Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 567 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 522 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I only gave my opinion, and thus it was and is only one no.
    Members have IMO a stronger vote than I. It just seemed there was not even a consensus on a day/time.
    This forum is here for all, I am only here to help on the back end.
    Let's do it!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    Heres a question I've been tossing around in my head for a little while - and I figure the answers will be divided. I guess I'm just looking for some re-assurance myself!

Say a collector wants to obtain a S/L of every Dark Tower book - including the Little Sisters of Eluria:

Which is more important, the S/L of Legends (the TRUE 1st appearance) OR the forthcoming S/L from Grant (the TRUE publisher of the Dark Tower series - and sorta the 1st appearance of the story on its own)?

Both isn't and answer!!
    Sorry. To this collector, BOTH is the answer.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Say a collector wants to obtain a S/L of every Dark Tower book - including The Little Sisters of Eluria:
    Which is more important, the S/L of Legends (the TRUE 1st appearance) OR the forthcoming S/L from Grant (the TRUE publisher of the Dark Tower series - and sorta the 1st appearance of the story on its own)?
    The answer to that question is TLSOE. It will be published by Grant Books who published the entire DT series. It is just a better fit.

Now if the question had been.....

If a magical elf offered you the choice between a free S/L of Legends or a free S/L of TLSOE, then the answer would be LEGENDS. With only 250 copies, I think we can all agree that it is a much rarer book than TLSOE will be.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Say a collector wants to obtain a S/L of every Dark Tower book - including The Little Sisters of Eluria:
    The answer to that question is TLSOE. It will be published by Grant Books. who published the entire DT series. It is just a better fit.

Now if the question had been.....

If a magical elf offered you the choice between a free S/L of Legends or a free S/L of TLSOE, then the answer would be LEGENDS. With only 200 copies, I think we can all agree that it is going to be a much rarer book than TLSOE.

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

And that brings up an interesting question. Will the Grant publication of TLSOE Negatively affect the value of the S/L Legends?

Thoughts?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

And that brings up an interesting question. Will the Grant publication of TLSOE Negatively affect the value of the S/L Legends?

Thoughts?
    I doubt it...with only the 200 copies it will always be a top collectible...

But, to be wishy washy...when a would-be collector sees the same story with "Stephen King" on the spine as opposed to "Robert Silverberg," that might make a difference too...

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Thoughts?
    I think so to some degree. I think it's always been overpriced as it is for an anthology.

I was also thinking the same would happen to the s/n Gunslinger. A lot of collectors I would think would just defer to the cheaper newer edition than paying $3,000 for an original Gunslinger. I would assume the market for an original will suddenly get a lot smaller.
    Geoff

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess I have a preference for the initial publication of an item. Maybe that's why I like proofs/ARCs so much!

John

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post

Thoughts?
    I think so to some degree. I think it's always been overpriced as it is for an anthology.

I was also thinking the same would happen to the s/n Gunslinger. A lot of collectors I would think would just defer to the cheaper newer edition than paying $3,000 for an original Gunslinger. I would assume the market for an original will suddenly get a lot smaller.
    That I don't personally believe...the market for the original GS was small already...nobody who was on the fence about spending $3K is suddenly going to be happy with LSOE as a substitute.

The original s/l of Gunslinger is the most significant s/l, I think...you either have it or you don't.

But, yes, some collectors who were never going to pay the huge $$ for GS might decide it's an acceptable alternative...but they were probably never really in the GS market anyway.

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Randall Flagg, your vote counts just as much as anyone's!
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Its a pretty simple thing to do and would cause no problem if no one used it. I just felt like it was necessary to gauge interest.

I appreciate everyone's opinion and I'm glad its something that you guys feel like you might be interested in.

The whole point is that its fun and interesting--if it works out that way then that can only be a good thing. Creating it would take two seconds, same with a discontinue if it doesn't work out.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Heres a question I've been tossing around in my head for a little while - and I figure the answers will be divided. I guess I'm just looking for some re-assurance myself!

Say a collector wants to obtain a S/L of every Dark Tower book - including the Little Sisters of Eluria:

Both isn't and answer!!
    Sorry. To this collector, BOTH is the answer.
    Thats my true feeling as well, I'm just trying to prioritize more so I guess - if the new S/L said "the Gunslinger" on the spine then I think I'd be more inclined to get Legends, but when its going to specifically be a S/L of TLSOE.... it makes me want to save my pennies and stick with Grant. (For instance, I was able to talk myself out of the UK S/L W&G because it wasn't the 1st and it wasn't Grant)...

I'm leaning towards not getting Legends now - I mean for $1K I could get a S/L Salem's Lot or a lot of other cool stuff. BUT, the authors in Legends are just that - legends - and the novellas add to their seminal works... so its kind of the anthology of all anthologies in the sci-fi genre, so on its own it would be worth owning. AHHHHHHHHHHH!

