Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 567 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 140 540 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 14174

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

I couldn't believe how quickly these went up in price. I got my girl the Collectors Edition and the standard edition for Christmas. She will read the regular one and put the Collector's Edition away. I thought the CE was wonderful and I'm not even a HarryPotterHead !
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    The collector's edition is so cool looking. I would love to get my hands on a copy. jcf817 if you're willing to pay cover price, I would suggestion amazon. good luck.
    Amazon only has the "used and new" copies available, starting at $290! I read somewhere there were 100,000 copies of the Collector's Edition printed. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw...&sprefix=beedl

I'm lucky enough that I DIDN'T cancel my order and got it via UPS on December 4 in a large box that read "Attention Muggles: Do not open or deliver before 4 December". I opened mine, of course, as soon as I got it and am very pleased with it. I'm keeping it in the original shipping carton. I also ordered the trade edition and got it the same time. I just received my copy of the UK trade and was a bit disappointed. It's quite a bit smaller in size than the US trade, and the page layouts aren't close to being as nice as those of the US edition.

John

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I had decided not to get one but as the publication date neared I relented and bought one. I gave it to my daughter for Christmas. She seemed to like it quite a lot.

I wasn't all that impressed with it but since the profits went to charity I really can't complain much. To me it seemed overly packaged. Small book with a BIG case. It seemed like everything was molded and thrown together. I looked at it for about one minute and had seen enough. My daughter liked it though (or maybe she just didn't want to hurt my feelings).

Gunslinger Apprentice bast_imret is on a distinguished road bast_imret's Avatar

Yea, I just didn't feel that what they were offering was worth the $100 price tag. The breaking point for me was that the CE was in standard type font. I really felt that if they were going to go so far in making the exterior of the book look like the original, why not the inside? I would have bought in a heartbeat if they had replicated her handwriting throughout.

Along the Path of the Beam pookie is on a distinguished road pookie's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Received both the collector's edition and the individual book from my girl for Christmas. Am very thrilled with the collector's edition and am glad she gave me the stand alone book just to read so I'm not inclined to ruin the one in the collector's edition. My girl...she's very cool.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

That $300 won't hold up....Mayb it will sell for $125-$150, but if there are 100K copies, there's no kind of real limitation...granted, a lot will be gifts that won't be treated very well, but there won't be any shortage of them on the market in 2-3 months...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jcf817 View Post

Thanks for the offer, Mike

As I said in my original post, there's just no way for me to be able to afford one on the secondary market. I guess I'll just resign myself to the idea that I won't have this one in my collection, although I'm way bummed out about it.

If I should change my mind, I could probably pick it up from you. :-)
    Welcome to the board. Your request for someone to assist you in obtaining this book below market value is going to be difficult. I have seen many a generous collector help someone on pricing-once they "get to know them".
    Rarely do I see anyone (and who could blame them?) sell something right upon publication at 1/3 or 1/2 market value.
    Hopefully your original order arrives having been only delayed. If it's in transit Amazon can not find it, nor can they rescind it.
    Good luck, and once again, welcome to the Collector's area.

Gunslinger Apprentice The Cosmic Geek is on a distinguished road

That collector's edition is nice, but I couldn't afford it, so I bought the regular book from Target. Still haven't read it yet since I am working my way though the Dark Tower series.

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    That $300 won't hold up....Mayb it will sell for $125-$150, but if there are 100K copies, there's no kind of real limitation...granted, a lot will be gifts that won't be treated very well, but there won't be any shortage of them on the market in 2-3 months...
    I'm not sure I agree with this. Given the millions and millions of Harry Potter Fans - 100,000 is not really that many in relation to the numbers of fans and the generations of fans to come.

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Citizen of Gilead willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by turtlex View Post
    I'm not sure I agree with this. Given the millions and millions of Harry Potter Fans - 100,000 is not really that many in relation to the numbers of fans and the generations of fans to come.
    I agree with you turtlex.

Bought one for my wife as a Christmas present, and my daughter & daughter-in-law were disappointed they did not receive a copy.
    There will be a lot of people looking for this, I would be more surprised if a sealed box copy didn't increase a bit more in price.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Meh...not signed...and the vast majority of HP (or King) fans aren't 'collectors' in the sense that people here are...there's nothing limited about it, except in the perception that was sold out right before Christmas, and perception is what marketing is all about...it's a Cabbage Patch Doll in a binding.

With the holidays over, in two weeks most of those fans will forget they ever wanted it, and will be happy with a trade edition.

And...because it's not signed, I wouldn't be surprised if in a few weeks Amazon happens to release a bunch more.

Citizen of Gilead willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Meh...not signed...and the vast majority of HP (or King) fans aren't 'collectors' in the sense that people here are...there's nothing limited about it, except in the perception that was sold out right before Christmas, and perception is what marketing is all about...it's a Cabbage Patch Doll in a binding.

With the holidays over, in two weeks most of those fans will forget they ever wanted it, and will be happy with a trade edition.

And...because it's not signed, I wouldn't be surprised if in a few weeks Amazon happens to release a bunch more.
    Ahh...Flavor of the month.

Could be...

