Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 535 of 567 FirstFirst ... 35 435 485 525 533 534 535 536 537 545 ... LastLast
Results 13,351 to 13,375 of 14170

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Must be the heat wave...

Citizen of Gilead andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Before there was The Facebook, there was TheDarkTower. The shrink wrap question has been debated at irregular intervals for years. The majority of, but not all, collectors appear to land on the side of removing shrink wrap for three primary reasons:

1. Because shrink wrap is not archival plastic, it can damage the dustjacket over time.
    2. In order to inspect the book for any production flaws.
    3. To simply enjoy the book and its contents more fully.

Some collectors leave the shrink wrap on. Owner’s choice.
    Agreed
    Wanted:
    Carrie PS Publishing Lettered ‘G’
    Charlie the Choo Choo U.K. S/L #157
    Dark Tower Portfolio #157

Citizen of Gilead andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice andyg75 is just really nice

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

My own personal opinion: I believe that the shrinkwrap is not an archival quality covering, and so I removed it from all mine. But like Patrick said, it's all down to personal collecting preference. To each their own, and while people will always disagree, it's not worth arguing over. Peace!!
    Wanted:
    Carrie PS Publishing Lettered ‘G’
    Charlie the Choo Choo U.K. S/L #157
    Dark Tower Portfolio #157

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I believe that a few years back I heard that there are shrinkwrap machines that could be used to re-apply shrinkwrap onto books.
    Any idea of how to differenciate the "real" ones and those?
    I work at a press and we have these machines. I could wrap a book and you would never know. NEVER pay more for it. Get it opened before before you buy.

PS: Richard send me your Slinger and I’ll wrap it for you. I get what your saying but it really is that easy man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    One potential flaw here though Kris, when it comes to a shrink-wrapped Gunslinger, and that is the breathing holes. I had a Gunslinger in it's original shrink-wrap (I got it directly from Grant) and there were four breathing holes on the backside. Not sure if you could match those - I guess you probably could. I sold it to someone here on the site - not sure if they kept the wrap on. I, for one, always liked the idea of having it in the original shrink-wrap, but then, I also had one unwrapped to look at. I do get what you are saying about being skeptical of others selling one.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Must be the heat wave...
    Ya know, you might be on to something, it was pretty damn hot here yesterday..

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    I believe that a few years back I heard that there are shrinkwrap machines that could be used to re-apply shrinkwrap onto books.
    I work at a press and we have these machines. I could wrap a book and you would never know. NEVER pay more for it. Get it opened before before you buy.

PS: Richard send me your Slinger and I’ll wrap it for you. I get what your saying but it really is that easy man.

One potential flaw here though Kris, when it comes to a shrink-wrapped Gunslinger, and that is the breathing holes. I had a Gunslinger in it's original shrink-wrap (I got it directly from Grant) and there were four breathing holes on the backside. Not sure if you could match those - I guess you probably could. I sold it to someone here on the site - not sure if they kept the wrap on. I, for one, always liked the idea of having it in the original shrink-wrap, but then, I also had one unwrapped to look at. I do get what you are saying about being skeptical of others selling one.
    Hey buddy, you can. There is a tool that comes with it if you want them on the plastic. Some products would require them.

HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

106 is today's forecast high, 108 tomorrow.

Rabid Billybumbler Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook has a reputation beyond repute Cook's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

106 is today's forecast high, 108 tomorrow.
    Crap, 108 !! really, I'm flying there tomorrow.
    Damn it Jim. (Oh well, it's definitely worth it) 4 days of my kind of vacation heaven,.

“The battle between good and evil is endlessly fascinating because we are participants every day.” - Stephen King

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

We’re forecast to hit a balmy 70 degrees Fahrenheit today. Come on down.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It will be 72 inside the sports pub where I'll be watching today's Giants, A's day game. Pliny the Elder will be 35 degrees.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Pretty excited to get away from work, I'll be in Orange County sometime around noon.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    Pretty excited to get away from work, I'll be in Orange County sometime around noon.
    You'll be fine. Should only be ~90.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Just don't wear shrinkwrap, as it makes you sweat tremendously.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post

Hey buddy, you can. There is a tool that comes with it if you want them on the plastic. Some products would require them.

