Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 134 of 567 FirstFirst ... 34 84 124 132 133 134 135 136 144 184 234 ... LastLast
Results 3,326 to 3,350 of 14175

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    I don't use a protector on any book I own. Seeing all that plastic would really spoil the fun of displaying them.
    And reading them...

sk

I usually don't read my hardcovers, I usually read the paperback books. Or I read the book club editions of the hardcovers. On the case of new hardcover books,"Full Dark, No Stars" I read with the dj on and a brodart protector on the dj.

When it comes to photographing books, I take the brodart cover off. It is just too much of a pain to do it with them on.

I actually think my books look great with the protective covers on them. It doesn't look 'plastic'-like at all, the material is very thin and transparent. But: to each his own! I haven't applied covers to my slipcased books but almost all my other hardcovers have them now. As for reading the books - I read my hardcovers without their DJ's on.
    I usually don't read my hardcovers, I usually read the paperback books. Or I read the book club editions of the hardcovers. On the case of new hardcover books,"Full Dark, No Stars" I read with the dj on and a brodart protector on the dj.

When it comes to photographing books, I take the brodart cover off. It is just too much of a pain to do it with them on. There is to much issues with the light reflecting off the brodart cover and they also act like a "mirror"

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Is the book Stephen King Collectibles: An Illustrated Price Guide an interesting book? I don't care about the book values since they are 11 years old, and a lot of book pictures can be found right here online, but I was wondering if it had a lot of other useful information in it.
    Having been around back then and helping George compile information for that book, it is, for me, a trip down memory lane to leaf through the book and read the descriptions. But I just love the good old days. I have saved so many catalogs, price lists, etc. from the twenty plus years I have been collecting King and I just love to go through them periodically and look at prices.
    George spent a couple of days with Charlie Fried photographing books for the guide. It is obvious, to me anyway, that they got lazy towards the end. Many of the photos still show the books in storage bags. A few years ago George was talking about updating the info in a new edition. I made several offers for him to come to Amarillo and have the two of us really do the photos right. He made tentative plans to do that but it is obvious that he has now moved on to other ventures and has no current interest in updating the guide.
    That's why we have the King Collectibles Catalog

It needs more work-it always does, but we strive to make it the place where "Google" comes.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

As a relatively newer collector, I have no intention of purchasing Beahm's book because I've heard too much talk about the existence of more than a few errors. I don't want to rely on something and second-guessing everything I'm trying to learn because I don't know where the errors are. I would be interested in an updated, corrected edition.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Even though I wasn't 'around' at the time I do like to browse George's book. Not for the information per se but because it has its own place in the King collecting world (just like the Castle Rock Newsletters, Phantasmagoria etcetera).

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Understandable, but I prefer our own catalogs and threads right here. I don't hold it up to the same level as the other items you mention. To me it is an outdated, error-prone reference book. I just don't have an emotional connection to the book, I guess.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

John F. Kennedy brandnewfan is on a distinguished road

I already asked a similar question as this about The Plant....would it be against any laws to compile uncollected stories and have them printed up, like at kinkos, in a book form? I wouldnt be selling it, just for personal use...

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    To me it is an outdated, error-prone reference book.
    I don't think it warrants being called "error-prone." It is outdated as far as current prices go but what price guide isn't soon after it is published? It is a fun book and was meant to be enjoyed by collectors. It wasn't designed to stand up to a Congressional inquiry. It went through edit after edit by some pretty dedicated people. I didn't pay as much attention to many of the later chapters that had "miscellany," "t-shirts," etc. but I thought the front half of the book was pretty solid. Can you cite some specific important errors? I am wondering how many errors need to be present to be called "error-prone"? Some of us spent quite a bit of time helping George out on this and I guess I am probably being overly sensitive here.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. Most of the so-called errors are things that, with the advent of the internet, have come to light due to the much larger knowledgeable audience that just wasn't there when the book was conceived and written. I've compiled a list of these that I've noticed and the vast majority are omissions, not errors.

