Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 567 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 511 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure which thread to pose this question in.

My eBay rating just jumped about 250 points in one day. From about 825 to 1075. Has eBay changed the way they are computing the ratings? Now counting multiple feedbacks from one seller? Other factors?

Anyone else's rating gone up dramatically?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine went up a lot also. It wasn't like this (301) earlier this afternoon. It was at 246. I think you're right--they're counting all feedbacks, not just one from each of the sellers.

John

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I'm not sure which thread to pose this question in.

My eBay rating just jumped about 250 points in one day. From about 825 to 1075. Has eBay changed the way they are computing the ratings? Now counting multiple feedbacks from one seller? Other factors?

Anyone else's rating gone up dramatically?
    As of today Ebay has changed the way they count feedback Previously if you recieived multiple feedback from one seller it counted only once. now they count each one. that was one of the changes,

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Default ebay feedback changes

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Mine went up a lot also. It wasn't like this (301) earlier this afternoon. It was at 246. I think you're right--they're counting all feedbacks, not just one from each of the sellers.

John
    What changes are being made to the eBay Feedback system?

The main changes to the system being introduced in May:
    Beginning in February 2008, we enabled buyers and sellers to earn up to one Feedback per week from the same trading partner. In May we will provide credit for similar repeat transactions going back to when the system was introduced in 1996. This change will encourage repeat transactions and reward good service.
    In May, sellers will no longer be able to leave negative or neutral Feedback for buyers.
    Removal of negative and neutral Feedback left by members who are suspended or who fail to respond to the Unpaid Item (UPI) Process.
    Positive Feedback percentage will be based on the past 12 months of Feedback, rather than lifetime, since it is most indicative of the seller's recent performance.
    Restrictions on when Feedback can be left:
    Buyers must wait seven days before leaving negative or neutral Feedback for active PowerSellers who have been registered for at least 12 months.
    Members must leave Feedback within 60 days of the transaction closing (today members have up to 90 days).
    Removal of Mutual Feedback Withdrawal

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I like the new feedback rules!!
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

My feedback went from 301 to 335, but better than that, the one bad feedback I got five years ago is gone, so now I have 100 percent positive! Woo hoo!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    My feedback went from 301 to 335, but better than that, the one bad feedback I got five years ago is gone, so now I have 100 percent positive! Woo hoo!
    You might find that the negative is still there-perhaps several pages back (but it was more than 12 months old it no longer is a negative towards you percentage ), however, you are right, in that sellers no longer rate you-YOU rate them.

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Mine went from 902 to 1047 and also no longer have the 1 negative I had (retaliatory)

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting I now read 100% (for past 12 months). I did a search and I still have one of my two negatives, from a few years ago.

Now as a seller it sucks not being able to post negative feedback, but as a buyer it sucked when they were allowed. Both of my negative feedbacks were because I placed a negative feedback with the seller, and they countered with a negative feedback for me. Which was bullcrap because both of them did not deliver the item I bought, but I still got nailed with two negative feedbacks.

So, I'll take the new system.

btw, my numbers jumped about 50 feedbacks.
    Geoff

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Yes...the negative feedback itself is still there...but it always annoyed me to see that 99.9 percent feedback (and the neg was retaliatory), so I'm glad to be rid of it! Haha...

Traveler ClashCR77 is on a distinguished road ClashCR77's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone knows why the Grant 1st edition of Wizard and Glass so rare?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ClashCR77 View Post
    With the first three books Donald Grant Publishing sold almost entirely through their own mailing list and a few specialty booksellers. This meant that almost all the copies made it into the hands of collectors and they remain in the collecting community today.

DT IV was the first book in the series to be distributed partially through the big boys of bookselling like Barnes & Noble etc. I think this put more copies into the hands of noncollectors and, thus, lowered the number of copies presently changing hands amongst collectors.

That is perhaps an oversimplification and there are probably other factors but I think that is basically what happened.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ClashCR77 View Post
    It was the first 'mainstream' release of a King Dark Tower book. Previously Grant books had sold the books ithemsleves. For this release, a large portion of the 40,000 first printings went to the major book chains. Since many were bought, read and disposed of by the 'casual' reader, there are significantly less than 40,000 nice copies available to the collector. That combined with a perceived feeling of scarcity has generated more supply than demand-thus the high prices.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Despite Little sisters of Eluria, is there another DT short story (or related...with the exception of the novels) besides The Tale of Gray Dick?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

If you mean stories in which Roland and/or his ka-tet appear, I think that's the only one. I personally would include Low Men in Yellow Coats, from Hearts in Atlantis, as one though.

John

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger Apprentice DanishCollector will become famous soon enough

"The Tale of Gray Dick" was a stand-alone excerpt just as "The Bear," so you should also include "The Bear."

