Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 409 of 567 FirstFirst ... 309 359 399 407 408 409 410 411 419 459 509 ... LastLast
Results 10,201 to 10,225 of 14171

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Citizen of Gilead jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske is just really nice jcmanske's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AstroDad View Post
    Anyone familiar with RW Books? We've been talking through Ebay and began discussing a possible layaway type of transaction. He says he was one of the primary sellers of King books back in the day so I thought maybe someone here was familiar with him? Looks like hi is currently based out of Virginia.
    I have purchased a few things from him on eBay and all transactions have been smooth and easy. He is the one from whom I purchased the Review Copy of IT which I posted about under Proofs a few days ago. I haven't purchased any "flatsigned" books from him, but what I have purchased from him has been as described. He has been listing on eBay for some time. Hope that helps!

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    I wonder if the RW stands for Robert Weinberg...?
    Robert Weinstein is my guess based on the fact The Plant he is selling is inscribed as such.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, RC65 nailed it. RWBooks was just his Ebay ID and I assumed it was also a business name. He clarified for me who he is. I was guessing he was based in VA on an old blog entry I found that referenced a store called RW Books.

" When I retired almost 8 years ago I had 4 bookstores in So. Calif. My main store was in Anaheim where I had 1/2 million books in 20,000 sq. foot. with 26 employees. We specialized in horror and King. My Anaheim store the Book Baron was there 28 years and in 2003 USA Today named us the #1 bookstore in American in their 10 best list.Since retiring I have been selling on ebay. About 6 months ago I purchased a massive collection and now have a warehouse with office space and am by appointment only.Since we are going with $800.00 I will pay shipping and insurance. The RW is my initials Robert Weinstein.
    Best
    Bob"

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember Book Baron.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Not to split hairs...but I think you meant me...not RC65.

I too recall Book Baron...with stores in Anaheim and in Fullerton.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Citizen of Gilead jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47's Avatar

Very cool....brings back memories of my trip to Anaheim many years ago, visited Roy Robbins and stopped by Book Baron while there.
    ~Jonathan

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. The Book Baron. I never knew who owned it but I have been there a couple of times (in Anaheim) and have bought a few very choice items from them over the years.

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Not to split hairs...but I think you meant me...not RC65.

I too recall Book Baron...with stores in Anaheim and in Fullerton.
    you are correct, sorry. I didn't even notice you guys said two different names

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

"R W Books was founded in 1993, and is located at 214 E Queen St in Strasburg. It employs 3 employees and is generating approximately $120,000.00 in annual revenue."

The owner's name is Raymond Willis.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Last night I was in bed and racking my brain on how to come up with some cash to buy a VERY RARE collectible. My wife watching in amusement as I played the numbers game every which way to get this rare collectible... I know of only two in existence!!! After about an hour of chat she asked me a question that I really, to be honest, had no answer for. She said, "It is gonna happen honey, your boyfriend (she means Sai King, lol) is not going to live forever. What happens when he passes? Will collecting die? Will things go up or down in value?" If your prepared to borrow THOUSANDS (and she said this with a very specific tone) and get your book... what happens in a couple years if it is not worth half as much?"

I had no answer and thought about it as I tried to fall asleep. I think King stuff will always be worth money... what I began to consider was the buying pool. In todays society it seems less and less people actually read a book. It is all tech tech, movies, shows and games... but books? Not as much. So, I wonder and thought I would pose my wife's question to my friends here... what are your thoughts?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Last night I was in bed and racking my brain on how to come up with some cash to buy a VERY RARE collectible. My wife watching in amusement as I played the numbers game every which way to get this rare collectible... I know of only two in existence!!! After about an hour of chat she asked me a question that I really, to be honest, had no answer for. She said, "It is gonna happen honey, your boyfriend (she means Sai King, lol) is not going to live forever. What happens when he passes? Will collecting die? Will things go up or down in value?" If your prepared to borrow THOUSANDS (and she said this with a very specific tone) and get your book... what happens in a couple years if it is not worth half as much?"