My Mood
    Gay

Cabbage Patch Doll in a binding

I don't agree, but this is a great analogy!

Actually, Amazon and JKR have said there are 100,000 and 100,000 only.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not an HP fan, so I skipped this whole thing. Good luck in obtaining a copy, Joel. I hope you find one.

Rahfa, that line was hilarious.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

I think if you're patient $150 will be a real price, especially if they do stick at 100K only....

But, whatever you do, do NOT buy now...granted, it might go higher and $300 will turn out to be a bargain (which I obviously doubt), but really this is the peak of interest and the worst possible time to buy on the secondary market.

Along the Path of the Beam jcf817 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Fair enough, folks...thanks for all the replies.

I've been around these boards it seems like forever...been collecting King for 10 years and follow all this stuff very closely.

I ordered the book from Amazon.co.uk....they can't track their order to me, so they're refunding my money. It's possible I could get my money back AND end up getting the book it seems. We shall see. I think I've even convinced myself that I didn't really need to spend the $86 on the book.

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

300$?!
    does the book come with anything worth 300$ I mean cmon rowling is already one of the richest women in europe, not like she needs the cash!
    alright (incredulousness swallowed) what makes worth it 300$?
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

all the money is going to a children's charity. Rowling isn't seeing a penny.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

shrewd and knavish sprite flaggwalkstheline will become famous soon enough flaggwalkstheline's Avatar

My Mood
    Paranoid
    Country
    Country Flag

oh
    ok boy do I feel like an asshole then
    if the worlds gonna end then let's get it over with, i got shit to do

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by jcf817 View Post
    Fair enough, folks...thanks for all the replies.

I've been around these boards it seems like forever...been collecting King for 10 years and follow all this stuff very closely.

I ordered the book from Amazon.co.uk....they can't track their order to me, so they're refunding my money. It's possible I could get my money back AND end up getting the book it seems. We shall see. I think I've even convinced myself that I didn't really need to spend the $86 on the book.
    You know this stinks. I mean, you want the book not the refund. Sorry. Good luck though, keep looking.

However did you see this note over at www.amazon.com? If I were you, I would CALL them and see if you can get a replacement.

From AMAZON : "Thanks to the incredible enthusiasm of Harry Potter fans, we have sold out of all copies of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Collector's Edition available in the United States. To ensure that we have enough replacement copies (for example, for books damaged during shipping), we will be holding a limited number of copies in reserve."

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    300$?!
    does the book come with anything worth 300$ I mean cmon rowling is already one of the richest women in europe, not like she needs the cash!
    alright (incredulousness swallowed) what makes worth it 300$?

Well, it sold for $100 originally. I like the whole presentation. From what I am told, the outside bigger box resembles the Beedle the Bard book as described in the series. The smaller, inner book is a replica of the hand-written BtB book that JRK did for her friends. Only like 6 exist in the WORLD. Amazon bought one for like a million dollars. Again, the money to JKR's children's charity.

all the money is going to a children's charity. Rowling isn't seeing a penny.
    Exactly! The Tales of Beedle the Bard is published by The Children’s High Level Group (CHLG), registered charity number 1112575, a charity co-founded in 2005 by J.K. Rowling and Emma Nicholson MEP to make life better for vulnerable children.

Quote Originally Posted by flaggwalkstheline View Post
    oh
    ok boy do I feel like an asshole then
    Nah. You didn't know... and honestly, she has more money than the Queen, so unless you follow the Harry stuff, it's natural to wonder.

So, now you know and can spread the word about what a generous author she really is.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Turtlex for sharing all the above information. Not only do I love my collectors copy I purchased, I have an awesome feeling for Amazon for passing some of the book purchase $ to CHLG foundation.

I'm starting to think Amazon sent most of the profit that way. They do make it clear on CHLG website, up to 100,000 copies was printed of this special edition. Will it keep going up in value? My crystal ball needs more AAA batteries (I'll tell you in two months )

If it doesn't, I'm still tickled with my purchase and the WOW factor when I show it to people is very cool.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

They are selling on Ebay for $300 also.
    Anyone know for sure if they are sold out?

My Mood
    Gay

Yes, according to Amazon, they're sold out.

This is from their website : "Thanks to the incredible enthusiasm of Harry Potter fans, we have sold out of all copies of The Tales of Beedle the Bard, Collector's Edition available in the United States. To ensure that we have enough replacement copies (for example, for books damaged during shipping), we will be holding a limited number of copies in reserve."

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    The collector's edition is so cool looking. I would love to get my hands on a copy. jcf817 if you're willing to pay cover price, I would suggestion amazon. good luck.
    on amazon.fr, there are 2 "new and used" offers starting at 150€ for the english CE.
    at the current rate (xe.com), it makes approx $209 + shipping to US... (+maybe a wee fee?)
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Traveler nothinglikethesun is on a distinguished road

Default Lost picture

I have a memory of a drawing of Roland hanging in one of the webs in LITTLE SISTERS OF ELURIA, but I can't find it anywhere. Can anyone help me? Thank-you. It might of been in the LEGENDS anthology, but I don't know. Thanks again!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 567 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 50 90 140 540 ... LastLast