Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 474 of 567 FirstFirst ... 374 424 464 472 473 474 475 476 484 524 ... LastLast
Results 11,826 to 11,850 of 14171

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

FYI the DJ of that book is an aftermarket one. The original was issued without a dust jacket, however Betts Books had a DJ made and issued in February 1999. Your book almost certainly came from the original Betts store. NOte also the typ on the limitation page. There were 448 printed but it says numbered from 1 - 488!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    FYI the DJ of that book is an aftermarket one. The original was issued without a dust jacket, however Betts Books had a DJ made and issued in February 1999. Your book almost certainly came from the original Betts store. NOte also the typ on the limitation page. There were 448 printed but it says numbered from 1 - 488!
    That font looks like an Overlook Connection font. I'm probably wrong, but it sure looks like OC.

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow! I only got to meet my husband's aunt once before she died. I had been looking forward to MANY chats with her about SK and our collecting, but never got the chance. She has some nice things too; a near complete DT set (600's) with a signed 2nd printing Gunslinger, 1st's (I think) of Danse Macabre & Salem's, various limited editions of Eyes Of The Dragon, Insomnia, Desperation & Talisman, along with lots of 1st's and anthologies. I really wish we could have talked about them all! It hurts me to know that she didn't get a chance to read the end of the Dark Tower (her husband completed the Grant set).

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    That font looks like an Overlook Connection font. I'm probably wrong, but it sure looks like OC.
    Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the plate from her book. I don't see any other items in the collection that looks like it came from OC. I didn't see ANY extra Chadbourne illustrations when I was looking through. Again, I'll leave it to you experts, but I'd think she would have purchased from Bett's rather than OC. All of the S/Ls are still in their original boxes, so she really took care of them.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    The font is called "Horror" (or a derivative of) Its a freely available font and George used it in a number of his CP pages. The cover was definitely done for Betts - this came from George himself, he mentions it in his Collecting guide.

I don't believe Overlook had any involvement.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

How can you tell if a IT UK is a 1st? In our catalogue there is no pic of copyright page? Was there only a one time printing? I see the jacket has a 12.95 price.... just trying to find out. How many were made? Anyone know?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Kris here is the copyright page for the UK 1st if it helps:

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Library Policeman View Post

That is a LARGE HELP. Thanks mate
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Library Policeman View Post

That is a LARGE HELP. Thanks mate
    I'll update the article to be a little more specific.

Citizen of Gilead jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47 is just really nice jreitan47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TCCBodhi View Post
    I'm beginning to work on estimating my deceased family member's collection, and in the pictures that I took, there are a number of the George Beahm books. I'm not really too familiar with these older editions. Can anyone identify the one that is backwards on the shelf, and if possible, what editions of each these are? I doubt there is much real value, but it would be nice to know what is there. Thanks for any help I can get.

Hey Seth - Are you selling these from your Aunts collection? If so, I'd be interested in the Stephen King Companion (Revised Edition) s/l...the tan colored one on the far right w/o a dust jacket (it also wasn't issued in one).
    ~Jonathan

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry Jonathan, I don't have authority to sell them. In fact, the ultimate goal is to buy the collection whole so that it stays in the family. Neither of the kids are particularly interested in them, so I've told them all that I would really like to buy them (at some point), but I first need to get an inventory with approx market prices so I can submit an offer to them.

Once/If I do get a hold of them, I MIGHT sell some of the 'non-King' books, but that's an indeterminate time down the road. If it does happen, you'll see them here first.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

What Stephen King book is there NO'T a U.K. edition?

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    What Stephen King book is there NO'T a U.K. edition?
    Silver Bullet
    Secret Windows
    My Little Pony
    Six Stories
    Dolan's Cadillac
    Little Sisters of Eluria
    Hearts in Suspension
    Riding the Bullet
    Battleground
    Creepshow
    The Dark Man

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Probably a dumb question : we all hunt for first editions / first prints.
    I wonder if there are some people that collects for instance the very first versions of a movie. What would it be for movies like CARRIE?
    Obviously the versions from the cinema, and then the first VHS?

I guess there must be some
    > http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...1.html#gallery
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Being a Movie & King collector I saw no reason to keep my VHS copy of CARRIE as the film had been modified to fit my screen (Because at the time T.V.s were not Letterbox) so the image was wrong Then came the Laser Disk had great widescreen picture & sound (But every hour you had to get up & turn the disc over & if the movie was over 2 hours you had to get up & change the disc. Then came DVD GOOD PICTURE & SOUND did not have to get up & change the disc (But it did not have the Audio Essay as on the Laser) Then came Blu-Ray BEST PICTURE & SOUND (DTS 5.1 or MONO but still no Audio Essay).

Of course I still have DVD...That also came with an 8 page booklet.

and the LP.

Citizen of Gilead Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker is a splendid one to behold Cwalker's Avatar

Off the wall question with probably several different answers but here it is.
    In another thread there is some discussion of the size and location of a Letter on a Lettered Edition. I know one of the selling points for Limiteds is the understanding they are "hand numbered" or "hand lettered".
    However, it rarely states that they are hand written by the author, only that they are signed.

Is it possible, or even likely that the letters and numbers are actually done by someone else? Perhaps Danny the Intern got tasked with the job that day and was unaware as to the proper location, or by the time he reached the end of numbering and lettering 1500 copies he was just getting sloppy?

OR, is it a common practice for the author themselves to do the letters and numbers as they go along?
    Thanks!!
    "Thanks, but no, it isn't a cowboy hat. It's a fedora. And yes, Indianna Jones is still socially relevant."

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never heard of the author (King) hand numbering or lettering his books. The closest he ever did was dating the S/L copies of CujoFirestarter. They were signed and dated over a 4 day period. Even then, he didn't number them himself.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post
    In another thread there is some discussion of the size and location of a Letter on a Lettered Edition. I know one of the selling points for Limiteds is the understanding they are "hand numbered" or "hand lettered".
    However, it rarely states that they are hand written by the author, only that they are signed.

Is it possible, or even likely that the letters and numbers are actually done by someone else? Perhaps Danny the Intern got tasked with the job that day and was unaware as to the proper location, or by the time he reached the end of numbering and lettering 1500 copies he was just getting sloppy?

OR, is it a common practice for the author themselves to do the letters and numbers as they go along?
    Thanks!!
    I asked something similar on the CD forum years ago. Most of the time, someone that works at the publishing company does the numbering and lettering after the book has been assembled. They related a story of an instance where an author (not King) did in fact number the sig pages and it was a headache because one of the pages was lost I think.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalker View Post

Thanks!!
    Sorry, Danny the intern does the numbering. I was surprised thstcthey are not even done in order. By that I mean Danny is getting ready to ship my book he sees my number is 19. Writes 19 in the book and then crosses it off the master list to avoid duplication. I am sure each bookseller Does something similar, I just wish they would choose the person with best ha handwriting. There is post on the site somewhere talking about the process

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

The last thing a publisher wants is for the author to do the numbering. We're expressly told not to do that. We sign sheets that are subsequently bound into books, not sheets already in the books. Sometimes sheets are damaged at various stages of the process--we always sign an excess number to account for that. The books are only numbered after the sheets are bound in.

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll be lettering and numbering the portfolio myself, so if anyone doesn't like where they are, you know who to blame.

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There is no mention in the catalog that i can see - was the LEGENDS S/L originally issued with a glassine wrapper?
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    There is no mention in the catalog that i can see - was the LEGENDS S/L originally issued with a glassine wrapper?
    I believe so. There has been a listing on Ebay for quite a while with an apparent original wrapper... This book was for sale from the original owner (at least I think) and I was bidding on it. RWSELLERS won the auction and immediately re-listed it for much more. It has come down in price since then but is still high.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/132174185826...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

I've never heard of the author (King) hand numbering or lettering his books. The closest he ever did was dating the S/L copies of Cujo. They were signed and dated over a 4 day period. Even then, he didn't number them himself.
    Could "EL HEFE" have feet of clay?
    I am sure he meant to say FIRESTARTER not CUJO. But I could be wrong.
    Spoiler:
    Must have been that drone strike.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    I've never heard of the author (King) hand numbering or lettering his books. The closest he ever did was dating the S/L copies of Cujo. They were signed and dated over a 4 day period. Even then, he didn't number them himself.
    Could "EL HEFE" have feet of clay?
    I am sure he meant to say FIRESTARTER not CUJO. But I could be wrong.
    Spoiler:
    Must have been that drone strike.

That's me.

I corrected my post. Thanks for catching it.

Quote Originally Posted by surly View Post
    No glassine wrapper here.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 474 of 567 FirstFirst ... 374 424 464 472 473 474 475 476 484 524 ... LastLast