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by alinda View Post
    Are you guys being serious? How on Earth would we
    put a plan like that in motion? Attention all SK haters,
    please do not burn the copies of his books...bring them
    (or send them) to us...we'll have a really HUGE buggering fire
    and show him what we think!! (books can be sent to Vegas
    in time for the gathering ) and rather than destroy them, we
    could dispence them to members here in a giveaway?
    I can see it now. We could call it the next Burning Man celebration. Only the entry fee would be a Stephen King book. First editions, Signed editions, Limited editions, no edition turned away. Preferred seating given to those with Signed and Limited editions. Come early and get a good seat. All editions will be destroyed in the burning of the effegy of King himself. Let the festival commence!! We could burn mock ups or books by and videos starring Jane Fonda. The Kingly bounty shall be split between us all. MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

"The Tale of Gray Dick" was a stand-alone excerpt just as "The Bear," so you should also include "The Bear."
    Good point.

Thanks!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

The lettered edition of FIRESTARTER by Phantasia Press has a shiny aluminum (is it really asbestos?) finish and was issued without a dust jacket or slipcase. All copies I have seen (I think I have seen 6) have varying degrees of minute scuff marks on the finish from shelving, etc. My copy is very nice but the finicky collector in me has always been looking for a nicer one...or one with NO scuff marks. I have not found the perfect copy. Once Stu Tinker sent me a book on approval and when I put it next to my copy I noticed that they didn't look the same.

Here are some digital images of an older 35mm print (not the greatest quality) of the two books side by side. My book on the left has the texture or pattern running up and down while the other book has the texture running side to side. I think you see it better on the image of the rear boards.

Did Alex Berman do an equal number with each binding variant? Is one rarer than the other? I have no idea.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I believe the line at the time was that there was asbestos impregnated in the metal. How much? Probably just enough so they could say it was in there, as a gimmick, without causing health risks!

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Estimated Value of this Collection?

I was looking for some help on the estimated value of this collection I’m posting from the collectors (and sellers). It’s part of my collection that I am parting with. Yea, it’s sad, but I could use the money, and I need the bookshelf space. My King collection currently takes up one wall of my condo, and I would like to get it down to two bookshelves. And I am keeping all my Limited Editions, like The Stand, Regulators, Christine, The Dark Tower series, etc… Everything posted is duplicates, or just different versions of the same book.

OK, now after explaining why I’m getting rid of the collection. Could anyone guesstimate on a value of these books? I am working with a bookseller who thinks the overall value is $4100 (which sounds fair to me), but obviously he is only going to pay $2,500 or so for them (which sucks). Does this sound like a good deal or not. Or what do you think I should be asking for. It’s being sold as a set.

Btw, if the moderators feel this is an inappropriate thread, feel free to delete it. Thanks in advance!

UK Books
    The Shinning (UK hc 1977)
    The Stand - Complete and Uncut (UK hc 1990)
    The Dead Zone (UK hc 1979)
    Firestarter (UK hc 1980)
    Cujo (UK hc 1982)
    Christine (UK hc 1983)
    Pet Sematary (UK hc 1983)
    The Eyes of the Dragon (UK hc 1987)
    It (UK hc 1986)
    Misery (UK hc 1987)
    The Tommyknockers (UK hc 1988 )
    The Dark Half (UK Proof pb 1989) Good-
    Needful Things (UK hc 1991)
    Gerald's Game (UK hc 1992)
    Dolores Claiborne (UK hc 1992)
    Insomnia (UK hc 1994) Good-
    Desperation (UK hc 1996)
    Bag of Bones (UK hc 1998 )
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (UK hc 1999)
    Dreamcatcher (UK hc 2001)
    From a Buick 8 (UK hc 2002)
    Cell (UK hc 2006)
    Lisey's Story (UK hc 2006) signed by King
    Duma Key (UK hc 2008 )
    Wizard and Glass (UK hc 1997) Book Club Edition (only UK hardcover)
    Wolves of the Calla (UK hc 2003)
    Song of Susannah (UK hc 2004)
    Black House (UK hc 2001) white text, black cover
    Black House (UK hc 2001) black text, white cover, signed by Peter Straub
    Skeleton Crew (UK hc 1985)
    Four Past Midnight (UK hc 1990)
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes (UK hc 1993)
    Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales (UK hc 2002)
    Thinner (UK hc 1985) w/"Stephen King's name" ribbon
    Blaze (UK hc 2007)
    Umney's Last Case (UK pb 1995)
    On Writing (UK hc 2000)