Thanks for the education. Of course, you'd have to know to do it in the first place, to keep it "original."

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just don't wear shrinkwrap, as it makes you sweat tremendously.
    Even if it is not archival? What about breathing holes?

seeking: ANYTHING DT related #246
    Ready Plyer One Sub Press S/L
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Kris,
    I truly understand the point your trying to convey.
    I also understand how shrinkwrap machines work, I've been collecting for a while now as well. I don't claim to know it all, but I'm doing OK so far.
    Again, I will disagree with your statement "it really is that easy man".
    No matter how awesome you are in your craft, you can't turn a sow into a princess just by wrapping it in plastic. (except for a horror story)
    But if your stating you would (for example) wrap a fine mint/mint as new unblemished gunslinger & jacket in shrinkwrap, risk damaging it, for possibly 10% more money.. I'll give you that... but what's the point?
    Anybody here could do the same, and many on eBay & ABE obviously try as well.
    That's usually what I'm most vocal about on the the DT.org site, Bullys, Liars & outright Cheats.

It's ok for all of us to have different collecting styles, and its also ok to change that style.
    Some people here collect everything (and I mean everything), some just limited ed's, some no limited ed's, some proofs only.
    Many on this site have thrown insane gobs of money at this just to get to the end and say "lookie here I'm the best, I've got it all", I'm ok with that, to each there own.
    Myself, I'm a slow and easy kind of collector.
    This is a true hobby for me, doing this for right around 3 decades now.
    I "now" tend to stick to what makes me happy, could change, has changed, my collection thread is pretty much my ongoing process of what I collect.
    Ok, I've rambled enough, I'm guess my point is, there is no blanket right and wrong to every aspect of this collecting disease we all share.
    But please.. because you believe your right & telling everybody everywhere to rip off the shrinkwrap from every book they own is NOT necessarily right.
    For sure.. if that is what you like.. so be it. I am just sharing my thoughts (and many others to my man). I can think of no reason to leave it on and I can assure you of this.... I would not risk damaging a book in my wrap machine. In fact, I am going to do it right now to a book I have here and show you how safe. quick and easy it is. I am not belittling your desire for them but rather trying to share that the shrink wrapped book on Ebay for 10-20% more could be as simple as me doing it in 10 seconds at a print shop or many other style like shops. Thats all brother.
    OK Kris, forgive me.. your right and I'm wrong.
    You've shown me he errors of my ways, I'm a changed man, I should never have doubted your wisdom.
    I' gotta go, I've gobs of shrinkwrap to remove.
    Man, instead of being like that... why not take something for what it is instead of being an asshat? I was trying to help you Richard. Do what you want bud, I don't fucking care.
    Cause at the moment I personally think your being a pompous know it all.
    How did you become the world authority on all things King.. give it a rest
    Seriously, I don't need help based on what "you" think is correct, or did I miss the king collecting book you published.
    Just cause you own a lot of cool shit doesn't make you the all knowing.
    I like you Kris but why don't you ease it back a bit.
    Whatever you say man. Won’t offer any of my “knowledge” again lol have a wonderful day Richard.

And I was BANNED from the facebook group. I hope you all get banned too.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

You were banned??? What for?

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Paragraph abuse.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post

Long story. We don't always agree.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I’ve never “got” the whole Facebook thing. Not the SK group on Facebook - I mean Facebook in general. Never appealed to me.

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post

Kris,
    I truly understand the point your trying to convey.
    I also understand how shrinkwrap machines work, I've been collecting for a while now as well. I don't claim to know it all, but I'm doing OK so far.
    Again, I will disagree with your statement "it really is that easy man".
    No matter how awesome you are in your craft, you can't turn a sow into a princess just by wrapping it in plastic. (except for a horror story)
    But if your stating you would (for example) wrap a fine mint/mint as new unblemished gunslinger & jacket in shrinkwrap, risk damaging it, for possibly 10% more money.. I'll give you that... but what's the point?
    Anybody here could do the same, and many on eBay & ABE obviously try as well.
    That's usually what I'm most vocal about on the the DT.org site, Bullys, Liars & outright Cheats.

