Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 376 of 567 FirstFirst ... 276 326 366 374 375 376 377 378 386 426 476 ... LastLast
Results 9,376 to 9,400 of 14171

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    I read todays post about the long walk and then re-read the historical essay by Bev Vincent. Can someone clarify what happened with the Sword in the Darkness? sounds like a full book? do i already have a copy in my King unpublished????

He didn’t want to discourage King from writing something else, perhaps something more topical and relevant to the era, and he ended up providing chapter-by-chapter feedback on King’s next book, Sword in the Darkness.
    King apparently considers it unpublishable.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    So... in a nut shell guys... these books (like the pic that Grant show) might never have been given to collectors like they promised?
    That has long been the assumption. We assume that Robert (and Karen) pulled out all (or most all) of the copies with Whelan drawings for their own personal use. Karen sold a few copies with the smaller drawings to collectors but, to my knowledge, none of the larger color pieces have ever surfaced. We assume that Robert has them in his collection.

In the past and on more than one occasion our moderator, RF, has stated that when enough time has passed he will tell us the whole story. I think enough time has passed and I would like to know any additional information that may be available. IMO, it was one of the biggest and most dishonest rip-offs of collectors that I know of.
    Did Michael Whelan do the remarques "just because" that you know of Bob? Or was he contracted to do so? The reason I ask... if he did those to "surprise" his fans.. that never got them... well... I would be pretty upset.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

So... in a nut shell guys... these books (like the pic that Grant show) might never have been given to collectors like they promised?
    That has long been the assumption. We assume that Robert (and Karen) pulled out all (or most all) of the copies with Whelan drawings for their own personal use. Karen sold a few copies with the smaller drawings to collectors but, to my knowledge, none of the larger color pieces have ever surfaced. We assume that Robert has them in his collection.

In the past and on more than one occasion our moderator, RF, has stated that when enough time has passed he will tell us the whole story. I think enough time has passed and I would like to know any additional information that may be available. IMO, it was one of the biggest and most dishonest rip-offs of collectors that I know of.
    +1

I would also like to know!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Did Michael Whelan do the remarques "just because" that you know of Bob? Or was he contracted to do so? The reason I ask... if he did those to "surprise" his fans.. that never got them... well... I would be pretty upset.
    I don't know about Michael Whelan. I also don't really know anything definite regarding what did or did not go on within Donald Grant Books. I am just hypothesizing along with the rest of the Stephen King collecting world. I am hoping someone with the real story will eventually come forward.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I read todays post about the long walk and then re-read the historical essay by Bev Vincent. Can someone clarify what happened with the Sword in the Darkness? sounds like a full book? do i already have a copy in my King unpublished????

He didn’t want to discourage King from writing something else, perhaps something more topical and relevant to the era, and he ended up providing chapter-by-chapter feedback on King’s next book, Sword in the Darkness.
    It's about a race riot in an urban high school setting, influenced by John Farris and Don Robertson. More than King consider it unpublishable: it was rejected a dozen times. King has said that the book was marred by the fact that he was pawing over and trying to make sense of a relationship of four years that had just broken up.

Rocky Wood convinced King to let him publish a single chapter out of the book. Trivia: It is also known as "Good Day Sunshine"

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post

It's about a race riot in an urban high school setting, influenced by John Farris and Don Robertson. More than King consider it unpublishable: it was rejected a dozen times. King has said that the book was marred by the fact that he was pawing over and trying to make sense of a relationship of four years that had just broken up.

Rocky Wood convinced King to let him publish a single chapter out of the book. Trivia: It is also known as "Good Day Sunshine"
    Did you or anyone else you know read the story? is there a copy out there floating around where someone could send me a PDF? I love all 4 of his bachman books! i feel like he was way ahead of his time in his story ideas! Look at CELL for an example!

PS. Thanks for the information! I look forward to your historical essays the most!

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I've only read the chapter in Rocky's book. The full MS is in his archives, but I didn't have a chance to read it when I was there. I assume Rocky read it. I can't remember how extensively Steve Spignesi covered it in Lost Works.

Gunslinger Apprentice Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim will become famous soon enough Papaseraphim's Avatar

This is a quote from the grant page I posted earlier:

"Michael Whelan told us that he did drawings on 30 - 50 of the signature pages when he was signing them and we have no idea which numbered copies they ended up in. He sent us photos of two of them and one is posted here. If you receive one of these be aware that the value of these books are probably in excess of $1,000 as copies of the Artist Edition of THE DARK TOWER VII in which Michael made similar drawings sold on ebay or to collectors for over $1,200 each. I expect that most of these copies will remain undiscovered for years as many collectors never take the shrink wrap off their books.."

From the above I infer that they were done on Whelan's initiative.

The absence of a thing, this can be as deadly as the presence. The absence of air, eh?
    The absence of water? The absence of anything else we're addicted to.

- Baron Vladimir Harkonnen

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Papaseraphim View Post
    This is a quote from the grant page I posted earlier:

"Michael Whelan told us that he did drawings on 30 - 50 of the signature pages when he was signing them and we have no idea which numbered copies they ended up in. He sent us photos of two of them and one is posted here. If you receive one of these be aware that the value of these books are probably in excess of $1,000 as copies of the Artist Edition of THE DARK TOWER VII in which Michael made similar drawings sold on ebay or to collectors for over $1,200 each. I expect that most of these copies will remain undiscovered for years as many collectors never take the shrink wrap off their books.."