Proofs
    Pet Sematary (Uncorrected Galley Proof pb 1983) This is the 1st proof (less than 50 copies)
    The Eyes of the Dragon (Unrevised and Unpublished Proof pb 1987)
    The Dark Half (Unrevised and Unpublished Proof pb 1989) VG
    Needful Things (Unrevised and Unpublished Proof hc 1991) VG
    ’Twice the Power‘ Needful Things & Four Past Midnight (UK Uncorrected Proof pb 1991)
    Gerald's Game (Proof pb 1992)
    Gerald's Game (Special ABA Edition hc 1992) slipcase, VG
    Insomnia (Unrevised Proof pb 1994)
    Rose Madder (Unrevised and Unpublished Proof pb 1995) w/Proof Dust Jacket (rare different cover) and Publisher Letter
    Bag of Bones (ARC pb 1998 )
    Bag of Bones (UK ARC pb 1998 ) silver slipcase, flat signed facsimile, VG
    From a Buick 8 (Advance Uncorrected Proof pb 2002) VG-
    Lisey's Story (Advance Reader's Edition pb 2006)
    Lisey's Story (UK Uncorrected Advance Proof pb 2006) rare
    The Drawing of the Three (ARC pb 1987) Orange Plume Edition, with publisher letter
    The Drawing of the Three (ARC pb 1987) Trade Cover Plume Edition, with publisher letter
    The Wastelands (ARC pb 1991)
    The Wastelands (Proof pb 1992) Plume Edition, Good
    Wizard and Glass (ARC pb 1997)
    Wolves of the Calla (Proof pb 2003)
    Song of Susannah (ARC pb 2004)
    The Dark Tower (Proof pb 2004) very rare
    The Dark Tower (UK Exclusive Limited Edition Early Reading Copy pb 2004) very rare, only 100 copies
    Black House (Advance Uncorrected Proof pb 2001)
    Black House (UK Uncorrected Proof pb 2001) not the full book (by design)
    Four Past Midnight (Unrevised and Unpublished Proof pb 1990) w/promo dust jacket and publishers letter
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes (Proof pb 1993)
    Hearts In Atlantis (ARC pb 1999)
    Hearts In Atlantis (UK Proof pb 1999) VG
    Thinner (Uncorrected Advance Proof pb 1984) Special ABA Edition, Fair
    The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon (Uncorrected Proof Dummy, pop-up book hc 2004) blank white cover
    The Secretary of Dreams, Volume One (Proof pb 2006) "not for sale" written on side

Books
    The Stand (hc 1978 )
    The Stand - Complete and Uncut (hc 1990)
    Cujo (hc 1981)
    Christine (hc 1983)
    The Eyes of the Dragon (hc 1987) VG
    The Tommyknockers (hc 1988 )
    The Dark Half (hc 1989) VG
    Dolores Claiborne (hc 1992)
    Insomnia (hc 1994) red text, white cover
    Insomnia (hc 1994) white text, red cover
    Desperation/Regulators (hc 1996) two-book set with reading light, Still Sealed
    The Gunslinger (2nd ed hc 1984) signed by illustrator
    Song of Susannah (Artist Edition hc 2004) signed by artist
    The Dark Tower (Artist Edition hc 2004) signed by artist
    Dark Tower Hardcover Gift Collection (hc 1998 ) 3-Book slipcase Set by Grant, the gunslinger (3rd ed), drawing of the three (2nd ed), the wastelands (1st ed)
    The Talisman (hc 1984)
    Black House (hc 2001)
    The Talisman/Black House (Gift Set hc 2003) Grant, signed by Peter Straub & Rick Berry, numbered, slipcase
    Skeleton Crew (hc 1985)
    Nightmares & Dreamscapes (hc 1993)
    Danse Macabre (hc 1981)
    Geoff

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Geoff-

The largest part of the value lies with the ARCs, and secondarily, the UK first editions. I think your estimate of their worth is appropriate, although I did not take the time to price out each item. I trust my "eye" in this one. I know there is a "discount" to sell either on consignment or to another seller, but roughly 40% seems a bit steep to me. I guess it all depends on how badly you want both the space and the money.

The items you have that catch my eye I already have 1 or more copies of, but I always have an interest in things like the UK ARC DT VII and the orange Plume Drawing of the Three ARC.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Whew, that's a good sized collection.

I'd like to preface this by saying that I dont' follow Proof/ARC copies much (Jhanic would probably be better at this). So my valuations on your proof sections could be off a bit.

I just took out the calculator and started adding up a rough estimate on-the-fly and came in closer to $5,000. Most bookstores give 50-60% of a collections value so that would come in between $2,500 - $3,000

If you want the most cash, your best bet is to sell them yourself on ebay, but you save yourself a lot of work by selling it off at once.

Selling on consignment would only work for the higher value books, No one's gong to want to deal with the low value 1st editions.
    Thanks much,

The Collector www.stephenkingcollector.com
    --Your source for info on rare Stephen King--

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Something to think about for more value on them is piecing them out here too. We have a TON of collector resources and I would personally love to have a few of them.

As long is there isn't some kind of "numbered" thing or something that keeps them from being sold one or two at a time.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 567 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 511 ... LastLast