Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Care for Your Dust Jackets

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    I have a question about dust jackets. I bought some new ones from Grant Books (rolled in a tube so never folded) and now I'm too paranoid to put them on because I'm afraid I'll mess them up (folding crookedly, etc). Does anyone have any tips for me? I didn't see another how-to with this topic so if there is one out there a link would be appreciated. One thing that peeves me is a jacket that is not aligned along the spine so the lettering it off center so this is something that I really want to get right.
    Thanks!
    This is what I did in the same sort of situation, I put the mylar on the old DJ which molded the mylar to the shape of the DJ then removed the old DJ and put the new unmolded one in it's place, the mylar will act like a perfect guide and line up the spine really well

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    This is what I did in the same sort of situation, I put the mylar on the old DJ which molded the mylar to the shape of the DJ then removed the old DJ and put the new unmolded one in it's place, the mylar will act like a perfect guide and line up the spine really well
    There you go.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    I find it easier to put the Brodart on first.
    Really? I would think the other way, but I have never had to do it either.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just want to make sure I have this straight....
    I have two that aren't in Brodarts so I should put the DJs I want to replace in the Brodarts so the protector will be prefitted and then put the new jackets in.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    Just want to make sure I have this straight....
    I have two that aren't in Brodarts so I should put the DJs I want to replace in the Brodarts so the protector will be prefitted and then put the new jackets in.
    Yeah, so the old dust jacket that already has the creases in it will make a mold out of the mylar and then the unfolded DJ will be molded by the mylar into it's correct shape, you just have to put it in to where the spine is in place and the mylar will do the rest, wish I could do it for you because I have done probably about five hundred covers now and I can do it in my sleep, once you do a few dozen of them, you will be a pro at it

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for your help guys, glad I asked before I started on this project.

no prob, hope it worked out all right for you

Gunslinger Apprentice BrighterDeathNow will become famous soon enough

There hasn't been a post made in this thread in over a year, but hopefully some will see this.

What are your thoughts on stickers that are placed on dust jackets? Should they be removed? Or not.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

They should be removed if they have been applied by the bookstore or seller. They can actually decrease the value of the book.

John

Sorry, should have put this in my first post.

The sticker in question is a metallic gold seal stating "10th Anniversary Edition w/introduction by Author". Placed there by the publisher I'm guessing. I tried posting a photo but it was huge in the preview window.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by BrighterDeathNow View Post
    Sorry, should have put this in my first post.

The sticker in question is a metallic gold seal stating "10th Anniversary Edition w/introduction by Author". Placed there by the publisher I'm guessing. I tried posting a photo but it was huge in the preview window.
    I would leave that one on the book, since it came that way from the publisher

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Stickered books often become a different 'state' of an edition. For Example, Cycle of the Werewolf (PB) has 3 states, the 1st two differ only because of a sticker that was added when the Movie Silver bullet was released.

"A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, and in case you want to remove stickers that have been there a while or are really sticky, I've found that Clean Cover Gel is awesome and removes all traces of residue. It also is good for removing marker, pen and most dirt. This only applies to glossy coated dust jackets. I wouldn't try it on an unfinished paper but it does work on fabric covered books.

http://www.shopbrodart.com/supplies/...ean-Cover-Gel/
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Here's the sticker in question.

Would you leave it?

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, if it were me I would leave it. I remove stickers that have something like 20% off or the name of the store.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Would you leave it?

Yes, leave it

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Leave it.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Would you leave it?

I'd leave that one on there. As Eric and the Goblin said, if it's from the publisher, leave it there.

John

Thanks everyone!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Would you leave it?

Yes, leave it since it is not a First/First. otherwise, remove it and if possible re-apply it to the Brodart cover. IMHO
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Bill, I don't agree. You take the chance of damaging the dust jacket if you try to remove the sticker. I'd say if it's put on by the publisher, leave it alone,

John

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Bill, I don't agree. You take the chance of damaging the dust jacket if you try to remove the sticker. I'd say if it's put on by the publisher, leave it alone,

John
    You make a very good point. In my experience though you can generally tell if it's coming off in the first couple picks at it. If the publisher puts it on I suppose you're right and should just leave well enough alone. What really ticks me off is the B&N 20% off stickers!! Usually they come off in one piece, but they can be a real PITA!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed!

John

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed!

John
    Imagine that!! LOL You're a corker, John!! LOL You may have just inspired me to start a B&N 20% sticker mural!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

John
    I tend to agree. A publisher's sticker is the exception.

Also perhaps not everyone should attempt to remove stickers.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast