Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 153 of 567 FirstFirst ... 53 103 143 151 152 153 154 155 163 203 253 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,825 of 14171

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I kinda figured there'd be no difference but I get emails saying things along the lines of "an exclusive issue" and then I'll see the exact same thing at Target and it is sometimes half the price. Like the Blockade Billy I got from an online place when I wish I'd waited and just got the Target one.

....I have noticed that 2nd/3rd,etc. printing thing though...

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

In the case of BLOCKADE BILLY there may have been a difference. The Cemetery Dance first edition is not the same edition as the Scribner first edition. But generally, if it's really the same book, then it shouldn't matter where you get it.

Gunslinger Apprentice cgallagh44 is on a distinguished road cgallagh44's Avatar

Default Dead Zone

Did the "Dead Zone-First Edition" from Easton Press come with a slipcase? Also, how can you tell this book is a First Edition?

Thanks
    WANTED: FIRST EDITIONS
    1. Carrie
    2. Dark Tower The Gunslinger
    3. Salem's Lot
    4. The Shining

If you have any extra copies and would like to sell please PM me. Thanks

Banned Ric is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood
    Angry

Quote Originally Posted by cgallagh44 View Post
    Did the "Dead Zone-First Edition" from Easton Press come with a slipcase? Also, how can you tell this book is a First Edition?

Thanks
    No it did not come with a slipcase but "The Collector" ( www.skcollector.com) sells an aftermarket one that is very nice and fits the Easton press edition perfectly.

The first edition has a slightly different spine design regarding the box around the book title and the ornamentation.
    http://skcollector.com/limited/deadzone1vs2.html

Thanks Ric for the info and for responding so fast...I appreciate it.
    1. Carrie
    3. Salem's Lot
    4. The Shining

Default Prices in Pencil on older Books

Just bought a first edition of "CuJo"...when I opened the cover I noticed a price written in pencil on the top of the first blank page. I contacted the seller (eBay) and he informed me that it would be difficult to find any used book that has not been priced by a bookseller at some point.

Just trying to get some feedback on this.

Thanks
    1. Carrie
    3. Salem's Lot
    4. The Shining

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sorry but that's bullshit (excusez le mot). I'm not saying there aren't many used books with notes in pencil but this is just a seller who doesn't want to take his responsibilities. I have tons of used trade hardcovers and only a few came with these inscriptions.

*edit* I must say that I'm usually not too upset by light pencil inscriptions, I simply erase them.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Just bought a first edition of "CuJo"...when I opened the cover I noticed a price written in pencil on the top of the first blank page. I contacted the seller (eBay) and he informed me that it would be difficult to find any used book that has not been priced by a bookseller at some point.

Thanks
    Pencil notations are pretty common. It should be easily erasable. If you don't already have one go to an office supply store and buy a non-abrasive gum eraser. Never use any eraser on the end of a pencil. It should erase easily and not damage the paper. If you get a good eraser you can rub pretty hard and do so safely.

Banned Ric is an unknown quantity at this point

My Mood
    Angry

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post

Thanks
    Pencil notations are pretty common. It should be easily erasable. If you don't already have one go to an office supply store and buy a non-abrasive gum eraser. Never use any eraser on the end of a pencil. It should erase easily and not damage the paper. If you get a good eraser you can rub pretty hard and do so safely.
    Totally agree with Bob. I've bought my share of books priced by the seller in pencil (one store in NYC is notorious for this). Simply follow Bob's instructions and you should be fine.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree with the above, but that doesn't alleviate the fact that the seller should have informed you of the pencil annotation. If it's a heavy pencil mark that may not come out, I'd say return it and go for the refund. You can always drop him some negative feedback as well if he's just being a dick about it.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Pencil notations are not really considered flaws to be identified...if you explicity asked if there were any pencil marks, obviously they should have told you...but by itself, it's not a flaw or something most booksellers will feel obligated to mention (back in the old days, I think most rare bookstores used them). Nor should it affect resale price.

If you were happy with the price, keep it. I would not try to erase it...ANY mistake on your part could create a mark that would look a lot worse than a penciled price.

