Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 406 of 567 FirstFirst ... 306 356 396 404 405 406 407 408 416 456 506 ... LastLast
Results 10,126 to 10,150 of 14175

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks like there is also one with a 9781781162646 ISBN# that has a #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER banner on the top.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Looks like there is also one with a 9781781162646 ISBN# that has a #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER banner on the top.
    Yes there's that too. I think the only version I'm missing is the UK one.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    I may be mistaken, but I think that one is a second printing. It has a couple of textual corrections.

John

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm going to say sorry in advance as I know this question doesn't really belong in this thread, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. Admin please transfer if you need.

For those of you who collect Eastern Press books, can someone let me know about their different versions of Sherlock Holmes I see on eBay from time to time? I am looking at buying a nice copy of Sherlocks stories for my 22 year old sister who is a fan and just need a bit of guidance as to why there are different editions and is their a preferred one to have?

Thanks (and sorry) in advance...

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

On the inside flap of the Dust Jacket of Insomnia S/L does it say Gift edition $75 on everyone's or did someone just put the incorrect DJ on mine?

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    On the inside flap of the Dust Jacket of Insomnia S/L does it say Gift edition $75 on everyone's or did someone just put the incorrect DJ on mine?
    Yours is OK. They used the same dj for both editions.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Bob. I've had it for awhile and been curious but now I feel better.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

What is the current contact info for Donald Grant Publishing? The email address on the website is to Karen, but she doesn't work there anymore.

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Brian!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    I'm going to say sorry in advance as I know this question doesn't really belong in this thread, but I wasn't sure where else to put it. Admin please transfer if you need.

For those of you who collect Eastern Press books, can someone let me know about their different versions of Sherlock Holmes I see on eBay from time to time? I am looking at buying a nice copy of Sherlocks stories for my 22 year old sister who is a fan and just need a bit of guidance as to why there are different editions and is their a preferred one to have?

Are you looking at the three different volumes they published in the late 70s/early 80s, I believe?

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
    Later Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
    Final Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

All can be found in NEW or LIKE NEW condition, but currently, all of the Buy It Now prices for a full set of these three are way above market value, IMHO.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is very common, you'll see 5 or 6 on eBay at any given time, but Later Adventures and Final Adventures are harder to find on their own.

Normally, I see The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes sell for $20 to $27. Later Adventures and Final Adventures sell for $40 to $50 each when you can find them separately. So I would be willing to pay a premium of $135 to $140 for a LIKE NEW set from the same seller since you'll save on shipping (and save time on searching/bidding), but most sellers are asking $175 to $300, which is way too much.

A set of all three that had some gilding problems sold for around $90 last week.

This set does make a VERY nice gift for the Sherlock Holmes fan in your life. I sold mine when I was downsizing a while back, but now that I've moved, I will probably buy a new one when I spot a set at the right price.

Of course, if you're looking at a different set from Easton, you can ignore all of this, ha!

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    What is the current contact info for Donald Grant Publishing? The email address on the website is to Karen, but she doesn't work there anymore.
    You can always go direct to Robert as well with robert@grantbooks.com. Most the time when I email the office he emails me back a few days later anyway so I started going directly to him.

Along the Path of the Beam DanaR will become famous soon enough DanaR's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Which is better - a Legacies Lettered "PC", or a Legacies S/L? I know for collecting purposes that PC copies aren't considered as valuable, but this particular lettered version is bound in black leather vs. the blue "whatever" the limited is. I'm really on the fence...

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by DanaR View Post
    Which is better - a Legacies Lettered "PC", or a Legacies S/L? I know for collecting purposes that PC copies aren't considered as valuable, but this particular lettered version is bound in black leather vs. the blue "whatever" the limited is. I'm really on the fence...
    You just opened a giant can of worms of a constant debate. PC's are technically rarer as their print run is very small, but the debate arises on their alleged devalue because they aren't "true" S/L without the proper run number of the edition. Some believe the PC is the same value and others don't. My advice? Collect what you are comfortable with. I own no PC's but I'd kill for a full PC Gunslinger run of all the books as there are allegedly, maybe, 5 completed sets of that. So.....I'm no help.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

Along the Path of the Beam DanaR will become famous soon enough DanaR's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    You just opened a giant can of worms of a constant debate. PC's are technically rarer as their print run is very small, but the debate arises on their alleged devalue because they aren't "true" S/L without the proper run number of the edition. Some believe the PC is the same value and others don't. My advice? Collect what you are comfortable with. I own no PC's but I'd kill for a full PC Gunslinger run of all the books as there are allegedly, maybe, 5 completed sets of that. So.....I'm no help.
    LOL, maybe this is my justification to purchase both copies.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post

Are you looking at the three different volumes they published in the late 70s/early 80s, I believe?