I had no answer and thought about it as I tried to fall asleep. I think King stuff will always be worth money... what I began to consider was the buying pool. In todays society it seems less and less people actually read a book. It is all tech tech, movies, shows and games... but books? Not as much. So, I wonder and thought I would pose my wife's question to my friends here... what are your thoughts?
    When the economy went to crap, it still is there with the job market and the value of the dollar, everything took a major hit. Antiques, antique furniture, crystal, etc. The one thing that didn't lose value but stayed the same in value were books and art. Not skyrocket price increases or bottoming out pricing, but their value hovered at what they were worth. I think the exact way and wonder the same thing about death in general. Artist's artwork increases with their death, and writers are artists. It only makes sense that when King retires his art will either stay steady or grow in value when he retires or worse, based on what I see today.
    Personally I am the only person I know who collects books but I know so many who read. With the trend of the digital age that's where books are going. I think there will always be paper books, but not as many made in the future. Would that make books more valuable when they stop making them? I collect because King is known throughout the world and is one of the greatest horror writers ever. I cannot see, or hope, that in the future his works will still hold value. But I will say that when books are thousands of dollars, the market for those items is greatly reduced as not many can afford such luxuries. I own no lettered editions and I'd rather buy 3-4 S/L's then a lettered. Though at this time I cannot afford to do that lol.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have never collected worrying about what the future values of the items will be. I collect because I enjoy it. If spending thousands on a rare item makes you happy, then I would go for it, regardless of what the future holds.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Kris, these are valid questions but none of us know the answers to them. Personally I don't look at my book collection as an investment that I expect (or hope) to increase in value. I collect for pure enjoyment. In the back of my head I know that my collection has value and, one day, it will be sold (either by me or my heirs) but I don't personally agonize over whether the sale will result in more or less than I paid. For me it is a hobby and an enjoyable pastime; not an investment that I expect to fund my retirement.

I try not to use money needed elsewhere to fuel my collecting habits. Investment funds, retirement funds, etc. are something I have always tried to take care of first and then use anything leftover for pleasure. I hope this doesn't sound too preachy; just letting some of my prejudices and thoughts out.

Someone once wrote that if you are looking for an investment don't go too heavily into books. Mutual funds are safer and more likely to produce a positive return. Personally I think oil and gas leases offer great potential now if one can afford to wait for the price of oil to go back up.

The editor of Fine Books and Collectibles magazine once said in an editorial: If you collect what is irresistible to you then it will one day be irresistible to others (or something like that).

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks guys... I collect with the thought of not selling for decades of course but my wife is NOT a collector and to be honest... only supports it because she see's a perceived "value". If she didn't... I probably would not have the collection I do now. Every once in a while I sell something... then she see's dollars and I calm her for months and months. My wife has owned a company since she was 18 years old.. NO SHIT. Always been a owner and dollars are what she see's day in an day out. No emotion in selling her wares.. where in my world.. there is great passion and emotion. Thanks for the responses guys. I hope to hear more on the subject from other fellow members
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm with both Bob and Eric. I collect solely for enjoyment and personal satisfaction. Future value is, to me, irrelevant. Of course, being human (no matter what my wife says!), I like seeing certain items go up in value.

John

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

My biggest question recently isn't what happens to the value of my collectibles if King dies -- it's what happens to them if I do! Will they be a burden to someone else who doesn't understand their value but will have to become educated to figure out what to do with them. Which has radically changed my attitude toward collecting. I'm slowly divesting myself of most things I once considered indispensable.

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I'm slowly divesting myself of most things I once considered indispensable.
    Please send me a list!!

Country
    Country Flag

My biggest question recently isn't what happens to the value of my collectibles if King dies -- it's what happens to them if I do! Will they be a burden to someone else who doesn't understand their value but will have to become educated to figure out what to do with them. Which has radically changed my attitude toward collecting. I'm slowly divesting myself of most things I once considered indispensable.
    My wife knows to contact Bett's Books. That is all she needs to do... whether it is David or a new owner... the fact remains the same. Bett's can help
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I'm with the others that future value has no real bearing on my buying choices...however...

1). You mention that you will have to borrow money(". . . borrow THOUSANDS . . .") -- everyone needs to make their own financial priorities, but I can't conceive of borrowing money to buy a book. Either I have the slush funds for pleasure and hobbies or I don't; perhaps you need to look at selling some other King book(s) or ?? to fund the purchase.

2). As Carlos mentions above, there are more prudent places to put money if you're looking for an investment return (or, minimally, stability) -- especially given the diminishing reading rates in our country and the incursion (though one that has apparently leveled off, if recent reports are to believed) of e-books. Book collecting has always been a niche hobby, but certainly never more so than today. To that point, collectibles are never a good bet as one never knows if the proverbial bottom will fall out...ask those hobbyists who loaded up on Beanie Babies, baseball cards, Thomas Kinkade paintings, and Hummels how their "investment" is doing. It would seem like books would never follow suit, but I'm guessing the collectors of these now essentially-valueless items believed the same thing about their collectible.

