Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 128 of 567 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 178 228 ... LastLast
Results 3,176 to 3,200 of 14175

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Huh. Short of actually reading all 2800+ posts RF directed me too, and picking up on the discussion here...

It's a damn shame, whatever happend to the art. Too bad especially, since it seems like Wheelan doen't even know either. Well, I guess that confirms that when I do buy my LSoE, I won't hold out for the full priced, wrapped books. No need if there is no possible reward.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the input on the artwork. I have an Alex McVey original en route as well. Once they are framed I'll post pictures!

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Originally Posted by Randall Flagg
    IMO, there are none left in the shrinkwrapped 1/5,000 (except perhaps in Robert Weiner's "barn"). It was a highly debated and touchy subject.

Originally Posted bt Wizardsrainbow
    Not to open the can of worms, but as a collector of remarques, it is VERY disturbing to me that virtually no remarques of any consequence surfaced. As a friend of Michael Whelan, the artist, he is as perplexed as I am as to what happened to the remarques he did. Law of averages suggests that at least a few would have made it into the hands of the people here, but they did not. I myself have 11 copies, have sold perhaps 40 more and have seen ZERO remarques.

It's a shame that even the Whelans are perplexed by the missing remarques, my guess would be they are with the Palavercon paintings that were suposed to be available to attendees for bid/purchase

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by oy-the-brave View Post
    The books with the KA or CK eye drawings were not part of the 30-50 remarqued books.

There have been quite a few of the KA/eye drawings that have shown up on ebay etc. I got one in my copy of the signed limited.
    How do we know these aren't included in the remarqued books? perhaps since so few have actually shown up in the hands of collectors, maybe these are actually what was originally referred too? or at least included in the 30-50 estimation?

Or is there some info out there that answers this question that I don't know? (apologies if so)

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

There are several thousand posts discussing, speculating.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

And the general consensus from those thousands of posts regarding why the eye and ka are not considered one of the 30-50 remarques is....?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

First you need to define the word "remarque" and then decide if the definition is inclusive enough to include the drawings (doodles really) of the eye and ka. A remarque (as defined on this site) is "any darned thing an artist or author (or any other person for that matter, i.e. publisher, editor, proofreader, butcher, baker, candlestick maker, vagrant, illegal immigrant, etc.) draws, doodles, paints, etches, engraves or causes to be put on a page in a book by any other method and isn't a simple signature or inscription." Personally I think that this should include the little doodles of the eyes and kas. But that is just my opinion.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jimimck View Post
    And the general consensus from those thousands of posts regarding why the eye and ka are not considered one of the 30-50 remarques is....?
    Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    First you need to define the word "remarque" and then decide if the definition is inclusive enough to include the drawings (doodles really) of the eye and ka. A remarque (as defined on this site) is "any darned thing an artist or author (or any other person for that matter, i.e. publisher, editor, proofreader, butcher, baker, candlestick maker, vagrant or illegal immigrant) draws, doodles, paints, etches, engraves or causes to be put on a page by any other method and isn't a simple signature or inscription." Personally I think that this should include the little doodles of the eyes and kas. But that is just my opinion.
    I think Bob is teasing a bit.
    Just me, but I would say the eyes and Ka symbols are "doodles". I would guess that each took moments to do.
    The single and double page intricate pieces are original art (whether called a Remarque or not) and took hours each. I doubt Whelan did 30-50 drawings in the books that each took hours to do. It wouldn't surprise me if MW drew hundreds of Eyes or Ka symbols.

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The reason the KA and eye doodles are not considered to be part of the Whelan "remarques" is that Michael Whelan told us they were not (I am not going to try to find the actual post that states this but I suspect it was in answer to a question from David (wizardsrainbow) to either Michael or Audrey Whelan and their response was the KA/eye doodles were not part of the 30-50 remarques).

Citizen of Gilead willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Would like to find a UK S/L of The Passage with the slipcase by Goldsboro books.
    The ones on ebay are running around $300.
    I think that is way overpriced.
    Thoughts?

