Page 4 of 567 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Gunslinger Apprentice Hutch will become famous soon enough Hutch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    A few days ago I visited to my own site http://www.stephenkingbuy.com

When I got there I noticed the site had lost some of it's functionality. Sunday and Monday I worked until 5 am and 4 am working to restore all that was lost and while at it I suddenly found myself doing a redesign.

I would apprieciate any feedback you can give me as to it's design and functionality. I also created new links to identifying firsts and forgery protection as well as new page designs for both of those.

In the future I plan on adding a page to identifying UK firsts as well.

On another subject, a collector sought me out for signature verification. He said he heard I was a frequently suggested source for verification. As always I offered my opinion via email of the item in question once he submitted clear images. He wanted more... he wanted documentation for insurance purposes or to verify value for his family if he were deceased or ill. He offered to compensate me for my time. I told him I consider certificates of authenticity worthless I would create a letter of opinion. I watermarked a couple of his images, imbedded them in the document and wrote my evaluation. As for compensation, I suggested he simply pay me for my time with the amount to be determined by him. He was delighted with what I sent him and compensated me fairly.

Does anyone think this type of service if done right has value, is in demand, and is something I should offer on a regular basis?

Personally, I value my own opinion so much that I find little value in seeking other verification. ( my attempt at humor )

Dave
    Dave, the only caveat on supplying a "letter of opinion" is that you are doing it without actually seeing and handling the book. I, myself, would be rather uncomfortable with that. There could be flaws in the book that would devalue it but are not visible in a scanned image.

John
    thanks John, it is something I have gave thought to when asked to apply a value. In the outlined case the item in question was not a book. It was a signed new dust jacket. Condition did not come into play. And yet when I assigned a value to it I gave it a large range condition dependent.

Let me re-phrase. I'm thinking mostly along the lines of signature verification and only a letter of opinion. Making the letter tamper proof is the issue was an issue. If such a service is warranted I'm think the document I send will not be electronic but rather printed and sent via mail, continue to have imbedded watermarked images, hand signed and perhaps embossed.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The site looks good. Easy to navigate.

The letter of opinion does have a value I think. The fact that it's a bit different than your standard "cookie cutter" COA is nice. And, if you don't actually see the item, you can always add the disclaimer that your opinion is based on the imbedded images, etc.

I'd take your opinion over just about any official company out there.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

When I got there I noticed the site had lost some of it's functionality. Sunday and Monday I worked until 5 am and 4 am working to restore all that was lost and while at it I suddenly found myself doing a redesign.

I would apprieciate any feedback you can give me as to it's design and functionality. I also created new links to identifying firsts and forgery protection as well as new page designs for both of those.

On another subject, a collector sought me out for signature verification. He said he heard I was a frequently suggested source for verification. As always I offered my opinion via email of the item in question once he submitted clear images. He wanted more... he wanted documentation for insurance purposes or to verify value for his family if he were deceased or ill. He offered to compensate me for my time. I told him I consider certificates of authenticity worthless I would create a letter of opinion. I watermarked a couple of his images, imbedded them in the document and wrote my evaluation. As for compensation, I suggested he simply pay me for my time with the amount to be determined by him. He was delighted with what I sent him and compensated me fairly.

Does anyone think this type of service if done right has value, is in demand, and is something I should offer on a regular basis?

Personally, I value my own opinion so much that I find little value in seeking other verification. ( my attempt at humor )

Dave
    Dave, the only caveat on supplying a "letter of opinion" is that you are doing it without actually seeing and handling the book. I, myself, would be rather uncomfortable with that. There could be flaws in the book that would devalue it but are not visible in a scanned image.

John
    thanks John, it is something I have gave thought to when asked to apply a value. In the outlined case the item in question was not a book. It was a signed new dust jacket. Condition did not come into play. And yet when I assigned a value to it I gave it a large range condition dependent.

Let me re-phrase. I'm thinking mostly along the lines of signature verification and only a letter of opinion. Making the letter tamper proof is the issue was an issue. If such a service is warranted I'm think the document I send will not be electronic but rather printed and sent via mail, continue to have imbedded watermarked images, hand signed and perhaps embossed.
    Would notarized be a good thing? I mean I realize someone could probably find a crooked notary, but it would be an extra step.

And the site looks good to me.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't see how a notary would make much of a difference. All the notary really does is verifies the identity of the person who is signing a document. I don't see how that would apply here.

John

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't see how a notary would make much of a difference. All the notary really does is verifies the identity of the person who is signing a document. I don't see how that would apply here.

John
    True! I'm half awake. I think my brains stopped working. Sorry!
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

All the notary would do is validate that the letter of opinion was from whom it says its from. It would do nothing for the stated opinion within!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep--

<--is a notary

However, if it were me and I knew Hutch's reputation in the community, it might not be bad to be able to prove I didn't sign it (as him) myself.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

I like the new site. it's easier to find items then the old layout.

As far as the letter of opinion goes.... I think a gap in services = potential profit. In this case no one is offering anything "offical" of this nature. If you wanted to charge for it, you should give some flat rate for the service and have a lawyer draft a brief disclamer at the end of the document releasing you from any liability.

I get questions about SK signatures frequently, but only 2-4 times per year on verifying the authenticity.... much more comon is "how much is my signed book worth" type questions.

