Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 567 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 512 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree that the "face" value of the books is between $4000 and $5000. I also agree that the dealer's 40% discount is a bit steep.

Unfortunately for you though, the market for the proofs seems a bit down at the moment. Geemann1 has had a lot of proofs on eBay recently (admittedly at a fairly high starting price) and very few have actually sold.

Best of luck!

John

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

geoff,
    of course the real amount depends on the condition of the books.... but if the books are all in good plus, i'd think your shorting yourself quite a bit at 2500
    would have to know more, like, is the pet sematary proof the photocopy version?
    but i think, if sold separately on ebay, i think the proofs alone would fetch more than 3000.00. and many of the UK hardbacks would add a lot more to that.
    also, is the US stand a 1st edition?...in what shape? that could add several hundred if in good+ shape.

no way would i take only 2500 for all these, 4100.00 - eh... maybe... 2500, no... list them separately on ebay and get the best price you can is my suggestion.

edit: 31 proofs listed- most proofs will at least draw a 50.00 price (rose madder is an exception)... but twice the power, several of the DT proofs, pet sematary, eyes of the dragon and a few more might fetch 200.00 + on a good ebay day.
    i'm thinking an *average* of 100 bucks each x 31 = 3100.00
    that's very rough estimating... but i think it's not that far off.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

thanks so far (more input would be helpful). I agreed that the $4100 seemed somewhat accurate. And he came back with "well what do you want for them, based off this number?" So I'm trying to come up with a figure, or to check to see if it's fair.

And yea, I'm trying to get rid of it as a set so he'll also take my trade copies of Insomnia for example.
    Geoff

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I agree that the "face" value of the books is between $4000 and $5000. I also agree that the dealer's 40% discount is a bit steep.
    That is pretty standard, though, in my experience. Booksellers usually offer about half of what they think they can resell the book for.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    geoff,
    is the pet sematary proof the photocopy version?
    but i think, if sold separately on ebay, i think the proofs alone would fetch more than 3000.00
    yes it is, Peter Schneider gave me this one directly.

The problem is I don't know what I paid for a lot of this stuff. Like the DT VII UK Proof. Did I pay $750 or $450? I can't remember.

oh, btw. Everything is in Excellent or above condition, except for the ones noted as VG or Good, etc..
    Geoff

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I hate to say this, Geoff, but it doesn't really matter what you paid--only what someone is willing to pay now. I've overpaid for a number of things, but I've also gotten some good deals, so it usually works out okay in the end.

John

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

if you're not in a hurry, and have to sell the books as a "lot" ,list the set of books on ebay for a month with a buy it now of 3500 - 4000
    see if you get any takers - if not... then consider selling them for less to your "dealer" buyer... he'll probably still be there and ready to buy at the discounted price.
    you might want to list them as three lots... proofs, uk, and us editions... same cumulative price, but it'll lower the lot prices for ebayers.
    and let those focused on needing proofs or UK editions, build up their collection in one swipe.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I hate to say this, Geoff, but it doesn't really matter what you paid--only what someone is willing to pay now. I've overpaid for a number of things, but I've also gotten some good deals, so it usually works out okay in the end.

John
    true, and the market is down right now.

Good consideration Boomie.

There is a good chance I'll list some here at DTBay, but I do need a chunk of cash before the months over, so that's why I'm trying to sell them in bulk.
    Geoff

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

selling your collection? what a shame it s a pretty nice one... good luck

And yea, I'm trying to get rid of it as a set so he'll also take my trade copies of Insomnia for example.
    You've hit on a very good point. Let's say you wind up selling off the good stuff. Now you're left with a pile of less desirable stuff (like that 1st edition insomnia) which will sell for a very minimal ammount on ebay.

Then minus out ebay listing fees, final value fees, paypal fees and (if you miscalculate) a little on shipping and your profit is minimal on the "chaff"
    Thanks much,

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
    --Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Geoff, I will give you $2000 for all the listed proofs.

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Try selling them here on DTbay. You can probably make way more than $2500 on the proofs alone if you sell them seperately. Worth a try at least.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

I also suggest listing them on dtbay. There's stuff there that I'm sure everyone here would love to own, me included. At least you'd be able to get fair price on those items and at the end of the month, you can sell the rest as a lot.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

**cracks his knuckles for a little bidding war**
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Doubt it. The proof collectors on here have them all.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I know, I was just playing. However, there are plenty of people here (like me) that would love to own a piece of this if they could.