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
    Later Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
    Final Adventures of Sherlock Holmes

All can be found in NEW or LIKE NEW condition, but currently, all of the Buy It Now prices for a full set of these three are way above market value, IMHO.

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes is very common, you'll see 5 or 6 on eBay at any given time, but Later Adventures and Final Adventures are harder to find on their own.

Normally, I see The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes sell for $20 to $27. Later Adventures and Final Adventures sell for $40 to $50 each when you can find them separately. So I would be willing to pay a premium of $135 to $140 for a LIKE NEW set from the same seller since you'll save on shipping (and save time on searching/bidding), but most sellers are asking $175 to $300, which is way too much.

A set of all three that had some gilding problems sold for around $90 last week.

This set does make a VERY nice gift for the Sherlock Holmes fan in your life. I sold mine when I was downsizing a while back, but now that I've moved, I will probably buy a new one when I spot a set at the right price.

Of course, if you're looking at a different set from Easton, you can ignore all of this, ha!

Brian
    Thank you for the info Brian.

I hadn't seen the set of three you are referring to, but am guessing this is them?

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/361401066775

I had seen some of those individually but also this edition?

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/262092367102

Is this second listing a stand alone book, not part of a larger set like the first?

I'm thinking of just grabbing one book (shipping on all three is just a joke) so might get that second edition unless there are compelling reasons to consider one of the first set I posted?

Thanks again Brian.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by allasorte View Post
    LOL, maybe this is my justification to purchase both copies.
    Sounds good to me!

John

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Need a favor... does anyone have a long bookshelf that they could take a pic of thier King books looking down I could use? I know some of you guys do... just need an angled shot. My book shelves are too small and cut up. Even a LARGE bookshelf of King books with a pic head on. Please PM me if you can help and I will give me email and tell ya what I am doing of course (to get your permission to use it). Thanks!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Which is better?

The Lettered edition is a nicer book than the S/L. It is also more valuable.

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...Legacies+-+S+L

There are exceptions but usually a PC copy of a book is worth slightly less than a comparable numbered or lettered copy.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

I hadn't seen the set of three you are referring to, but am guessing this is them?

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/361401066775
    Yeah, there are several sets like that, which keep popping up from the same sellers.

I had seen some of those individually but also this edition?

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/262092367102

Is this second listing a stand alone book, not part of a larger set like the first?
    I believe it's the first volume they published for the set, and it certainly works nicely as a standalone gift. You don't "need" the others for it to be a nice gift, if you know what I mean.

The three volumes contain something like 50+ short stories and four novels, and a TON of illustrations. Easton Press does still sell the "full set" of all three under the name THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES, but it's three payments of $85, which is probably where those eBay prices above are coming from. But if you want all three, you can definitely find them for much less with some patience.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

I just tried a slightly different search query (playing with spelling!) and found a set of three, new in shrink-wrap, that is more reasonably priced. PM me if you want the link. If you think you'll bid, I'll step aside, so we don't run up the price on each other!

Brian

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Barry Hoffman has picked a particular book title to discuss, which I think is a great example of what is going on in the book industry. It is my opinion that for a bookseller to remain viable in a field that is in the process of going obsolete, book dealers have to come up with ways to remain relevant in this electronic day and age. This is a very important topic to discuss. I post it here for lack of a better place to post and would be interested in a response from PS Publishing.

I agree with Mr. Hoffman that prices (in my opinion the King books fall into this same category) are way to expensive given the materials used and the materials they contain. Value is very important to the customer. Added Materials (especially from the Author) can help make a particular title "more valuable" rather than a reprint with a few added illustrations. You can see from Barry's post, his publications and his passion, that he believes (lives) in what he publishes.

I am a loyal customer of PS Publishing, purchasing all the King reprints and the signed Lettered editions of the King books. I see the need for these books to sustain and maintain the business. This is part of the reason i continue to buy the anniversary editions. I just wish the lettered editions would be priced more reasonably, given the contents and costs involved. If others can publish a signed/numbered edition for $475 and a lettered edition for less than $2K maybe PS can review and analyze their pricing structure. I could be way off on the costs of publishing these books, but from Barry's post, prices are out of line based on costs of publishing these titles. I own the lettered CARRIE and ordered the Lettered THINNER, but can't honestly say they are the pride of my collection. The Stand, Salem's Lot and few others stand out more so than my love for Carrie. I am anxiously waiting for my lettered copy of Thinner and my Skeleton Crew gift edition.

