Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 528 of 567 FirstFirst ... 28 428 478 518 526 527 528 529 530 538 ... LastLast
Results 13,176 to 13,200 of 14170

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

$50

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    $50
    Thanks!

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey all,

I didn't want to start a separate thread for this so hopefully some of you see this and in turn share your thoughts.
    I'm thinking of possibly selling my collection. Maybe keeping the firsts(only lacking Carrie and Salem's), several of the signed that are sentimental, and perhaps the gift editions to still have some beautiful books. Probably finish out the CD Doubleday editions. The rest of the flatsigned/inscribed and S/L's would be going. Again, only THINKING about this at the moment. It's not because I have to moneywise but because it's become almost an addiction at this point. I just finished paying off two books and immediately started paying on another. I'm 46 and this is money that could go to trips, go into a savings account, etc. I love collecting and I love my books but do I NEED them? No. I do consider the investment value. My plan has been to keep them until I retire and then sell. Who knows what the book market will be in 14-15 years? It's not like I have a huge collection to begin with. And I don't want to profit on his death either. I imagine signed books would soar in price after that but it would also make me feel icky for lack of a better term. Also, I could go before him! I have no one to pass these books on to. I don't have children and most of my immediate family are older. I would miss the thrill of a new book and the hunt for that right one but I would also have that money. I'm torn right down the middle and would love to hear from anyone who has sold their collections, considered it and not done it, etc. I wouldn't be able to visit this site anymore as it would be way too tempting.
    I would also sell through David.
    Thank you

Lori

P.S. to my dear anonymous person if you see this, your gift would NOT be included in a sale. See above sentimental

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Was that a collecting question, or more of a random thought?

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I sold a lot of my collection 15 years a go and immediately regretted it. End up replacing almost everything I sold as it just bugged me constantly.

Servant of Gan Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh has much to be proud of Beverly Marsh's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It was a semi collecting question couldn't find a pertinent thread so figured this was close enough. I wanted thoughts from people on keeping or selling a collection as it's a tough decision and I value input from members here.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Library Policeman View Post
    I sold a lot of my collection 15 years a go and immediately regretted it. End up replacing almost everything I sold as it just bugged me constantly.
    I thought I might feel that way too Alan. That's one of the things holding me back. Over the years I've sold a green mile S/L, Firestarter S/L, EOTD rebound signed, and honestly, I haven't missed them much. I do get a tiny pang occasionally when I think about The Green Mile though. If I did sell an IT S/L and Misery S/L would be involved and those are two of my favorites!

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beverly Marsh View Post
    I thought I might feel that way too Alan. That's one of the things holding me back. Over the years I've sold a green mile S/L, Firestarter S/L, EOTD rebound signed, and honestly, I haven't missed them much. I do get a tiny pang occasionally when I think about The Green Mile though. If I did sell an IT S/L and Misery S/L would be involved and those are two of my favorites!
    I would love to have an IT S/L but at this point, a VERY long payment plan would be necessary. I wish you the best either way you decide!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I would love to have an IT S/L but at this point, a VERY long payment plan would be necessary. I wish you the best either way you decide!
    Thank you Tommy!

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

We'd miss you around here for sure! Tough decision that I think a lot of us wrestle with from time to time.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It was a semi collecting question couldn't find a pertinent thread so figured this was close enough. I wanted thoughts from people on keeping or selling a collection as it's a tough decision and I value input from members here.
    I sold everything except a few books I feel strongly about. No regrets. Think about what makes you happy. If you're on a budget, think about what brings you more happiness: a book on a shelf or an experience you're missing out on because you bought the book. I still buy whatever books I want but I'm definitely a lot more selective and I no longer feel the need for a collection thread.

There's no right answer, only the answer you feel is right.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    We'd miss you around here for sure! Tough decision that I think a lot of us wrestle with from time to time.
    Thanks Brian. Same here. This place is where I discovered a lot of books and bought and sold them as well. Not to mention met some very nice people It would be too hard though I think. Sounds silly I'm sure but it would be like an alcoholic going to a bar with free jack and cokes all night. I'll be pondering for a little bit still, weighing opinions. I may decide to keep and you'll be stuck with me forever!

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Had every PS Anniversary Edition (including alt covers), The Stand is released I bought them all again (at a loss), and happy man again.

But . . Still makes me a sick sick man. But misery loves company so here I am! Ha!

The minimalist approach probably fits best- Does this material object/collecton improve my life and bring me joy? I sometimes wonder (like when a S/L Misery Is snagged from my cart while completing checkout) But If the answer is yes? You are good.

Also. . . I try to not consider selling during financially difficult times. I would hope to sell because I want to, not because I feel I NEED to.

seeking: anything DT related #246
    Night Shift Anniversary Ed. (blue skull cover)
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I sold everything except a few books I feel strongly about. No regrets. Think about what makes you happy. If you're on a budget, think about what brings you more happiness: a book on a shelf or an experience you're missing out on because you bought the book. I still buy whatever books I want but I'm definitely a lot more selective and I no longer feel the need for a collection thread.

There's no right answer, only the answer you feel is right.
    Thank you for the reply. Much appreciated. That's kind of where I'm leaning now. Keep the ones that mean something, continue to buy certain ones within a specific price range, and move on with life.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I have seen many collectors come and go over the years I have been on this site. I have noticed that collectors who obtain their collections quickly, i.e. only a couple of years, never stay around long and sell their collections off.

Easy come, easy go.

