Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 567 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 107 157 557 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 14174

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never seen the original Stand in the larger format. My copies are all the smaller size.

John

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I've never seen the original Stand in the larger format. My copies are all the smaller size.

John
    Same here John. Do you think he means the Stephen King Book Club version? Not the red leather, but the other King club release.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

For the Stand, I don't think it matters. If I'm not mistaken, both the BOMC and the trade editions were the same size (and with the same lousy binding, too).

John

Gunslinger Apprentice wahlers will become famous soon enough

Mulleins,

Was there an edition in the Stephen King Library that had the same cover/spine art, but was 6.25" x 9.5"?

Would that be where my 6.25" x 9.5" copies of Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining and Night Shift would have come from? They don't have a price on the dust jackets, but aren't clipped were the prices normally are either. Also, The Shining just has front cover artwork instead of having a wrap-around painting like on the original (and bookclub) versions.

-Wahlers

P.S.

When I got my later printing of The Stand, I compared it with my "Bookclub Edition" of it. They are both the same height, but the Bookclub Edition is printed on thinner paper, and therefore the spine is noticably slimmer than the regular edition. Also, the Bookclub Edition has paper binding on spine (tan, if I remember right) instead of the cloth binding (black, I think) of the regular edition.

I definitely agree that even the "real" printing of the book feels cheap and I always have to be really carefully when I want to read it.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    For the Stand, I don't think it matters. If I'm not mistaken, both the BOMC and the trade editions were the same size (and with the same lousy binding, too).

John
    Quote Originally Posted by wahlers View Post
    Mulleins,

Was there an edition in the Stephen King Library that had the same cover/spine art, but was 6.25" x 9.5"?

Would that be where my 6.25" x 9.5" copies of Carrie, 'Salem's Lot, The Shining and Night Shift would have come from? They don't have a price on the dust jackets, but aren't clipped were the prices normally are either. Also, The Shining just has front cover artwork instead of having a wrap-around painting like on the original (and bookclub) versions.

-Wahlers

P.S.

When I got my later printing of The Stand, I compared it with my "Bookclub Edition" of it. They are both the same height, but the Bookclub Edition is printed on thinner paper, and therefore the spine is noticably slimmer than the regular edition. Also, the Bookclub Edition has paper binding on spine (tan, if I remember right) instead of the cloth binding (black, I think) of the regular edition.

I definitely agree that even the "real" printing of the book feels cheap and I always have to be really carefully when I want to read it.
    John, you are right about the same size with The Stand.

Wahlers, it sounds like your other editions are from the club.

Anyone else?

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yah I know the editions he is talking about, and they are later editions from the SK Library through BOMC... but I can't see I've seen the Stand issued as such. My guess would be that you are correct and they are from the Stand Uncut era so they felt they didn't need to reprint the original version of the story.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm looking for some help and I'm prepared to be perfectly honest.

The item below sold for $35.00 at auction to one of our new members. There was some discussion about weather or not it is a "not as collectible" BOTM edition. The shovel on the front is not cut out.

I really need an answer to this question as it's against my grain to sell something at auction WAY above it's worth. People have got some great deals out there this year but I'm not looking to move anything that isn't worth the money paid.

dyetye, if you read this. Hold tight, we'll work something out on this edition

The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Well..I paid that amount when it was released, so I guess it's okay.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Good point, thanks Ari

One for "send it"

I could not tell what originally sold for on the cover.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Most of them have been selling for $15 or less recently.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LISEYS-STORY-GIF...1%7C240%3A1318

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks so much for that, exactly what I needed to know.

So this is the gift edition for sure then?

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    So this is the gift edition for sure then?
    Yes.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the info, that pretty much seals the deal for me.

You guys are great as always.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I see no reason NOT to sell it to the person for the amount bid. It is for charity, and if a person "overbids" the cause is a good one. In essence, if the book is worth~$15, then the additional $20 paid is (in the USA-depending upon income) a tax write off from income.
    I suggest (unless you have already done so), you split the difference and reduce the "winning bid", to $22.50

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Jerome, that's pretty much exactly what I decided to offer.

I really appreciate the help you guys and I just need to make sure the correct research is done.

aka lindakins alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda is a name known to all alinda's Avatar

My Mood
    In Love

good deal !

The answer is within

all matter is energy, all energy is GOD

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sleeplessdwarf
    ]In the collecting questions thread you mentioned that 299 was a good price another member was starting his ebay auction at for S/L edition of Insomnia.. Do you still hold that opinion? I know it must seem a silly question but I really do not want to make a mistake at that cost. The member did not get any bids on 4 other items that have closed and I am currently the only bidder with 20 hours left. Any input would be great. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg
    I am not sure if I said it was a good price , or a fair price. In this market I wouldn't pay more than $300. $299 is not a "steal", but I feel it is a fair price.

Best,

Jerome
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeplessdwarf
    ]Yeah, I just read through again, and you mentioned it was a pretty decent price. I can live with "pretty decent". Yesterday on the ebay page where it shows similar items, someone had the same book for 700$. I think it was #800 something. If I remember right it did have at least one bid. Any guess as to why it sold for so much more? It was also a s/l. Would the fact that the one I am bidding on being a PC copy lessen its worth? If I have more questions I'll post them in the collecting thread. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg
    That is a lot to speculate on. Discussion on an individual auction, and the reason(s) it either commanded a significant price, or received no bids at all could render a wide range of opinions. Feel free (I encourage you) to post these questions and our personal ruminations in the Collecting Questions forum.
    There are many experts willing to help there. I am not a novice, but I am far from "the expert".

Pose the question there. Feel free to quote any or all of this PM.

Best,

Jerome
    Last edited by Randall Flagg; 03-30-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Clarify quotes

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

link to the auction?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You would think I would have been clever enough to think of that(or I would have thought).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

The 700$ one has ended so no longer in the link.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

P/C copies appeal to some and turn others off. Its really a personal thing. Given that, they are usually with +/- 10% a numbered copy. I myself have PC copies for my DT books, but try to avoid them outside the series. That said, a deal is a deal and I won't "reject" a book based on that.

As for price, I haven't been following the sales of Insomnia lately, but I would think $300 is towards the low end of its value.

Let me put it this way: if I was looking for a copy, I wouldn't hesitate to pay $300 for one.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks e taylor. It will be the only S/L I have atm if I manage to win the auction. 300 was the amount I/wife was willing to spend for my bday so I am happy if I win. I just wanted to get an idea of what others thought, and I started with Jerome since he was part of the talks when I first mentioned Carrie.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sleeplessdwarf View Post
    You would think I would have been clever enough to think of that(or I would have thought).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

The 700$ one has ended so no longer in the link.
    Well, I'm not knowlegeable enough to comment of value really. I just thought that those who are might need/want to see the auction before they could judge.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Brice, you are cool enough that an educated guess would have been ok. There would be a coolness factor included then.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, but my guess would not be educated. The best I can say is I'd absolutely trust the judgement of those around here.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

Considering my wife almost paid 250 for a BCE of Carrie, I will not be picky about the real thing Brice.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 567 FirstFirst ... 7 47 55 56 57 58 59 67 107 157 557 ... LastLast