From the above I infer that they were done on Whelan's initiative.

Agreed. Sure sounds like it. They also have a pic of one of the remarques... wow... I would have been some happy to open my book and get that!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I probably should tell what I know, but I'm not sure what good would come from it. People have figured it out...

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

I guess it would be an urban legend forever, but i would love to know where those books are now. this story has been going on for years and we actually got to see a remarque! I find it to be fascinating. i would assume a precious few were able to obtain a copy from Ebay or Karen? But 30??? Where are they?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

But 30??? Where are they?
    Back East.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

I was not involved with what happened to said books.
    I was an employee.
    I had perks from being an employee.
    That is why I ended up with two.
    If you were an employee there, you probably woulda too.
    But as to what happened to the books I am not at liberty to say.

As to why Michael did the remarks, he was asked, by Robert, to do them and I believe he was paid to do them as well. But my memory sucks, so I am not 100% sure.
    I know there were not 50. There may have been 30-50 with the the KA symbol and Eye and such INCLUDING the remarks, but not all were "art" per say.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Nerak View Post
    I was an employee.

As to why Michael did the remarks, he was asked, by Robert, to do them and I believe he was paid to do them as well. But my memory sucks, so I am not 100% sure.
    I know there were not 50. There may have been 30-50 with the the KA symbol and Eye and such INCLUDING the remarks, but not all were "art" per say.
    Sorry to say but that is such a load of shit. Not to mention unethical. But I guess that's about as good an answer as we'll get.

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Talk to the owner of the business if you believe that the business was doing something unethical.
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

My Mood
    Lurking

I worked there for seven years.
    The things I could tell you!
    I would probably end up BACK in jail! Yes, I said back.
    I did bad things. I did time for it.
    I want to tell you everything.
    I feel that you SHOULD know everything! I honestly do.
    But I can't. I just can't do that to the business.
    Robert is not that bad a guy. I already hurt him.
    I can't spill everything. No matter what you say about me or to me.
    Maybe that's why I don't come here anymore.
    I talked to someone today who said this had come up again and I wanted to see what was being said.
    And seeing my name brought up in having something to do with it made me want to speak out.
    I was ONLY an employee.
    I did not make the decisions as to what happened to the books or how they were distributed.
    Or how much they cost.
    Or anything. Well I got to proof read some cool stuff and see everything before you all....
    I am sorry that you were promised something that you did not get. And believe me, the art is beautiful!
    I wish things coulda been different. But I can woulda coulda shoulda all I want and it's not gonna change a thing.
    And yeah, I am typing like I talk. You are lucky I am putting my Rs in or my New England accent would be ALL over this!

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Karen...Fess up....

was it really you that wrecked my Gremlin?

My Mood
    Lurking

Yeah, it was! Dude, why the FUCK would you own a Gremlin?!?!??!?!

My Mood
    Asleep

I talked to someone today who said this had come up again and I wanted to see what was being said.
    And seeing my name brought up in having something to do with it made me want to speak out.
    I was ONLY an employee.
    I did not make the decisions as to what happened to the books or how they were distributed.
    Or how much they cost.
    Or anything. Well I got to proof read some cool stuff and see everything before you all....
    I am sorry that you were promised something that you did not get. And believe me, the art is beautiful!
    I wish things coulda been different. But I can woulda coulda shoulda all I want and it's not gonna change a thing.
    And yeah, I am typing like I talk. You are lucky I am putting my Rs in or my New England accent would be ALL over this!
    This will forever be an urban legend, but we are learning a little more today! I just wish the whole truth would finally come out. I disagree with Jack Nicholson, I CAN HANDLE THE TRUTH. Someone else said THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE. I hold no ill will or animousity towards anyone, it is an interesting story, with no ending and lots of speculation! I hate SPECULATION. I am an accountant.

There really isnt much of a business to protect anymore. Grant is selling old books, old, old T Shirts and not much else.

Thanks! Glen

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Karen, I know you didn't have a hand in it but I think at this point a lot of people's perception of the company isn't great. It would be nice to have an answer, though thanks for providing what you could.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, it was! Dude, why the FUCK would you own a Gremlin?!?!??!?!
    well hell....because.... the T-Shirt is so darn cool...

My Mood
    Lurking

I was ONLY an employee.
    Or how much they cost.
    This will forever be an urban legend, but we are learning a little more today! I just wish the whole truth would finally come out. I disagree with Jack Nicholson, I CAN HANDLE THE TRUTH. Someone else said THE TRUTH WILL SET YOU FREE. I hold no ill will or animousity towards anyone, it is an interesting story, with no ending and lots of speculation! I hate SPECULATION. I am an accountant.

There really isnt much of a business to protect anymore. Grant is selling old books, old, old T Shirts and not much else.

Thanks! Glen

There are a select few who know the truth.

My Mood
    Inspired

I was ONLY an employee.
    Or how much they cost.

Thanks! Glen

There are a select few who know the truth.
    And for what it's worth I think someone should post the truth - even if they have to make an alias to do so.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll trade a limited edition Gremlin Tshirt - signed by the designer... for a Whelan ReMarqued Grant book....

just kidding... no way I'd give up one of my car T's

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I was an employee.

Karen,

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 376 of 567 FirstFirst ... 276 326 366 374 375 376 377 378 386 426 476 ... LastLast