John

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    To me it is an outdated, error-prone reference book.
    I don't think it warrants being called "error-prone." It is outdated as far as current prices go but what price guide isn't soon after it is published? It is a fun book and was meant to be enjoyed by collectors. It wasn't designed to stand up to a Congressional inquiry. It went through edit after edit by some pretty dedicated people. I didn't pay as much attention to many of the later chapters that had "miscellany," "t-shirts," etc. but I thought the front half of the book was pretty solid. Can you cite some specific important errors? I am wondering how many errors need to be present to be called "error-prone"? Some of us spent quite a bit of time helping George out on this and I guess I am probably being overly sensitive here.
    Haha...yeah, I used it for a long time and never noticed any errors with the s/l entries. There are a couple things that I suppose could be questioned - like how many "author's copies" of a book there might be (though I say that without even looking for an actual specific example) - but at the time, the information was the best they had, and holds up pretty well to scrutiny.

It never steered me wrong!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi, I am so sorry. I did not mean any offense to anyone, nor did I realize the level of effort and assistance that some of you put into the book.

I was not talking about prices at all - those are always subject to the current market conditions and I wouldn't hold any printed reference material accountable for getting those correct.

Various comments posted on the TDT sites over the years created the impression that there were numerous factual errors in the book. Perhaps I misunderstood, it may be that it has omissions (as John characterizes it) rather than outright errors. Like I said upthread, I don't have an emotional connection to the book I don't own, so I must have read too much into those comments over time. Again, my apologies.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

No apologies necessary, Patrick. At least not to me. The great thing about the internet and this forum in particular is that we are pretty much free to speak our mind about anything related to book collecting. Criticism is what makes the discussions fun. It gets pretty bland otherwise. I would like to see some specific examples of errors though and, if people can't provide them, not refer to the book as error prone.

I don't take offense at comments easily. At least not on the internet. I cut my internet teeth on the usenet forum alt.books.stephen-king in the late 1990's. That was a great forum in its day but there were many "flamers." You had to bring your "A game" everyday. Make one mistake in your posts or say the least little thing wrong and you would get 20 "flames." It was brutal at times but fun. It caused you (me) to think before posting, get facts straight and always be ready to defend your position.

It is so hard to get accurate information from publishers. We have been told by one Scribner rep that no proofs of CELL were done. We all know that at least a few were done because some of us have them in our collections. Just one example of the difficulty in getting accurate info and sometimes misinformation is provided by seemingly reliable, "in the know" people. As I said earlier, the book was supposed to be fun, enjoyable to read and with lots of pictures of some of the rarer books that you just don't see everyday. It could have been better. I thought the pictures were just so-so. George was in a hurry to get it published (what author isn't?) and it likely would have been better with more input and editing. But if you waited until it was perfect it would have never been published. No book of this type would.

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

I am slowly working on collecting a complete set of King's first editions/first printings..
    I was wondering if there is a accurate list somewhere?
    Which one of these lists is more accurate? I know the collectors site list is missing the last few books...
    This list from our site shows Secretary of Dreams I&II , Nightmares in the sky and ( the shinning, carrie, misery) these are just reprints of previous released stories?
    Any help would be appreciated..

Brian.

http://stephenkingcollector.com/indentifyingUS1st.html

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...S+1st+Editions

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The SOD volumes contain reprints of stories that have been collected before. NIGHTMARES IN THE SKY is a book with photos of gargoyles and accompanying text by King.

It all depends on how you define your collection parameters I think. Do you want the books to be trade firsts? If so, does CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF from Land of Enchantment count as a trade? What about Grant's THE GUNSLINGER? And do you include trade paperbacks? If so, does SILVER BULLET count, or only CYCLE OF THE WEREWOLF? Do you include NIGHTMARES IN THE SKY even though it's not a novel or short story collection (but then again, neither is DANSE MACABRE)? What about the hardcover edition of SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION?

Questions, questions...

It's probably best to get a copy of Justin Brooks' Bibliography and define your own idea of what makes a complete collection of 1st/1sts.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by east-tennessee View Post
    I am slowly working on collecting a complete set of King's first editions/first printings..
    Which one of these lists is more accurate? I know the collectors site list is missing the last few books...
    This list from our site shows Secretary of Dreams I&II , Nightmares in the sky and ( the shinning, carrie, misery) these are just reprints of previous released stories?

Brian.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...S+1st+Editions
    The list from our site is more about the ISBN's than being a definitive list of King US 1st Trades. I don't consider (JMO) Nightmares in the Sky to be a true King Us 1st Trade.
    It really is a good question-creates discussion, and perhaps clarification.
    I'd love to hear from several of the "super collectors" who frequent the site.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Personally, I do consider Nightmare in the Sky to be a King book, mainly because he has written all the verbiage associated with it. It is a minor book, however.