Okay, so to end my rambling... I'm getting the new S/L of TLSOE either way --> if I'm saving up for something big, would I be better grabbing the only copy of Legends I'm aware of on the market or, taking advantage of the low King market and grabbing another S/L?
    Last edited by e_taylor; 08-15-2008 at 06:19 AM. Reason: typo

Country
    Country Flag

I'm certainly up for the idea - but I'm not sure setting a specific day/time will be terribly necessary. Maybe just a specific day for general chat (that way there will at least be more folks online) - and then the experts can set their own days/times and we can fit it into our schedules. If Bob says hes there tomorrow at midnight - I'll be there tomorrow at midnight goddamnit!

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Speaking of LEGENDS, Randall Flagg needs some images of it for the Signed, Numbered or Lettered Edtions section of The King Collectibles Catalog.

Can anyone here help?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

If Bob says hes there tomorrow at midnight - I'll be there tomorrow at midnight goddamnit!
    Midnight is too late for this old man!

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps special guests could be contacted for chat-room "interviews".

Off the top of my head, here a few people that I would like to "see".

All of The Dark Tower Artists
    Robert Weiner
    Jerad Walters
    Stephen King <---on the fence about this guy...he's kind of a hack
    Tomas Krynsky
    Stu Tinker

I know there are more...just kind of drawing a blank.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

Thoughts?

That I don't personally believe...the market for the original GS was small already...nobody who was on the fence about spending $3K is suddenly going to be happy with LSOE as a substitute.

The original s/l of Gunslinger is the most significant s/l, I think...you either have it or you don't.

But, yes, some collectors who were never going to pay the huge $$ for GS might decide it's an acceptable alternative...but they were probably never really in the GS market anyway.
    Well I admit that there was a small market of people who would be in for a first Limited Gunslinger to begin with. But I think it’ll get smaller still even with people on the fence. There are plenty of collectors like myself that have no problem paying over 2 grand for The Stand, because it’s the only version or $1,500 for one of the other Limiteds of King’s which I have done in the past. Now I’ll admit I have never even considered owning the first Gunslinger because I own a first trade and the signature doesn’t justify the cost. But as I continue to complete my King collection I always knew that one day I would be addressing this issue. Do I want to buy a first signed Gunslinger or not? If that was the only option available I would eventually. But that might not be for another 5 years, as there are other items I want first. But now that I have a cheaper alternative to purchase, that now really pushes the first signed Gunslinger to the bottom of the pile. I probably won’t consider it again until I have everything by King that I want, which could be 10 years from now, unless the price falls. Then I would consider buying it earlier.

I think people who really want the book will still buy the book. But I think the middle collector, like myself who’s put, jeeze I hate to say it, but close to 20 grand into the collection, and buys all the Limited’s, will still keep the first Gunslinger out of their collection because the price tag is too high. And there is now a happy cheaper alternative.

One thing of note, though I will say. I am a Stephen king collector, not a Dark Tower collector. The Dark Tower books are just part of my collection. The Dark Tower collectors would obviously be more inclined to buy the first signed Gunslinger than myself.
    Geoff

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I guess I have a preference for the initial publication of an item. Maybe that's why I like proofs/ARCs so much!

John
    First Trade editions will always be popular. But with the Gunslinger there was also a trade, which is identical to the two signed editions sans the slipcase and signature. So in this case there are alternatives.

And you do know you are in the minority John when collecting proofs? You are one of the die hards. Many collectors do not bother with proofs.
    Geoff

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I know.

Of course, that means that I have a better chance of getting the ones I want, too.

John

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I know.

Of course, that means that I have a better chance of getting the ones I want, too.

John
    True, but those new ones. Ouch! There are some hard fought battles for the new proofs. You have plenty of competition.
    Geoff

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Now I’ll admit I have never even considered owning the first Gunslinger because I own a first trade and the signature doesn’t justify the cost.
    Don't forget that slipcase!

You know, I too was one of those people that never thought I would own a S/L Gunslinger. And then the one with my matching number came up on ebay and I had to buy it.

I think people who really want the book will still buy the book. But I think the middle collector, will still keep the first Gunslinger out of their collection because the price tag is too high. And there is now a happy cheaper alternative.
    I just don't see it as an alternative. To me, it is an apples and oranges thing.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

please know that this is speaking as a total newbie at the serious collecting thing.

a chat room would be a good way to allow us newbies a chance to actually "meet" some real live legends from our site and learn about them in a more personal environment. even if we just went in and "observed". you know, kind of like at the zoo.

oh, and that stephen king guy? i hear he's a one hit wonder; that he's not really going to amount to much.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

i'm sure a collectors room will come in handy in more ways than one

Country
    Country Flag

This was posted on the skcollector forums:

Has anyone noticed that the ISBN on the dustjacket doesn't correspond to the ISBN on the copyright page in the Grant artist edition of DT VII?

The dustjacket says 1-880418-64-1 and the copyright page says 1-880418-61-4
    I checked my copy and its the same - thoughts?

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Justin Brooks' Primary Bibliography lists the Artist edition as 1-880418-64-1. I'm not sure which is the misprint. (Just switch the last three characters from 4-1 to 1-4.) I'm sure one of them is incorrect, but I don't know how to find out which is which.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 567 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22 23 24 32 72 122 522 ... LastLast