Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 538 of 567 FirstFirst ... 38 438 488 528 536 537 538 539 540 548 ... LastLast
Results 13,426 to 13,450 of 14171

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

I know I am going to stir the pot up with this comment......but why are you considering housing your valuable collection in a cheap bookcase?

You don't park a Ferrari in a cardboard box......right?

Bob Jackson turned me on to Hale Barrister Bookcases........they're pricey......But I like 'em.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I know I am going to stir the pot up with this comment......but why are you considering housing your valuable collection in a cheap bookcase?

Bob Jackson turned me on to Hale Barrister Bookcases........they're pricey......But I like 'em.
    I tend to agree hence my ask here. I’m moving into a condo soon.... and am not sure if I’m going custom yet or not. Hence the cheaper version for now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

IKEA Billy bookcases are terrible. Make your own with the best hardwood you can get. Your Lettered Editions deserve it.

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you get a set of Billy cases they will (a) not set you back that much, relatively speaking, (b) look good, and (c) hold up well over time. They've come up over and over here and most members are more than satisfied with them. Additionally, and I think this is a nice feature, you can adjust the shelf size (to a point) which is really great for lettered editions as a lot of them don't conform to the standard sizes, either because of the book or because of the case.

That said, I do tend to agree that a nice collection deserves nice bookcases!

I love Barrister bookcases, which will hold all but the largest editions (mine hold books up to 11" tall). They are also modular, so you can switch them around any way you like. And if you like to display books with the front boards out, they look really good. The only downside is that there is no ability to adjust for shelf size.

Customized cases are also an option, and I think are probably the best of both worlds - great materials (if you pay for them), great presentation, and the ability to adjust the size as needed. I will never get rid of my Barrister cases but I would like someday to have a customized set of shelves built for my collection and space. Granted, the price is non-negligible. But the collection you are housing is worth, what - $100k? $200k? Regardless of the actual value, the point is that spending a couple thousand dollars on an appropriate set of cases is justified and worth it.

I decided a couple of years ago that the most important point to my collecting habit is that the books I end up with bring me joy when I see them. Part of that (for me) is being able to display and view them every day. I love being able to look over at my pride and joys any time I want. The cases are a big part of this!

So to me the question is: what kind of case is going to enable you to derive the most pleasure from your books? Whatever it is - it's worth it! Is it a bunch of adjustable Billy's with doors? Awesome!! Is it a customized case built specifically for you in your new condo? Great!!

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide

Maerlyn's Imp allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte has a spectacular aura about allasorte's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    IKEA Billy bookcases are terrible. Make your own with the best hardwood you can get. Your Lettered Editions deserve it.
    Agreed. Or find something second hand. Like a solid wood curio or bookcase that matches your décor or one you can refinish/paint. I found some nice solid oak cases I repainted, but I am on the market for something that has adjustable shelves for the taller books.
    Words have no power to impress the mind without the exquisite horror of their reality. Edgar Allan Poe

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm a cabinetmaker.

The Billy bookcases are a great value for the money.

Custom cases for your space would be fantastic.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Rabid Billybumbler amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013 has a reputation beyond repute amd013's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

How tall are the shelves? I think I own about 14 books that require 14 inches or more, of these I can fit 12 in my Billy bookcases (granted some not efficiently) (the other two are My pretty Pony lettered, and Knowing Darkness S/L). There are probably a few more that require 13-14 inches. While they aren't the best, the Billy's are still good, and they give you more flexibility, and are reasonably priced.

If you own a lot of Cemetery Dance Lettereds then how do you display them in the Hale Barristers? (I probably don't want to know because then I will be kicking myself)

Perhaps this should be moved to the bookcase thread?
    Wanted:

'Salem's Lot Portfolio #606

Fairy Tale UK S/L

Gunslinger Apprentice you ever seen a ghost? is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by peripheral View Post
    A friend of mine just purchased a red leather library copy of The Stand. This unopened promotional thing was in it - any idea what's inside? I couldn't find anything after a brief internet search...

it's either this or:

C294. “A Note from Stephen King” -

This is a four-page letter distributed to members of The Book-of-the-Month Club’s Stephen King Library.

Appearances:
    1. 1989.
    2. Reprinted in 1994.
    3. Reprinted in 1999.

this:

C422. “From the Desk of Stephen King” -

This is a one-page letter to members of The Book-of-the-Month Club’s Stephen King Library.

Appearances:
    1. 1998.
    2. Reprinted in 2005.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I received all these invitations but I never joined, so I never got the skeleton key ring, darn it.

