Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 567 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 122 162 212 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 14174

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What would be the approx. worth of a 1st F/F copy of Danse Macabre? I haven't read, or dealt with this book too much, so I have no idea what a fair price would be.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Thomas' site says: 28 proof copies, marked with a pencil, signed by Stephen King $1,200-$1,500

Bottom value during these hard times. (That goes for all Tomas' valuations.)
    Really? $1200 is legitimate in this economy? I am a little surprised.
    Since there are a lot fewer of the proofs than the Lettered edition, I would put a higher value on the proofs. I would think that $1000 wouldn't be unreasonable.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Since there are a lot fewer of the proofs than the Lettered edition, I would put a higher value on the proofs. I would think that $1000 wouldn't be unreasonable.
    It doesn't work like that. There is a much bigger market for Lettered Editions than Proofs.

More demand = more money.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    What would be the approx. worth of a 1st F/F copy of Danse Macabre? I haven't read, or dealt with this book too much, so I have no idea what a fair price would be.
    My guess, $75 - $100 or even more depending on how truly Fine it is. There are plenty of NF copies that can be purchased for $50, but quite rare to see one in truly Fine condition.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

From Sorrow to Hope Sam is on a distinguished road Sam's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It doesn't work like that. There is a much bigger market for Lettered Editions than Proofs.

I understand there is more demand for the lettered editions, but the lettereds are usually very limited in their numbers. Six Stories has a "lettered" edition of 200 copies. That's HUGE for a lettered edition, especially when you consider the only differenc between it and the numbered edition is the Arabic numbering vs. Roman numbering. I would much rather have the proof (and I'm not a proof collector) that was signed by King than the lettered simply because of the rarity, UNLESS there is an inscription that ties the book to a particular famous person like Ann Rivers Siddons (as was the case of one copy of Eyes of the Dragon that I saw years ago). Rarity is the big key for me in this case and that proof edition is simply more rare than the lettered. While that may not increase demand, it certainly increases the value to me. Also, I must wonder how many of the proofs were signed by King. If all of them were then the signature adds no further value, but if not... more value is added there too.
    Margaret Emmie Mackey Catoe, you are, have been, and always will be my soulmate, and I love you.
    Con todo mi corazon, por todo de mis dias. And I always will, in this life and into the next.

August 2, 1947 - September 24, 2010

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

To set the record correctly for any new readers here...

There is no Lettered Edition of "Six Stories". There were two numbered editions, both signed by King.

1. Arabic numbering 1 to 900
    2. Roman numbering 1 to 200

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I understand there is more demand for the lettered editions, but the lettereds are usually very limited in their numbers. Six Stories has a "lettered" edition of 200 copies. That's HUGE for a lettered edition, especially when you consider the only differenc between it and the numbered edition is the Arabic numbering vs. Roman numbering. I would much rather have the proof (and I'm not a proof collector) that was signed by King than the lettered simply because of the rarity, UNLESS there is an inscription that ties the book to a particular famous person like Ann Rivers Siddons (as was the case of one copy of Eyes of the Dragon that I saw years ago). Rarity is the big key for me in this case and that proof edition is simply more rare than the lettered. While that may not increase demand, it certainly increases the value to me. Also, I must wonder how many of the proofs were signed by King. If all of them were then the signature adds no further value, but if not... more value is added there too.
    I see what you're saying, but a proof really isn't a "book."

There's no way to judge the limitation or really know how 'rare' it is. At least with a lettered edition, you know that there are 52 copies or whatever.

It kind of goes to what I was saying about an SK signed trade edition of "Shadows" or "Modern Masters of Horror." Both are anthologies that are probably very uncommon signed...why have SK sign an anthology instead of one of his own books?

But, while very rare, they're only worth a premium to the very small subset of collectors who actually care about every possible signed trade edition....same with a signed proof. YOU care, but I don't care.

Not only should you not overpay for a signed proof, for example, you should actually try hard to underpay...a seller is likely to have a very small customer base, and won't be able to find a buyer without some effort.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think that it had already been mentionned in the past : how do you guys recognise your signed books in your collection? (Compared to the unsigned ones)

Do you put them altogether?... ?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    I think that it had already been mentionned in the past : how do you guys recognise your signed books in your collection? (Compared to the unsigned ones)

Personally I do it from memory, but my collection lends itself to that.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Same here. Of course, I only have a couple of signed Joe Hill and Robert McCammon books.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post

Personally I do it from memory, but my collection lends itself to that.
    Same here. Good or bad, that is the way it is.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I assume you mean signed trade editions. I try to keep those together but separate from the other trade editions. I also keep the signed limiteds separate.

John

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I assume you mean signed trade editions. I try to keep those together but separate from the other trade editions. I also keep the signed limiteds separate.

John
    I place them together as the unsigned. I use a little label placed on the bottom spine of the Mylar to indicate signed editions. Also my trade remarqued editions.

Gunslinger Apprentice deadohsky is on a distinguished road deadohsky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Not sure if this is the right thread or not but...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dark-Tower-Steph..._Fiction_Books

Is that really a fair price for a second edition of The Gunslinger or is the seller over ambitious?

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone think $50 is worth it for a 1st/1st Fair copy of Carrie?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I think I know the book to which you are referring. It was recently listed on ABE and is a very worn ex-library copy.

I can tell you from personal experience that whether the book is "worth it" or not you will probably never be happy with it. It will probably NOT fill a hole in your collection even temporarily. You will immediately begin looking for a better copy so you will be no further ahead in your collecting than you were before you bought that sad book. That's just my personal opinion but every time I have bought a book hoping to upgrade later I wished I hadn't wasted my money on the lesser book. Hang in there and wait for a better copy. That one sounds like garbage.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by deadohsky View Post

Is that really a fair price for a second edition of The Gunslinger or is the seller over ambitious?
    EXTREMELY over ambitious for a 2nd Gunslinger.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post

EXTREMELY over ambitious for a 2nd Gunslinger.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    I agree. Given the condition of the dust jacket, I'd say it's worth no more than about $100.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice deadohsky is on a distinguished road deadohsky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That's what i was thinking. I'm not looking to purchase as i already own that edition (MUCH better shape i.e. like new minus the shrink wrap) the asking price just threw me for a loop haha.
    Last edited by deadohsky; 08-24-2010 at 04:29 PM. Reason: eh...

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Over ambitious.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    You will immediately begin looking for a better copy so you will be no further ahead in your collecting than you were before you bought that sad book.
    I agree totally.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I think I know the book to which you are referring. It was recently listed on ABE and is a very worn ex-library copy.

I can tell you from personal experience that whether the book is "worth it" or not you will probably never be happy with it. It will probably NOT fill a hole in your collection even temporarily. You will immediately begin looking for a better copy so you will be no further ahead in your collecting than you were before you bought that sad book. That's just my personal opinion but every time I have bought a book hoping to upgrade later I wished I hadn't wasted my money on the lesser book. Hang in there and wait for a better copy. That one sounds like garbage.
    Yup, that's the one I'm talking about. I requested some photos of it, and it really is terrible. Regardless of its rarity, for the condition it's in, it would not even be worth it to buy. There's waterstains, stamping all over, etc., etc. It looks like someone drug it through the mud, rinsed it off in the ocean, and then went stamp crazy on it.

Verdict: I'm passing on it.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Citizen of Gilead Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels has a spectacular aura about Niels's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can you post the photos?..... Now I'm getting curious!
    (Really like to know what they call 'fair' condition)

Country
    Country Flag

Sure, I'll try to have 'em up by tomorrow.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 567 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 122 162 212 ... LastLast