Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 526 of 567 FirstFirst ... 26 426 476 516 524 525 526 527 528 536 ... LastLast
Results 13,126 to 13,150 of 14170

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Weedeater Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack people like to rub elbows with me Hunchback Jack's Avatar

Question about prices for books with movie adaptations.

There was an interesting discussion in the eBay thread about how the IT trailer might affect a lettered IT on the market. I'd like to hear people's take on how an upcoming or released movie might affect value of collectible editions of King's work.

Obviously I can see how the release of IT part two would increase sales of trade copies, as people who liked the movie would want to read the book. Similarly, I can see how some fraction of that group would want to acquire a nice edition, such as the CD gift edition, perhaps a 1/1 if they can get one, or even the signed numbered CD edition.

But does a movie release affect the market value of a high-priced item like a lettered edition? I would expect anyone willing to drop $5K+ on a book is not a casual bookbuyer, but someone who is already a King collector, and unlikely to be influenced too much by the movie release.

Is that the case? For the buyers/sellers here, what has been your experience of this?

HBJ
    “If you don't know what you want," the doorman said, "you end up with a lot you don't.”
    ― Chuck Palahniuk, Fight Club

Looking for SubPress Lettered::
    Angel's Game and Prisoner of Heaven (Zafon)
    Ilium (Simmons)

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchback Jack View Post

There was an interesting discussion in the eBay thread about how the IT trailer might affect a lettered IT on the market. I'd like to hear people's take on how an upcoming or released movie might affect value of collectible editions of King's work.

Obviously I can see how the release of IT part two would increase sales of trade copies, as people who liked the movie would want to read the book. Similarly, I can see how some fraction of that group would want to acquire a nice edition, such as the CD gift edition, perhaps a 1/1 if they can get one, or even the signed numbered CD edition.

But does a movie release affect the market value of a high-priced item like a lettered edition? I would expect anyone willing to drop $5K+ on a book is not a casual bookbuyer, but someone who is already a King collector, and unlikely to be influenced too much by the movie release.

Is that the case? For the buyers/sellers here, what has been your experience of this?

HBJ
    IT part 2 I believe will not increase the books... like the 1st one BUT may even drop as I again... believe the market will be somewhat overrun. In general.. yeah movie's def affect value. IF they are good.. LIKE the first IT. Did nothing for the Dark Tower as everyone hated it. But if we get a "A-LA Game of Thones" with the Amazon series? Yes... I think the books will go up over the various mediums.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

HBJ
    Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post

HBJ
    IT part 2 I believe will not increase the books... like the 1st one BUT may even drop as I again... believe the market will be somewhat overrun. In general.. yeah movie's def affect value. IF they are good.. LIKE the first IT. Did nothing for the Dark Tower as everyone hated it. But if we get a "A-LA Game of Thones" with the Amazon series? Yes... I think the books will go up over the various mediums.
    I have to agree with you guys for the most part. I can't see the film having all that much of an affect on any signed editions. As you stated anyone willing to fork over $500 and up for a "special edition" would have to already be a King collector or a serious "Movie memorabilia" collector. It would seem to me that the film could cause an impact with those serious "Movie Buffs" on the more pricey editions, but beyond that it should pretty much go as HBJ stated. Just my two cents is all.

Of course, on the other hand, God knows where prices could go (assuming Pt2 is a hit) on the no doubt numerous promotional items guaranteed to hit the market. Who knows what items like balloons, action figures, dolls, special DVD's, posters, etc, etc, will catch the fancy of the movie going and horror watching public. That could get a little crazy, but I don't see it bubbling over to collectible books in general. If its as good as the first installment it will certainly pique interest in a wider range of the public in anything 'IT". lol

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

No expert here by any means but I can't see a movie, any movie compelling a non-collector to spend big bucks on a book. Especially one that just plan on reading because they found the movie interesting. I don't know about you guys but most look at me funny when I even tell them I collect books. And really funny when you tell them how much you've spent or that they are worth. We're a small niche in the grand scheme of things.

I agree with WB that folks will spend a ton on trinkets (memorabilia) if they like something. Whether it be movies, actors, celebrities, sports teams, etc.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Successful movies usually get a new paperback release with the cover depicting something from the movie. But as nobody buys paperbacks anymore, and publishing houses are all struggling, even these are losing to ebooks.

The success or failure of a movie does not usually effect the collectabilaty or price of a limited edition book. Its a totally different market.

