and a traycase will be made for it, if warranted. I think that slipcases for books can do more harm than good, especially on something so tight fitting as "Firestarter" Limited.

Traycases are much safer and protect it better, but as you say they are expensive and if you were to do it for every proof, some cases would cost more than the actual proof itself. If you are to get one made, start with the most expensive item first, or at least the one that has already started to have conservation issues, so that you can protect it as soon as possible.

Gerald

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Gerald - my thoughts exactly. I would probably only give the traycase treatment to the few proofs I own that are scarce, like the UK Dead Zone proof.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Why don't you like the paperback covers on your proofs?
    Just personal preference. I like to have the covers (or wrappers) touching the text block as intended. The plastic cover has some bulk so that the wrappers are stored sort of splayed open from the text block (if that makes sense). Also, in removing the dreaded things, I have to open the wrappers far more than I like to get it off. I assume to put one on you would have to open the wrappers to a similar degree. I am always concerned about tearing something when I remove one.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Just personal preference. I like to have the covers (or wrappers) touching the text block as intended. The plastic cover has some bulk so that the wrappers are stored sort of splayed open from the text block (if that makes sense). Also, in removing the dreaded things, I have to open the wrappers far more than I like to get it off. I assume to put one on you would have to open the wrappers to a similar degree. I am always concerned about tearing something when I remove one.
    Okay, I think I misunderstood. It sounds like you're referring to the plastic cover wrappers that go around the covers of the book. I thought you meant you don't like to put proofs into plastic bags.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I don't collect proofs, but the ones I have left, all have slipcases or traycases.
    The best aftermarket one was made by Micheal Alpert for the set of "The Plant".
    It must be "aftermarket" because they were released at different years.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I think I misunderstood. It sounds like you're referring to the plastic cover wrappers that go around the covers of the book. I thought you meant you don't like to put proofs into plastic bags.
    Correct. You asked why I didn't like the paperback covers on proofs. I just stick mine in plastic bags and tape them shut.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep I misunderstood. Makes sense now.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't really collect proof's, but I do have one of the "Galley Proofs" of "Bag of Bones". There are somewhere between 20 - 50 of these (it's been discussed before here and opinions vary) and it came with a slipcase that I was told was issued with the original proof. As you all have stated, it bears a 1/8" crease in one corner of the paper cover from sliding in and out before I purchased it. FWIW I would agree that a tray case is the way to go though expensive. At one point, I decided I would collect "proofs" and I think I got to about 12-15 of them and realized it just wasn't for me and sold them off to others. Too rare, expensive and, as you have detailed, hard to protect and preserve for my taste.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Bill, your copy of the galley proof of Bag of Bones is the only one I've heard of that came with a slipcase. I have my copy in an archival plastic bag.

John

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Bill, your copy of the galley proof of Bag of Bones is the only one I've heard of that came with a slipcase. I have my copy in an archival plastic bag.

John
    Really? IDK the definitive story on that book. I know it was discussed some time ago, but I don't think a consensus was ever arrived at as I recall (though my memory does suck!! LOL). What I do know for sure is that I purchased it from, Hutch and I consider him as much an authority as anyone, no disrespect intended to anyone here. As I recall, he said there were only 20 produced and that they were slipcased. Again, that's trusting my memory and it was quite some time ago. It was one of my first, King purchases.

I would certainly feel much better if he were around to confirm/deny/clarify. I know you are the "Proof Man", but "Hutch" actually had it in his possession prior to sale maybe there is something I am missing or that he is aware of that I am forgetting. The case is non-descript so it may very well be an after market product. In truth, I would just as soon trade it for something else as I think it is the only proof I still have in my collection. I just want to get fair market value as, I can check, but I believe I paid $325-350 for it many years ago. I really just stuck it on the shelf and only had it out 2 or 3 times.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have one of these without a slipcase. I'm pretty sure that one you have is an aftermarket case.