I'd be happy to refer people your way if you do start providing something like this.
    Thanks much,

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
    --Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

My only worry about this is in a bad case scenario, an Ebay seller decide to use your letter (hence, your name) to endorse a listing that they are selling. I assume that is not your intention with this. More to personal use of Insurance purpose and assurance of the item they already own. I might be wrong, but it was the first thing that I though about regarding this.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

well... i know when you get higher end art appraised for insurance purposes, a lot of companies require that it is appraised by a certified art appraiser, an appraiser certified by a valid organization like the IFAA ( International Fine Art Appraisers) - like when I had my original Patrick Nagel acrylic painting appraised.

unless you have some kind of certification, i'm not sure how far your validation letter would go with regards to insuring items.
    now i agree that you are a well known expert in the "king collecting circle". but outside the king ring of people that really know how valuable your opinion is (me included), i'm not sure what the weight of your opinion will carry. however, i do think that you might be able to get customers for your service.

Country
    Country Flag

Ok... enough already with the letter of opinion. I myself didn't believe it was a service that would be worth doing and you folks have pointed out many of the problems and issues that I thought of years ago.
    It's just that someone had an interest and I wanted a feel to see if there was a demand.

I receive about 100+ requests per year for my opinion with signatures and have freely done so via email and will continue to do.

In the meantime I would still like feedback and suggestions for the following:

I would appreciate any feedback you can give me as to it's design and functionality. I also created new links to identifying firsts and forgery protection as well as new page designs for both of those.

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would appreciate any feedback you can give me as to it's design and functionality. I also created new links to identifying firsts and forgery protection as well as new page designs for both of those.

I have always liked this info. The forgery protection portion is great too!!! Overall, as I said earlier, it's a great site.

There's also a discussion here about the gutter code on Pet Sematary actually being Y38, instead of Y3.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ead.php?t=2139

Gunslinger Apprentice Calla_Wolf is on a distinguished road Calla_Wolf's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    My only worry about this is in a bad case scenario, an Ebay seller decide to use your letter (hence, your name) to endorse a listing that they are selling. I assume that is not your intention with this. More to personal use of Insurance purpose and assurance of the item they already own. I might be wrong, but it was the first thing that I though about regarding this.
    Hi Dave

Site looks good !!!

As for the rest of it, as you know I tried to get SKFakes validated by King's office as an official source for signature appraisals etc and failed. WE all know your credentials but you know that I was always bombarded by questions such as "what are YOUR credentails??" etc etc etc when someone felt the urge to challenge me. These became tiresome.

I don't want to put you off the idea, it's up to you, but the letters you offer will only be of use to the owners if YOUR reputation spreads amongst the buying world, particularly Ebay. Sellers will want to add "Validated by Hutch" as a tagline, and they'll want that to carry some clout.

If potential buyers know to look for your name then the value of the books you certify will rise. If they don't know your reputation, the letters or certificates or whatever will only be worth the paper they're written on to anyone who doesn't know you.

I hope that makes sense - am writing this whilst playing host to more than a little fermented grape juice.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Couple of things which you might want to check.

The brown link bar looks a bit off unless you can get it all on your screen (see above)

The brown font color against the grey in the LHS does not look great.

Otherwise, it's good and easy to navigate.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

On the home page there is a link to "Consignment Policy" but you have misspelled "Poilcy" and this should probably be changed.

I found the site to be extremely easy to use and very quick and responsive.

Do you currently have books on consignment? If so, I do not see a link to view those.

Otherwise, I found the site to be great.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Also, do you have books listed by authors other than King? I think you have a Simmons book, CHILDREN OF THE NIGHT, listed. Should you have a link to "other authors"?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I navigated the site up to but not completeing a purchase and functionality was fine.
    I noticed that you had three From a Buick 8's listed and at first though it a mistake. Perhaps the limitation # could be listed on any/all S/L's.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

In the description for the Do It Yourself book, the word contributors is mis-spelled.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    On the home page there is a link to "Consignment Policy" but you have misspelled "Poilcy" and this should probably be changed.

Do you currently have books on consignment? If so, I do not see a link to view those.

" Policy " looks right to me .. perhaps it's an optical illusion. I'm either unable to change the white text of have yet to find a way to do so. Instead I darkened the background a couple of shades so the text shows up more easily. I really wanted to mute all the colors. I felt as though the past appearance was too bold and bright. After awhile I found it annoying.
    The consignment books are buried within other inventory. They are identified with the owners initials within the inventory number.

Right now there are only a handful left since I concentrate on moving the consignee's books first.

Country
    Country Flag

In the description for the Do It Yourself book, the word contributors is mis-spelled.

John
    thanks ..... corrected.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I navigated the site up to but not completeing a purchase and functionality was fine.
    I noticed that you had three From a Buick 8's listed and at first though it a mistake. Perhaps the limitation # could be listed on any/all S/L's.
    If you click on the item it will open a detailed description. Within it's text you will see the book numbers as well as in the additional images.

Perhaps your suggestion is for me to add the numbers of Signed limited Editions within the item title. If so .. I think it's a good idea. Most of my storefront titles are based off of my ebay titles. With some Ebay titles you have to be selective because of a limited number of characters allowed. Probably not the case with these books.

thank you, Dave

" Policy " looks right to me .. perhaps it's an optical illusion.
    The consignment books are buried within other inventory. They are identified with the owners initials within the inventory number.

Right now there are only a handful left since I concentrate on moving the consignee's books first.
    The tab at the top is spelled correctly. In the last sentence under the heading "Message to Our Customers" there is a link that has the misspelling. It's right above "Featured Items."

Country
    Country Flag

Keep the suggestions coming I appreciate the input.

Dave " Hutch " Hutcheson

Country
    Country Flag

" Policy " looks right to me .. perhaps it's an optical illusion.

The tab at the top is spelled correctly. In the last sentence under the heading "Message to Our Customers" there is a link that has the misspelling. It's right above "Featured Items."
    Done again... I'm pretty responsive aren't I ? Who doesn't have a life....?
    Yup it's me.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Dave
    Just quoting the above so it will appear on this page of the thread as well.

Now to check out the new site...
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 567 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 504 ... LastLast