It's ok for all of us to have different collecting styles, and its also ok to change that style.
    Some people here collect everything (and I mean everything), some just limited ed's, some no limited ed's, some proofs only.
    Many on this site have thrown insane gobs of money at this just to get to the end and say "lookie here I'm the best, I've got it all", I'm ok with that, to each there own.
    Myself, I'm a slow and easy kind of collector.
    This is a true hobby for me, doing this for right around 3 decades now.
    I "now" tend to stick to what makes me happy, could change, has changed, my collection thread is pretty much my ongoing process of what I collect.
    Ok, I've rambled enough, I'm guess my point is, there is no blanket right and wrong to every aspect of this collecting disease we all share.
    But please.. because you believe your right & telling everybody everywhere to rip off the shrinkwrap from every book they own is NOT necessarily right.
    For sure.. if that is what you like.. so be it. I am just sharing my thoughts (and many others to my man). I can think of no reason to leave it on and I can assure you of this.... I would not risk damaging a book in my wrap machine. In fact, I am going to do it right now to a book I have here and show you how safe. quick and easy it is. I am not belittling your desire for them but rather trying to share that the shrink wrapped book on Ebay for 10-20% more could be as simple as me doing it in 10 seconds at a print shop or many other style like shops. Thats all brother.
    OK Kris, forgive me.. your right and I'm wrong.
    You've shown me he errors of my ways, I'm a changed man, I should never have doubted your wisdom.
    I' gotta go, I've gobs of shrinkwrap to remove.
    Man, instead of being like that... why not take something for what it is instead of being an asshat? I was trying to help you Richard. Do what you want bud, I don't fucking care.
    Cause at the moment I personally think your being a pompous know it all.
    How did you become the world authority on all things King.. give it a rest
    Seriously, I don't need help based on what "you" think is correct, or did I miss the king collecting book you published.
    Just cause you own a lot of cool shit doesn't make you the all knowing.
    I like you Kris but why don't you ease it back a bit.
    Whatever you say man. Won’t offer any of my “knowledge” again lol have a wonderful day Richard.

And I was BANNED from the facebook group. I hope you all get banned too.
    "You all"? I got nothing to do with that group... I can't ban anything.
    And quit bugging me, I'm trying to get into my new shrinkwrap outfit.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You weren’t banned at Glenn. You chose to send me repeatedly passive aggressive stupid fuckin messages to start shit with me. Your more than welcome to come back anytime... just stop the bullshit. Easy as that.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Asleep

You weren’t banned at Glenn. You chose to send me repeatedly passive aggressive stupid fuckin messages to start shit with me. Your more than welcome to come back anytime... just stop the bullshit. Easy as that.

Yeah. Thanks!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Should factory shrinkwrap be removed? The definitive answer is...

What thread is this? Was there a question?

Oh yeah, should factory shrinkwrap be removed?

The definitive answer is...
    Spoiler:
    Yes,
    Spoiler:
    if you want to read it, or look at it, or touch it, or smell it, or see if it is signed, or see if there is even a limitation page, or see if it's actually a first edition, or if it's even the book you thought, or see if there is any mold, mildew, moisture, or glue seepage which caused damage, etc.,
    Spoiler:
    unless as a collector you decide that you want to leave it on for any number of reasons,
    Spoiler:
    such as the book is in a slipcase and the shrinkwrap isn't likely to cause any immediate damage, or it's a book that you are planning to flip and not really a part of your collection, (These two are the only reasons that I ever leave it on.)
    Spoiler:
    or you just prefer to leave it on because you think it's worth more that way, or it makes the book feel new, or because you've had that book that way for 30 years and you aren't going to change it now, or you just think it looks cool,
    Spoiler:
    or that's simply the way you like it, etc..
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah. Thanks!
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 535 of 567 FirstFirst ... 35 435 485 525 533 534 535 536 537 545 ... LastLast