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Successful movies usually get a new paperback release with the cover depicting something from the movie. But as nobody buys paperbacks anymore, and publishing houses are all struggling, even these are losing to ebooks.

The success or failure of a movie does not usually effect the collectabilaty or price of a limited edition book. Its a totally different market.
    Just for the record E-book sales are declining.

Full year 2018 e-book unit sales -7 percent on 2017 Traditionally published e-books volume tracked through NPD PubTrack Digital was down-7 percent for the year with 160 million units sold compared to 173 million in 2017. This is a greater decline than we saw in 2017, when e-books were down -5 percent on the prior year. Combining print book sales from NPD BookScan with e-book sales from NPD PubTrack Digital, e-books represented about 19 percent of total unit sales in 2018, a slight decline compared to 20 percent in 2017. For those keeping track, 2013 was the height of the e-book market at 28% market share.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post

Full year 2018 e-book unit sales -7 percent on 2017 Traditionally published e-books volume tracked through NPD PubTrack Digital was down-7 percent for the year with 160 million units sold compared to 173 million in 2017. This is a greater decline than we saw in 2017, when e-books were down -5 percent on the prior year. Combining print book sales from NPD BookScan with e-book sales from NPD PubTrack Digital, e-books represented about 19 percent of total unit sales in 2018, a slight decline compared to 20 percent in 2017. For those keeping track, 2013 was the height of the e-book market at 28% market share.
    Just out of curiosity, are audio sales on the decline as well or is that included in your stats?

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sentinel View Post

Just out of curiosity, are audio sales on the decline as well or is that included in your stats?
    That report didn't have audio on it. The year end Publishers Weekly had Fiction Audio up 7% to last year, that's downloads and physical copies. I can tell you it's all downloads, nobody hardly ever buys a CD audio book. (except rabid Stephen King Completists)

Breaker Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell has a reputation beyond repute Garrell's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Thoughts on this signature

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Wish List:
    Any of the following flatsigned or inscribed-
    It, Shining, Salem’s Lot, Mr. Mercedes, The Stand
    Brother ARC, Seed ARC

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

I don’t know Sylvia So I cant confirm if that’s her signature or not. But. In my opinion opinion that is a great inscription and signature from king. Based on the inscription alone!!

Maerlyn's Imp HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH has much to be proud of HONKYTONKSMASH's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep its good

Load up the Spaceship with the Rocket Fuel

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe it to be 100% genuine

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I acquired a very cool piece. Almost call it Limited... and well signed. Anyone have or have seen?

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe tippy4 has(d) one.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Saw a few of those pop up on ebay at the time they were issued. Very cool, Kris.

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

That's an interesting form of support, imaginative.
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Kris
    Super great!

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice! I like it.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Very nice!

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I believe tippy4 has(d) one.
    I do indeed.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

HBJ
    What about the can of worms I am opening when mentioning multiple editions of the same title? True, the first edition of The Shining is valuable, but now with the more recent signed limited of the same comparable edition, that is valued more and people are wanting King's signature more with this signed limited, being limited. So the question then is, "Do the older editions lose some value because of the multiple editions being produced?"
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post

HBJ
    What about the can of worms I am opening when mentioning multiple editions of the same title? True, the first edition of The Shining is valuable, but now with the more recent signed limited of the same comparable edition, that is valued more and people are wanting King's signature more with this signed limited, being limited. So the question then is, "Do the older editions lose some value because of the multiple editions being produced?"

It's a long and convoluted answer:

NO

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

What is the real story about the Hodder MISERY flipback book? I find the prices on Abe Books (the only place I could find any), hard to believe. Do they reflect reality or are the sellers dreaming?
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    What is the real story about the Hodder MISERY flipback book? I find the prices on Abe Books (the only place I could find any), hard to believe. Do they reflect reality or are the sellers dreaming?
    There is no market for these. The people who collect oddities like this already have their copies. The ones on Abe, or anywhere else, will not sell.

Servant of Gan Roog has a spectacular aura about Roog has a spectacular aura about Roog's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    There is no market for these. The people who collect oddities like this already have their copies. The ones on Abe, or anywhere else, will not sell.
    The same goes for most of the older Turtleback editions. Sometimes hundreds of Dollars which surely nobody will ever pay for.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 526 of 567 FirstFirst ... 26 426 476 516 524 525 526 527 528 536 ... LastLast