Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 567 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 139 539 ... LastLast

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by willie3 View Post
    Here's a question...

What do you guys think about the "PC" copies of the S/L editions?

Especially if you do not 'own' a particular number.

Is it better in your collection to have "PC" copies or random numbers throughout?

As for value/price, more or less than a numbered edition?

Karl
    Karl-

Good question and one that has been bantered about either in another thread on this site or on the now defunct TDT.net site.

You will get collectors that will say PC copies are worth more and others say worth less. I think it boils down to a personal preference/belief. For instance, take the S/L Gunslinger. There were 52 Lettereds, 500 numbered S/L and just 12 PC copies (also, some Authors copies etc.). Does a limitation of 12 make it more valuable and collectible? There could only be 12 complete PC DT sets versus 500 numbered ones. In this specific case, I think a PC copy of The Gunslinger is worth modestly more than a numbered copy. But for a PC copy of say From a Buick 8 versus a numbered copy....PC holds no additional appeal at all for me, and, in fact, holds slightly less appeal. In the case of From a Buick 8 (and others like it), to me a PC copy feels like you "missed out" getting in on the book when it was first announced and orders taken. A PC copy means you were late to the game and you were able to score an "extra" copy from the publisher. In general, I feel that way about most PC copies (except those of the Dark Tower books), but that is my opinion. I am sure someone else here can make a credible argument as to why they are preferred to that person. Sorry, but I think there is no clear cut answer...it is a personal preference in the end.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    26 lettered are A-Z, if the publishere wishes to do 52 lettered, they are A-Z, then AA-ZZ.
    Quote Originally Posted by batsker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    26 lettered are A-Z, if the publishere wishes to do 52 lettered, they are A-Z, then AA-ZZ.
    But Wiz said he had copy AY, and I've seen AH for sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    They did A-Z and AA,AB,AC...AZ
    Wiz has it right.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Is it better in your collection to have "PC" copies or random numbers throughout?
    Wiz is correct. It's a totally personal thing.
    I personally couldn't care less about numbers unless I could get number 1 of every signed/limited ever published. That's not going to happen, so I don't care.
    There are a lot less PC copies of books compared to the numbered/lettered ones, so they are by defination rarer. But, as hardly anyone collects them, the prices are generally lower.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

But there are "x" number of pc copies, while there is a unique number copy.

John

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I'm with John...while there are 'fewer' PC copies, there's no exclusivity, like there is with 'my' number.

It's totally subjective, because a S/L is still an S/L...but I feel like the numbered copies are the true edition, and the PC copies are more 'overstock' or for publisher's extra profit...and their actual numbers are also hard to account for, which also decreases their rarity in my eyes.

Good debate, though, since there are legit points of view to both sides...

Citizen of Gilead willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    But there are "x" number of pc copies, while there is a unique number copy.

John
    This is true.

And though I will never be able to obtain ## of all King S/L editions, a collection of "PC" copies seems to be more in my grasp.

More copies available.

That being said, my "PC" collection would be worth less than a set of ##, unless I could show some providence (ex: Whelan's copy).

Just thinking out loud...

Gunslinger Apprentice Earth's Militant Mind is on a distinguished road Earth's Militant Mind's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Wiz is correct. It's a totally personal thing.
    I personally couldn't care less about numbers unless I could get number 1 of every signed/limited ever published. That's not going to happen, so I don't care.
    There are a lot less PC copies of books compared to the numbered/lettered ones, so they are by defination rarer. But, as hardly anyone collects them, the prices are generally lower.
    I actually think #19 would be way better than #1 but that's just me. All and all PC or # other than 19 for obvious reasons would make no difference to me.

Gunslinger Apprentice blg is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

I was originally told by someone who had been collecting far longer than me that PC copies were more desirable. However, I've since decided that I'd prefer a number. As someone else said, there is only 1 of each number and always multiple PC copies.

At this point, the only PC I have is Insomnia, which I bought directly from Ziesing and one of the Colorado Kids. I had a PC Buick 8, but sold it after I found a numbered copy.

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm putting together a PC set of the Dark Tower books, but only because I gave up on my number. I was working towards #626, with the thought that the new LSOE could act as a pseudo DTI - its different size and the fact that its expressly called LSOE and not The Revised Gunslinger, and complete apathy to continue tracking down the other #626s led me to turn my attention to PC copies. As for the other S/L that are "Dark Tower Related" - I'd prefer a number over the P/C for the reasons discussed above.

Citizen of Gilead willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3 is a jewel in the rough willie3's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    I'm putting together a PC set of the Dark Tower books, but only because I gave up on my number. I was working towards #626, with the thought that the new LSOE could act as a pseudo DTI - its different size and the fact that its expressly called LSOE and not The Revised Gunslinger, and complete apathy to continue tracking down the other #626s led me to turn my attention to PC copies. As for the other S/L that are "Dark Tower Related" - I'd prefer a number over the P/C for the reasons discussed above.
    That's one reason why I have started leaning toward the "PC" editions.