Are you talking about that second draft manuscript state of Bag of Bones with the black tape spine? If so, I have one in a slipcase that was aftermarket and made by Tony at Camelot Books. He made and sold them to a few of us collectors back in the day. That might be what you have, Bill. I think those manuscript states were done for internal distribution only and therefore would be very unlikely to have been issued with a slipcase.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Are you talking about that second draft manuscript state of Bag of Bones with the black tape spine? If so, I have one in a slipcase that was aftermarket and made by Tony at Camelot Books. He made and sold them to a few of us collectors back in the day. That might be what you have, Bill. I think those manuscript states were done for internal distribution only and therefore would be very unlikely to have been issued with a slipcase.

You're probably right, Bob. I don't want to drag it off the shelf and research it anymore for now and I'm sorry if I distracted the conversation with the edition in retrospect. It will likely sit on my shelf until they sprinkle my ashes over Disney World and become my kids headache!! LOL LOL LOL Perhaps, I'll email, Hutch and get the straight "poop" directly from him rather than trust my memory.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I too have a slip cases version.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pasiuk57 View Post
    I too have a slip cases version.
    After market, yes? That seems to be the consensus.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

What do you guys think remarques do to the value of signed 1st editions? Increase it by the cost of the remarque, or have no impact whatsoever?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    What do you guys think remarques do to the value of signed 1st editions? Increase it by the cost of the remarque, or have no impact whatsoever?
    Very wide open question. A Dameron remarque in a signed DTIII could add considerable value depending on the image (pencil, color, pained etc.).
    A Chadbourne remarque in the same book would like detract from the value.

Demon of the Prim wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr is just really nice wolfehr's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is just my personal opinion...
    • Remarque from artist who did the book, and the artist doesn't do many remarques (e.g., Whelan) = increases value more than cost of the remarque
    • Remarque from artist who did the book, and the artist does many remarques (e.g., Chadbourne) = increases value by the cost of the remarque
    • Remarque from artist who did not do the book, but the remarque is amazing = increases value less than the cost of the remarque.
    • Remarque from artist who did not do the book, and the remarque is unattractive = decrease value of book
    • Remarque from artist who did not do the book, and the remarque neither amazing no unattractive = no change
    Wanted:
    Michael Whelan & DT Original Art

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Depends who did it, what book, and what scene it depicts.

I'd never pay extra for one but I'm not going to complain about the few I got for free.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Very wide open question. A Dameron remarque in a signed DTIII could add considerable value depending on the image (pencil, color, pained etc.).
    Yeah, I realized it was open-ended as soon as I sent it! For some of my signed books, my two favorite copies also include Mark Stutzman remarques. So that's what led to my question.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfehr View Post
    This is just my personal opinion...
    • Remarque from artist who did the book, and the artist doesn't do many remarques (e.g., Whelan) = increases value more than cost of the remarque
    • Remarque from artist who did the book, and the artist does many remarques (e.g., Chadbourne) = increases value by the cost of the remarque
    • Remarque from artist who did not do the book, but the remarque is amazing = increases value less than the cost of the remarque.
    • Remarque from artist who did not do the book, and the remarque is unattractive = decrease value of book
    • Remarque from artist who did not do the book, and the remarque neither amazing no unattractive = no change

Absolutely correct, RF but a Chadbourne illustration in say, SOD I increases value. Wolfer, statement is pretty fair IMHO However, Brian that is one big ass can of worms you opened with that question!!! LOL I guess with the exception of one artist drawing in another artists book, it really boils down to the individual purchaser more than anything else.

Edit: Sorry WDIL didn't mean to exclude you. You're right, the scene also factors into the value. Especially as it relates to availability of the particular scene.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Is Mark Geyer still doing remarques? I emailed him several days ago about possibly sending him a book, but haven't heard anything back.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 418 of 567 FirstFirst ... 318 368 408 416 417 418 419 420 428 468 518 ... LastLast