Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 567 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 130 180 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 14172

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AbbyNormal View Post
    Sorry, I didn't know.

Mine is in good condition and the one I gave away was in the same condition as well. When I bought them they were both shrinkwrapped, and I didnt find out they were signed until I opened them. I'm sure the place I bought them from didn't know either, otherwise they would have been more than $4.
    Nothing to be sorry about. Please post pictures if possible, especially of the signature and number. We LOVE to see those!

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Not a problem. Welcome to the Collector's area.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Welcome to TDT.com and Calvin's Corner, AbbyNormal. Once you have a mere 5 posts here, more member capabilities will open to you.

As John said, we'd love to see a photo of the signature page in the book you kept.

Gunslinger Apprentice johnsmith87 will become famous soon enough johnsmith87's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can anyone tell me if a 1st/1st 1978 US The Stand would have a bar code on the back cover? I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but this one does and is being advertised as a 1st edition. Maybe a later printing?

Here's what I mean:
    Attached Images

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

There's no bar code on the back of the 1978 1st/1st. See:

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...ead.php?t=1087

I'm not sure when it first appeared.

John

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmith87 View Post
    Can anyone tell me if a 1st/1st 1978 US The Stand would have a bar code on the back cover? I'm pretty sure it doesn't, but what edition has the bar code on the back? Thanks.
    It does not have the code on the back.

The entry in out Collectibles Catalog shows a scan of the 1978 1st Dust jacket:

The interior dj flap (as well as the copyright page) has a typed ISBN: 0-385-12168-7

I'll research, but the first US hardback and the first US paperback to have an ISBN bar code on the outside cover have been discussed (fuzzy memory says the first PB was a Bachman book)

Gunslinger Apprentice johnsmith87 will become famous soon enough johnsmith87's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, that's sort of what I figured. I guess it's just a later printing then? In that case, I don't think it's worth what the seller thinks it is (but maybe I'm wrong).

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Running Man (1982) was the first King/Bachman book to have a UPC bar on the cover.
    IT (September, 1986), was the first hardback.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    The Running Man (1982) was the first King/Bachman book to have a UPC bar on the cover.
    IT (September, 1986), was the first hardback.
    Thanks!

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I have a question about the UK 1st/1st of The Shining. I have two copies of this book. Both have the exact same copyright page (with no reprints stated), dust jacket, gutter code etcetera. And yet yesterday I found out that the books themselves (underneath the dust jacket) look completely different! How is this possible? Anyone have an idea? Is one of them not a 1st/1st? But why, then, is everything exactly the same except the boards of the books (and a tiny size difference)?

I should add that the black book came with a priceclipped DJ. Not sure if this means anything in this context, though.

*edit* Even if you don't have an answer, I'd love to know whether you (yes, you ) own either the black or the blue state of this book.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Default UK 1st/1st The Shining - different states?

I posted this in the Collecting Questions thread but it seems to go unnoticed. I am really curious though! Mods, feel free to merge this back into the CC thread if a discussion evolves; if nobody replies, just delete it

I have a question about the UK 1st/1st of The Shining. I have two copies of this book. Both have the exact same copyright page (with no reprints stated), dust jacket, gutter code etcetera. And yet yesterday I found out that the books themselves (underneath the dust jacket) look completely different! How is this possible? Anyone have an idea? Is one of them not a 1st/1st? But why, then, is everything exactly the same except the boards of the books (and a tiny size difference)?

I should add that the black book came with a priceclipped DJ. Not sure if this means anything in this context, though.

Even if you don't have an answer, I'd love to know whether you own either the black or the blue state of this book, so we can see if either one of the 'states' is an anomaly or not.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

The black one on the left is the NEL 1st edition. (From the outside. I would need to see the copyright page.)
    The blue one on the right looks like a rebound book for a library.

Could you post pics of the copyright pages in full?

The dust jacket is 90% of the value of this book. It is very delicate and hard to find in fine condition. A price-clipped one is devalued considerably.

Country
    Country Flag

I will post pics of the copyright pages later today (they are identical, though). As for the dust jackets, you are correct of course. I got the blue copy with a non-clipped DJ, which unfortunately is not in fine condition (there are some chips on the top and bottom part of the DJ spine). I think I paid about £100 for it (will have to check at home). The black copy came with a lovely DJ, given its age, but priceclipped. I paid €45 for that one.

I actually found out about the differences in the books when I wanted to marry the nicer book (the black one) with the unclipped DJ.

You could very well be right about the library binding. I think I'm going to measure the size of the text blocks to see whether they're the same.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

any news about the N hardcover?

it's on amazon, but cant find it on marvel's website...
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Stephen-Kings-N-Comic-Premiere/dp/0785134530/"]Amazon.com: Stephen King's N. The Comic Series Premiere HC (9780785134534): Marvel Comics: Books[/ame]
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Country
    Country Flag

I didn't get around to taking pictures of the copyright pages but, as I said before, they are 100% identical.

Tomas (The Collector) mentioned that rebound library books most likely have other marks (glue remains, stamps, etc.) and of course that's true in virtually all cases. This book has none.

So I guess we'll never know for sure, but I'm going to keep both books. Who knows, maybe there are more of these blue-boarded books floating around 'under the radar'...maybe somebody will read this post 50 years from now, check his copy, and reply ;-)

Mods, please feel free to merge this thread back into the collecting questions thread if so desired.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I didn't get around to taking pictures of the copyright pages but, as I said before, they are 100% identical.

Tomas (The Collector) mentioned that rebound library books most likely have other marks (glue remains, stamps, etc.) and of course that's true in virtually all cases. This book has none.

So I guess we'll never know for sure, but I'm going to keep both books. Who knows, maybe there are more of these blue-boarded books floating around 'under the radar'...maybe somebody will read this post 50 years from now, check his copy, and reply ;-)
    Actually you have kind of answered your own question by saying the copyright pages are 100% identical. It is definately a rebound book then, as the black one is the NEL 1st edition.

This rebinding has been done by a single individual, and they did a poor job of the titles. Look at them compaired to the original.

I have a rebound Pocket Books paperback of "Storm of the Century". It's on blue hardback boards. It's probably the only one in the world, but it's not worth anything, other than 'curiosity' value.

Here's a picture of it next to the Book Club edition.

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, I agree with you Mr. RT, it's probably as simple as one individual rebinding a book. My curiosity was sparked though, and I sort of hoped there would be a more 'imaginative' explanation. But whichever way, I'm glad to have it in my collection, even if it's only for the sake of its curiosity value

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Okay heres an off the wall question. I enjoy reading trade paperbacks over normal paperbacks (approx 6" x 9" in size) and I'm trying to figure out which King titles are available somewhere in TPB.

So... does anyone know yes or no to the following:

Night Shift
    Different Seasons
    Christine
    Talisman
    Thinner
    Skeleton Crew
    Eyes of the Dragon
    It
    Tommyknockers
    Dark Half
    Four Past Midnight
    Needful Things
    Delores Claiborne
    Insomnia
    Desperation
    Regulators
    Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon
    Hearts in Atlantis
    Dreamcatcher
    Cell
    Blaze

US or UK as long as its 1) english language, 2) not large print and 3) no an ARC

Anyone?

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have a UK TPB of Cell. I know Hodder & Stoughton often has issued TPB editions of King's works almost simultaneously with the hardcovers. I think (but I'm not sure) that these are intended for international sales. (If I remember correctly, the Cell edition is from Australia.)

John

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have most of those in UK paperback, for some reason I don't have Desperation, Eyes of the Dragon or Four Past Midnight. These are 7" by 4 (and a bit)" in size.

Country
    Country Flag

The UK full size paperbacks are issued on the same day as the hardback. They are not intended for international markets.
    They are not the same as the Australian books.
    They are not just sold "flightside" at airports.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cloysterpete is on a distinguished road Cloysterpete's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    The UK full size paperbacks are issued on the same day as the hardback. They are not intended for international markets.
    They are not the same as the Australian books.
    They are not just sold "flightside" at airports.
    Those full-size ones (I prefer the term stupid size myself) are available at Amazon, but i've never seen one of them in a bookstore before.

Citizen of Gilead shnnrc01 is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

in ireland, its nearly getting to the stage where its harder to find the hardback on the shelves (easons,waterstones). its all tpb's. i dont even visit them stores anymore. i just order it from amazon.

Gunslinger Apprentice SkippyD023 is on a distinguished road SkippyD023's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by shnnrc01 View Post
    in ireland, its nearly getting to the stage where its harder to find the hardback on the shelves (easons,waterstones). its all tpb's. i dont even visit them stores anymore. i just order it from amazon.

I noticed that myself. I was in a B&N the other day and they did not have 1 SK book in hardcover everything was either the standard paperback or trade paperback.

Country
    Country Flag

Hasn't that always been the case though?. They stock the newest hardcover for a few weeks depending on sales, then for everything else it's paperback.

It's not surprising though is it, use Under the Dome for example, bookstores will be selling it at (or very close to, the smaller the store the less the discount) the rrp of £20. There not going to sell many of those when the web-stores sell it for £10 so they don't get many copies in-stock.

Plus where would the stores put all these hardcovers?, no-way they have the room to stock back-catalog hardcovers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 80 of 567 FirstFirst ... 30 70 78 79 80 81 82 90 130 180 ... LastLast