I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

What is the scarcity of the Plume trade paperback "Advance reading copy" of THE DARK TOWER II compared to the orange Plume proof of the same title? And it's value? Just out of curiosity. I'm moving books around and forgot I had the ARC.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ur2ndbiggestfan View Post
    What is the scarcity of the Plume trade paperback "Advance reading copy" of THE DARK TOWER II compared to the orange Plume proof of the same title? And it's value? Just out of curiosity. I'm moving books around and forgot I had the ARC.
    Just one opinion....the ARC with pictorial wrappers is FAR more common than the Orange proof...I put value of wrappers ARC in Fine condition at $125-$150 and the Orange one (Fine) at $450-$500.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Wizard of End-World wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow has a brilliant future wizardsrainbow's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Side note: Value of proofs very difficult....not everyone collects them; some avid proof collectors willing to pay what I deem ridiculous prices for a proof they want....no one ever really sure of just how many there are out there....makes placing a value quite difficult.

Dragline : Nothin'. A handful of nothin'. You stupid mullet head. He beat you with nothin'. Just like today when he kept comin' back at me - with nothin'.
    Luke : Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand

Thanks David, good to know!

Citizen of Gilead Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of Alec has much to be proud of

David is spot on!!
    “Willing to pay what I deem ridiculous prices” seems an appropriate phrase for an Orange Plume proof DTII.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post

How tall are the shelves? I think I own about 14 books that require 14 inches or more, of these I can fit 12 in my Billy bookcases (granted some not efficiently) (the other two are My pretty Pony lettered, and Knowing Darkness S/L). There are probably a few more that require 13-14 inches. While they aren't the best, the Billy's are still good, and they give you more flexibility, and are reasonably priced.

If you own a lot of Cemetery Dance Lettereds then how do you display them in the Hale Barristers? (I probably don't want to know because then I will be kicking myself)

https://www.halebookcasesdirect.com/...rd-depth-units

https://www.halebookcasesdirect.com/...tra-deep-units
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

But if I extend that logic, the books are in shelves, the shelves are in a room, and the room is in a house - based on the value of my books, the house would be ~ 5.2 mil...(I'm working on it).

Goldmember Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861 seldom gets put on hold Brian861's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by amd013 View Post

https://www.halebookcasesdirect.com/...rd-depth-units

https://www.halebookcasesdirect.com/...tra-deep-units
    They are gorgeous and something to aspire to obtain.
    You don't know my kind.....You don't my mind.....Dark necessities are part of my design.....

Citizen of Gilead darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all darkseer is a name known to all

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Did Stephen King write a poem called "Tommy" in a magazine in 2010?

Found my answer Thanks.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

A question that crossed my mind the other day.
    Regarding valuable books.

If you have some very valuable books and want to take them off the shelves. Do you do anything specific in order to try not to leave any thumbrints / marks on them?
    -> Do you wash your hands before and make sure that they are dry?
    -> Do you specifically use a type of soap? Antibacterial soap? Although I think that this may be damaging the covers?
    -> You dont really care and just go as you are in the moment you want to look at them?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    A question that crossed my mind the other day.
    Regarding valuable books.

If you have some very valuable books and want to take them off the shelves. Do you do anything specific in order to try not to leave any thumbrints / marks on them?
    -> Do you wash your hands before and make sure that they are dry?
    -> Do you specifically use a type of soap? Antibacterial soap? Although I think that this may be damaging the covers?
    -> You dont really care and just go as you are in the moment you want to look at them?
    I wash and dry my hands for most books. I'll also occasionally wear gloves depending on the book.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I don't really wash much. My ecoli and ebola doesn't seem to affect the paper at all.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Curious what edition is on the right? Copyright page is the same. Just an ARC? Was just curious.

Thx

looking for: NOS4A2 (sub press)
    Dead Zone 1st/1st, Boy's Life S/L
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Country
    Country Flag

Do you have the book? Check the copyright and limitation page. There was a trade, a numbered and a lettered state of this book. Not sure what that one is.

Servant of Gan kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323 is a splendid one to behold kingfan2323's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Do you have the book? Check the copyright and limitation page. There was a trade, a numbered and a lettered state of this book. Not sure what that one is.
    Hey Brian,

I do have thr book. Copyright is the same as the trade. No limitation page.

looking for: NOS4A2 (sub press)
    Dead Zone 1st/1st, Boy's Life S/L
    ANYTHING DT Related #246
    Dead Zone First Edition F/F or NF/NF

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey guys, do you remember when someone did some little Oy sculptures? Full body, sort of curled up, like resting or waiting. They were done by an artist whose last name is McVey. I think it was Alex McVey, but I’d like to confirm before I risk giving Alex credit for someone else’s work. Thanks.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

+ Reply to Thread
Page 538 of 567 FirstFirst ... 38 438 488 528 536 537 538 539 540 548 ... LastLast