Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 567 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 115 165 565 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 14175

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Citizen of Gilead Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja is a jewel in the rough Lilja's Avatar

If I remember correctley the dates for when the things in the book take place is different. I know that they are between the cut and uncut edition but I think (I might be wrong here) that there is different dates for the uncut one as well. I'll have to check my files to be sure though...

Lilja

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Hi, Lilja. Welcome!

Re: The Stand - I believe what Lilja said is correct: date changes.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Thank you Brice. Is there anymore info Lilja?

(You oughta start a website!)

Do the Date changes in the plot change anything...such as the ending? (I have read both abridged and unabridged.)
    All that's left of what we were is what we have become.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lilja View Post
    If I remember correctley the dates for when the things in the book take place is different. I know that they are between the cut and uncut edition but I think (I might be wrong here) that there is different dates for the uncut one as well. I'll have to check my files to be sure though...

Lilja
    I have no doubt you're right Lilja. I was just guessing based on the date of publication listed on that page (the same as the uncut) and the fact that I'd never heard of any new version since the uncut.

Off topic: It's good to have you here with us.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Caution: eye irritant Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon has a reputation beyond repute Jon's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes...great to have you here.

The truth is that I will buy it anyway!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The truth is if it's one word or date different I probably will have to also.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

aye...I am a nut for The Stand.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Sep 1978 The Stand published in hardback by Doubleday with 1980 timeline.
    Jan 1980 The Stand published in paperback by Signet with 1985 timeline. (includes minor text changes)
    May 1990 The Stand Uncut published in hardback by Doubleday with 1990's timeline.
    May 1991 The Stand Uncut published in paperback by Signet with 1990's timeline.
    May 1994 The Stand Uncut published in movie tie-in paperback by Signet with 1990's timeline.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I believe we have a winner!
    Thanks. I am sure Jon will be pleased.

- razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough razz is a jewel in the rough

Default Older Books

Recently I have had a couple older books come into my possession.
    The first one is called The Pikemen, by S.R. Keightley, published in 1904

I've looked it up, and I can only find fleeting mentions of this book.

The second one (i actually got today) is not in that great of condition, but it also from 1904: Barrack Room Ballads by Rudyard Kipling

as you can see, the first page is falling apart, and piece of the cover are tattered and bent.

The thing is: I don't want them. They'd be nice to keep, but in my house, they'd get damaged or destroyed rather quickly. So what i wanted to know is where i would go to sell them, or to find out if they have any value.
    any help would be appreciated.

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Razz, I'm far from an being an expert, but I found no US copies of The Pikemen on abebooks and found several copies of the Kipling book published by Haas/LLL at $5 or less.

If you rescue me

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

you could also try searching veryfinebooks.com Razz
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Although there are four listings, only the first is a close equivalent to your copy (which is a second edition--it says on the title page).

The Pikemen

John

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Originally Posted by Srbo
    So, just curious - when UTD comes out and I by it in the store - am I bying a first edition or not ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Mod
    My first reaction was to say as long as you buy one of the first printings you have a first edition but then it occurred to me that since you are in Canada, I'm not sure if that is true. Can anyone confirm whether it makes a difference if it is a Canadian release or do all the Scribner books in the U.S./Canada come from the same source?
    Can any of the collectors answer this question for Ms. Mod?

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The book itself is identical, but the jackets are a bit of a quagmire.

They used to be the same, with both Canada/US prices. However, when the CDN $ sky rocketed above the US last year and folks like me started asking why we were paying 30% more for our books, they took to printing only one price on the Canadian jackets - still 30% higher but without a US price for comparison.

I think they should still be considered first editions, just perhaps not as sought after as one with the proper US jacket.

But then again, Canada is 1/10th the size of the States, so in theory 1/10th the number of books with these "variant" jackets would be sold here as the normal 1sts in the US, so does this make them MORE rare and therefore MORE sought after? I'd like to think so, but I doubt it very much!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Eric, that is perfect.

(I love it when our members can answer this kid of stuff)

I know you have a sign in over there so if you would like to answer it, please feel free. Or I can copy/paste with quote. The thread is in General Discussion, first one right now.

Love it!!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Anyone here will attend July's Comic Con?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Country
    Country Flag

No problem Matt.

You can go ahead and copy and paste if you'd like. I signed up for the SK message board a while back but haven't gotten around to exploring.posting there yet.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post

I think they should still be considered first editions, just perhaps not as sought after as one with the proper US jacket.

But then again, Canada is 1/10th the size of the States, so in theory 1/10th the number of books with these "variant" jackets would be sold here as the normal 1sts in the US, so does this make them MORE rare and therefore MORE sought after? I'd like to think so, but I doubt it very much!
    One of the longstanding "rules" of book collecting is to "follow the flag," meaning you should focus on the books published in the author's home country. Those will generally be the most desirable in the long run.

I think the only Canadian edition of a King book that I think is as collectible as a US first is a trade edition of THE REGULATORS by Bachman. I'm not at home right now to check but the publisher of the Canadian edition is different and makes for a different look to the spine. Dutton vs. Viking, maybe? I'd have to check. At any rate it is different from the US edition.

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Anyone here will attend July's Comic Con?
    Which Con, Ari?

The San Diego ComiCon?

( i believe it's sold out already )

No one has posted in the Comic Tower that they are going. Sorry to say.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks to Eric and Bob, I put your responses in the thread over there.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post

One of the longstanding "rules" of book collecting is to "follow the flag," meaning you should focus on the books published in the author's home country. Those will generally be the most desirable in the long run.

I think the only Canadian edition of a King book that I think is as collectible as a US first is a trade edition of THE REGULATORS by Bachman. I'm not at home right now to check but the publisher of the Canadian edition is different and makes for a different look to the spine. Dutton vs. Viking, maybe? I'd have to check. At any rate it is different from the US edition.
    Yah, it was more tongue in cheek pretending the lowly Canadian editions might be superior.

And you're right on the Regulators. Dutton vs Viking/Penguin.

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

As a new collector, its hard to figure out where to start. I really want to collect Dark Tower signed books, but I can only seem to find full sets up at the moment.

I have a few questions for you experienced collectors. Where do I start? I know that meeting people that also collect is a valuable resource.

One other question, is it possible that Remarques for DT7 are still floating around in AE copies that have yet to be opened? Or were most accounted for?

Oh, and also. Ebay seems very overpriced for the most part, when compared with stephenkingcollectors price guides. Where is a good place to start my elusive search.

Thanks!
    Cody44

Billy Bumbler oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave will become famous soon enough oy-the-brave's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by cody44 View Post
    One other question, is it possible that Remarques for DT7 are still floating around in AE copies that have yet to be opened? Or were most accounted for?
    Cody44

The remarques for DT7 were sold directly by Michael Whelan so everyone that got one knew what they were getting, they do show up for sale once in a while (although not any lately).

The Thermals cody44 is on a distinguished road cody44's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How does a PC relate to a numbered copy? is it worth more or less?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 567 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 115 165 565 ... LastLast