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Brian. Same here. This place is where I discovered a lot of books and bought and sold them as well. Not to mention met some very nice people It would be too hard though I think. Sounds silly I'm sure but it would be like an alcoholic going to a bar with free jack and cokes all night. I'll be pondering for a little bit still, weighing opinions. I may decide to keep and you'll be stuck with me forever!
    Not a bad thing But like Paige said; if it's keeping you from other things and sounds like it might be a bit of burden, let it go. Don't want I shoulda coulda when you look back. I'm a collector on a budget as well so the high end stuff is usually always out of my reach. You could modify the way you collect also to enjoy other things.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey all,

I didn't want to start a separate thread for this so hopefully some of you see this and in turn share your thoughts.
    I'm thinking of possibly selling my collection. Maybe keeping the firsts(only lacking Carrie and Salem's), several of the signed that are sentimental, and perhaps the gift editions to still have some beautiful books. Probably finish out the CD Doubleday editions. The rest of the flatsigned/inscribed and S/L's would be going. Again, only THINKING about this at the moment. It's not because I have to moneywise but because it's become almost an addiction at this point. I just finished paying off two books and immediately started paying on another. I'm 46 and this is money that could go to trips, go into a savings account, etc. I love collecting and I love my books but do I NEED them? No. I do consider the investment value. My plan has been to keep them until I retire and then sell. Who knows what the book market will be in 14-15 years? It's not like I have a huge collection to begin with. And I don't want to profit on his death either. I imagine signed books would soar in price after that but it would also make me feel icky for lack of a better term. Also, I could go before him! I have no one to pass these books on to. I don't have children and most of my immediate family are older. I would miss the thrill of a new book and the hunt for that right one but I would also have that money. I'm torn right down the middle and would love to hear from anyone who has sold their collections, considered it and not done it, etc. I wouldn't be able to visit this site anymore as it would be way too tempting.
    Thank you

Lori

P.S. to my dear anonymous person if you see this, your gift would NOT be included in a sale. See above sentimental
    I've been selling some of my books of late. I have been at odds with myself as well, but in the end, some house projects just needed to get done. The way I look at it, is book collecting has an ebb and flow to it. Most items can be repurchased down the road if you/I want to get back in the game. For now, the only books I am truly married to are my Dark Tower editions and my copy of IT. Good luck in making your decision.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by kingfan2323 View Post
    Had every PS Anniversary Edition (including alt covers), The Stand is released I bought them all again (at a loss), and happy man again.

But . . Still makes me a sick sick man. But misery loves company so here I am! Ha!

The minimalist approach probably fits best- Does this material object/collecton improve my life and bring me joy? I sometimes wonder (like when a S/L Misery Is snagged from my cart while completing checkout) But If the answer is yes? You are good.

Also. . . I try to not consider selling during financially difficult times. I would hope to sell because I want to, not because I feel I NEED to.

seeking: anything DT related #246
    Night Shift Anniversary Ed. (blue skull cover)
    And that is the pertinent question because it DOES bring me joy. It also brings headaches. Lol.
    I would be keeping my PS editions for now too

and thank you for the reply.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    I have seen many collectors come and go over the years I have been on this site. I have noticed that collectors who obtain their collections quickly, i.e. only a couple of years, never stay around long and sell their collections off.

Easy come, easy go.
    True true. Definitely another way to look at it. I've been going at it for a few years now but not nearly as long as you and others on here.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Hey all,

Thank you

Lori

I've been selling some of my books of late. I have been at odds with myself as well, but in the end, some house projects just needed to get done. The way I look at it, is book collecting has an ebb and flow to it. Most items can be repurchased down the road if you/I want to get back in the game. For now, the only books I am truly married to are my Dark Tower editions and my copy of IT. Good luck in making your decision.
    Thanks so much for the reply. Much appreciated.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I should clarify that I'm not in any debt, everything is paid for(or being paid for). it's more of a matter of when does it end? I wrote this in a PM to someone who contacted me. Do I do this until I die? Who gets the books? A Goodwill? No thanks. lol. I just wonder if I don't stop now or soonish when will I?

I apologize for derailing this thread a little but I do appreciate everyone's input.

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I have given it thought, for many of the same reasons. Every time I buy an expensive book, I wonder how long it pushed out my retirement date. I keep rationalizing, that if I feel it is holding back my retirement, I can always liquidate them. But, since I feel I am closer to the finish line then the starting line, that I will keep going. I may have to give up notions of owning some of the more expensive items like Asbestos Firestarter or Lettered Misery.
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

The Road Virus vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent is a splendid one to behold vincent's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

thanks everyone for this interesting discussion.

If I were in your shoes, Lori, I think I would do a "trial run" first: wait for an occasion to come up where you would need funds, choose one book to sell, and see how it goes and how you feel about it afterwards. There might be too high a risk of regretting it if you do it all in one go.

I agree fully that the addictive nature of it is a pain. Seeing a listing - convincing yourself you cannot pass this one up - waiting waiting for the package - then ten minutes of utter bliss - then thinking: ok what's next? But I'm getting better at self control, so I guess there may be a balance to be found there somewhere...

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

There’s a middle ground between full speed ahead and selling it all. Perhaps just take a breather where you enjoy what you already have for a while and decide later when or if you start buying again.

Personally, with few exceptions, I stopped buying modern unsigned U.S. First Editions quite some time ago. They are mass produced by the millions. I’m sure I can fill in later if so desired. Saves money over time and saves a lot of shelf space.

Ultimately, of course, do whatever works for you.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

When the zombie apocalypse arrives (soon, I hear), the more Stephen King books you have, the better. They can be used as fuel to keep you warm at night, and to make torches you can use to set the m**********n' walkin' dead dudes on fire. Which can also keep you warm if you stay close to them.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 528 of 567 FirstFirst ... 28 428 478 518 526 527 528 529 530 538 ... LastLast