Karl

My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by oy-the-brave View Post
    The reason the KA and eye doodles are not considered to be part of the Whelan "remarques" is that Michael Whelan told us they were not (I am not going to try to find the actual post that states this but I suspect it was in answer to a question from David (wizardsrainbow) to either Michael or Audrey Whelan and their response was the KA/eye doodles were not part of the 30-50 remarques).
    Ah - thanks for the info.
    First you need to define the word "remarque" and then decide if the definition is inclusive enough to include the drawings (doodles really) of the eye and ka. A remarque (as defined on this site) is "any darned thing an artist or author (or any other person for that matter, i.e. publisher, editor, proofreader, butcher, baker, candlestick maker, vagrant, illegal immigrant, etc.) draws, doodles, paints, etches, engraves or causes to be put on a page in a book by any other method and isn't a simple signature or inscription." Personally I think that this should include the little doodles of the eyes and kas. But that is just my opinion.
    I agree. I'd be happy with any extra "doodle" as it were and consider that a remarque. I hear what people are saying though, in that many peoples definition will differ and so hard to get a consensus.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

The consensus is that the 'eye' and 'ka' symbols are not worth all that much, both for lack of true rarity and general artisitc merit...but, sure, I have no argument with the remarqued definition. (I have one, but I don't think it's uber-rare or anything)...

Obviously, based on what we've seen, the biggest remarques MW did - if they appear - would likely command at or above the Dameron artwork. In fact, the two that have been sold hit about $1K each, if I remember right...it was a lot, I know that.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a question about the Viking Editions of "The Dark Tower Series" They don't seem to be worth very much right now, will the Viking editions ever increase in value? Will the viking editions ever be worth as much as the first edition Grant editions?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Because the Grant editions are the true first printings, I doubt the Viking editions, even the Revised Gunslinger, will ever be even close in value.

John

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post
    I have a question about the Viking Editions of "The Dark Tower Series" They don't seem to be worth very much right now, will the Viking editions ever increase in value? Will the viking editions ever be worth as much as the first edition Grant editions?
    I doubt that they (the Vikings) will ever increase in value much. I don't know the publication numbers but there are probably just too many of them out there. The thing about the Grant editions, to collectors, is that they are the "true" first editions and will probably always be desirable to collectors because of that and command a decent price.

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's been mildly interesting to me to see the prices rise a little though. They are selling for more than retail (~$30) and a 1/1 of the revised DT:1 goes for a bit more still, I've seen upwards of ~$70. This may be due to the ubiquitous nature of their BCE counterparts. I've yet to see an actual trade edition in used book stores. I've had to obtain mine from eBay as they were released before I was a true collector.

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

Somewhere I read there were 60,000 copies of the vikings made, I think from the Collectors web site.
    I really like these Viking editions, and they seem hard to find in fine shape, with a full # line and the price on the DJ.
    As far as increase in value, only time and the demand will tell.........

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

60,00 is what is reported, including in our Catalog-Gunslinger Revised-Viking 1st

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

I've not read the Viking Gunslinger revised edition, Is there that much difference from the grant ed.?
    Anyone read both and can comment on the differences?

Brian.....

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Mostly subtle differences and a few changes that help the later books tie together better. Somewhere in our Gilead section there is a comparison of the two.

Gunslinger Apprentice shibus is on a distinguished road shibus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I doubt that they (the Vikings) will ever increase in value much. I don't know the publication numbers but there are probably just too many of them out there. The thing about the Grant editions, to collectors, is that they are the "true" first editions and will probably always be desirable to collectors because of that and command a decent price.
    Unless of course it looks like this........

I guess it all comes down to a simple choice for me. "Get Busy Living, or Get Busy Dying".

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

60,000 for the 1st printing. There have been more printings since.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't even realize there were BCEs of the Viking reissues (it makes sense, of course). I bought my copies in a local bookstore here in The Netherlands in 2003, also before I was truly 'collecting'. All except THE GUNSLINGER (a 2nd printing) are true 1sts. I love the cover art of these books.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Because the Grant editions are the true first printings, I doubt the Viking editions, even the Revised Gunslinger, will ever be even close in value.

John
    I agree with John, the Viking editions will never see the 1st edition value. However, the value of the Viking editions in good condition with full number line has seen a value rise over the past year. Again, you have to make sure the full number line is there. Many releases after the initial 60,000 1st prints of each.

Mulleins

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Mostly subtle differences and a few changes that help the later books tie together better. Somewhere in our Gilead section there is a comparison of the two.
    Thanks, I'm going to read the series again soon, I believe I"ll get a reading copy of the Viking Gunslinger.
    It may be awhile, as I'm currenty reading The Hellfire Club by Straub...

Brian...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 128 of 567 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 126 127 128 129 130 138 178 228 ... LastLast