Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 159 of 567 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 161 169 209 259 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 14174

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Gunslinger Apprentice stevohump will become famous soon enough stevohump's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

One more quick question to tack on the last one. For me ( i think most would agree) one of the best parts about getting a new book is deciding how to display it on my shelf. I was wanting some tips on bookshelf decorum and properly displaying them. For instances I have a "My Pretty Pony" turned on its side because it would not fit any other way. Is this OK. This may seem real novice or newbyish but i want to make sure I'm doing as much stuff right as I can. Thanks everybody

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stevohump View Post
    One more quick question to tack on the last one. For me ( i think most would agree) one of the best parts about getting a new book is deciding how to display it on my shelf. I was wanting some tips on bookshelf decorum and properly displaying them. For instances I have a "My Pretty Pony" turned on its side because it would not fit any other way. Is this OK. This may seem real novice or newbyish but i want to make sure I'm doing as much stuff right as I can. Thanks everybody
    For ideas about how to display books, I'd recommend checking out:

a. the Bookcases thread

b. the How to display oversized books thread

c. people's Collections threads in that subforum.
    Last edited by Patrick; 07-07-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: links
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Shrinkwrap can also hide a multitude of sins. Missing pages,bound upside down, blank pages, ect.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Always remove shrinkwrap!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Stephen, there's no right or wrong way of collecting and displaying. Just go for what you like best. If you're looking for inspiration, check out the threads from Patrick's post.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stevohump View Post
    Hi all,
    I looked around for this topic but could not find it. So, i thought i would ask. When it comes to S/L edition or just Gift editions, how much difference does removing the original shrink wrap really make to the edition. I want to maintain the value of the book, but i definitely want to be able to enjoy it. I welcome all opinions. Thanks
    Several members here have found faults in their books when removing shrinkwrap. Pages folded, pages missing or wrongly bound, or numbered incorrectly. They are usually replaced by the publisher.

I always remove the shrinkwrap to check all is okay. I would hate to have a S/L that had faults, and I could not return it, because it was years after the release.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To me, you can't fully enjoy your book if it is still in shrinkwrap. Opening the book, turning a few pages, feeling the quality of the paper, looking at the signatures, seeing that number penned on the limitation page (your very own number!), seeing the words "First Edition" or "special limited edition" or whatever--isn't that a major part of the collecting experience? And what if your book has special artwork (ala the Grant Dark Tower editions)? If all you want are shrinkwrapped books on a shelf, hell, those could be any ol' books and you'd hardly know the difference b/c you can't even open them!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oh, and I have had to return a book to Cemetery Dance becasue about 8 pages were missing. So there you go--proof positive of what some others have mentioned.

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

I seem to remember reading that the shrink wrap can damage the book over a long period of time. In fact I thought I read it in one of the threads here on TDT. If the shrink wrap is not acid free it can cause damage, no?

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a link to my best example of what you might not find if you don't open that shrinkwrap:

http://www.stephenkingcollector.com/...&hash=260740b5

It's also posted here in the forums somewhere, but damned if I can find it. Open that shrinkwrap!!!
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a couple of Dark Tower Graphic novels in shirk wrap. The Long Road Home had all those special editions. I only opened the regular trade release. I thought that keeping the special releases in shrink wrap would increase the value. A book in shrink wrap would be worth more (or more collectible) than one that wasn't.

I have found that over a period of time the shrink wrap stats to tear anyway. I keep the graphic novels in a short box and the shrink wrap still gets messed up.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

To prevent sun fading, you could buy thermal insulated curtains. Plus insulated window blinds. (This is what I do)

Gunslinger Apprentice sublimicals is on a distinguished road sublimicals's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Gunslinger Dustkacket?

I hope this is the right thread to post this in.

I am looking for a Gunslinger Dustjacket for the GRANT
    1984 2nd printing

If anyone can lead me to one at a good price I would be grateful

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

I found this on my shelf today. It was next to a 1st DJ with the usual white title and I noticed this one had a dark gold title. When I looked closer I discovered there is no text on the inside flaps and no ISBN. The book is a first trade, first printing. I may have bought this but really dont remember and I dont know what it is. Is this a dj design that wasnt used as the final or is it a book club dj maybe?

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Is this a dj design that wasnt used as the final or is it a book club dj maybe?

I tend to call these proof DJs. They are usually sent out with the uncorrected paperback proofs.

Several of the members on here collect these, but I've not seen a Dark Half one before.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Me neither and yes, it is what I'd call a proof DJ (I learned that here). I have proof DJs of EYES OF THE DRAGON, ROSE MADDER, DESPERATION and THE REGULATORS. Not to be confused with the variant DJs with text on the inner flaps.

Citizen of Gilead olverts will become famous soon enough olverts will become famous soon enough olverts's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I found this on my shelf today. It was next to a 1st DJ with the usual white title and I noticed this one had a dark gold title. When I looked closer I discovered there is no text on the inside flaps and no ISBN. The book is a first trade, first printing. I may have bought this but really dont remember and I dont know what it is. Is this a dj design that wasnt used as the final or is it a book club dj maybe?

I have that one also
    I think the design on the proof DJ looks better than the regular

My Mood
    Twisted

Interesting. Now that I know what it is Im interested in finding a few more. Wish I knew where I got this one from. I also like this design better than the other one, Olverts.

Citizen of Gilead olverts will become famous soon enough olverts will become famous soon enough olverts's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would like to find some more too ! Got mine from abebooks , havent found any other proof DJ´s so far .
    I think there was a discussion a while back about proof DJ´s ,

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a proof dust jacket for the UK Lisey's Story (it's VERY scarce):

The one for the UK On Writing:

And one of the ones for the US Rose Madder:

I like to pick these up when I get a chance, but they are not my major focus. I have a number of others, but those don't vary too much from the regular issue. For example, I have proof dust jackets for both the black and white UK Black House, but the only difference is that the price is shown as £0.00.

John

My Mood
    Twisted

I really like those. Especially the Liseys Story

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

From what I have learned on this thread I have decided to remove the shirk wrap from my graphic novels.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I really like those. Especially the Liseys Story
    Yeah, that Lisey's Story cover is cool.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

+ Reply to Thread
Page 159 of 567 FirstFirst ... 59 109 149 157 158 159 160 161 169 209 259 ... LastLast