That represents a whole lot of "little money"
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Not An Addict lophophoras is on a distinguished road lophophoras's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know, I was just playing. However, there are plenty of people here (like me) that would love to own a piece of this if they could.

That represents a whole lot of "little money"
    Exactly! I own a few but not all. And there are a few in the above list I would like to aquire.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    Btw, if the moderators feel this is an inappropriate thread, feel free to delete it. Thanks in advance!
    The thread is fine. Once it has been up enough to provide you with good info, we'll fold it into the Collecting Questions thread.
    Good luck.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I think I would like to sell some stuff on DTBay regardless of this list. There's actually things I left off this list, by mistake, that I would still probably like to get rid of (and are worth something).

But I have to weigh what theCollector commented on. I know I can get rid of the good stuff, but I want to get rid of it all. I just need to figure out what I want to do. I'm very wishy washy right now, because I'm not sure what I want to do.
    Geoff

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I think I would like to sell some stuff on DTBay regardless of this list. There's actually things I left off this list, by mistake, that I would still probably like to get rid of (and are worth something).

But I have to weigh what theCollector commented on. I know I can get rid of the good stuff, but I want to get rid of it all. I just need to figure out what I want to do. I'm very wishy washy right now, because I'm not sure what I want to do.

ok... first... i collect SK proofs (at last count i had well over 70)- but there's a couple on your list that i don't have that i'd be interested in... but not if i had to buy the entire lot... i'm sure other proof collectors are in the same situation... and the other proofs would still be snatched up by many non-completist collectors here if offered.

second... if you were only offered 2500.00 for all the books by the dealer.... but you were able to sell just the proofs individually or together, for anything over 2500.00 - that's extra profit in your pocket. at that time you could actually give away the insomnias and other books not worth as much and still come out ahead. or sell them for whatever you can get for them, trade em at a half price bookstore , whatever...
    point is, unless you're just hell bent to make the dealer an offer he can't refuse, i think you can do better with minimal effort.
    because 90% of the same people that would buy the same books from the dealer are right here, and would rather buy cheaper from you.
    but you know your time/money needs/and effort level much better than we do.

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post

ok... first... i collect SK proofs (at last count i had well over 70)- but there's a couple on your list that i don't have that i'd be interested in... but not if i had to buy the entire lot... i'm sure other proof collectors are in the same situation... and the other proofs would still be snatched up by many non-completist collectors here if offered.

second... if you were only offered 2500.00 for all the books by the dealer.... but you were able to sell just the proofs individually or together, for anything over 2500.00 - that's extra profit in your pocket. at that time you could actually give away the insomnias and other books not worth as much and still come out ahead. or sell them for whatever you can get for them, trade em at a half price bookstore , whatever...
    point is, unless you're just hell bent to make the dealer an offer he can't refuse, i think you can do better with minimal effort.
    because 90% of the same people that would buy the same books from the dealer are right here, and would rather buy cheaper from you.
    but you know your time/money needs/and effort level much better than we do.
    You are making a lot of sense, I have a strong feeling I'll be DTBaying these.
    Geoff

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

If I am not mistaken, the regular trades not worth much could be donated and you can write it off as a tax deduction if you itemize your taxes. It's not dollar for dollar (off your tax bill), but you would be helping out a charity/library/whatever and still get some monetary value also without having to box up and ship them.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Gunslinger Apprentice natehorning is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Doubt it. The proof collectors on here have them all.
    Whether it's a war or not I would definately be bidding on several. Proofs are my collecting focus and there are quite a few I have been looking for.

Nate

It's not dollar for dollar (off your tax bill)
    Wouldn't you basically get back whatever tax bracket you're in? So if you were in a 28% tax bracket you'd get 28 cents back for every dollar of book donated.
    Thanks much,

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
    --Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The UK lot of books is intriguing, but I don't have the room or money to start building onto my collection of those (which is about 5 right now).

Some of the proofs, if within my budget, would peak my interest.

Depending on their condition, the US hardcovers would be worth your time on eBay. The DT hardcovers, Black House Gift ed, Danse Macabre, and The Stand seem to fare well ($50 and up) if you start out low enough and get a good bidding war going. You should get $6-800+ from those alone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 567 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 112 512 ... LastLast