3). allasorte writes, "The one thing that didn't lose value but stayed the same in value were books and art. Not skyrocket price increases or bottoming out pricing, but their value hovered at what they were worth. I think the exact way and wonder the same thing about death in general. Artist's artwork increases with their death, and writers are artists. It only makes sense that when King retires his art will either stay steady or grow in value when he retires or worse, based on what I see today." I would suggest this is not accurate. When the economy hit the skids (and it's only partially recovered, and we'll have to see what happens next), books and art both took a hit. I can't speak to Stephen King in particular (though I have seen some general weakness, but, yes, less than other popular-fiction authors), but everything from small-press books to American literary first-editions (a long safe harbor against economic downturns) to gallery art took a hit as well, generally speaking. Nothing is immune to economic forces. As far as death increasing value, if the diminishing values of many late authors I've collected over the years has taught me anything, it's that American popular culture has a very short memory...if the artist is not around to create fresh material and visibly promote his body of work, his presence and popularity often fades from the scene -- history is littered with authors who were immensely popular in their age who are no longer read or recognized by a modern generation. Even authors who were popular and collected within the last decade or so may be relegated to this dustbin of literary history. Do I think Stephen King will be an exception (as exceptions do exist, though they are few and far between)? Perhaps -- maybe even probably. But were I looking for an investment, I wouldn't gamble borrowed money on this possibility.

Sorry to be the wet blanket...just thought I'd throw up an alternate perspective. Don't get me wrong, I love collecting books as much as anyone here, but future worth is never a real consideration...it's a nice bonus when it happens, but value can have such temporal fragility that it can't be a priority. If it were, I'd have to limit my buying to Gutenberg Bibles as virtually anything else is subject to the forces of the economy and the changing whims and tastes of popular culture.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm with the others that future value has no real bearing on my buying choices...however...

1). You mention that you will have to borrow money(". . . borrow THOUSANDS . . .") -- everyone needs to make their own financial priorities, but I can't conceive of borrowing money to buy a book. Either I have the slush funds for pleasure and hobbies or I don't; perhaps you need to look at selling some other King book(s) or ?? to fund the purchase.

2). As Carlos mentions above, there are more prudent places to put money if you're looking for an investment return (or, minimally, stability) -- especially given the diminishing reading rates in our country and the incursion (though one that has apparently leveled off, if recent reports are to believed) of e-books. Book collecting has always been a niche hobby, but certainly never more so than today. To that point, collectibles are never a good bet as one never knows if the proverbial bottom will fall out...ask those hobbyists who loaded up on Beanie Babies, baseball cards, Thomas Kinkade paintings, and Hummels how their "investment" is doing. It would seem like books would never follow suit, but I'm guessing the collectors of these now essentially-valueless items believed the same thing about their collectible.

3). allasorte writes, "The one thing that didn't lose value but stayed the same in value were books and art. Not skyrocket price increases or bottoming out pricing, but their value hovered at what they were worth. I think the exact way and wonder the same thing about death in general. Artist's artwork increases with their death, and writers are artists. It only makes sense that when King retires his art will either stay steady or grow in value when he retires or worse, based on what I see today." I would suggest this is not accurate. When the economy hit the skids (and it's only partially recovered, and we'll have to see what happens next), books and art both took a hit. I can't speak to Stephen King in particular (though I have seen some general weakness, but, yes, less than other popular-fiction authors), but everything from small-press books to American literary first-editions (a long safe harbor against economic downturns) to gallery art took a hit as well, generally speaking. Nothing is immune to economic forces. As far as death increasing value, if the diminishing values of many late authors I've collected over the years has taught me anything, it's that American popular culture has a very short memory...if the artist is not around to create fresh material and visibly promote his body of work, his presence and popularity often fades from the scene -- history is littered with authors who were immensely popular in their age who are no longer read or recognized by a modern generation. Even authors who were popular and collected within the last decade or so may be relegated to this dustbin of literary history. Do I think Stephen King will be an exception (as exceptions do exist, though they are few and far between)? Perhaps -- maybe even probably. But were I looking for an investment, I wouldn't gamble borrowed money on this possibility.

Sorry to be the wet blanket...just thought I'd throw up an alternate perspective. Don't get me wrong, I love collecting books as much as anyone here, but future worth is never a real consideration...it's a nice bonus when it happens, but value can have such temporal fragility that it can't be a priority. If it were, I'd have to limit my buying to Gutenberg Bibles as virtually anything else is subject to the forces of the economy and the changing whims and tastes of popular culture.
    Great read!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I'm slowly divesting myself of most things I once considered indispensable.
    Please send me a list!!
    No kidding. Me too! After Bob has been through it though.

