Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 567 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 201 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,525 of 14170

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Maybe they are "PC/proof" type unnumbered copies that someone added a "letter" to?
    The lettered edition of THE PLANT, PART 1 was clearly an afterthought. On the limitation page "and 26 lettered copies" is written in by hand along with the letter. But Parts 2 & 3 have the lettered limitation printed so they were clearly thought out beforehand.

THE EYES OF THE DRAGON limitation page makes no mention of a lettered state but there are apparently 26 red lettered copies and 26 black lettered copies. Regardless of the original intent, where the heck did they all go?

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

More new stuff to try to fit into my tiny brain. Thanks for the info Bob.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    A few years ago Lloyd Currey sold Kirby McCauley's set. I have no idea who bought it but I think it sold for $6K which was pretty high in those days.

I have sets signed to Bill Thompson (King's editor at Doubleday) and Kay McCauley (Kirby's sister and co-owner of the agency).
    Bob has two sets. OK, who is surprised?

I recall seeing a Lettered set once. Was that Chris's? Do you own a lettered set Bob?
    I have a lettered set. I don't know who bought Chris's though.
    Chris' set is a numbered set...and soon will be owned by someone other than me...so sad....

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps they went into the ether and have never actually been distributed. Kidding about the ether part, but not the last bit. What IF they were actually printed, but never given out for one reason of another? How did those other two make it into the collector's world?
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

THE EYES OF THE DRAGON limitation page makes no mention of a lettered state but there are apparently 26 red lettered copies and 26 black lettered copies. Regardless of the original intent, where the heck did they all go?
    According to Barry R. Levin: "There are also two other uncommon states not called out for on the limitation page: 1) a red lettered state, limited to no more than 26 copies for familial presentation; a black lettered state, limited to no more than 26 copies for presentation to close friends. "

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    A few years ago Lloyd Currey sold Kirby McCauley's set. I have no idea who bought it but I think it sold for $6K which was pretty high in those days.

I have sets signed to Bill Thompson (King's editor at Doubleday) and Kay McCauley (Kirby's sister and co-owner of the agency).
    Bob has two sets. OK, who is surprised?

I recall seeing a Lettered set once. Was that Chris's? Do you own a lettered set Bob?
    I have a lettered set. I don't know who bought Chris's though.
    Chris' set is a numbered set...and soon will be owned by someone other than me...so sad....
    Chris had a lettered set also. In the initial listing he sent me he had it priced at $10K.

He had a numbered set (including the red lettered EOTD) inscribed to Alex Berman of Phantasia Press. He had those four items priced at $9K.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

No, I meant SK's friend Chris Chesley...I have the set of the Plant inscribed to him, which is numbered. But, like I said, it won't be mine for too much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    No, I meant SK's friend Chris Chesley...I have the set of the Plant inscribed to him, which is numbered. But, like I said, it won't be mine for too much longer.
    OK. I understand now. I thought you meant Chris Cavalier.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Thoughts on plastic covers when a book already has a slipcase? Is this overkill? I have all DT books in slipcases and paperbacks as reading copies. Just wondering what the general practice is.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Thoughts on plastic covers when a book already has a slipcase? Is this overkill? I have all DT books in slipcases and paperbacks as reading copies. Just wondering what the general practice is.
    It's not overkill at all. In fact, if you need to take the book out of the slipcase the Brodart cover keeps the jacket protected as you slide it in and out.

My copies are Brodart covered and put in slipcase.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Good and bad.
    Broadart covers protect the dust-jacket, but IMO also contribute to, and hide defects. The tighter the fit on a slipcase the greater chance of cumulative damage to the book just by removal and re-insertion. There is almost always a vacuum on tight slipcases, and without great care and patience a nick or two can happen.

Most of the time I put a Brodart (or something similar) on the dust jacket but sometimes the book fits so tightly in the slipcase that the extra width of the cover makes it almost impossible to slide the book in and out. I have a few that I have to shake fairly violently to get them out of the slipcase.

Early in my collecting I Brodarted (is that a word?) everything. I'm getting more lax in my advancing years and often let them go uncovered. It depends on the book. King books most always get a cover. With other authors it is hit and miss.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Good and bad.
    Broadart covers protect the dust-jacket, but IMO also contribute to, and hide defects.
    That is something that Roy Robbins of Bad Moon Books taught me about 15 years ago. He said he ALWAYS takes the Brodart off of EVERY book that comes to him and inspects the dust jacket. I tend to do the same. They can hide many defects that you want to find out about sooner rather than later.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Good and bad.
    Broadart covers protect the dust-jacket, but IMO also contribute to, and hide defects.
    That is something that Roy Robbins of Bad Moon Books taught me about 15 years ago. He said he ALWAYS takes the Brodart off of EVERY book that comes to him and inspects the dust jacket. I tend to do the same. They can hide many defects that you want to find out about sooner rather than later.
    Good point Bob. I have found unexpected defects as well by removing the Brodart, mostly on older books. I actually once, had a happy surprise to find TWO dustjackets on a rare and out of print book. The dustjacket must have stuck together to be unnoticed. Plus I like all my Brodarts to be in pristine condition in my collection. Sometime they arrive quite dusty and full of scratches (the Brodart).

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have all DT books in slipcases and paperbacks as reading copies.
    Do read the limiteds! Feels soooooooooo good......

sk

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for all the responses. Basically... play it by ear seems to be the correct answer.

Number42 Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan has much to be proud of Dolan's Avatar

I have a few that I have to shake fairly violently to get them out of the slipcase.
    I got a good chuckle out of this, Bob. I find myself doing the exact same thing at times!

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolan View Post
    I have a few that I have to shake fairly violently to get them out of the slipcase.
    I got a good chuckle out of this, Bob. I find myself doing the exact same thing at times!
    My copy of HE IS LEGEND is terrible for that.

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

my copy of the gunslinger in the collectors slipcase is the same.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

ok... help me out guys.... I need my memory refreshed.

on the UK first edition Gunslinger Paperbacks....

I appear to have two versions -
    both by sphere, both with the same ISBN # and same copyright pages.
    both are priced:
    U.K. 6.99
    Aust,$16,99
    N.Z. $17.99

on the spine "The Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger"
    one is in dark purple
    one is in light baby blue (and the spine picture is basically monotoned blue)
    (and no... it does not look simply faded)

anyone know the difference?

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

one other question....

were there UK releases of the revised versions DT 1-4 ?

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Revised versions of 2-4?

There are identical versions of the 4 Viking books published by Hodder & Stoughton in paperback form. They also come in a 7 volume boxed set.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post

both by sphere, both with the same ISBN # and same copyright pages.
    both are priced:
    U.K. 6.99
    Aust,$16,99
    N.Z. $17.99

on the spine "The Dark Tower 1: The Gunslinger"
    one is in dark purple

I know there is a book club version, and also an edition without the illustrations. I don't have any of these to check.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Revised versions of 2-4?

There are identical versions of the 4 Viking books published by Hodder & Stoughton in paperback form. They also come in a 7 volume boxed set.

thanks, guess i'll have to keep an eye out for those...

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    ok... help me out guys.... I need my memory refreshed.

one is in dark purple

I never knew there were two editions - I've only got the light baby blue version.

sk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 567 FirstFirst ... 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 201 ... LastLast