John

Citizen of Gilead Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is a hardcover with the following dustjacket always a first/first or are there other printings as well?

Demon of the Prim east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice east-tennessee is just really nice

Country
    Country Flag

My goal is US trade editions, but it seems there are so many variables that this would up to the indiviual when they feel they have this complete.
    My original thought was collecting trades that contain the 1st apperance of the story, but there are multiple stories where the 1st apperance is in paperback, so yes I would also want the hard cover.
    I have seen many post on the site when members show a new book and state that this completes my 1st/1st collection...I guess I thought there was an easy answer or list but so many variables and questions?
    As Biomeg states " it all depends on how you define your collection parameters ".
    I would be happy to complete the list from the collectors web site......

Thanks guys..

Brian....

Country
    Country Flag

Brian, completing that list will definitely yield a nice collection! Which books do you still need?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Niels View Post
    Is a hardcover with the following dustjacket always a first/first or are there other printings as well?

I really have no idea. I don't think I have seen later UK printings of King's first couple of books with the same cover art as their 1st printings but I'm not an authority.

Country
    Country Flag

I still need most of the early books.
    Carrie, Salems Lot, (I have a nice copy of The Shinning in transit from Bett's now)
    Still need...The Bachman paperbacks, Night Shift, Danse Macabre, Cycle of the werewolf, My Pretty Pony, Faithfull ...
    I believe thats about it...
    I'm not in no hurry....it's so much fun searching, and looking for that awesome deal....
    I guess when you finish such a list you can always look for upgrades in condition...oh I already do that ...as I have multiple copies of many ....

Brian....

Citizen of Gilead Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is the, actual, book in question

Country
    Country Flag

Slow and steady wins the race, Brian! I do own a pretty complete collection of US and UK trade 1sts plus an assortment of non-limited stuff that belongs in the collection according to my definition but I'm still not there and satisfied either. Upgrading, as you say, is also beginning to play an important part in my searches now. I decided to sell my proofs so I can do just that - and also to get my Holy Grail (the UK 1st of CARRIE) and a number of first editions of books by other authors.

Niels, that's a fine-looking book! Certainly in better shape than mine...

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by east-tennessee View Post

Brian.
    Anthologies:

THE NEW ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (first appearance of “The Doctor’s Case”)
    I SHUDDER AT YOUR TOUCH (first appearance of “The Revelations of ‘Becka Paulson”)
    FIRST WORDS (first appearance of “Jhonathan and the Witchs”)
    DARK LOVE (first appearance of “Lunch at the Gotham Cafe”)
    999 (first appearance of “The Road Virus Heads North”)
    LEGENDS (first appearance of “The Little Sisters of Eluria”)
    ROBERT BLOCH’S PSYCHOS (first appearance of “Autopsy Room Four”)
    THE YEAR’S BEST FANTASY AND HORROR; EIGHTH ANNUAL COLLECTION (first appearance of “The Man in the Black Suit”)
    BOOK OF THE DEAD (first appearance of “Home Delivery”)
    PRIME EVIL (first appearance of “The Night Flier”)
    NIGHT VISIONS 5 (first appearance of “The Reploids,” “Sneakers,” and “Dedication”)
    MASQUES TWO (first appearance of “Popsy”)
    THE SEVENTH WORLD FANTASY CONVENTION BOOK (King contributed “The Bird and the Album“ which was a part on his novel-in-progress It.)
    SHADOWS 4 (first appearance of “The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands”)
    DARK FORCES (first appearance of “The Mist”)
    SHADOWS (first appearance of “Nona”)
    BORDERLANDS 5 (first appearance of “Stationary Bike”)
    TRANSGRESSIONS (first appearance of “The Things They Left Behind”)

By "first appearance" I mean published in book form. Some of these might have been published first in a magazine. But I collect books, not magazines, so that's my criterion for what consitutes a "first edition."

The above is from my own collection file; there are others. That's what keeps me "in the game." There is always another book to seek out!

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree. Once I got the first/first, I just never looked at others.

John

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Great Ghost Stories (first book appearance of The Reaper's Image)
    He Is Legend (first appearance of King/Hill story Throttle)
    Big Book of Necon (first book appearance of The Old Dude's Ticker)

And I'm sure there are more!

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 134 of 567 FirstFirst ... 34 84 124 132 133 134 135 136 144 184 234 ... LastLast