If you decide to divest yourself of any of them, let me know.

Gunslinger Apprentice Earth's Militant Mind is on a distinguished road Earth's Militant Mind's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    I'm with John...while there are 'fewer' PC copies, there's no exclusivity, like there is with 'my' number.

It's totally subjective, because a S/L is still an S/L...but I feel like the numbered copies are the true edition, and the PC copies are more 'overstock' or for publisher's extra profit...and their actual numbers are also hard to account for, which also decreases their rarity in my eyes.

P/C copies ar not over stock but a way to award the people who help get the book published. The publisher really doesn't get mor profit from this as they are usally distributed through out to the people that work for the publisher such as the printer, designer, book keeper, ect...

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Earth's Militant Mind View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post

P/C copies are not over stock but a way to award the people who help get the book published. The publisher really doesn't get mor profit from this as they are usally distributed through out to the people that work for the publisher such as the printer, designer, book keeper, etc...
    Intellectually I know you are absolutely correct. But emotionally, my gut feeling agrees with Rahfa.

It's all subjective personal preference and I just don't get excited about spending relatively large sums of money on PC copies unless they come at a substantial discount (or if they were a gift).

I do not have any specific number that I shoot for in S/Ls (other than the books in the DT series). So far I own only one PC, everything else is a "random" number.

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I do not like the PC copies myself, the only PC's I own are of Poppy Z Brite books and they came directly from Poppy. Otherwise I avoid them.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Eric-

As I stated, a PC set of DT books is a worthy goal as there can only be 12 complete sets (as there were only 12 Publishers Copies of The Gunslinger). Three sets are accounted for, Bob's, mine and the one Stu got from Chris Cavalier (I do not remember if Stu still has it or not).

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wizardsrainbow View Post
    Eric-

As I stated, a PC set of DT books is a worthy goal as there can only be 12 complete sets (as there were only 12 Publishers Copies of The Gunslinger). Three sets are accounted for, Bob's, mine and the one Stu got from Chris Cavalier (I do not remember if Stu still has it or not).
    Does anyone know how many PC copies of the other books there are? I've seen 12 quoted for DTII and DTIII as well, and 50 for the last four books - but don't know if these numbers are confirmed....?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I bumped this thread, as a lot of these questions have been discussed.
    Dark Tower: Publisher Ed. vs. Signed/Limited Ed.

Along the Path of the Beam jcf817 is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Default Tales of Beedle the Bard Collector's Edition

Hi Everyone-

I'm really not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I'll give it a shot.

Did anyone else have any issues with receiving their book? I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk (come to think of it, I have no idea why I ordered it from the UK website) and they dispatched it on Dec. 3rd. I finally called them yesterday to ask about it. Since they can't track an international shipment, they believe it's been lost. They're refunding my money, but I'm decidely sad that I can't get this book now. The second market is way too high for me.

Does anyone here, by chance, have an extra copy they would be willing to sell for cover price. I know it's a stretch, but I thought I'd at least throw it out there.

Thanks a bunch

Joel

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi there.

I didn't order the collector edition. I think amazon has them new for $300.

I got my copy at Costco for $8.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Gunslinger Apprentice Harrald is on a distinguished road Harrald's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I went the cheap route and borrowed it from the library.
    Insert witty comment here.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the responses, folks, but I have the $8 copy that I got from Target to read. I would like the Collector's Edition for my collection.

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

The collector's edition is so cool looking. I would love to get my hands on a copy. jcf817 if you're willing to pay cover price, I would suggestion amazon. good luck.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Man I can't believe I canceled my order. I had this pre-ordered, but decided I didn't want it. Heck I thought there would be no chance they would sell out of so many copies. Oh well...
    Geoff

Gunslinger Apprentice bast_imret is on a distinguished road bast_imret's Avatar

I did the same thing. I seriously doubted that the secondary market would go up that fast, nor that they would be sold out already. But the trade off was that my $100 went toward an extra LSoE AE and another chance at a whelan sketch.

Servant of Gan Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57 is a jewel in the rough Pasiuk57's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

I have two copies of the Special Collector's Edition.
    I could sell one for $300
    I am keeping the other one.
    Both are UNOPENED, brand new, still in shrinkwrap, and it is a VERY large book.
    Postage and insurance in the USA would be $12.00
    Most of you know me and I wrap my packages very well...
    If interested, just let me know!
    Mike

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Pasiuk57 View Post
    I have two copies of the Special Collector's Edition.
    I could sell one for $300
    I am keeping the other one.
    Both are UNOPENED, brand new, still in shrinkwrap, and it is a VERY large book.
    Postage and insurance in the USA would be $12.00
    Most of you know me and I wrap my packages very well...
    If interested, just let me know!
    Mike
    Thanks for the offer, Mike

As I said in my original post, there's just no way for me to be able to afford one on the secondary market. I guess I'll just resign myself to the idea that I won't have this one in my collection, although I'm way bummed out about it.

If I should change my mind, I could probably pick it up from you. :-)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 567 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 139 539 ... LastLast