Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 567 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 517 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by riknofx View Post
    Hey all,
    I have a question... I have a scribner "first trade paperback edition Dark Tower VII" and I realize that as far as collecting these are pretty negligible, but still have to ask. The Illustration between pages 750 and 751 is Roland sitting in front of the Artist door is double printed-or-has two of the same illustration. Is this kinda error pretty rare or no big deal? Thanks for any info. I'm just starting my collection really (and its growing fast) but thought I'd see about the scribner p/b. Thanks again-
    Rick
    Its rare, but not valuable. I would take it back to where you bought it and get a replacement.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

If you're interested in trying it, why not offer it over eBay? There are some collectors out there that are interested in those sort of misprints, etc.

John

Along the Path of the Beam riknofx is on a distinguished road riknofx's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the info & suggestions. Thats about what I was thinking as far as the valuable part. Still kinda interesting. I have one more thing that I was wondering about-I have two copies of Black House, that are First Trade Edition w/the 2-10 number line by Random House. Right below the stated First Trade Edition is the letter "Q". On the other one under is the letters "DC". Pardon my ignorance if this is silly but was just wondering what they represented if anything. A friend of mine has a copy that has the "Q" also. Thanks again for any info.
    "Please be calm! Remember that these things exist on a different level of reality than the one your on now." -Doc#1/ Clotho:

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Very good question. I have 5 copies of the book, 2 say "Q", 2 say "DC" and one says "DH". I am not sure what that means.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Those are indications of which printer actually printed the copy you own. All are truey first edition, first printings. It's the only King book that I know of that shows a numberline starting with a 2 but is actually the first printing.

John

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Those are indications of which printer actually printed the copy you own. All are truey first edition, first printings. It's the only King book that I know of that shows a numberline starting with a 2 but is actually the first printing.

John
    hmmm... thanks john, i did not know that about the printer codes- i knew about the number lines, and that the books had coded letters... but the fact the letters represent the actual printer is new info. for me. i assumed they had a purpose - like maybe the week they were printed or something like that - but you've taught me something new today.
    mucho gracias.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

There was a big discussion about this back when the book was issued (I think the discussion was back on TDT.net, R.I.P.) and I think I remember that someone back then had which printer was which, too. Or I could be wrong about that--another senior moment!

John

Country
    Country Flag

Sweet. One less thing to wonder about... Ha, thanks again for the awesome info.
    "Please be calm! Remember that these things exist on a different level of reality than the one your on now." -Doc#1/ Clotho:

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to the site Rick--glad you found some cool info.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks alot. O.K. One more to throw out there... I dont know if this has been covered to death or not but me and the lady hit used book and thrift stores, Garage Sales, ect. and I was talking to someone in the thrift store and she pointed out a guy who comes in for SK books mostly and he had a little PDA type scanner giz and he was scanning all the ISBN# bars and I guess it tells you if the book is rare or $worthy$. I am obviously not a bookstore owner or working collector, but it was way cool and a little shady at the same time. I love the occasional thrift or garage score but this is a new level. The woman that worked there says there is three different people with these deals around they're store that come in daily. Wow.... so anyone know what they do exactly. I didnt get a chance to see its read-out but it seemed like a pda or cell phone scanner ala check-out style. Thanks for any info.,
    Rik

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The ISBN doesn't necessarily indicate that a book is rare, etc. Many of the subsequent printings of a book have the same ISBN, so that it's not an indication of a first edition, first printing. The best way to figure out if a book IS a first edition, first printing (which is usually what most collectors really want) is to know the various characteristics for that particular book.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Right on. I hear what your saying. I am on my way to learning some of the tips. Either way I'm definitely a hobby/small timer anyway but its awesome to have the resources like this site. Its pretty fun just learning the ropes, and now my favorite books seem to be the ones that I bought back in the day, and had no interest collecting.

Anyway, I was wondering what do you think the consumer with a scanner is gaining? Just curious. Thanks for the help john,
    Rik

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no idea.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyway, I was wondering what do you think the consumer with a scanner is gaining? Just curious. Thanks for the help john,
    Rik

Probably just another bill on their credit card from buying an electronic gadget.

Country
    Country Flag

Ha ha,
    Right on. Yeah I bet your right. Next time I go I'll check it out. I thought he worked there or something. Anyway thanks guys.
    Rik

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Rik

Probably just another bill on their credit card from buying an electronic gadget.

Welcome, Rik!
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I wanted to ask a question about the box Regulators and The Stand. I've always laid these down flat in my book shelves. Does anyone store these standing up, and does it not ruin the book itself? And also how about those trays which hold a book, or box in this case, at a 30 or so degree angle. Does this ruin a book after a while?

I'm just curious as I would like to display these books better on my shelves.
    Geoff

Hankerin' for poundcake gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec has a spectacular aura about gsvec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by gguthrie View Post
    I wanted to ask a question about the box Regulators and The Stand. I've always laid these down flat in my book shelves. Does anyone store these standing up, and does it not ruin the book itself?
    I've displayed my Regulators on its side for years and see no damage whatsoever to the book. I haven't done that with the coffin, though - thinking that one might be damaged easier since the 'box' isn't quite as tight and stable as the toybox. Would love to hear what others think!

This collecting stuff is a sickness! ~Patrick

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I keep my copy of The Stand in its original shipping container. It's on its side. I keep my copy of the boxed Regulators so that the picture on the cover is facing me, so I guess it's on its side. I've not seen any problems with the book either.

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've stored The Regulators with the pic facing out for years and see no problem with the book inside.
    I display my copy of The Stand on a specially made easel. I also put a small plastic block that was cut to size under the page block to prevent sagging. After many years like that, the book is in fine shape.
    I also store the box for The stand with the brass plate facing outwards. Since there is no book inside it, there is no problem.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the replies. I wonder if anyone has kept a The Stand upright with the book in the case?

btw, great work with the easel Jerome. A smart idea.
    Geoff

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Rik

Just a guess but the most logical thing I came up with is that the code is cross referenced to a data base which would pull details for the different states of the book(kind of like a collectors guide) ... thats kind of how the UPS guys little tablet thing works

Gunslinger Apprentice idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings has a spectacular aura about idlewarnings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My copy of The Stand has been upright in the case for years. No effect on the book as far as I can tell.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I know I said this before but Jerome, your bookcases look awesome. I remember the other pics and I really enjoy the view of 'em.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by idlewarnings View Post
    My copy of The Stand has been upright in the case for years. No effect on the book as far as I can tell.
    Thanks. I think I'll give it a try for a while and see.
    Geoff

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 567 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 67 117 517 ... LastLast