Regarding collecting as an investment, that's not really in my mind when I buy books. I buy because I enjoy the books, reading them and of course collecting. If the value increases, then sure that's a nice bonus, but it's not the reason I collect.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

3). allasorte writes, Artist's artwork increases with their death, and writers are artists. It only makes sense that when King retires his art will either stay steady or grow in value when he retires or worse, based on what I see today." I would suggest this is not accurate. When the economy hit the skids (and it's only partially recovered, and we'll have to see what happens next), books and art both took a hit. I can't speak to Stephen King in particular (though I have seen some general weakness, but, yes, less than other popular-fiction authors), but everything from small-press books to American literary first-editions (a long safe harbor against economic downturns) to gallery art took a hit as well, generally speaking. Nothing is immune to economic forces. As far as death increasing value, if the diminishing values of many late authors I've collected over the years has taught me anything, it's that American popular culture has a very short memory...if the artist is not around to create fresh material and visibly promote his body of work, his presence and popularity often fades from the scene -- history is littered with authors who were immensely popular in their age who are no longer read or recognized by a modern generation. Even authors who were popular and collected within the last decade or so may be relegated to this dustbin of literary history. Do I think Stephen King will be an exception (as exceptions do exist, though they are few and far between)? Perhaps -- maybe even probably. But were I looking for an investment, I wouldn't gamble borrowed money on this possibility.

Agreed. Pop Culture is a funny thing. I collect King because he scared me to death when i was young! and i will always remember him for this. Definately not for investment purposes. A few books appeared to increase in value, but many have stayed the same for years...

top 14 earners (after they died). 3 Authors. Ask any 20 year old and i bet they don't even know half this list!! I believe that kids under 20 know Stephen King because of the Movies (Mostly IT) and not his books. We had a poll online, and i think the average age of the members here is over 45. I think in 15 years there will be a glut of King Book limiteds for sale (by our heirs). King collectors are not getting any younger!!!

14 Bruce Lee
    13 Jimi Hendrix
    12 Stieg Larsson
    11 Steve McQueen
    10 Theoror Geisel (DR Seuss!)
    9 Bettie Page ???
    8 Albert Einsein
    7 John Lennon
    6 Marilyn Monroe
    5 Bob Marley
    4 Elizabeth Taylor
    3 Charles Schultz
    2 Elvis
    1 Michael Jackson

I knew most of them, but i did not know about their work. I never read Larson (liked the movie though). Maybe read Seuss when i was little, everyone my age loved the Peanuts!

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks guys... I collect with the thought of not selling for decades of course but my wife is NOT a collector and to be honest... only supports it because she see's a perceived "value". If she didn't... I probably would not have the collection I do now. Every once in a while I sell something... then she see's dollars and I calm her for months and months. My wife has owned a company since she was 18 years old.. NO SHIT. Always been a owner and dollars are what she see's day in an day out. No emotion in selling her wares.. where in my world.. there is great passion and emotion. Thanks for the responses guys. I hope to hear more on the subject from other fellow members
    I tend to agree with Bob on collecting and investing, I never have bought a King item looking for a return, I'll be honest though, considering what some items have cost, I hope
    they at least hold their value!
    Roseannebarr brings up the real question, is King a phenomenon of the baby boom generation? How will his pop culture read in fifty years? For instance, Pearl Buck was one of the largest selling authors
    in the 30's and won a Pulitzer for literature, is she even slightly collectible or even read, other than some literary classes today? I tend to believe that good novels will transcend time,
    Stoker, Dickens, Melville etc...and many of Kings will make the cut, as well as still be collectible. But, I wouldn't keep 20 copies of signed Rose Madder for the future!

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
    I tend to agree with Bob on collecting and investing, I never have bought a King item looking for a return, I'll be honest though, considering what some items have cost, I hope
    they at least hold their value!
    Roseannebarr brings up the real question, is King a phenomenon of the baby boom generation? How will his pop culture read in fifty years? For instance, Pearl Buck was one of the largest selling authors
    in the 30's and won a Pulitzer for literature, is she even slightly collectible or even read, other than some literary classes today? I tend to believe that good novels will transcend time,
    Stoker, Dickens, Melville etc...and many of Kings will make the cut, as well as still be collectible. But, I wouldn't keep 20 copies of signed Rose Madder for the future!
    Never heard of Pearl Buck. i will have to wikepedia her. Being in the book business and all, i bet you have a long list of names of forgotten authors. SK mentions many of his favorite authors from his youth, but i have not gone back to try and read very many of them. I do look at current authors he recommends. I would never have found michael connelly without a nod from King!

Country
    Country Flag

I buy on PASSION... yes. But I am one that always tries to make the right decision money wise. Borrowing money is not a good choice when it comes to books UNLESS it is short term and there is no interest or fees incurred. I have used a lot of our families money to buy books/art and with a wife who allows to happen I DO CARE that they are worth something in decades when I go to sell them... if I can part with them of course. If I did not care about this than I might as well go to the casino and throw all my money each pay on red or black.. no? Either way.. this item is now being released from my clutches as I have crunched the numbers and it will cost me far too much with the dollar difference and the cost of borrowing... I am saddened but it is what it is. It will be hitting the market tomorrow. Good luck to all...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

+ Reply to Thread
Page 409 of 567 FirstFirst ... 309 359 399 407 408 409 410 411 419 459 509 ... LastLast