Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 313 of 567 FirstFirst ... 213 263 303 311 312 313 314 315 323 363 413 ... LastLast
Results 7,801 to 7,825 of 14175

Thread: Stephen King Collecting Questions

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Library Policeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    They are fairly scarce, especially considering they were issued as a promotional item.

John
    Thanks John. Was wondering as you don't seem to see them up for sale too often

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    Anyone know roughly how many of these were done?
    I nearly bought that - was it a 1st printing ?
    Glad you didn't, Simon! Yes it's a 1st printing.
    I decided against it because it was an ARC/Promo (which I don't collect) . There is another version out there (different type face) but I cant find any info on 1st printings (Which I DO collect if they are a PB and it is the only version of the story available - outside of a collection) - hey, my rules and it works for me
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The only other one that I know of was issued here in the USA as a mass-market paperback. I'll have to dig my copy out to see any first printing info.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice jonahwriter is on a distinguished road jonahwriter's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonahwriter View Post
    I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this question or if I should look for a "Just After Sunset" thread but does anyone know anything about "JAS" signed bookplates featuring graphic from "N"? Were these UK or US editions and were the bookplates sold separately or pasted into editions of the book? I'd love to pick up a signed bookplate for my Rachel Readman remarqued edition of "JAS". Also not sure where I'd find one. Appreciate any info on this. Thanks!

I got one from a friend inside the publisher. It was in the US edition.
    Thanks Ari.

I'm finding it hard to find out info about them. I saw one go on ebay a few months ago but the seller said they had pasted it inside the book themselves, so I'm still not sure if they were released separately or not. Do they ever turn up for sale? Anyone ever seen one? I'd like to put one in my remarqued copy if I can ever get one.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I would like one of those too
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The only other one that I know of was issued here in the USA as a mass-market paperback. I'll have to dig my copy out to see any first printing info.

John
    Thanks John!!
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Yeah I would like one of those too
    I'll take a couple.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Servant of Gan Roog has a spectacular aura about Roog has a spectacular aura about Roog's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Anyone know roughly how many of these were done?

Interesting book! What is the size of it?

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

It's the size of a regular UK paperback, Roog. Just a very thin one.

Servant of Gan Roog has a spectacular aura about Roog has a spectacular aura about Roog's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a scan of both the US and UK editions. The fronts:

And the backs:

The US edition is on the right.

The UK edition has 180 pages of text, the US 220. The US edition is slightly smaller vertically than the UK.

The US edition has a full number line on the copyright page, starting with a 1.

John

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What the hell is this picture of Steve on the backcover?
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If you had a dry area, not much light, kind of dusty... would you have your prized DT set wrapped? I have a guy who wraps books in my city and swears by it for protecting them from dust, moisture, hand prints, oils from touching... you name it. What you think? He will wrap my whole DT set for only a few bucks.. thoughts?
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    If you had a dry area, not much light, kind of dusty... would you have your prized DT set wrapped? I have a guy who wraps books in my city and swears by it for protecting them from dust, moisture, hand prints, oils from touching... you name it. What you think? He will wrap my whole DT set for only a few bucks.. thoughts?
    I see no problem with archival bags.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I wouldn't...contrary to what your guy says, that's a good way to trap moisture and ruin a book. That's why shrinkwrap should always be removed, and bags never sealed.

Besides, hermetically sealing a book just seems wrong to me...you should be able to open it and thumb through it from time to time if you wish, keep its spirit alive. Sealing it off to the world changes it from a potential doorway to creative expression to a block of paper and boards.

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I have DT3-WTTKH still in original shrinkwrap and I am going to take the wrap off sometime very soon, at which point I will probably put then in archival mylar.

G
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Country
    Country Flag

I know guys that have them shrinkwrapped since new.. and we are talking 30+ years. I wonder if there is any definitive proof?? Be nice to know as I am on the fence for the reasons listed so far...
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

On an anecdotal level, I have had two books from prominent publishers that were shrinkwrapped that had mildew issues. I've also read comments from book conservators that this issue does exist. To what degree is debatable and I would guess depends on a number of factors -- environment where it was wrapped, materials used, etc. -- but why even gamble?

Country
    Country Flag

A collector should always remove the shrink wrap to inspect the book. Even a brand new book directly from the publisher could have issues. I've seen mold, mildew, damp staining, creased dustjackets, creased pages, printing errors, glue in various places, book not signed, book not numbered/lettered, etc.. I can see a reseller leaving it on though.

If you use archival bags then your books are protected and accessible.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Using an archival plastic bag to protect your books should not in any way be considered "hermetically sealing" the item. The bag is loose enough that, even if closed with a piece of tape, still allows air to circulate pretty freely.

John

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    What the hell is this picture of Steve on the backcover?
    It says the pioto is by Dennis Marsico on the back cover.

John

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The UK edition has 180 pages of text, the US 220. The US edition is slightly smaller vertically than the UK.

John

John, firstly thanks for this and secondly, does that mean the UK ONLY had the promo edition? no mass market version?

Demon of the Prim Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads is just really nice Ben Eads's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Unless the archival bags are from brodart and have a zip-seal at the top.

Of course, I'm sure after 100 years or so the zip-lock seal would give up the ghost.
    WANTED:

Dust jacket for The Shining SNL.

Dust jacket for 25th Anniversary edition of IT, signed, numbered, tray-cased copy.

Signed numbered limited edition of Josh Malerman's Goblin, published by Earthling Publications.

Using an archival plastic bag to protect your books should not in any way be considered "hermetically sealing" the item. The bag is loose enough that, even if closed with a piece of tape, still allows air to circulate pretty freely.

John
    I agree; I was using that term to describe what webstar indicates was a shrinkwrapping operation: "would you have your prized DT set wrapped? I have a guy who wraps books in my city and swears by it"...didn't sound like bags to me since you don't need someone to put your books in bags for you, hence my assumption of the shrinkwrap. That said, though, some conservators contend that bags shouldn't even be taped as it still has the potential to trap moisture. I don't know that I'd go that far, but I do tend to keep any of my books in bags (in my case, primarily old pbos (paperback originals from the 50s and 60s)) very loosely sealed.

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post

John

John, firstly thanks for this and secondly, does that mean the UK ONLY had the promo edition? no mass market version?
    Correct. I've not seen a regular (for sale) UK mass-market paperback. Only a very few promotional ones. I've not seen a US promo edition.

John

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post

John
    I agree; I was using that term to describe what webstar indicates was a shrinkwrapping operation: "would you have your prized DT set wrapped? I have a guy who wraps books in my city and swears by it"...didn't sound like bags to me since you don't need someone to put your books in bags for you, hence my assumption of the shrinkwrap. That said, though, some conservators contend that bags shouldn't even be taped as it still has the potential to trap moisture. I don't know that I'd go that far, but I do tend to keep any of my books in bags (in my case, primarily old pbos (paperback originals from the 50s and 60s)) very loosely sealed.
    I don't tape my bags either. Only when I sell an item and ship it will I tape the bag with a single piece of tape.

John

+ Reply to Thread
Page 313 of 567 FirstFirst ... 213 263 303 311 312 313 314 315 323 363 413 ... LastLast