I heard the folks at Cemetery Dance say more than once, if you don't want to wait for your books, they would happily refund your money and sell that copy to someone else! I say this because i was tired of waiting for Gone Girl (it will finally happen in 3 more months) AND I know we are not obligated to buy every book that is released! Barry has very strong ideas that new limited editions should have added material, he takes great pride in collecting that material for his publications!

I believe Barry has some valid points, but i would like to hear from others with a different point of view. I am great at listening to other points of view.

Barry's post is below in case you do not get the newsletter from Gauntless Press.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Note from the Publisher...

I have already discussed my disdain for limited editions of books that have already been given that treatment. I was over and done with it ... or so I thought until I saw, in the latest edition of the PS Publishing newsletter, their version of one of our classic signed limited editions: Ray Bradbury's SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES. As the original was a Gauntlet release I feel compelled to comment on the book.

PS is publishing the novel and adding two additional items (15 Glenn Chadbourne b/w illos and the short story “Dark Ferris”). The $90 (at today’s conversion rate) numbered edition is signed by Chadbourne and Peter Crowther, who wrote an intro, but NOT Bradbury. The lettered is signed by Bradbury but, other than a traycase, contains no additional bonus material and sells for, get this...$904.

While our version is out-of-print (deservedly so) here is what the buyer received in the numbered edition (which sold for $65 when it was published in 1999): signed by Bradbury, afterwords by Joe Lansdale and Peter Crowther, a Joe Mugnaini cover from the original U.K. edition of the book, and a never-before published Bradbury painting (which was used by Mugnaini as a guide for the cover). There are also 7 pages of Bradbury's Disney script for the play -- his typed pages along with handwritten notes and corrections.

And our $250 lettered edition contained all that the numbered did plus a 100-page screen treatment Bradbury wrote for Gene Kelly before he wrote the novel. That’s 100 additional pages. It also featured doodles that Bradbury was famous for as front and back endpapers.

No offense to Chadbourne (who is a distinguished artist in his own right) but PS would have been better served by using additional illos by Bradbury’s favorite artist, Joe Mugnaini. While he has passed away his wife has, several times in fact, provided us with her husband’s art for our editions. It would have been Bradbury’s desire, I believe.

A limited edition of a book that has already received that treatment must contain something truly unique. The PS release, selling for $90, contains just one “new” Bradbury item and the numbered edition isn’t signed by Bradbury. And $900 for the lettered edition is criminal. It should also be noted that we published 11 Ray Bradbury signed limited editions and only once (DARK CARNIVAL) did we charge more than $500 for a signed lettered edition. Most of our signed Bradbury lettered editions sold for considerably less. A “reprint” of SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES for $900 seems a bit much.

Simply put there has been a definitive signed limited edition of SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAYS COMES. Any further edition is redundant.

Best,
    Barry Hoffman

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have to agree with Glenn here to a certain degree. I am not a fan of PS. I feel PS (Pete) takes advantage of completists.... Carrie done by Glenn Chadborne (who, lets be honest... is not expensive or sought after much at all) was near $5K US. COME ON... from what I have been told by numerous members the quality of this edition is sub par compared to the prices they paid. I do not own one and was prepared to buy one at the time as some of you know... when I seen the offering and the boring nature of it.. I passed. The last one sold on the market was well below issue price. Why? Cause issue price was way to high. I feel compelled to agree with Barry at Gantlet 100%. I am not a completist. I love the books, I love the limiteds but do not need them all. I take nothing away from any member that has Carrie or the upcoming Thinner either. I just do not agree with it.. I hate being taken advantage of. Period.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm wondering if this discussion should be in the PS thread. PS is essentially being called out.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I'm wondering if this discussion should be in the PS thread. PS is essentially being called out.
    My first thought too, but i did not want to offend Pete! He is an asset to the site and did not want offend him, just hear his thoughts on the matter as well as other publishers and consumers. Everyone has opinions!!

But it would give him an opportunity and place to respond. to a "core" audience and consumers of his books!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 406 of 567 FirstFirst ... 306 356 396 404 405 406 407 408 416 456 506 ... LastLast