Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 133 of 567 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 131 132 133 134 135 143 183 233 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,325 of 14173

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    If I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere that Doubleday ran out of true first editions, so they put a price sticker on some book club editions and sold those. It's possible that you got one of those and that someone had taken the price sticker off.

John
    Thanks John. Mystery solved!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The trade and BC editions have different colors too (the book, not the DJ). The trade is red and black, the BCE is... cream? I don't know the exact color, nor what it's called in English.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

From The Catalog:

Quarter bound in black cloth with red boards having white pastedowns. 20,000 First Printing

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    The trade and BC editions have different colors too (the book, not the DJ). The trade is red and black, the BCE is... cream? I don't know the exact color, nor what it's called in English.
    Mmm...mine is red & black.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    I've seen BCE's of NIGHT SHIFT in both the red/black and the light brown (cream?) color. I'm pretty sure yours is a BCE based on the description. There was one for sale on eBay about a month ago....BCE, red and black, S52 on last page.

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Mears View Post
    I've seen BCE's of NIGHT SHIFT in both the red/black and the light brown (cream?) color. I'm pretty sure yours is a BCE based on the description. There was one for sale on eBay about a month ago....BCE, red and black, S52 on last page.
    Thanks Bob. A fun exercise.

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not that I'll probably ever have to worry about it, but now I'm confused (a pretty normal occurence). Going through the last several post I come up with:

A 1st Night Shift has S52 on pg 336 -- a BCE might also have S52 on pg 336
    A 1st is red & black -- a BCE is either red & black or light brown (cream).

Aside from the price on the dust jacket (which only tells you the dust jacket is a 1st) what are the differences between 1st & BCE?

What am I missing?
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dolso View Post
    Not that I'll probably ever have to worry about it, but now I'm confused (a pretty normal occurence). Going through the last several post I come up with:

Aside from the price on the dust jacket (which only tells you the dust jacket is a 1st) what are the differences between 1st & BCE?

What am I missing?
    The statement of "FIRST EDITION" on the copyright page.

Citizen of Gilead Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso is just really nice Dolso's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolso View Post

What am I missing?
    The statement of "FIRST EDITION" on the copyright page.
    Oh......Yea.......OK, that too....... told you confusion was pretty normal!
    www.bookslipcase.com

Selling my collection of books and some cases

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Do you guys put Brodart protectors on books inside traycases? I put one on the copy of FDNS I just got, but now the traycase doesn't close completely if lying flat. Just curious as to what everyone else does. I don't have many traycase books...

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Do you guys put Brodart protectors on books inside traycases? I put one on the copy of FDNS I just got, but now the traycase doesn't close completely if lying flat. Just curious as to what everyone else does. I don't have many traycase books...
    I used to put a dj protector on every book in my collection that had a dj. Now I don't put one on books with a slipcase or traycase. Just got lazy I guess. Sometimes a book won't slide back into a slipcase easily if it has one on. I usually take those off. If you don't like the way the book now fits in the traycase I would definitely take the protector off.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't use a protector on any book I own. Seeing all that plastic would really spoil the fun of displaying them.
    And reading them...

sk

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I went ahead and took them off my copies of FDNS and Legacies - the traycases fit much better now

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    I don't use a protector on any book I own. Seeing all that plastic would really spoil the fun of displaying them.
    And reading them...

sk
    I actually think my books look great with the protective covers on them. It doesn't look 'plastic'-like at all, the material is very thin and transparent. But: to each his own! I haven't applied covers to my slipcased books but almost all my other hardcovers have them now. As for reading the books - I read my hardcovers without their DJ's on.

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm with Michaël on this one, DJ's stay on during reading to protect boards, Brodarts stay on to protect jackets.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If Brodarts are practically invisible, that's another story.
    But I've seen some photos of collections here where this was definitely not the case.
    Must have been some other material.

sk

Citizen of Gilead thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim will become famous soon enough thegreattim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, I guess it's all how you define practically invisible and transparent. They mostly look like library books without the stickers or numerous scuffs and dirt to the plastic covers. Which in turn does allow them to be less noticeable. But they are clearly still there.

I've had people ask me if I steal all my books from libraries, because they don't know any better.

Country
    Country Flag

No, they're definitely not invisible. I meant that it doesn't look as if there's a plastic bag around the book. Applied correctly they're almost seamless and they give your books a shiny, vibrant quality that I like.

Country
    Country Flag

Yup. Though they do make the photography of such books a b*tch. For my new books being added to threads for one reason or another, I take the picture before application of the Brodart now.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree, Brodarts are always nice to have (slip/traycase considerations aside) and do not lower the viewing quality of dustjackets. However they DO make it harder to take good photographs. The flash reflects and also highlights any scratches in the Brodart that you cannot normally otherwise see. I always think its better to have those scratches in the Brodart cover than on the dustjacket itself.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Is the book Stephen King Collectibles: An Illustrated Price Guide an interesting book? I don't care about the book values since they are 11 years old, and a lot of book pictures can be found right here online, but I was wondering if it had a lot of other useful information in it.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I consider it a fantastic read. It's a snapshot of the best information (not always correct) to be had in a pre-internet time of King collecting.

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I used to put a dj protector on every book in my collection that had a dj. Now I don't put one on books with
    a slipcase or traycase. Just got lazy I guess. Sometimes a book won't slide back into a slipcase easily if it has one on. I usually take those off. If you don't like the way the book now fits in the traycase I would definitely take the protector off.

I use Brodart dj protectors that do not have a paper backing, especially for the books that have a slipcase. The dj protectors with the paper backing are just way to bulky. The dj protectors without the paper are easier to get an exact fit on the dust jacket.

I put dj protectors on books with slipcases because I want to protect the corners and edges from being rubbed. Plus I like all the protection I can get when it comes to expensive books.

Is the book Stephen King Collectibles: An Illustrated Price Guide an interesting book? I don't care about the book values since they are 11 years old, and a lot of book pictures can be found right here online, but I was wondering if it had a lot of other useful information in it.
    Having been around back then and helping George compile information for that book, it is, for me, a trip down memory lane to leaf through the book and read the descriptions. But I just love the good old days. I have saved so many catalogs, price lists, etc. from the twenty plus years I have been collecting King and I just love to go through them periodically and look at prices.
    George spent a couple of days with Charlie Fried photographing books for the guide. It is obvious, to me anyway, that they got lazy towards the end. Many of the photos still show the books in storage bags. A few years ago George was talking about updating the info in a new edition. I made several offers for him to come to Amarillo and have the two of us really do the photos right. He made tentative plans to do that but it is obvious that he has now moved on to other ventures and has no current interest in updating the guide.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

The Beahm book? It's great...like RF said, an interesting read, and even the prices aren't totally out-of-whack.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 133 of 567 FirstFirst ... 33 83 123 131 132 133 134 135 143 183 233 ... LastLast