Thanks to everyone for the great feedback, I really appreciate it...I will definitely look for a gum eraser (non-abrasive).
    1. Carrie
    3. Salem's Lot
    4. The Shining

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quick question. Is the gift edition of "Insomnia" actually numbered?

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    No

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    No
    Thanks. There was a seller on Ebay who was selling a copy which he states is #1 of 3,750. I specifically asked if this is actually #1 and he responded with a yes. In hindsight I should have been a bit more specific in my question. I didn't buy the book because I thought it was odd that an unsigned gift edition would be numbered.

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I've seen that before in other auctions. I think they usually are just trying to say "this is one book from an edition of 3750." Just not so clearly.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Hey TDT junkies. I am in the process of acquiring a S/L #'d Regulators from David and I noticed that he has another one on his website that lists the # as 573. I thought that there were only 500 total #'d Limiteds released for Regulators?!

Probably just a typo unless somebody out there knows something I don't (which is very likely).....

Tim

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It's probably a typo. There were only 500 numbered copies issued.

John

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Question. Let's say I bought a Gunslinger second edition from someone that really didn't know what they had. I gave a fair price, a little under market value. They described the book and dustjacket to me, all is great. But I received the book today, and the yellow on the spine ... is white.

I had asked for pictures of the front, rear, inside dustjacket price, and "second edition" on the copyright page. I didn't ask one of the spine. Is this my fault, or is it the seller's fault, even though the book itself doesn't LOOK faded (it just looks like the lettering on the spine was supposed to be white)? Thanks.

Shannon

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

If the seller were uninformed and the buyer were informed, then it's hard to blame the seller for not mentioning something that only an informed party would recognize.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I made that mistake today when my Gerald's Game 1st/1st arrived today, replacing my 1st/3rd. Drinking beer, itunes and a quick click. I know what I am looking for and didn't see/ask things I know. My fault, seller gets a positive and I have a cheap reading copy.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm leaning towards it being my fault as well, but I don't know, he mentioned the "dust jacket and book in both fine condition", and they are ... with the exception of this damn white lettering on the spine. Maybe I'll get a highlighter or something and fix it, lol

I think I'm going to bring it up with the seller, I've bought a ton of stuff from him before. The SK Newsletters, a lot of old magazines and anthologies. I'm going to mention it with no feelings either way and see what he would like to do. If he wants to do a refund, great. If he wants to give some of my money back, great. If he doesn't want to do anything, I guess that will be O with me too. I won't push it or seem TOO disappointed. Like ..."UGH! FUCKIN' FINE, MAN! WORST. SELLER. EVER!" lol, it's all good. Now I know ... when buying something over $100 from someone OTHER than David, lol, ask tons of questions and for tons of pictures.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

If the seller were uninformed and the buyer were informed, then it's hard to blame the seller for not mentioning something that only an informed party would recognize.
    I'd have to agree. It's one thing to have something arrive blatantly not as described, but Joe Blow selling a book likely isn't going to know about spine sunfading. Even if he does, he may not be familiar with what it looks like on teh particular volume that you're buying. IMO that's just one of the questions that you need to ask as the buyer if it's not mentioned in the description, whether the seller has a 5 feedback or 5000. Sometimes even the photographs lie; depending on the camera skills of the seller, it may look totally different in your hand than it does on the screen.
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Sometimes, if you do your job, you can get what you paid for and more. My Night Shift 1st that I got today was way better than photos showed. S52, non-clipped and all, happy to the point that it would be the last thing in my collection that I would replace. That seller made me smile for a week or two. Point being, the photos weren't great but I knew the minimume (ms) I was getting for my $100 plus book. I saw it was a value, to me, and made the purchase knowing the worst result. I win, in my eyes. 95 % of the time, $100+ book or not, proper research and photos, you should know what is a good value or ask before make a bigger purchase

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

How much are the non-clipped ones going for these days? Trying to figure out how much a really good shape clipped one is worth.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 153 of 567 FirstFirst ... 53 103 143 151 152 153 154 155 163 203 253 ... LastLast