Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Care for Your Dust Jackets

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default HOW TO: Care for Your Dust Jackets

This may be a weird question, but here goes. Is there a way to clean a glossy dust jacket that has these spots. I'm not sure what the spots are from, perhaps dirt or somesuch. I'm sure you guys will know what I'm talking about. I just bought a book that has a dark dust jacket and its beauty is ruined by these rather numerous spots all over. Rubbing it with a napkin and my shirt did not produce much of a result. What to do?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

That is tough without knowing the stain. If the DJ is glossy, you can try to clean with a barely damp cloth. Most soil and oils would come out that way. If it is a grease type substance, a tiny amount of liquid dish soap on the cloth will help.
    Prior to trying any of these on the DJ itself, experiment on a DJ that is similar (glossy etc) that if damaged won't be a problem-not only can you figure out what cleanser might damage a DJ, but you can also get an idea how hard you can rub before damage occurs.
    How valuable is the DJ? If it and the book are only worth a few bucks you have nothing to lose. If it's a 1st edition 1st printing Gunslinger trade DJ I would ponder and research longer before jumping right in with mineral spirits etc.
    Last edited by Randall Flagg; 06-20-2012 at 02:50 PM.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's these spots that to me look sort of like scuff marks. The jacket isn't new, and so I'm looking for a way to "polish" it.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

If they are scuff marks, they are likely to remain. A dustjacket in my experience can not be polished. A Dj is just glossy paper, not paint covered metal.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

This stuff is great on spots and scuff marks!

No, no, I'm only kidding. Sorry.

Unfortunately I think you're stuck with the scuff marks, but adding a nice Brodart jacket cover might make them less noticeable to the casual observer.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Vagrant Dead Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak is a jewel in the rough Nerak's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking

Patrick beat me to the brodart dust jacket suggestion...

but, yeah, scuff marks cannot be "buffed out"
    Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, stronger than you seem and smarter than you think.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Actually, I spent the last hour or two looking up book restoration and paper conservation. There are in fact ways to remove them, but I wouldn't reccomend trying it yourself if the books are of a high value. I'd suggest contacting someone who does paper conservation professionally. I did send emails out to a couple places to see if I got any suggestions.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a link with some book cleaning products. One might be up your alley

http://www.shopbrodart.com/site_page...ook_repair.htm

Gunslinger Apprentice Ikilledthecrimsonking is on a distinguished road Ikilledthecrimsonking's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i agrey with Pablo

Banned sarajean is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Actually, I spent the last hour or two looking up book restoration and paper conservation. There are in fact ways to remove them, but I wouldn't reccomend trying it yourself if the books are of a high value. I'd suggest contacting someone who does paper conservation professionally. I did send emails out to a couple places to see if I got any suggestions.
    wow. brice is on top of things. awesome.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Last edited by Patrick; 11-02-2007 at 09:39 PM. Reason: my mistake.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

This may help with my inquiry. The dust jacket scuff marks or whatever they may be look a lot like this:

So, again, the DJ is glossy and it feels like they could be scrubbed out with something. I just don't want to attempt anything epic and ruin the DJ unless I know it's doable.
    Last edited by mae; 06-20-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I like the phrase "epic" used that way.

For me, I would be too afraid of ruining it to touch it with anything
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

This thread was buried in the Corner. I've renamed it and moved it into Tutorials for future reference and discussion.

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

any suggestions on how to improve on the typical chipping and scuffing on the gunslinger dust jacket? I have several copies and they are in broadart, but I wonder if there is a reasonable price restorationist who could touch these up and improve their eye appeal. I would hate to ruin these dj with a poor repair from an inexperienced restorationist

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I would guess that at this time, an experienced restorations person and I doubt any are familiar with this DJ) would cost more than than the DJ itself. Just guessing but one could spend ~$200-$500 for an expert restoration, and probably could find a mint jacket for <$500. In addition minor-very minor chipping still leaves an old DJ in "Fine" condition.

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

YEah, thats what I was afraid of, but I never actually tried to get someone to look at it so i wasnt sure. Thanks

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Dust jacket and slipcase?

I have a question about dust jackets. If a book has a slipcase, would you need to put a Mylar book cover on the dust jacket? Or would that be overkill?
    I have a couple of slipcased books and I am worried about the dust jackets.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't hesitate to put a Mylar cover on a book that's in a slipcase unless it causes the book to fit too tightly into the slipcase.

John

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    This may help with my inquiry. The dust jacket scuff marks or whatever they may be look a lot like this:

So, again, the DJ is glossy and it feels like they could be scrubbed out with something. I just don't want to attempt anything epic and ruin the DJ unless I know it's doable.
    pablo, your image is defunct.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post

pablo, your image is defunct.
    Yeah, Amazon changed something in the intervening five years. I've fixed it. Thanks.

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have a question about dust jackets. I bought some new ones from Grant Books (rolled in a tube so never folded) and now I'm too paranoid to put them on because I'm afraid I'll mess them up (folding crookedly, etc). Does anyone have any tips for me? I didn't see another how-to with this topic so if there is one out there a link would be appreciated. One thing that peeves me is a jacket that is not aligned along the spine so the lettering it off center so this is something that I really want to get right.
    Thanks!

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm assuming you already have the DJ in a Brodart or similar mylar cover.

I find it easiest to line up the spine first.
    Wrap it around the book, but not around the front and back covers. This will allow you to adjust the placement on the spine and to square it up along the bottom or top edge of the cover boards. It's easiest for me to do this with the book laying on the table to help keep the jacket in place.

One you have it positioned correctly, loosely wrap the jacket around the front cover. You don't want to actually fold it yet, in case you placement is off.
    Close the cover and adjust the cover to it isn't fitting too loosely and then pinch the jacket around the front board to start folding it.
    I usually do that a few times to get a good fit without putting a hard crease in the DJ.

Once you are done with that, flip the book over and repeat for the back cover. Since the front cover is already folded on, this will allow you to adjust the back cover to remove any extra slack in the cover, which will make it fit nicely.

Does that all make sense?
    Mark Twain

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Scoogs. I have Brodarts but haven't put them on. I presume I would fit the jacket then put it in the Brodart, right. Or would you put it in the protector first then fit it to the book?

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I find it easier to put the Brodart on first.
    Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast