Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 194 of 567 FirstFirst ... 94 144 184 192 193 194 195 196 204 244 294 ... LastLast
Results 4,826 to 4,850 of 14174

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I do keep a little of that old stuff though for when I have a book to ship though.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I appreciate everyone's responses. I can see why some would want to slit the wrap but keep it on otherwise. I guess I'll never understand those who don't open the only copy they have.

Gunslinger Apprentice RIC #520 will become famous soon enough RIC #520 will become famous soon enough

tippy4 .. looks like you embraces diversity..

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I always remove as little as possible of the shrinkwrap to keep the book/slipcase clean. Sometimes you have to completely remove it in the case of a traycase otherwise you wouldn't be able to remove the book. I do the same thing with DVD/BD's. It's an OCD thing.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    So I know everyone has their preference about shrinkwrap - some folks like to keep books sealed, others like to tear the wrap off completely. Does anyone feel that the partially slit open wrap adds any value to a book? I always see people say to slit the wrap so you can take the book out, but to leave the wrap intact. Personally, I don't do that. I remove the wrap completely and toss it. Just curious as to why some people feel the wrap is so important. Even if it has descriptive info on it, does it really matter? Like for the Wind Through the Keyhole. The limitation page tells me all I need to know about the book, and it is easy to distinguish the signed book from the facsimile book, so why keep the wrap on it?
    Sometimes I take the wrap off.

Sometimes I leave it sealed.

Sometimes I slit the end so I can take the book in and out of the slipcase (the shrinkwrap keeps the slipcase clean).
    That is what I do. I don't like to be predictable.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't take it off for years, but then one of you mentioned that it could sometimes adhere to the jacket. That made sense to me since I doubt that it is material that is "archive stable" so mine has all come off and done up in Brodart covers. The bookcase itself is out of the sun, closed up, and with a layer of parchment paper sitting on the top to minimize the dust. I figure that's the best I can do.

It ended up being a good thing because it showed a previously hidden flaw on a book that had been in a slipcase.

So I am in the "remove it" column now. FWIW.

Demon of the Prim skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack is a jewel in the rough skyofcrack's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TCCBodhi View Post
    I didn't take it off for years, but then one of you mentioned that it could sometimes adhere to the jacket. That made sense to me since I doubt that it is material that is "archive stable" so mine has all come off and done up in Brodart covers. The bookcase itself is out of the sun, closed up, and with a layer of parchment paper sitting on the top to minimize the dust. I figure that's the best I can do.

It ended up being a good thing because it showed a previously hidden flaw on a book that had been in a slipcase.

So I am in the "remove it" column now. FWIW.
    I would never leave a book with a dustjacket shrinkwrapped unless it was a duplicate. I always wrap them in plastic covers even if they are in slipcases. I keep the shrinkwrap on the slipcases to protect them from dirt/dust. Yes, the material is probably not archive-stable but short of putting each slipcased book in a large mylar bag (and some would be very large) I don't know what to do. As long as you store your books in a cool, dry place I wouldn't think the shrinkwrap would be a problem.

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

What is the prime driver between the difference in value of the SOD I and II slipcased editions? SOD I is out of print and now sells on the secondary market at significant premium above issue price. SOD II has the same print run, but still hasn't sold out, even though CD routinely has 50%-off sales. It seems like there are an awful lot of people who bought SOD I and have held on to it (it's relatively rare to see one for sale on ebay) but didn't buy SOD II. Is it as simple as "the stories are better in SOD I"?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think people bought Number One, looked at it, then stored it and when Number Two came out they decided based upon what they had previously seen to not buy it.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

This was probably asked already, but:

http://overlookconnection.com/catalo...ss-p-6973.html

Is it the chapter that appeared at SK Uncollected, Unpublished or is it the full story as mentioned in the page?

Does anyone have a copy that can confirm this?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Gunslinger Apprentice you ever seen a ghost? is on a distinguished road

just the chapter.

-justin

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Every time I peruse my collection I find something odd. I vaguely recall purchasing this from Ebay some time ago. UK first edition Lisey's Story in a slipcase and a laid in hand signed card - not a bookplate since there isn't any adhesive on the back of the card. But the signature seems like an original - not a facsimile. The card itself is actually a thin transparent plastic with a white peal off backing - but no adhesive. Anyway when I purchased this I assumed - without doing any research - that it was a limited UK edition. Looks like there is no limited uk edition so I guess what I have is a 1st uk trade edition with custom slipcase but what about the card? Anyone seen or have one of these and can shed some light on it?

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

how much is a new battleground proof worth? good price to get for ?
    thanks

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Every time I peruse my collection I find something odd. I vaguely recall purchasing this from Ebay some time ago. UK first edition Lisey's Story in a slipcase and a laid in hand signed card - not a bookplate since there isn't any adhesive on the back of the card. But the signature seems like an original - not a facsimile. The card itself is actually a thin transparent plastic with a white peal off backing - but no adhesive. Anyway when I purchased this I assumed - without doing any research - that it was a limited UK edition. Looks like there is no limited uk edition so I guess what I have is a 1st uk trade edition with custom slipcase but what about the card? Anyone seen or have one of these and can shed some light on it?

Those bookplates were doing the rounds at Kings London UK signings, I heard the lady from the publishers mention them and I saw a few people who had them, I'm assuming they made them in case King didn't have enough time to sign everyone's books.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    how much is a new battleground proof worth? good price to get for ?
    thanks
    I'd say in the $200-250 range right now. Not too many of these have surfaced.

John

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    This was probably asked already, but:

http://overlookconnection.com/catalo...ss-p-6973.html

Is it the chapter that appeared at SK Uncollected, Unpublished or is it the full story as mentioned in the page?

Does anyone have a copy that can confirm this?
    The link doesn't work nor does the Overlook Connection website. I wonder what is up.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

It's working fine for me.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The link works for me.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Nadine, I don't own one but I've seen those before. I'm pretty sure it's genuine but I don't recall the specifics.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by you ever seen a ghost? View Post
    1. Were they numbered 1-100 or just limited to 100?
    2. Did it include a traycase or a slipcase?
    3. Was the page numbering the same as the trade edition that was
    handed out at the World Horror Convention?
    4. Was the ISBN the same as the trade edition?
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I hope to have an answer for you today-if not by tomorrow morning. Unless of course one of our members has the book in hand and can be quick on the draw.

Note: A limited run of 100 black or red slipcases were produced to hold this volume and a companion hardcover Pocket Programme.
    http://www.stephenjoneseditor.com/bo...tonshock01.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    LIMITED EDITION: fifteen lettered copies signed by editor Stephen Jones (alone) and slipcased together with the hardcover Convention pocket programme book: plus a Convention T-shirt, plus the Convention souvenir bag.
    I received the 1/15 book. It came in a red slipcase and also had a promo bag and stuff. The 1/15 I received DOES NOT have multiple signatures. It only has Stephen Jones sig on the title page.
    I noticed on the website http://www.neilgaimanbibliography.co...htonshock.html that there appears to be a blue traycase. Interesting.

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

Default Building my Collection

I'm currently shopping around for some new first edition first printings, but I'm not certain which would be most worth my funds...

The newer works like 11/22/63 and Just After Sunset... should I spend $20 on each, or would it be possible to still find a first edition first printing for less? I pre-ordered both of these from Barnes and Noble and ended up with second printings.

Books like Different Seasons, Dolores Claiborne, Pet Sematary, The Green Mile Parts 1 and 3, and Secret Windows... worth it to buy from an online seller, or should I hold out to see if I can find a used book store copy? (Are they still common enough I might find a first edition first printing that way?)

The Dark Tower II, III, and IV Grant first editions... worth it to pay more than the stephenkingcollector suggests plus shipping if it's from a reputable source, or should I risk paying a more reasonable price from an e-bay or abe seller?

I'm definitely planning to spend $500 for my birthday/graduation (MLS!) tomorrow... I'm just not sure how to spend it wisely and whether to spend more. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

It's completely up to you, either several lower priced 1st editions or 1 or 2 higher end items. You really should think about it and not spend the money straight away, books always turn up for sale again and again. A hard lession i have leared is patience!

Oh and congrats on the birthday/graduation

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations and welcome!

Are you looking to build a complete set of 1st/1sts, and do you want your books to be in 'as new' condition (or as close as possible)?

My advice would be to invest in nice copies of the early books first (1970s/1980s). These are generally the most expensive (although prices drop after the early 80s) and the hardest to find in great condition. The newer books (1990s/2000s) can all be found easily in great condition for very reasonable prices (all of them had very large print runs so there are many 1st/1sts out there. Just be sure to know how to identify them).

I personally buy everything (or at least the older titles) on eBay, ABE and Betts Books because I live in Europe. The drawback is that you can't see the actual book until you receive it, but most sellers are more than willing to answer questions and provide abundant pics.

And like Tom says, patience is a virtue.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to the site!

I agree with Tom and Michael - be patient. Make sure you get the best quality for your dollar. Don't settle for something that you will look at on your shelf every day and regret purchasing it. If you want to buy online, start with David at Betts Books. He has a lot of 1/1 editions up for sale right now. After that, I would go to AbeBooks. Most of the time, the professional sellers will list their books correctly, and they are usually open to price negotiation as well. They'll also send you pics.

I'm always willing to pay a little more for a book from a reputable seller. Most of us here have paid a little more shopping at Betts, because we know the quality we will get.

If you are looking for specific items, post in the King Books/Items Wanted thread. Many member may have extra copies of 1/1 editions lying around.

Jim Thorpe...you're just up the PA Turnpike from me. I'm in the Lehigh Valley :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 194 of 567 FirstFirst ... 94 144 184 192 193 194 195 196 204 244 294 ... LastLast